PDA

View Full Version : No Chandler Trade w/ Wallace bought out (yes); Lopez Impressive in Summer League Win

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Believe it or not Phoenix still has a team, just a quick update even a pessimist like me is happy about.

Via the Arizona Republic:

The Suns completed a contract buyout Monday for Wallace, whom they acquired for such financial motivation in the Shaquille O'Neal trade in June. The Suns negotiated a $10 million buyout for a contract that would have paid him $14 million this season.
The Suns could save $8 million as a result of the buyout, because next season's payroll projects (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/13/20090713spt-wallacebutout.html#) to exceed a $69.9 million luxury-tax threshold, kicking in a dollar-for-dollar penalty for the excess.

Lopez, the Suns second-year center, led all players in scoring (24 points) and rebounds (16, including five on the offensive side). The Suns never trailed against the Mavericks, who lost for the third time in three games.Lopez did what he was supposed to do in dominating non-NBA talent. The Mavericks started chunky Nathan Jawai at center and he failed to make any of his five shots against Lopez's length. Lopez's work on his shot showed as he made 10 of 12 free throws. Lopez made 69 percent of his free throws last season for the Suns.
Lopez was a force. He went after every rebound. He deterred every penetrator with a hand up, a block (he had two swats) or a foul (four, including another Shaq-influenced staredown when he knocked a Mav guard down). Again, there's not much on this Mavericks roster, but Lopez's confident play was impressive.

So not something to get over zealous about since the summer league matters very little, but at least us Suns fans are starting to see at least some promise in Robin Lopez.

For Dallas fans to be somewhat happy about at my expense:

The Suns' other 2008 draft pick, Goran Dragic, did not fare as well with a 1-for-7 afternoon from the field (and only 1 for 3 at the line) against Rodrigue Beaubois and Aaron Miles.

Culburn369
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
So, boiled down it's Marion for Pavlovic.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-14-2009, 03:55 PM
So, boiled down it's Marion for Pavlovic.

I'd be very surprised if Kerr doesn't cut Pavlovic, it's Marion for Cleveland's 2010 2nd round pick.

The Suns weren't going to win shit if they kept Marion in 2008, Marion has had little value for god knows how long based on what has happened since that trade (so chances are kerr wasn't going to get very many future assets for him), and the Suns didn't win shit with Shaq.

I'll get mad and throw a tantrum when the Suns front office REALLY screws something up, but the sequence you mentioned was inevitable to some extent.

Bob Lanier
07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Lopez did what he was supposed to do in dominating non-NBA talent.
Something about that sounds familiar.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Something about that sounds familiar.

It doesn't mean much, but I'd much rather read about him dominating non-NBA talent than getting dominated by non-NBA talent.

Jeremy
07-15-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd be very surprised if Kerr doesn't cut Pavlovic, it's Marion for Cleveland's 2010 2nd round pick.

And since it's a 2nd round pick, the player might not make the team. We could very well end up with absolutely nothing in return for Shaq (except cash!).

KidCongo
07-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Suns fans what's your opinion of Diaw? Would he fit in Cleveland as the starting 4? I really don't think we could get him from Charlotte as Brown likes him but any insight on him would be nice.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Suns fans what's your opinion of Diaw? Would he fit in Cleveland as the starting 4? I really don't think we could get him from Charlotte as Brown likes him but any insight on him would be nice.

Bad fit. Diaw needs to be the focal point and needs the ball early and often to be effective. He's also a good 1 on 1 post defender, but his help defense and pick and roll defense is mediocre at best. IMO they need to think more defense for the 4 position.

KidCongo
07-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Bad fit. Diaw needs to be the focal point and needs the ball early and often to be effective. He's also a good 1 on 1 post defender, but his help defense and pick and roll defense is mediocre at best. IMO they need to think more defense for the 4 position.

Cheers.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Plus as you said Larry Brown loves him and won't trade him.

Jeremy
07-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Yep, I agree with DoK.