PDA

View Full Version : Marcin Gortat drives the fastest car in the NBA

hater
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
still feel sorry for him??? :rolleyes

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/10/marcin-gortat-drives-fastest-car-in-nba/

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2009/06/marcin-gortat-car-0609-425.jpg

hater
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
ORLANDO -- As the backup to the best center in the NBA, unheralded Marcin Gortat doesn't cause much of a stir when he enters and leaves a game.

He causes quite a commotion, though, every night when he arrives and departs the arena. He has arguably the loudest, fastest car in a league that is filled with players who drive some of the fastest, sleekest, most elegant rides in America.

"People in this country don't know me yet for my game, but people around this town know my car,'' Gortat said as he was showing off his ride to FanHouse. "I don't think there are any cars out on the street that could beat me. I have an engine like something in NASCAR. This car is fast. It's perfect.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also: Reebok Tells Gortat Jordan Tattoo Won't Fly
Magic Will Offer Van Gundy, Smith Extensions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before he starts it, Gortat's car doesn't look any different than any other car in parking lot filled with rich people. It's a new BMW M5, shiny and black and looking like a million dollars.

But once he starts pulling away, you can hear and feel the power, even at a distance. A part-time mechanic in his native Poland before he signed his first NBA contract, Gortat has made myriad modifications to the car that now includes an 800 horsepower engine, which is big even for a high-performance vehicle, and plenty of supercharged accessories. It makes the Harley Davidson motorcycle driven by Magic general manager Otis Smith sound quiet.

"It could go over 200 mph, maybe 225 mph. I don't want to drive that fast, but what matters is how quick it goes from 0-60."
- Marcin Gortat "It could go over 200 mph, maybe 225 mph,'' he said. "I don't want to drive that fast, but what matters is how quick it goes from 0-60. I can pull up next to a Ferrari or Lamborghini at a light, look over, and they might start laughing. But when it turns green, I'm gone, waiting at the next light when they get there, and I'm the one laughing then.''

Gortat admittedly has been stopped and ticketed a few times by law enforcement on the streets of Central Florida, yet he still has a valid driver's license. He usually gets only warnings now. His status as a Magic player in a one-sport town doesn't hurt. And neither does his disarming, personable nature. He is a likeable guy, well known around town.

"I shake my head every time I see him pulling away,'' said one Seminole County (Fla) police officer who did not want his name being used. "We all know who he is. But it's hard not to like him.''

Gortat is in the second year of his original NBA contract, paying him $711,000 this season. He often marvels at the fleet of cars owned by star center Dwight Howard – who is in the midst of an $80 million contract -- and the two joke about who has the fastest car.

Every time he pulls away from the Magic's practice facility or the arena, Gortat revs up the engine, reveling in the attention it brings him. He is happy to offer you a test ride as a passenger, or a chance to sit in the driver's seat and step on the accelerator just to feel the power.

"Dwight has a $300,000 car with 600 horsepower. I have a $150,000 car with 800 horsepower,'' he said. "Mine is like an airplane. It's something I've always wanted. I probably have the fastest car in Florida, maybe in the NBA.''

Gortat is the only Polish-born player in the NBA, and just the third player from Poland to reach the league. Since coming to the Magic in 2007 as a second-round pick, he has improved considerably this season. He is a free agent this summer, and there is likely a center-starved team in the league that might make him a starter.

He has averaged just 11.4 minutes, 3.2 points, 3.4 minutes through the playoffs, but he played only a disappointing four minutes in Game 3 against the Lakers Tuesday night.

The last time the Magic were in the NBA Finals, Shaquille O'Neal would arrive at the arena with the music in his truck so loud and with so much bass, that it would rattle the windows in nearby homes. Gortat now arrives without the fanfare of O'Neal, but every bit the commotion.

"Rashard Lewis has his horses. Dwight has his fleet. Adonal Foyle is buying an island with his money,'' Gortat said. "I have my dream car. And it's fast.''

hater
07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
damn, didn't know Gortat was cool like that

Reebok to Marcin Gortat: Jordan Tattoo Won't Fly

ORLANDO -- There is good and bad to the bright lights of the NBA Finals -- even for a relatively unknown backup center like Marcin Gortat of the Orlando Magic.

Gortat, in just his second NBA season, and the only player in the league from Poland, becomes a restricted free agent this summer. He has helped himself immensely with consistent performances during this playoff run, attracting attention from other teams around the league.

He also received an uncomfortable phone call last weekend from Reebok, with whom he has a shoe contract. Representatives of the company were not happy to see a picture of him from Game 1 in a Polish newspaper that prominently displayed his Michael Jordan/Nike logo tattoo on his lower right leg.

Also: Gortat Claims to Have Fastest Car in NBA
Exclusive: Van Gundy Will Be Offered Extension

Reebok asked him either to wear higher socks Tuesday night to cover up the tattoo, or to apply makeup so it will not be noticed through the rest of the NBA Finals.

"They called and said I had to do something about it, but that ain't going to happen,'' Gortat said after Tuesday morning's workout.

"I've been wearing it 4-5 years now, and it helped me get to the NBA," said Gortat. "They didn't say anything about it when I signed the contract, so it's not going anywhere. I don't think they are paying me enough to take it off.'' :lol

Gortat would not say how much his Reebok contract is worth beyond the shoes he is provided to wear, but he said it was minimal compared to what the stars of the league receive.

"I've heard from other people that even other players, if they don't know my name, they know I'm the big white guy with the Jordan tattoo,'' he said. "I like that. Reebok will have to get used to that.''

Gortat has averaged just 12 minutes a game through the playoffs, averaging 3.3 points and 3.5 rebounds as a backup to Dwight Howard. But his role in the Finals is becoming more significant because the Magic also are using him as a backup power forward, helping against the Lakers big front line.

Gortat has averaged 18 minutes, four points and 5.5 rebounds in the two losses against the Lakers. He expects to play even more Tuesday night in Game 3, hoping to specifically slow down Lakers sixth man Lamar Odom, who has been huge in the Finals. Odom has averaged 15 points and 11 rebounds against the Magic.

"I promise you, he won't score as much. He won't get as many rebounds if I'm out there against him,'' Gortat said. "Other guys on our team have to stop Kobe Bryant. I have to stop Lamar Odom. I can do that. I'm supposed to come off the bench and stop him. If I do that, it will give us a better chance to win."

YoMamaIsCallin
07-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, um, if Reebok's paying you the bucks, you don't get photographed showing your Nike logo. If I were Reebok, I'd be docking his checks $100K each time a new photo of him and the Nike logo appears somewhere.

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
His car isn't that ridiculous. 800 hp is a lot, but in a huge car like an m5, it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be able to outrun everyone. Going fast in a car is all about thrust/weight ratio. I have a feeling there are a number of cars around that would be faster, and if he ever took that boat of a car to a track, he'd get completely destroyed by anything that can actually turn.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of cars in the U.S. that are street legal and produce over 1000 bhp. A Supra or a Twin Turbo Nissan 300zx are extremely lightweight cars that can produce in excess of 800 hp, and at that point they are still easily under the $100,000 price mark.

jacobdrj
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
No way Gortat can yet afford a Bugatti Veyron.

BacktoBasics
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Proper drivetrain would overcome any weight to power ratios. I'm not saying its the fastest just saying that HP and torque aren't everything.

duncan228
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Boys and their toys.

Hennessey Performance recently built a supercharged Dodge Challenger for 2-time NBA MVP, Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs. Here is his car on the dyno making nearly 500 rwhp

Tim Duncan's 2008 Challenger with the Hennessey HPE600 Supercharged upgrade on the chassis
9Q4cEY8R1R4

The 360 Modena Duncan brought back from Italy in '99 when he toured the Ferrari factory there.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/9-16-993.jpg

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Proper drivetrain would overcome any weight to power ratios. I'm not saying its the fastest just saying that HP and torque aren't everything.

Marginally, and maybe at the very top end, but if you're telling me that a lighter car developing the same or more horsepower if put together right will be outrun by one that's probably at least 1000 pounds heavier? No way. Until I see some actual data regarding how fast he accelerates, it's just not going to happen. He's not the only guy who knows how to put a car together. There are 1000hp Vipers around that I'm relatively certain would eat his lunch.

This isn't hating, I think his car is beautiful and I'm sure it's fast as hell. But an article proclaiming a big heavy m5 to be the "fastest car in Florida" is kind of ridiculous, even if you're only talking street legal. He hasn't dynoed the car or had any kind of track figures run about it's 0-60, 0-100, or quarter mile time. To make the claim that it's the fastest in a state of almost 20 million people? Come on, now. I'm betting there's an Enzo, F50, or Veyron around.

BacktoBasics
07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Marginally, and maybe at the very top end, but if you're telling me that a lighter car developing the same or more horsepower if put together right will be outrun by one that's probably at least 1000 pounds heavier? No way. Until I see some actual data regarding how fast he accelerates, it's just not going to happen. He's not the only guy who knows how to put a car together. There are 1000hp Vipers around that I'm relatively certain would eat his lunch.

This isn't hating, I think his car is beautiful and I'm sure it's fast as hell. But an article proclaiming a big heavy m5 to be the "fastest car in Florida" is kind of ridiculous, even if you're only talking street legal. He hasn't dynoed the car or had any kind of track figures run about it's 0-60, 0-100, or quarter mile time. To make the claim that it's the fastest in a state of almost 20 million people? Come on, now. I'm betting there's an Enzo, F50, or Veyron around.Well we're talking about anywhere from 700-1000lbs heavier in comparison to other high performance cars. Now most, including the lambos, have about 500-600 hp. I can't speak for a 1000hp Viper but in comparison to most of the competition his 800-900 hp M5 might keep up just fine with a typical lambo. Not saying his claims are legit just saying its possible his car is as quick as a lambo.

Cry Havoc
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Well we're talking about anywhere from 700-1000lbs heavier in comparison to other high performance cars. Now most, including the lambos, have about 500-600 hp. I can't speak for a 1000hp Viper but in comparison to most of the competition his 800-900 hp M5 might keep up just fine with a typical lambo. Not saying his claims are legit just saying its possible his car is as quick as a lambo.

Oh, I agree with that. Lambroghinis are fast but they aren't built for the dragstrip. Same with Ferrari designed cars. He apparently wants a car that goes fast in a straight line. I'm curious as to how that huge, heavy m5 will handle on a course like Nürburgring.

in2deep
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, um, if Reebok's paying you the bucks, you don't get photographed showing your Nike logo. If I were Reebok, I'd be docking his checks $100K each time a new photo of him and the Nike logo appears somewhere.

like Gortat said, when he signed the contract they did not mention his tattoo. He already had it for 4 years. Fuck Reebok. Just because you have a contract does not mean they own you.

Gortat is a cool dude!

in2deep
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
love m5s!

the m5 has a 7 speed SMG gear box. With the speed that box changes gears, I do beleive he could keep up with Ferrari's and Lambos.

in2deep
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM

This isn't hating, I think his car is beautiful and I'm sure it's fast as hell. But an article proclaiming a big heavy m5 to be the "fastest car in Florida" is kind of ridiculous, even if you're only talking street legal. He hasn't dynoed the car or had any kind of track figures run about it's 0-60, 0-100, or quarter mile time. To make the claim that it's the fastest in a state of almost 20 million people? Come on, now. I'm betting there's an Enzo, F50, or Veyron around.

beleive me. An m5 with usual 500 stock hp can run 11 seconds with that gearbox. I have no doubt an 800hp m5 can run 10s

but I agree. no way fastest car in florida.

turiaf for president
07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
"what matters is how quick it goes from 0-60"

fucken noob. magazine racing FTL

DDS4
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
*jealous*

I'm curious as to how he got the extra 300 hp on his M5.

turiaf for president
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM
doubt he dynoed that to see his actual numbers. he prolly added the list HPS on the mods he put on and added them up to come up with 800.

nkdlunch
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
alls I know is I would not fuck with a 800hp m5 in my "measly" m3. Shit, I would not fuck with it in a Porche. (because I would crash it)

Mr. Body
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Hope he looks up the Wiki for Petrovic, Drazen.