PDA

View Full Version : Dave Chappelle shows up, fills Pioneer Courthouse Square

tlongII
07-15-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/dave_chappelle_shows_up_fills.html

http://blog.oregonlive.com/news_impact/2009/07/large_photo.jpg
Thousands packed Pioneer Courthouse Square late Tuesday and early this morning to catch a glimpse of Comedian Dave Chappelle.

Dave Chappelle showed up.
Thousands of people packed Pioneer Courthouse Square late Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, drawn by the ethereal promise of an appearance by the popular comedian. They stayed two hours despite a tiny sound system that made Chappelle nearly inaudible, creating one of the most remarkable spontaneous gatherings in Portland history.

The rumor came through Twitter and text and Facebook, and it seemed too good to be true: the wildly popular comic appearing at midnight in the middle of Portland -- for free?

A mostly 20-something, expectant crowd filled the square until it was crammed full. By midnight thousands stood shoulder to shoulder, forming a bigger crowd than the Greg Oden and playoff rallies the Trail Blazers have held in the square in recent years.

"It's like Woodstock," said Keith Kunis, a 25-year-old marketing student at Portland Community College. "Davestock 2009."

Chappelle arrived at 12:53 a.m. to huge applause and people surging toward him, camera phones aloft. When he reached the stage, left in place for the square's lunchtime summer concert series, he turned on an amplifier the size of a toaster. It was barely audible beyond the first dozen rows of people.

One point that did come across: "Portland Police were kind enough not to arrest me," he said.

Chappelle starred in the 1998 marijuana-based comedy "Half Baked," which he also co-wrote. But he is best known for his wildly popular and often quoted sketch-comedy program, "Chappelle's Show," which ran from 2003-2005 on Comedy Central. He stunned fans when he reportedly walked away from a $50 million contract to continue doing the show, and has been somewhat of an enigma since then.

It wasn't clear why Chappelle was in town, or how the impromptu gathering came about. Though he did say, at one point, "I'm not here for money."

Most people had gone to the square at the last minute, after receiving a text message or other communication from a friend, coworker or roommate.

"He played the Bye and Bye (bar/restaurant in Northeast Portland) last night," 22-year-old Alyse McNeill said. "So I think he's just doing a tour through Twitter."

But instead of the 200 people Chappelle said he anticipated showing up at the square, thousands did. He had no entourage and, apparently, not one security guard.

Chappelle kept speaking to the crowd, at one point saying he was proud, "when people can stand this close together and not be angry."

A man climbed on stage, and Chappelle announced the man was going to get a better sound system, and would return in 20 minutes. People watched each bizarre turn of the evening from every surface of the square, from the top of Starbucks Coffee to the corrugated-tin roof of Shelly's Honkin' Huge Burritos cart.

When the man returned with the equipment, spectators fed orange and black power cords to the edges of the square to plug them in. But apparently there was no power.

Despite the fact that the late-night show in the square never really got going, the air was temperate and the mood mostly light. Occasionally a woman would flash the crowd, or Chappelle. A few attention seekers climbed onto the stage to pose for photos or shake Chappelle's hand. When a few people rocked the stage impatiently, others shouted "no!" or booed them. Despite the huge crowd police never intruded.

Chappelle seemed surprised by the scene.

"This has never happened in my entire career," he said, to a huge cheer. "I'm grateful everybody came out."

Chappelle did squeeze in some comedy. He compared one guy working on the sound system to Scotty from Star Trek, and took an OPB reporter's microphone and said, "Support Oregon Public Broadcasting." At one point, a woman and two men atop Starbucks began stripping as Chappelle gaped and the crowd cheered and jeered.

By 2 a.m., it was clear the sound system wouldn't go, and Chappelle wound things down. He thanked the crowd and shared a few things he learned, including: "Don't tell a secret in Portland."

He left the square at 2:09 a.m. and walked to the Heathman Hotel, where he held court with several dozen fans on the sidewalk.

"I'll catch you on Twitter," one man said to a friend as he left.

As Pioneer Square slowly cleared out, 29-year-old Jennifer Hudson sat on a step with her boyfriend, 28-year-old Connor Kirkwood, who praised the police's soft touch.

Just then, an officer approached and told them it was time to go. Then he left.

"See?" Hudson said. "That was so respectful."

Spurminator
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
That's awesome.

Ignignokt
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Never been impressed by Dave Chapelle.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Cool! :tu

tp2021
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm still waiting for the 3rd season

jacobdrj
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
That is very cool. Love DC. The man knows comedy, and has a sense for the 'street dramatic'.

fraga
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM

You just don't get it man...YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

mookie2001
07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
i dont get the police angle of the story?

he wasnt speaking at the G8 summit

thank you portland pd for not teargassing the crowd and brutalizing chapelle?

pkbpkb81
07-15-2009, 06:49 PM
that rocks

ManuTP9
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
man dave is funny as hell i own season 1 and 2 dvd and their still funny no matter how many times i watch them.

gtownspur
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
You just don't get it man...YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

:wakeup, tell me what i'm missing?

dickface
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM

He's way too popular for that.

gtownspur
07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
He's way too popular for that.

Brittneyesque.

ginobili's bald spot
07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
:wakeup, tell me what i'm missing?

A sense of humor.

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 01:07 AM
sprinkle that shit on the titties

phyzik
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM
D6Yplww55ao
I7fOAiTcDYk

If you cant laugh at that shit, kill yourself.

760Spursfan
07-16-2009, 06:27 PM
D6Yplww55ao
I7fOAiTcDYk

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

Priceless

SonOfAGun
07-16-2009, 07:46 PM
The show was too good for us all. Good things like that end quickly.

gtownspur
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
D6Yplww55ao
I7fOAiTcDYk

Trust me i totally laugh this off.

gtownspur
07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
A sense of humor.

Nah, i got some of that, i just lack the ability to sucumb to peer pressure and laugh hysterically at average level comedy.

Sherlock Holmes
07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Chappelle Show was without a doubt the funniest sketch comedy show on TV ever.

Compared to Chappelle show the following suck and are not funny: (BTW the following even without being compared to Chappelle show I never found to be funny, but just stupid, not funny stupid, just stupid).

SNL
In Living Color
New Kids on the Block
MadTV (except for the Arnold and Jesus skit)
Fill in the blank.

gtownspur
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Chappelle Show was without a doubt the funniest sketch comedy show on TV ever.

:lmao

Sherlock Holmes
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
lol @ GshitSpur

He always tries to suck the collective dicks of the Victoria Crew but always
get's rejected by everybody and everything.

sad

SonOfAGun
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Nah, i got some of that, i just lack the ability to sucumb to peer pressure and laugh hysterically at average level comedy.

average level comedy!?

Tell me one show that was airing at the time that was more funny.

average level comedy...yous crazy mang.

dickface
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
If Dave Chappelle was 75% less popular than he is right now, gtown would find him hilarious.

dickface
07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Tell me one show that was airing at the time that was more funny.

I'm sure we'll get a "Mr. Show" reference even though there hasn't been a more overrated show on earth. Speaking of Mr. Show, I'm pretty sure gtown is the David Cross character in this skit.

XCumH8LRo1A