PDA

View Full Version : And you thought cigarette prices were bad here ...

CubanMustGo
07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
http://www.wmur.com/money/20057331/detail.html

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- When Josh Muszynski checked his bank account online, he didn't expect to find a $23 quadrillion debit.

"If it were to be true that someone actually compromised that money and got that money, they could do some severe damage with that amount of money," he said.

-Muszynski expected to see a couple hundred dollars in his account, but a 17-digit number that rivals even the national debt confronted him instead. The mistake alarmed Muszynski, who has downsized to an apartment in efforts to save money to buy a house.

"I thought my card had been compromised. I thought somebody had bought Europe with my credit card," Muszynski said. "It was very concerning."

What Did He Buy?

Muszynski swiped his debit card at a local Mobil gas station to buy a pack of cigarettes for a few bucks, Instead, his Bank of America account indicated he spent $23,148,855,308,184,500 at the gas station -- an amount for which he probably could have used to buy the entire company.

Muszynski may never know what went wrong. He also wondered what he would've done if he actually had money like that to spend.

If he had $23 quadrillion, Muszynski said he would give it all away, and maybe also bail out General Motors a few more times.

No One Could Answer Mysterious Charge

Hours later, after checking his account, Muszynski rushed back to the store but it appeared no one knew what to tell him. He wondered whether to call a debt relief company or how he'd pay it all off. :lol

"The cashier says she couldn't help me at all. She didn't know anything about it," Muszynski said. "It's a lot of money in the negative, something I could never ever afford to pay back -- my children couldn't afford, grandchildren, nothing like that."

Muszynski called the bank about the string of numbers on the screen and a $15 overdraft fee the bank tacked on to his mysterious debt. After two hours on the phone, Muszynski said, the representative on the line had no idea what to say.

"She just tried to assure me that everything would be fixed, and I couldn't see something like that being fixed," Muszynski said.

Nearly 24 hours after the hole formed in his bank account, Muszynski checked his statement again. The bank corrected his statement a day later.

"It was back to normal. They reversed the negative balance fee, which was nice," Muszynski said.

WMUR News 9 contacted Bank of America about the statement mishap, but representatives said the card issuer, Visa, could only answer questions. Visa, in turn, recommended that WMUR News 9 contact the bank.

BacktoBasics
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Call the bank for answers. No call Visa for answers. No call the bank for answers. Fucking ridiculous.

07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
That would annoy the hell out of me.

J.T.
07-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Call the bank for answers. No call Visa for answers. No call the bank for answers. Fucking ridiculous.

I had the same shit happen to me at Wells Fargo regarding a Visa card they issued me. One time I went into a branch to take a money order out of my bank account (not my line of credit) to pay rent. Turns out the clerk fucked up and hit my account for the amount of rent twice, and I didn't have enough to cover rent times two in there so the remainder was pulled from my line of credit. Didn't find out a few months later when I tried to use the CC and it was getting declined everywhere. Turns out the card was canceled for delinquency and both WF and WF-Visa were telling me to call the other one back and forth each person I talked to.

tl/dr; stash your money in the mattress and don't use CCs

Heath Ledger
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I just found out my 2nd cc in two months has been used from fraudulent shit regarding some Dish Network account in another state. My first card was used to try to buy some concert tickets in the UK.

mrsmaalox
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Yep, last month my husband's card had a $1500 charge from a resort in Costa Rica. Of course I was the first one he suspected :lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I could never ever afford to pay back -- my children couldn't affordno fucking shit you poor bastard, did you have to check your wallet first?