PDA

View Full Version : NBAtv: 2001 NBA All-Star Game

Mr. Body
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
It's the 2001 All-Star game on right now. 2003 is up next -- I guess it's a sideways tribute to the MLB tonight?

Anyway... It's the second quarter and for the west we see:

David Robinson
Antonio McDyess (Denver)
Rasheed Wallace (Portland)
Michael Finley (Dallas)
Gary Payton (Seattle)

First, it's nostalgic watching the Admiral in action, as always. Even then he was awesome.

Second, it's amazing how long the best players stick around. Career longetivity is pretty impressive, and there's a reason even in their last years there is a lot of competition for their services. On the east you even see Glenn Robinson (lol).

Third, and perhaps more to the point, WE ARE VERY, VERY LUCKY. Almost every single one of these players has played on multiple teams. Only maybe Kobe Bryant remains after Duncan and Robinson as a guy who stuck with the same team his entire career (Malone is there, but went mercenary). We'd better savor these last years of Duncan, because our next franchise player, whenever he comes on board, may be in this different mold.

bishopospurs
07-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I miss David Robinson playing... he was so good I would sign his first born son no questions asked. Žydrūnas Ilgauskas is a life long Cav, not exactly Duncan, Kobe, or D Rob though.

tp2021
07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Third, and perhaps more to the point, WE ARE VERY, VERY LUCKY. Almost every single one of these players has played on multiple teams. Only maybe Kobe Bryant remains after Duncan and Robinson as a guy who stuck with the same team his entire career (Malone is there, but went mercenary). We'd better savor these last years of Duncan, because our next franchise player, whenever he comes on board, may be in this different mold.

I don't always agree with your takes, but I think this is a very good post.

galvatron3000
07-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Spurs vs Suns 2004 on ESPN Classic now

ffadicted
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
We'd better savor these last years of Duncan, because our next franchise player, whenever he comes on board, may be in this different mold.

:depressed:depressed

cornbread
07-14-2009, 05:35 PM
We'd better savor these last years of Duncan, because our next franchise player, whenever he comes on board, may be in this different mold.
It's been an amazing 20 years since we landed Robinson. The run won't last forever. After last year's shitty playoffs, I hope SA fans will bring some serious enthusiasm. The FO did their job put together a team of winners. Now we gotta do our part and show the love.

manustarting2gd
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
2004 AS Game on NBATV