PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Fans Showing Admiration for Spurs

Thompson
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I thought this was interesting; Rockets fans were giving the Spurs props, some saying the Spurs were their second favorite team, others saying at least they don't whine like the Mavs. :lol

They do seem to have bought into the whole "Bowen is dirty" thing, which I don't believe of course, but aside from that they seem pretty impressed with the Spurs.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=171847&page=1&pp=20

"The "hate" is envy in disguise. Usually when people hate on someone there's got to be a real reason (acting like an arrogant sob, raping someone etc), but when the reasons are flopping or something silly like that then that's usually hate. Spurs have been so successful that fans of other teams hate on them to mask their jealousy." -roslolian

all_heart
07-14-2009, 06:34 PM
because most SA natives have relatives in Houston!! :)

Spursmania
07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Houston has always been cool. I really feel sorry for them and their injuries. But hell, we gave them Scola.

celldweller
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Rockets fans are so different from Mavericks fans. Mavericks fans come across as arrogant, naive, and jealous. Houston fans do have there moments but generally have respect for other talkers and teams.

FkLA
07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Eh its just a matter of time before we grow hatred towards each other, I actually used to be cool with the Mavs when they used to suck and were barely making a move up...once they became respectable, and after a couple of playoff serieses (Juwan Howard fucking up Derek Anderson's shoulder) I started hating them. Right now I actually wish the Rockets well but Im sure if we were to meet with them in the playoffs a couple of times I'd start disliking them.

Also Im sure that during the early-mid 90s there were was hatred between the two teams, especially when Hakeem and D-Rob were battling for MVP...the Admiral got owned pretty bad by the Dream in the 95' playoffs.

celldweller
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Eh its just a matter of time before we grow hatred towards each other, I actually used to be cool with the Mavs when they used to suck and were barely making a move up...once they became respectable, and after a couple of playoff serieses (Juwan Howard fucking up Derek Anderson's shoulder) I started hating them. Right now I actually wish the Rockets well but Im sure if we were to meet with them in the playoffs a couple of times I'd start disliking them.

Also Im sure that during the early-mid 90s there were was hatred between the two teams, especially when Hakeem and D-Rob were battling for MVP...the Admiral got owned pretty bad by the Dream in the 95' playoffs.

Don't forget about Jason "Ball Puncher" Terry. :ihit

Dex
07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I think San Antonio is certainly despised, to a point, due to its success. Being small market and labeled boring doesn't help, but for the most part, I think other fans are just sick of seeing us around.

It's the same reason people are quick to hate on the Celtics and Lakers, and people hated the Bulls when they were making their run. Unless you were a fan of one of these teams, they were just that damn team kicking your club out of the playoffs year after year.

I am amused by the bandwagon fan hate. It means that we're in the upper echelon of teams. The Spurs are one of those teams fans love to hate...but anybody who knows basketball appreciates their accomplishments, just like the other dynasties.

thOOdee
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
i have noticed there is mutual respect from both sides....for the playoffs i was going for houston after the spurs got knocked out. Im all about TEXAS, but i wonder how the mavs just wondered off the path. I guess the mavs are like that annoying relative who always snitches and annoys the fuck out of you.

dougp
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Obviously none of you guys live in Houston. Houston fans are pathetic, and are so fuckin fair weather - no one gives a shit about the Astros unless they're over .500, same goes for the Rockets. Once they got out of the 1st round - it was like they won the fuckin Finals!

I'm married to a Mavs fan and she's far more sincere, and nice about crap. She also, at the least, knows something about her team. Most of the people here don't know how Scola was aquired, or where he's even from. Funny enough, most people don't realize that Yao is not Yao Ming's first name ...

FkLA
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
^If I was you I wouldve gotten a divorce already.

FilSpursFan
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
My sister lives in Houston, but she is a Spurs Fan..

GodFamilySPURS
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm from SA, but live in Houston and I totally agree with DougP. Rockets fans are fairweather fans. Only 1 out of 15 Rockets fans are true fans. The only thing they can say is, did the Spurs win back to back? I would rather win 4 Recent championships than 2 back to back.

When they made it to the 2nd round, they're goal was accomplished...Spurs Fans are not satisifed unless we win the NBA Championship! Spurs Fans have true Heart!

I do feel sorry that they have so many injuries. And Spurs and Rockets fans have one thing in common. We hate both Dallas Mavericks and the Lakers!

Mr. Body
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Rockets fans are so different from Mavericks fans. Mavericks fans come across as arrogant, naive, and jealous. Houston fans do have there moments but generally have respect for other talkers and teams.

Well, if you've never spent much time in Texas, that's pretty true of the cities, too. Dallas is filled with self-entitled, flashy assholes. Houston minds its own business far more and is more respectful and less pretentious.

jag
07-14-2009, 07:26 PM
The (new) majority of Rockets fans think Yao is the alpha and omega, can't pronounce the sound that the letter "L" makes, and don't know who "The Dream" is.

xellos88330
07-14-2009, 07:35 PM
:lol That was some funny shit Jag. First thing that came into my head was "Deck the Halls" being sung by chinese in the christmas classic "A Christmas Story"

07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
because most SA natives have relatives in Houston!! :)

Yep that is the true.Houston fans have relatives in both city..:toast
I love houston and san antonio,texas.I love the rockets and the spurs..:toast
Hi to my relatives in alamo city.
:flag::flag::flag:2010 will be san antonio years:flag::flag:

VivaPopovich
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
gotta show love for our texas brothers

i actually still remember that one rockets-spurs series (in 94 i think) where fans of both team traveled to the other city to watch the games. so in any given game the crowd was divided cheering/booing for both teams regardless of what city they played in

i remember marv albert saying, "there are those rockets fans traveling to san antonio to cheer their team on"

in my personal history of watching NBA basketball (since 93) never seen anything like it.

phyzik
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
ehhh, I'll tak their respect now without much hate, they are in a terrible spot right now and I feel for them. Th fact remains though that once they become a contender again against the Spurs you know we (Spurs and rocket fans) will go back to the haters game.

Unholy Turkey
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
The (new) majority of Rockets fans think Yao is the alpha and omega, can't pronounce the sound that the letter "L" makes, and don't know who "The Dream" is.

:lmao That's soooo true. Most of my friends who I talk to don't even know who Hakeem is.

Some true Rockets Fans up in Houston.

But when you do find those Rocket fans who actually know that we won two championships, you find that the ones that actually know stuff are pretty cool.

Unholy Turkey
07-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Double post, but as for the Spurs, I love them! They are just like us. We don't become cocky and we overachieve. Not like the Lakers this year who had a lot of talent but just went through the playoffs like it was nothing.

Ditty
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
rocket fans are cool

went to both spurs games in houston this year

rocket fans never said anything to me when my friends and i would taunt everytime the spurs would score or do a great play

the first game we had some hecklers because we got our ass kicked

the second game was great with spurs pride all over the arena

just one rocket fan told me too sit down and thos red rowdie dudes were telling me and my friends stuff when we would distract the rockets when they were at the free throw line ha

Ditty
07-15-2009, 01:07 AM
BWnOhTvIUw

dSbHoDUfQss

i don't know about them being nice to spurs fans now :)

Rogue
07-15-2009, 04:22 AM
it's not a big surprise there are some rockets fans perching at the elite level, in fact such kind of fans occupied the majority of Rockets fan-base before the Rockets team regretfully drafted a 7'6 piece of **** in 02, since when their fans base has been being contaminated by millions of idiotic band-wagon fans till the very current days. If only the growth of such fans in Rockets fan-base will slow down as long as their 7'6 piece of **** is already done for his career.

guzmangm
07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
It's easier to be sold on the spurs if you are in SA. That's the only game in town (it helps that they win too). In Houston, you can turn you're attention, money to other teams like the Astros, Texans, UH, Rice...

ATRAIN
07-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Obviously none of you guys live in Houston. Houston fans are pathetic, and are so fuckin fair weather - no one gives a shit about the Astros unless they're over .500, same goes for the Rockets. Once they got out of the 1st round - it was like they won the fuckin Finals!

I'm married to a Mavs fan and she's far more sincere, and nice about crap. She also, at the least, knows something about her team. Most of the people here don't know how Scola was aquired, or where he's even from. Funny enough, most people don't realize that Yao is not Yao Ming's first name ...

I dated a girl who

1. Hated Baseball
2. Was a Mavs Fan
3. Went to USC

Talk about 3 strikes, but she gave GREAT head hahaha so I kept her around a bit.

ATRAIN
07-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Im an Astros and Texans fan and have a lot of family and friends in Houston. They always pull for the spurs after the rockets. Of course there are those who hate us but we all hate the Mavs just the same. Im sure its part of the overall Dallas hate. Most of us Texans hate Cowboys fans for their cockiness(I know most of you are cowboys fans so sorry hahaha)and I think that carries over to the NBA. For some reason too the Rangers fans hate us astros and im not sure why?? I dont hate the Rangers and I root for them in the AL, but I have to admit its kind of funny seeing them fail year in and year out.

dougp
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I dated a girl who

1. Hated Baseball
2. Was a Mavs Fan
3. Went to USC

Talk about 3 strikes, but she gave GREAT head hahaha so I kept her around a bit.

My wife is more or less a Dirk fan, which I can support considering he's one of my favorite non-Spurs players. She's already said that when he retires, she'll cheer for the Spurs.

ATRAIN
07-15-2009, 09:41 AM
My wife is more or less a Dirk fan, which I can support considering he's one of my favorite non-Spurs players. She's already said that when he retires, she'll cheer for the Spurs.

I have a "friend" hahah who lives in SA and she is in love with Dirk and hates the spurs.

dougp
07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a "friend" hahah who lives in SA and she is in love with Dirk and hates the spurs.

Hah.

It's weird - it's like everyone I know HATES Duncan, and that's the reason why they hate the Spurs. I'm always like, WTF why do you hate him? They just say he's boring. Fuckin haters.

ATRAIN
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Hah.

It's weird - it's like everyone I know HATES Duncan, and that's the reason why they hate the Spurs. I'm always like, WTF why do you hate him? They just say he's boring. Fuckin haters.

I dont get it either, we are witnessing which is quite possible the best PF to play the game. Top 5 for sure!!

easjer
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I think Doug is right about Houston being a huge bandwagon town (outside the Texans, for whom exists a perplexing level of interest and love, that I guess owes to being a football team).

I don't mind the Rockets, and the legit Rockets fans are often complimentary of the Spurs, at least in my 12 years of experience in Houston. They may talk some trash as division rivals with a history will, but I know some great Rockets fans.

My temporary boss is a huge basketball fan. He supports the Rockets, but the Spurs are one of his favorite teams, primarily because of Duncan and the system. He bought his mini-season pack the day before the news on Yao came out and said that if it includes a Spurs game, he'll give us the tickets since we've never seen them play in person. He is so much fun to talk to about basketball; I'll be sad when he leaves.

dougp
07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I think Doug is right about Houston being a huge bandwagon town (outside the Texans, for whom exists a perplexing level of interest and love, that I guess owes to being a football team).

I don't mind the Rockets, and the legit Rockets fans are often complimentary of the Spurs, at least in my 12 years of experience in Houston. They may talk some trash as division rivals with a history will, but I know some great Rockets fans.

My temporary boss is a huge basketball fan. He supports the Rockets, but the Spurs are one of his favorite teams, primarily because of Duncan and the system. He bought his mini-season pack the day before the news on Yao came out and said that if it includes a Spurs game, he'll give us the tickets since we've never seen them play in person. He is so much fun to talk to about basketball; I'll be sad when he leaves.

Because the Texans are new.

It's funny, because the hands down best team in this town is the Dynamo, yet they had to fight and claw to get a new stadium - which they freaking deserved! Those are some fun games to go to.

ATRAIN
07-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Because the Texans are new.

It's funny, because the hands down best team in this town is the Dynamo, yet they had to fight and claw to get a new stadium - which they freaking deserved! Those are some fun games to go to.

Are you in Houston? I have been wanting to go see the Dynamo cause i hear they are fun.

GodFamilySPURS
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Go spurs go!
Go texans!
Go stros!

dougp
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Are you in Houston? I have been wanting to go see the Dynamo cause i hear they are fun.

Yup, I'm in Houston.