PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Bid Adios To Oberto

duncan228
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Bid adios to Oberto (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/bid-adios-to-ob.html)
By Jeff McDonald

When Fabricio Oberto was included in the deal that brought Richard Jefferson to San Antonio on June 23, there seemed a possibility the affable Argentine might return to the Spurs at a cut rate after being waived by his new team, the Detroit Pistons.

After all, the Jefferson deal had left the Spurs woefully thin in the frontcourt.

Three weeks later, it appears Oberto will be spending next season at the end of some other team's bench. He is not coming back to the Spurs.

The Washington Wizards are one of about half a dozen teams that have reached out to Oberto, who won championship rings with the Spurs in 2005 and 2007. Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, told the Washington Post that his client plans to play in the NBA next season and will take time to mull his options.

At first, it seemed logical that Oberto's next NBA team would actually be his old NBA team. After the Jefferson trade, the Spurs were searching for cheap frontcourt options to help round out the roster. Who better than a team-first, no-complaints guy like Oberto, who also happened to be quite familiar with the Spurs' system?

Now, Oberto finds his return path to San Antonio blocked by 6-foot-7, 265 pounds of DeJuan Blair. When Blair, an All-American rebounder from Pittsburgh, fell to the Spurs in the second round of the NBA draft, it drastically reduced their need for a player like Oberto.

In the days since the draft, the Spurs added a sixth big man to their stable, signing overseas sensation Marcus Haislip to a two-year deal. If the Spurs are to add a seventh big, it would probably be James Gist, the 6-foot-8 forward who is playing with the summer league team.

Oberto will almost certainly latch on with some team this summer. The next time he sees the AT&T Center, however, it will be from the visitor's locker room.

rayray2k8
07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
So oberto took the offer from the wizards?

Cant_Be_Faded
Good luck to the guy. I always liked his huthle. He gave us some good games in 06 and 07

Spursmania
Thanks for everything Oberto.

You had a high BB IQ and did the best you could with your god given talents. Here's to you and the classy way you conducted yourself here in SA. Good Luck.:toast:flag:

GSH
07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
The way these reports have been going, that probably means he's as good as signed by the Spurs.

mookie2001
keep tha change ya filthy animal

Dex
Oberto will be missed. He was a professional during his time here, and was a key contributor to our 2007 run. And damn, that guy was sneaky getting to the basket.

Wishing a farewell to Oberto, and looking forward to the youth movement. :toast

ElNono
Bid adeu to Oberto :toast

Dex
07-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I think it's pretty fair to say the Spurs are confident they will work out Blair's contract.

completely deck
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Fabio was not on the 05 team, but I wish him the best of luck.

:lol way to go, McDonald. Couldn't resist fucking at least one thing up.

mando6599
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Fabio was not on the 05 team, but I wish him the best of luck.

Exactly my thoughts, good reporting there Mickey D.

mando

angelbelow
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for everything Obie. Good Luck with the rest of your career!

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Enjoyed his play in the '07 Finals.

DAF86
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
So oberto took the offer from the wizards?

I think he will end up in europe.

Das Texan
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Oberto was a big reason we won in 07 so I thank him for that tremendously.

McDonald once again fucks up, who's shocked?

Spursfan092120
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
On WOAI tonight, I heard Oberto say he was going to stay in the NBA..it's going to depend on where he goes...he wants to play in San Antonio, he said...but it depends on if SA wants him.

phyzik
07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I appreciate what Oberto did but I never really liked his "volley ball" rebounding. I'm indifferent as to if he comes back or not. I just dont feel he brought alot to the Spurs game. He was servicable but never really trully was a big man.

urunobili
07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
:lol McDonald 2005 :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
CIA in full effect?

SenorSpur
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
I appreciate what Oberto did but I never really liked his "volley ball" rebounding. I'm indifferent as to if he comes back or not. I just dont feel he brought alot to the Spurs game. He was servicable but never really trully was a big man.

+1.

I appreciate his effort, smarts, teammwork and professionalism. He simply wasn't skilled enough. Though his shining moments came during the NBA Finals versus CLE.

Wish him well.

eyeh8u
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
CIA in full effect?

sorry to be a bit off topic but what does cia mean in these forums ive seen it a few times

timvp
07-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Oberto earned every penny he made with his play in the 2007 playoffs.

Props and good luck.

clubalien
07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
McDonald once again fucks up, who's shocked?

SInce he reads these boards I am starting to think this is an inside joke. That he purposely does this just to see fans reactions. There can be no other logically reason that every article has a mistake on factually information correct?

Dex
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
SInce he reads these boards I am starting to think this is an inside joke. That he purposely does this just to see fans reactions. There can be no other logically reason that every article has a mistake on factually information correct?

I think he's really just that bad at his job.

He's gotten better, but if I screwed up at work as often as he does, I'd expect to get canned.

tp2021
07-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you for everything, Fab. You had some great moments and contributions. Not missing against Phoenix, the 07 Finals, 07 series against the Jazz, and your reverse dunk on Dirk after you spun baseline.

Mark in Austin
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM

He's gotten better, but if I screwed up at work as often as he does, I'd expect to get canned.

you assume the E-N still has editors and fact checkers that would be aware of his mistakes, but I suspect those positions wre eliminated years ago...

BTW, thanks for the avatar... been using it for years since when you first made a bunch of them available to everybody.

I guess you like it too. :toast

Dex
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
you assume the E-N still has editors and fact checkers that would be aware of his mistakes, but I suspect those positions wre eliminated years ago...

BTW, thanks for the avatar... been using it for years since when you first made a bunch of them available to everybody.

I guess you like it too. :toast

Yeah, after Barry left, I finally had to make the switch, and this was always my favorite of the ones I made.

One of these days I'll make a new one. I'm just lazy. :hat

Until then, we will have to continue to confuse the Spurstalk masses.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2009, 11:17 AM

He actually owns a KFC in Indiana and writes his articles in between frying batches of chicken. He's never actually been to San Antonio or seen the Spurs play.

tp2021
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
If anyone can find the video of Oberto's dunk, that would be awesome. Last I checked, it was only on NBA.com.