PDA

View Full Version : mazerrackham's Summer League Game 2 Thoughts

mazerrackham
07-15-2009, 03:37 AM
I didn't see any timvp game thoughts or anything so I thought I'd put a few of my own thoughts out there. I apologize for the un-aligned box scores but no matter what I did I couldn't get them to line up....frustration...

Malik Hairston
FG 3pt FT REB AST PF ST TO BS PTS Playing Time
7-11 1-2 2-2 2 1 4 0 2 1 17 30:48
To me, Malik Hairston once again proved that he can be an effective shooter. Both games I've seen him shoot open shots with confidence, and he's shot at a high percentage in this summer league. This helps his case for earning playing time next season. If he can continue to put forth the hustle to be a good wing defender like he did last year when I saw him guard Lebron James, then I'm all for lobbying for him to crack the rotation in a bowen-like "cooler" role. I've been impressed overall with Hairston's showing in these two games that he has the ability to score from the perimeter. I'm not sure if this was just my incorrect assumption, but I think last year I rarely saw him shooting from the outside, so this is a good sign.

James Gist
2-4 0-0 1-2 4 0 3 0 3 0 5 18:37
For the second straight game, I wish I saw more of Gist being aggressive and showcasing his skills. He only put him 4 shot attempts and for the second straight game he got a dunk/layup attempt emphatically swatted away. He seems to not know how to get his shot up around big defenders. I'm somewhat confused that I haven't seen James play any small forward in these summer league games that I can remember, as in interviews and posts on this forum it seemed to me that Gist's best chance for breaking the Spurs rotation was as a backup 3. As a side-note, this is only going off of a few sample memories, but I remember Gist on a few possessions showing solid trapping and pick and roll defense out on the perimeter. I distinctly remember a few possessions where I liked his defense on the perimeter, but then when he got down and had to guard someone in the post, he was abused.

Ian Mahinmi
4-9 0-0 4-6 16 0 10 0 3 2 12 28:10
This game was a much better showing from the big man Ian Mahinmi. He was active the whole game on both the offensive and defensive end, and it showed in the boxscore in the form of 16 rebounds and 2 blocked shots. One of the things I most wanted to see from Mahinmi was his ability to defend the lane, and I thought he showed active help defense and had two emphatic blocked shots, both of which impressed me. Some might be concerned by the 10 fouls that Mahinmi was tacked with, but as has been stated already, the reffing was horrible, and many of those fouls were ticky tack fouls. I didn't see much of Mahinmi posting up on offense this game, the Spurs didn't seem to find him in the post much. However, I did notice he worked to get deep position twice and was rewarded both times with a basket, or at least a foul and going to the free throw line. This is a good sign with the questions that have been brought up about his lower body strength. Overall, I was impressed with Ian's energy and intensity, and am not terribly worried about his fouls. If there's one thing that I think Ian needs to improve on, it's being stronger after the whistle blows. I thought he had at least one or two chances to earn an and-1 but he didn't muscle his way through it.

Jack McClinton
0-2 0-1 0-0 1 4 2 0 1 0 0 10:57
I'm not going to spend too much time here, because Jack didn't play a whole ton of time and was essentially a ghost for the second straight game. I thought his two shot attempts were the right decisions for what its worth, but once again he failed to put the ball in the bucket. Overall, I was at least happy that he found some of his teammates in position to score. I thought he had a few nice assists, especially the quick outlet to James gist for the and-1 on the fast break. This is somewhat encouraging. If he can bring the shot-making and defensive ability that he was reported to have, and he shows good vision to be able to make the pass like he did in limited minutes today, he could turn into a good prospect. Not much to see yet, though, as he was once again relegated to the bench in crunch time.

George Hill
5-12 0-2 6-7 2 2 5 2 2 0 16 34:03
Overall, George Hill did an effective job of leading the Spurs summer league squad. More than the first game, George Hill shot midrange jumpers this game and knocked them down. He didn't score all that much, but he was the man with the ball in his hands in crunch time, and I thought he made good decisions for the most part. I wish he would show more ability to find his teammates in positions to score, as I've not been overly impressed with his passing ability, but I think his dribbling and scoring ability is improving along with his decisions off of pick and rolls, so he is still progressing. The one thing that worries me from this game, is the full court press situation. The Spurs at one point turned it over three straight possessions to the Denver full court press. That is absolutely unacceptable. It's true that GHill's teammates did not help him beat the press much, as beating the press is a team effort, but what concerns me, is that when Denver showed the press, and put two defenders near GHill so that the ball wouldn't be inbounded to him, GHill seemed to just sit there and accept letting the ball be inbounded to one of the worse dribblers. He needs to show assertiveness and urgency in the press, and continue scrambling to get open and help his teammates instead of just sitting there passively with the attitude of I'm double covered, somebody else get open. Also he made 1 or 2 long long passes trying to beat the press that were really just lobs. Press-beating passes need to be crisp and shorter distance than what he was throwing up. I'm dogging on his passiveness against the press, but I thought he did fine when he was dribbling through defensive pressure, he just didn't make the right passes to beat the press, and was content to sit there and let his teammates try to beat the press at times. Also, as a side note, I saw Hill get a block even though it didn't show in the box score.

Romel Beck
6-11 1-3 1-2 2 0 2 0 2 1 14 26:19
I'll conclude with Romel Beck as he's the only other guy worth mentioning. I'm not going to spend a lot of time analyzing him, because I think there's not much to see. He's proven to be a good-looking scorer, but I don't think he can bring much else to the table. He shoots jumpshots with confidence, and takes advantages of openings that let him attack the rim as well. However, as others have noted, he cannot dribble unless he has a straight line to the basket, and I don't think his defense will ever be effective enough at the NBA level. I'll pretty much end here, because however good he's looked, there's not going to be a spot for Beck on the Spurs roster, though I suppose he might get an invite to camp.

To finish, I think Hill still needs to work on his assertiveness against the press, I think he has the ability and has shown the ability to keep his dribble against pressure defense, but as the ball-handler, he can't sit back and let his teammates try to beat the press, he needs to take control and make the decisions. Ian Mahinmi seems to be working off the rust and had a very active game with little negatives except for the many fouls (most of which were undeserved). Denver liked to run up and down, and Mahinmi did a good job of staying with the frantic pace the whole time. I hope the Spurs run a few plays to just let Ian work in the post next game, just so we can continue to see that part of his game, and I hope he gets stronger in finishing moves. Comment and tell me where I'm wrong as I'm sure I've probably made some evaluations that could be improved on, but as I love reading other people's game thoughts I thought I'd put this out there for the Spurstalk enjoyment.
:flag: :downspin: :lobt2:

timvp
07-15-2009, 05:06 AM
I didn't see your thread before I posted mine but great work, mazerrackham. Very good points regarding Hill. It was annoying when he wouldn't come to the ball and instead disappeared up the court. We'll see going forward whether it was the Nuggets' press that had him making odd decision or whether this is something to worry about.

Nice job :tu

DBMethos
07-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Nice thoughts...thanks for taking the time to write them up. :tu

Biggems
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Beck would be great in a Steve Kerr/Vinnie Johnson type role....someone to bring off the bench to provide instant scoring punch in spot minutes of games....just make sure you have someone who can handle the rock out there, cause he can't.

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Hairston and Beck play the same position, except Hairston can actually do other things. There's no chance of Beck making the Spurs. He's training camp fodder at best.

urunobili
07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
nice recap :tu

MoSpur
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for sharing.

hater
07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Hill, Ian, Hairston, Blair - those are making the Spurs team(what a surprise)

The Gist - dissapointing but hustling, might only get as far as training camp :(

everyone else, Thank you. Goodbye

hater
07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
TP, Hill
Manu, Mason, Hairston
RJ, Finley/Gist?
Dice, Blair, Haislip
Duncan, Ian, Bonner

looks like we need a backup SF. Welcome back Bruce

jb4g
07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Hopefully Ian continues to show improvement, the Spurs have had a lot of patience with him. I really believe he will get a shot at some playing time this year to help ease the load on Timmay. I also think the FO really wants to see what he can do at this point in time before deciding what they are going to do with Splitter next year

oligarchy
07-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Hairston and Beck play the same position, except Hairston can actually do other things. There's no chance of Beck making the Spurs. He's training camp fodder at best.

I agree. Hairston also plays infinitely better defense, and he isn't being CONSTANTLY beat off the dribble by his oppenent. I like Beck's shooting and confidence, but his turnovers due to poor handles, and his poor defense make Hairston a no-brainer.

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Great recap. Good info. Thanks for posting. :tu

I admit I wanted to see more of what Ian's abilities were provided he got touches in the post. I hope he can assert himself there, as he's done in other areas of his game. Wonder if not having the "space-eater" on the floor, actually had a positive effect on Ian's assertive play?

bigdog
07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Good post. Thank for sharing your thoughts.

Brazil
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice recap ! Maybe timvp found some help for the regular season especially on back to back games. ST has found a good GT back up for once. :)

buttsR4rebounding
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I think that McClinton played much better than he is being given credit for. I went back and re-watched the game specifically focusing on him when he was in. He led the team in assists even though he only played 10 minutes. He also had a nice pass to Gist that created a score, but was dribbled too many times to be counted as an assist. He was very active on defense and seemed to be where he should be most of the time. He was seen on the bench w/ a bandage on his hand, so that may have had to do with his lack of playing time.

mazerrackham
07-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I think that McClinton played much better than he is being given credit for. I went back and re-watched the game specifically focusing on him when he was in. He led the team in assists even though he only played 10 minutes. He also had a nice pass to Gist that created a score, but was dribbled too many times to be counted as an assist. He was very active on defense and seemed to be where he should be most of the time. He was seen on the bench w/ a bandage on his hand, so that may have had to do with his lack of playing time.

I agree it wasn't all bad, I did mention the assists, and that outlet pass was better than any I've seen Hill throw yet in summer league. But he still needs to show his shooting ability.

mazerrackham
07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I didn't see your thread before I posted mine but great work, mazerrackham. Very good points regarding Hill. It was annoying when he wouldn't come to the ball and instead disappeared up the court. We'll see going forward whether it was the Nuggets' press that had him making odd decision or whether this is something to worry about.

Nice job :tu

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement, I thought you maybe weren't posting a game thoughts for this one, but I guess you just waited until super late at night :lol

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Great write up mazerrackham!

You and timvp should collaborate, and do mutual game thoughts!

Just think, both of you can bicker endlessly like the TNT crew!

:king