PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Final Roster Prediction

CyberBob
07-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so excuse me if this is repetitive.

Seems like the Spurs roster is set. Tell me where this is wrong...

Guaranteed

Duncan
Parker
Jefferson
McDyess
Ginobili
Finley
Mason
Hill
Bonner
Mahinmi

Non-Guaranteed

Blair
McClinton
Haislip
Hairson
Williams

SenorSpur
07-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Forgot about the Gist

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
my prediction as of right now, which means absolutely nothing, since I can't tell the future and there could be other moves(like trades, or minimum signings)..in order of minutes they will get/depth chart..

PG: Parker/Hill..
SG: Manu/Mason..
SF: Jefferson/Hairston/Finley..
PF: McDyess/Blair/Bonner..
C: Duncan/Mahinmi..

I'd like to see Haislip play though, I have a good feeling about him..I wouldn't be surprised to see him ahead of Ian and Bonner..

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM

kobyz
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Haislip is Guaranteed

Duncan2177
07-14-2009, 06:14 PM
PG: Parker/Hill
SG: Manu/Mason/Hairston
SF: Jefferson/Finley/Haislip
PF: Duncan/Blair/Bonner
C: McDyess/Mahinmi

chasky
07-14-2009, 06:19 PM
The spurs roster:

PG: Parker, Hill.
SG: Ginobili, Mason, McClinton.
SF: Jefferson, Finley, Hairson.
PF: McDyess, Bonner, Haslip, Blair, Gist.
C: Duncan, Mahinmi.

And a Lot of SMALLBALL!!!

Probably we can sign other center with de LLE o the third PG. In this case Gist or McClinton are out.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Parker / Hill / unknown veteran
Manu / Mason
Jefferson / Finley / Hairston
Duncan / Blair / Bonner / Haislip
McDyess / Mahinmi / unknown veteran

ducks
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
blair will be guaranteed

GSH
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Agree that Haislip is guaranteed, and Blair will be. I don't think McClinton or Williams make the roster. And I'd give about even money that we'll re-sign either Bowen or Fab to a minimum contract. (I wouldn't be shocked if we signed both.)

I don't see any changes to the Guaranteed portion of the roster, unless it involved a trade of Bonner and/or Finley. And there aren't many realistic options that would really bring an upgrade to the team. I could see trading one or both of them in a salary dump move, by taking advantage of the 125% rule. But like it or not, those two guys are going to get minutes this year, so we would have to pick up one more respectable player. I honestly don't see who that would be.

I think we're pretty close to having a roster set. In a way, it would be nice for all the players to know where they stand.

biziofromdowntown
07-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Tp/gh
rmj/mg/mh
rj/mf/jg
td/db/mh
amd/im/mb

superbigtime
07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Tp/gh
rmj/mg/mh
rj/mf/jg
td/db/mh
amd/im/mb

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

biziofromdowntown
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

what about alpha n omega? :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
C McDyess/Wallace :)
PF Duncan/Blair/Mahinmi/Haislip
SF Jefferson/Nocioni
SG Manu/Mason/Hairston
PG Tony/Hill

FilSpursFan
07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Manu / Mason

...like BIG BEN?

exstatic
07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Roster thread!!

mookie2001
07-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Roster thread!!i was hoping for a lineup thread

what do yall think the starting lineups will look like this season?

BackHome
07-14-2009, 08:01 PM
PG. Tony/Hill
SG. Manu/Mason/McClinton (Hill)
SF. Jefferson/Gist/Beck
PF. Dice/Blair (Haislip/Gist)
C. Duncan/Haislip/Veteran (Dice)

mookie2001
07-14-2009, 08:13 PM
ahh jeez

eyeh8u
07-14-2009, 11:50 PM
PG- John Stockton
SG- Jordan
SF - Young Penny hardaway
PF - Duncan
Center - Duncan Clone

thats the spurs roster..... on my ps3

VivaPopovich
07-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Bonner guaranteed but Blair isn't?

this is making me sick.

coyotes_geek
07-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Bonner guaranteed but Blair isn't?

this is making me sick.

Perhaps waiting until the Spurs actually sign Blair to a contract first would be appropriate?

montgod
07-15-2009, 12:16 AM
PG: Parker/Hill
SG: Mason/Manu/Hairston
SF: Jefferson/Finley/Williams
PF: Duncan/Blair/Haislip
C: McDyess/Bonner/Mahinmi

And a third pg will be added somewhere.

buttsR4rebounding
07-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Manu / Mason

+1

Might not even sign another big w/ 6 on the roster already and leave a spot open for other additons or just to save a few bucks.

buttsR4rebounding
07-15-2009, 12:42 AM
i was hoping for a lineup thread

what do yall think the starting lineups will look like this season?

Beginning of the season:

Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
McDyess

Ian cracks the starting lineup after the all star break at center (or at least gets the bulk of the minutes)

Spurs da champs
07-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Can Haislip play the 3?

barbacoataco
07-15-2009, 01:54 AM
What is important to me is - who have we added after last year' 1st round loss?
Ginobili- returning to health and AS level play
Jefferson-AS quality player, offense and defense
McDyess- quality big with playoff eperience, high IQ, defense
Blair- rookie reboundingv machine, energy off the bench
Mahinmi- the dark horse and X - factor
Hill- added playing time and integration into the team, hopefully more minutes
Haislip- another possible steal and solid addition to the frontcourt
Hairston- possible updrade over Finley

Thomas
07-15-2009, 03:03 AM
Bonner is a joke

bigfan
07-15-2009, 08:01 AM
McClinton and Williams - adios....

timtonymanu
07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Starting Lineup on opening night:
Parker
Mason
Jefferson
McDyess
Duncan

Bench:
Hill
Manu/Hairston
Finley/Williams
Blair/Haislip
Mahinmi/Bonner

not sure about McClinton or Gist.

zepn
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Pop will start game one (assuming no further trades):

Parker / Hill / Williams
Mason / Ginobili
Duncan / Blair / Haislip
McDyess / Bonner / Mahinmi

Pop will make the new guys earn their spots ahead of Finley and Bonner during the season.

This lineup is almost identical to montgod's, with a tweak to Williams, whom I believe will only make the team if Pop thinks he can handle the third string point guard duties (and they can't find a better minimum salary veteran option for that spot).

I had higher hopes for Gist, and to a lesser degree McClinton, but neither has done well in the summer league thus far. There are more summer games to be played though, and they should both get camp invites. So they still have opportunities.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
PG- John Stockton
SG- Jordan
SF - Young Penny hardaway
PF - Duncan
Center - Duncan Clone

thats the spurs roster..... on my ps3

Funny, that guy in the white shirt is a dead ringer for Robert Horry.

tmtcsc
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
McClinton, Gist and Williams won't make the team. I think we will sign a 3 pg. You can only suit up 12 players right ?

PG: Parker, Hill
SG: Manu, Mason, Hairston
PF: Duncan, Blair
C: McDyess, Bonner, Mahinmi
SF: Jefferson, Finley

Reserves: Yet to be acquired Pg, Hairston, Haislip

Trade Assets: Bonner, Finley and Mason

If Mason can get back his form and be effective in the playoffs then we'll be in good shape. Bonner shot well during the reg. season too but his weaknesses were glaring during the playoffs.

Dex
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Gottamn, this offseason needs to be over.

tmtcsc
Why does everyone think that Manu will not start ? He was put back in the starting line up (once and for all -- according to Pop) before he was reinjured. I fully expect him to start. The other bench guys will have to suck it up and perform or not play.

Dex
Maybe after this is done we can debate the many ways to make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

......mmm, peanut butter and jelly sammich.....

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Why does everyone think that Manu will not start ? He was put back in the starting line up (once and for all -- according to Pop) before he was reinjured. I fully expect him to start. The other bench guys will have to suck it up and perform or not play.

I think Spurs nation has just grown accustomed to Manu off the bench so that's what they expect. I don't know whether Manu will start or not. There's decent arguements to be made both ways. If you start Manu he doesn't have to work as hard out there. If you bring Manu off the bench you give him the chance to be more productive in the minutes he gets.

hater
07-15-2009, 12:49 PM
TP, Hill, Mason/Manu
Manu, Mason, Hairston
RJ, Finley, Haislip/Gist
Dice, Blair, Haislip/Gist
Duncan, Ian, Bonner

Da Spurs
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
mcclinton, gist and williams won't make the team. I think we will sign a 3 pg. You can only suit up 12 players right ?

Pg: Parker, hill
sg: Manu, mason, hairston
pf: Duncan, blair
c: Mcdyess, bonner, mahinmi
sf: Jefferson, finley

reserves: Yet to be acquired pg, hairston, haislip

trade assets: Bonner, finley and mason

if mason can get back his form and be effective in the playoffs then we'll be in good shape. Bonner shot well during the reg. Season too but his weaknesses were glaring during the playoffs.

You are right on the money. This is exactly what they'll have.

zepn
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Why does everyone think that Manu will not start ?

I love watching Manu play, but I think he will, and should, come off the bench for at least four reasons:

First, and most importantly, it will cut total game minutes from his playing time throughout the season, which will help save his body for the playoffs.

Secondly, it will make it easier for more of the minutes he does play to be reallocated to the ends of games when he is needed most.

Thirdly, he won't have to compete with the Spurs other top scorers for touches. This is even more of a concern with the additions of Jefferson and McDyess. There is only one ball.

Fourthly, he will add scoring and defense to the second string, which needs both.

AFBlue
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so excuse me if this is repetitive.

Seems like the Spurs roster is set. Tell me where this is wrong...

Guaranteed

Duncan
Parker
Jefferson
McDyess
Ginobili
Finley
Mason
Hill
Bonner
Mahinmi

Non-Guaranteed

Blair
McClinton
Haislip
Hairson
Williams

I don't think McClinton or Gist are earning a spot right now and I don't think the Spurs will feel any pressure to fill the 15th spot, especially being over the lux tax. Add in the flexibility that an open roster spot provides if there is an injury, and I think that's all that's needed.

Unless McClinton or Gist blow the Spurs away over the next few games and redeem themselves, my gut says the Spurs go with 14 roster spots to start the season...the 11 with guaranteed contracts along with Balir, Hairston and Williams.

FWIW, I think it's entirely possible that either or both McClinton and Gist wind up on the Toros and are given serious looks throughout the regular season to fill that 15th spot.

zepn
07-15-2009, 01:46 PM
If you start Manu he doesn't have to work as hard out there.

(I know this wasn't your position, that you were just relating what some people think)

I don't think it's within Manu's ability to go at less than 100%, and if he did he wouldn't be Manu. He's a sprinter - short bursts at full speed. Gotta let him be who he is.

Vic Petro
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Was anyone else surprised by how highly RC spoke about Williams last night? He made it sound like he is definitely in the team's future plans.

zepn
07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Was anyone else surprised by how highly RC spoke about Williams last night? He made it sound like he is definitely in the team's future plans.

That's part of why I think Williams might make the team this season, but only if he shows an ability to play the point, because that is the only place that's really open for him now. I've heard the Spurs call him a 6'7 point guard before, so they believe it is at least possible. But I think long-term they like his shooting more than his PG ability, and would like to keep other teams from grabbing him while he develops an NBA game.

I also think that if the Spurs just wanted a safe-bet veteran point guard, Pop would have already brought back Vaughn because he knows the system. So they are determined to take a chance on a young kid, or a better vet that doesn't know the system.

AFBlue
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Jumped right out at me...probably the most telling thing of that entire interview.

I think the player he is now is the one the Spurs thought they drafted a couple years back...a point forward with a good feel for the game and decent all-around skills.

I'd be surprised if they didn't fully guarantee his contract and secure a roster spot for him, as he provides another ball handler and depth at SF.

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM

I'm not saying the Spurs aren't high on Williams, but it's not like RC is going to come out and publicly say "we don't like him all that much". So there's no telling whether RC really feels that strongly or not. All we know is that the Spurs saw enough in him to give him the contract he's got, but it's unguaranteed. I think there's a training camp battle brewing between Williams and Hairston.

zepn
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe after this is done we can debate the many ways to make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich

Or why you would make multiple posts on a thread you obviously care nothing about...

Vic Petro
07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not saying the Spurs aren't high on Williams, but it's not like RC is going to come out and publicly say "we don't like him all that much". So there's no telling whether RC really feels that strongly or not. All we know is that the Spurs saw enough in him to give him the contract he's got, but it's unguaranteed. I think there's a training camp battle brewing between Williams and Hairston.

I don't know...RC has done a million press conferences and interviews. It's not like he was put on the spot with the question. It seemed to me like he went out of his way to praise Williams' play towards the end of the DLeague last year and to speculate on his future with the big club.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
because threads like these are fucking stupid and accomplish nothing

heres my lineup!

duncan
mdyess
RJ
manu
tony

oh yeah thats a great team

CGD
07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
With Williams, Hairston, Blair (soon to be), and Haislip under contract, 14 spots look set.

The 15th will come down to McClinton, Gist, an unknown summer leaguer, or a wily vet. Wouldn't be surprised if that slot is a revolving door like it was last year. I know its early but Gist and McClinton really have A LOT to prove this summer before they earn a spot.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if that slot is a revolving door like it was last year
yeah every year the last spot is a revolving door

do you think anyone might have a phantom injury?????

thats CIA POP for you!

AFBlue
07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know...RC has done a million press conferences and interviews. It's not like he was put on the spot with the question. It seemed to me like he went out of his way to praise Williams' play towards the end of the DLeague last year and to speculate on his future with the big club.

Add the tangible evidence...

They cut Hairston, who had a guaranteed contract, just so they could sign Williams to keep him from being picked up by another team...the same guy they drafted 33 overall a couple years ago and who has spent his entire career (except for a short stint w/ the clippers) in and around the Spurs system.

I'm not saying he won't have to play well to get his contract picked up, but apparently they've liked him for a long time and they've noticed the improvement in his game since they drafted him.

I think Williams ends up on the roster.

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

RC is praising everyone these days. Don't get me wrong, I hope everything RC is saying about Williams 100% true. I'm just saying this time of year you have to be skeptical because every coach and GM is going to have praise for the guys on their roster.

zepn
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I think there's a training camp battle brewing between Williams and Hairston.

I think the Spurs will keep Hairston regardless. So, either just Hairston, or Hairston and Williams (of course they will want them to think they are fighting for a position though). That's why Williams needs to show he can play the point, otherwise he would be too far down the line-up to get any playing time and, therefor, wouldn't be signed to the big team this season.

zepn
07-15-2009, 02:50 PM
because threads like these are fucking stupid and accomplish nothing

And other threads accomplish so much...

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
I've never really seen any significant potential in Williams TBH..Hairston is clearly better to me..

AFBlue
07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I've never really seen any significant potential in Williams TBH..Hairston is clearly better to me..

Williams averaged over 20pts, 7rebs, 5asts and 1 1/2 steals per game for the Toros last year. The year before that, similar scoring, rebounding and steals.

He's also still just 22 years old.

I'm not saying he doesn't have room to improve (i.e. outside shooting), but I don't understand why many don't believe he's being taken seriously by the Spurs FO.

The guy has shown improvement since his dreadful summer league play and the Spurs saw enough in him to cut Hairston late in the year. He could amount to nothing more than end-of-the-bench fodder, but the Spurs could do worse than a young guy with experience in the Spurs system who plays a need position (SF) and can handle the ball.

Solid D
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
You have to have injury protection on your team. The Spurs will probably keep 14 players, rotating the 2 Inactive List (IL) slots throughout the year, how ever needed.

It's the summer so it's difficult to do this because there could be a trade or a FA signing forthcoming. If McClinton continues to struggle, then this would be the roster Oct. 31.

Version 1.0 7/15/2009

Duncan......Bonner......Mahinimi
McDyess.....Blair..........Haislip
Jefferson....Finley.......Williams
Ginobili.......Mason......Hairston
Parker........Hill

AFBlue
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
You have to have injury protection on your team. The Spurs will probably keep 14 players, rotating the 2 Inactive List (IL) slots throughout the year, how ever needed.

It's the summer so it's difficult to do this because there could be a trade or a FA signing forthcoming. If McClinton continues to struggle, then this would be the roster Oct. 31.

Version 1.0 7/15/2009

Duncan......Bonner......Mahinimi
McDyess.....Blair..........Haislip
Jefferson....Finley.......Williams
Ginobili.......Mason......Hairston
Parker........Hill

Agreed. :tu

ceperez
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
My prediction:

Parker / Hill
Mason / Ginobili / Williams
Jefferson / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Bonner
McDyess / Mahinmi

IR

Hairston - He can score, but can he handle the ball?
Blair - It's getting crowded in the front court. My guess its either Williams or Bonner who gets waived to make room for Blair (if he's more than hype)
- ? -

My hunch is that Bowen is coming back to the club.

JiggaWhat99
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
From yesterday's SL game, Hairston is a good fit, Is Haislip on the SL team?

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
but I don't understand why many don't believe he's being taken seriously by the Spurs FO.

I'd say it's just out of sight, out of mind. Williams would be getting more run if he were on the SL team.

mudyez
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
My prediction:

Parker / Hill
Mason / Ginobili / Williams
Jefferson / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Bonner
McDyess / Mahinmi

IR

Hairston - He can score, but can he handle the ball?
Blair - It's getting crowded in the front court. My guess its either Williams or Bonner who gets waived to make room for Blair (if he's more than hype)
- ? -

My hunch is that Bowen is coming back to the club.

I dont see Williams making the team over Hairston and Blair...I guess, they rather play Haislip at SF, than leaving Blair out
So I think its more like:

Parker / Hill
Mason / Ginobili
Jefferson / Finley / Haislip
McDyess / Bonner / Blair
Duncan / Mahinmi

other 3 roster spots: Hairston + ? + ?

if Bruce comes back (wich would be great, I see him taking Haislips spot)

zepn
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Williams only hope for this season is as the 3rd PG. The Spurs would love to have a 6'7 "point forward" if he's capable. If he's not capable, Pop will still want to sign a 3rd PG and won't need/want to sign Williams as the 9th G/SF in the line-up. He will return to the Toros where he will actually get some run, and might get another 10 day call-up at some point in the season.