PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism or even hypo

sook
07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone here have any type of thyroid problems, especially hyper? I never thought my insanely fast metabolism was an issue untill some other recent problems which a doctor told me was probably hyper thyroidism.

I have yet to have my blood test done but was sensitivity to light and face / eyes feeling swollen at times anybody else's symptoms?

ShoogarBear
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Just having a fast metabolism doesn't necessarily mean you have hyperthyroidism. The symptoms are variable and include weight loss, intolerance of warm weather, palpitations, diarrhea or frequent urination, hair thinning. Sometimes people who are thought to be having panic attacks turn out to be hyperthyroid.

It's a very easy blood test to check.

ashbeeigh
07-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Go to an endocrinologist. Endocrine issues are easy to pinpoint and to treat in most cases.

Wild Cobra
07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Well, I have a daughter that is hypothyroid. She has regular blood tests annually, or sooner if they change the dosage of replacement thyroid. It's common, and not too expensive to pay for out of pocket. Even the medicine is cheap. I don't know about the hyper form, but I assume it's as easy and cheap to take care of.

Lord knows, I've paid out of pocket enough times.

mavs>spurs2
07-14-2009, 11:19 PM
i have hypo

Kori Ellis
07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I have hypothyroidism. Most people can treat it and get balanced with Synthroid. It hasn't been easy for me to treat at all though.

Hyperthyroidism is obviously different though... not as easily treatable with medication, from what I understand.

But as Shoog said, fast metabolism could be a lot of things not just hyperthyroid.

sook
07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Just having a fast metabolism doesn't necessarily mean you have hyperthyroidism. The symptoms are variable and include weight loss, intolerance of warm weather, palpitations, diarrhea or frequent urination, hair thinning. Sometimes people who are thought to be having panic attacks turn out to be hyperthyroid.

It's a very easy blood test to check.

i used to get panic attacks but i masked it REALLY well, always thought it was just me. And yea, i can't stand the heat at all, 2 wks ago there were about 3 nights in a row where i was getting something like heat flashes and TERRIBLE night sweats, i mean i woke up one night and literally thought i wet the bed b.c the whole bed was soaked in so much sweat it was like a puddle. And when I went to the bathroom my eyes were like bulging out kind of and I was in this bad brain fog.

This might sound wierd, but I take a high dose of like antioxidants like zinc and they alleviate 70% of my symptoms. I think that has something to do with thyroid problems as well.

I will be going to an endocrinologist though ashbeighh thnx

sook
07-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I have hypothyroidism. Most people can treat it and get balanced with Synthroid. It hasn't been easy for me to treat at all though.

Hyperthyroidism is obviously different though... not as easily treatable with medication, from what I understand.

But as Shoog said, fast metabolism could be a lot of things not just hyperthyroid.

yea its wierd b.c if i take the right amount of antioxidants i can get over the coutner i feel a lot better.

I was just wondering if there were other spurstalk posters that could relate to this and give me some insight before i goto the doc