Mason / Ginobili / (*)
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip /
McDyess / Bonner / Mahinmi

The guys fighting for that one position on the *regular* rotations would be:

Blair
Hairston
Williams

I gather if a big gets injured, Blair would take his place.

However, it's either Hairston or Williams for the regular position at SG or SF.

My hunch its Williams since he's got a better handle on the ball, can play PG and long enough to play SF. What's your take?

rjv
07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
hairston

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Blair will be our 3rd best big man, not our 6th. And Hairston brings more toughness/ athleticism/ physicality. Therefore Hairston> Williams.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
I haven't seen anything from Williams for me to say that he's as good as Malik..Hairston will be ahead of Finley by mid-December, book it(barring injury)..

if Pop is satisfied with Hill's performance as a PG by the end of pre-season, there's no reason to have Williams on the team..

rayray2k8
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Blair, then Hairston. Why do people think Dice is a 5? He's 6'9.

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Perhaps they're both fighting against one another for a spot in the rotation. However, it doesn't have to be that black and white. Pop is a creative guy with his rotations. If both have developed to a point where they've made the team, why can't one play SG and the other SF?

Mason/Manu/Hairston - SG
Jefferson/Finley/Williams - SF

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Also, there's pretty much no chance that Blair isn't ahead of Bonner and Haislip, barring injury..

GooberNuts
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I've definitely been impressed with Hairston's improvement so far, but I haven't seem Williams play recently so it's kind of a toss up at this moment. I would like to have Hairston but who knows...

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I haven't seen anything from Williams for me to say that he's as good as Malik..Hairston will be ahead of Finley by mid-December, book it(barring injury)..

God, I hope you're right. That's how it should be. However, I've learned to never, EVER, trust the Pop/Finley Bromance.

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Tough to call since we don't get to see Williams in summer league. They're close, but I'll give the edge to Hairston because I think he's the better shooter.

slick'81
07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah with williams hurt its hard to say right now but malik from atleast two summer league games has improved some

mudyez
07-15-2009, 04:12 PM
dont get me wrong...and I really love Blair...but I'm not that sure, if he will get more playing time than Bonner which gives us spacing...at this point I think Bonner is ahead of Blair in the rotation

Obstructed_View
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
The Spurs will not keep Marcus. He's a trade asset, nothing else. If he doesn't come back in time to showcase him he's either going to sit in a suit behind the bench until he's traded or be waived altogether.

Pucho!!!
07-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Haven't seen Williams since last yr, so really can't give him a fair assessment, but to be honest, I'd prefer Hairston cuz from what I remember he plays a lot better defense

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 04:15 PM
its very interesting to me that everyone views williams as a PG/ball handling guard. I never seen him play so my opinions wouldn't carry any weight. but its very exciting to hear that hes a ball handling guard, that just tells me that hes got a lot more potential than i thought.

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
dont get me wrong...and I really love Blair...but I'm not that sure, if he will get more playing time than Bonner which gives us spacing...at this point I think Bonner is ahead of Blair in the rotation

Bonner SHOULD be effective if he plays limited minutes. But i hope Blair is still ahead of Bonner :)

Obstructed_View
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
its very interesting to me that everyone views williams as a PG/ball handling guard. I never seen him play so my opinions wouldn't carry any weight. but its very exciting to hear that hes a ball handling guard, that just tells me that hes got a lot more potential than i thought.

Not everyone, just the folks who haven't watched him play. Unless something has drastically changed, he's still a small three with a hinky release who can handle the ball pretty well for a forward. He also scored a lot of points in the D League, so he generated some interest from teams.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Williams played the point almost exclusively for most of the season in Austin. One can question whether he could do it in the NBA, but the Spurs had him play that for a reason -- just as they signed him for a reason. Just being a trade chip makes little sense.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Has he really improved that much, CD?

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 04:39 PM
From one selfish fan's view, I want to see both of them make the 15 man roster.

timvp
07-15-2009, 04:42 PM
When interviewed, Buford sounded most excited when talking about Williams. From the sound of it, Williams has a legit shot to stick and perhaps even contribute.

I've never been high on Williams but Buford sounded let he was sold :wow

ChumpDumper
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Has he really improved that much, CD?He hit a really good mix of scoring and distributing by the end of the season. He also was never switched off of opposing point guards no matter how quick they were, unless he was being used to try to cool off someone else who had gotten hot.

Again, I have no idea if he can do the same things in the NBA, but it seems the Spurs are keen to have him try. There doesn't seem to be much urgency on their part to secure another vet point guard, but one never can tell.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
From one selfish fan's view, I want to see both of them make the 15 man roster.Haven't seen enough from Gist to put him above either of them right now, but there is still time.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Williams ended last season in the d-league with a 30/10/10 game. A week ago, Gist was the man, with entire threads dedicated to him-- now, after two mediocre summer league games, he's becoming an afterthought on spurstalk!

I'll agree with RC Buford-- having a 6'7" guy who can be the 3rd PG and play 3 positions is pretty nice, regardless of his popularity on extremely fickle internet forums.

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
If Williams is indeed capable of guarding PGs, it'll be interesting to see how he fares against some even stiffer PG competition.

ducks
07-15-2009, 04:59 PM
is this like a tp vs manu thread:downspin:

zepn
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Parker / Hill / Williams
Mason / Ginobili
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Blair

If Williams can play the point, then Hairston and Haislip will be the reserves, and they won't sign a 15th.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Parker / Hill / Williams
Mason / Ginobili
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Blair

If Williams can play the point, then Hairston and Haislip will be the reserves, and they won't sign a 15th.

Great post, I agree that this will be the roster.

Hairston will be the 3rd SF spot, and Haislip will be plugged as needed, and his athleticism and shooting experimented with to see where he stands and how much he can contribute.

Bruno
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I think that Williams is more talented than Hairston by a significant margin.

Williams problem is to find his niche in the NBA. Hairston's niche is well defined: athletic defender who can score a little. Williams is way more harder to plug into a NBA roster. Once a coach will find how to use Williams, he could do wonders.

beachwood
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I gotta go with my Arizona boy. Let's do it MWill!

fleggy2k2
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Williams problem is to find his niche in the NBA. Hairston's niche is well defined: athletic defender who can score a little. Williams is way more harder to plug into a NBA roster. Once a coach will find how to use Williams, he could do wonders.

what makes it so difficult for him to find a niche in the nba?

tp2021
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM

:wow

zepn
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Williams may not have a specific niche, but if he's even "pretty good" at playing the 3rd string 1, 2, and 3, that's a damn nice general niche that lot's of teams would like to have covered by one guy.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Would it be smart to compare Marcus Williams to a pre-injury Shaun Livingston?

Bruno
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
what makes it so difficult for him to find a niche in the nba?

A player with a SG/SF body whose main qualities are being a good passer and quite good rebounder is quite unusual.

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I gotta go with my Arizona boy. Let's do it MWill!

I hope he pans out. Would hate for that 2006 2nd round pick to go to waste.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I think the most valuable use for Williams might be as a second team point forward, where a line up consisting of him along with Manu and Hill would give the Spurs three guys who can bring up the ball.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Of course, the Spurs could deal Finley and have room for both Hairston and Williams...but I doubt they go that young in their swingman rotation.

CGD
07-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Our 12 man rotation looks like this:

Parker / Hill
Mason / Ginobili / (*)
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip /

The guys fighting for that one position on the *regular* rotations would be:

Blair
Hairston
Williams

I gather if a big gets injured, Blair would take his place.

However, it's either Hairston or Williams for the regular position at SG or SF.

My hunch its Williams since he's got a better handle on the ball, can play PG and long enough to play SF. What's your take?

Hmm, count them again. That's only 11. Hairston and Williams each have contracts, and therefore for the time being, a spot on the roster. Blair's contract is being worked out as we speak. The final spot will be between Gist/McClinton/other.

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Of course, the Spurs could deal Finley and have room for both Hairston and Williams...but I doubt they go that young in their swingman rotation.

But it sure is nice to dream.

In fact, that wouldn't be a dream, that'd be a miracle. :lol

picnroll
07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Popovich has always dreamed of a Paul Pressey type player and that's probably along the lines of what they're hoping from Williams.

spursbird
07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Hairston. Williams has too many turnovers and his FG% wasn't high in dleague.

galvatron3000
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
A player with a SG/SF body whose main qualities are being a good passer and quite good rebounder is quite unusual.

Just means coaches aren't willing to change their offense so if guys can't adjust to their style they may not make the team and even when they do you may see talent but wonder why the guy is underachieving. Change the offense to suit his skill sets would be the best idea but it won't happen. :toast

ceperez
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Folks, let's get real!

Malik Hairston at 6'4" is undersized for a small forward and his kind of player are a dime a dozen.

Marcus Williams at 6'7" with unusually long wingspan. In his last D-league games he was stuffing the stat sheet with triple double performances in points, rebounds and assists.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, Hairston is a "dime a dozen" player..that's why we've been missing a player with his style for years and years..

bigdog
07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I actually think Williams has a legit shot at making the roster. He has good size, and he's worked on his offense over the past couple of years. He had a great year with the Toros. All he needs to do is improve his defense. He can definitely score, though.

Some people might overrate his abilities as a PG, but he handled the PG duties for Austin last year fairly well. One wonders if that would translate to the NBA.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Both guys had sensational finishes in the D league last year, but since neither is going to be a starter or a star on the Spurs, I would at this point take the versatility of Williams-- more assists and rebounds, ability to play the point, greater length-- over the better shooting percentage of Hairston.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Williams ability to play the point is being overrated..we need more defensive-minded players right now, and Hairston is clearly a good individual defender with upside, and he can spread the floor a lot better..

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Folks, let's get real!

Malik Hairston at 6'4" is undersized for a small forward and his kind of player are a dime a dozen. .
Which is why I believe Hairston fits at a backup SG position.

Marcus Williams at 6'7" with unusually long wingspan. In his last D-league games he was stuffing the stat sheet with triple double performances in points, rebounds and assists.
Which is why Williams could potentially be considered as a SF, yet seemingly has the versatility enough to play multiple positions.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
He hit a really good mix of scoring and distributing by the end of the season. He also was never switched off of opposing point guards no matter how quick they were, unless he was being used to try to cool off someone else who had gotten hot.

Again, I have no idea if he can do the same things in the NBA, but it seems the Spurs are keen to have him try. There doesn't seem to be much urgency on their part to secure another vet point guard, but one never can tell.

Well I've pointed to Hairston's DL stats before, so Marcus should get the same benefit.

Could it be Pop and RC are dying for a Williams/McClinton pairing so they can hide each other's weaknesses?

zepn
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Williams ability to play the point is being overrated..we need more defensive-minded players right now, and Hairston is clearly a good individual defender with upside, and he can spread the floor a lot better..

The Spurs are going to need somebody to fill the 3rd PG spot. It's probably going to be a vaughn-type vet with no upside or Williams with lots of upside. Take your pick. But Hairston can't do it. Mason and Ginobili can do it but the rest of their games suffer to the point it's not worth the trade-off. And you don't want to waste Manu's minutes on him playing third string point guard anyway.

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Now i wish i watched Williams play, as of now i would say that Hairston position is more valuable cause we have no quality back up SFs.

zepn
07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Williams is 6'7 and can play the 1, 2, or 3.

ceperez
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Here's what RC Buford said yesterday:

"-Marcus Williams really blossomed this year. Toros coach Quin Snyder did a great job working with him -- not only helping him mature as a player but also helping him mature as a person.

-Williams took great strides. By the playoffs, he was averaging 30+ points, 10-11 rebounds and 10-11 assists. It was a really good learning experience for Williams and the Spurs are excited about what he can bring to the team this year.

-The Spurs have expanded the paradigm on how they are evaluating Williams. He may be able to be a backup point guard -- kind of a utility player on the perimeter playing three different position. He can defend two or three different positions. He's a really good rebounder. Snyder did a great job of expanding Williams' ballhandling ability and getting him comfortable with the ball in his hands. With Austin, he became a really good pick-and-roll player in regards to how to read the pick-and-roll and how to find the right players. "

and Hairston can do what?!

Kindergarten Cop
07-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Bonner was listed as our 5 and he is a shade under 6'10".

Tully365
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Overrated by who? RC Buford?

picnroll
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM

It seems from what ChumperDumper said, and he follows the Torros closely, that Williams drew the assignment of the tougher perimeter player over Hairston.

oligarchy
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Williams has grown a bit?

Pre-draft measurements:

Malik Hairston
Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach
6' 4.25" 6' 5.25" 204 6' 9" 8' 7.5"

Marcus Williams
6' 2" 6' 3.25" 215 6' 7" 8' 1.5"

Edit: DX has the other Williams' measurements listed under the AZ williams?

picnroll
07-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Different Marcus Williams. That Williams is the PG out of UConn.

oligarchy
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Different Marcus Williams. That Williams is the PG out of UConn.

No. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Williams-546/

I think they just put the wrong measurements up. It's the correct profile.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Williams has grown a bit?

Pre-draft measurements:

Malik Hairston
6' 4.25" 6' 5.25" 204 6' 9" 8' 7.5"

Marcus Williams
6' 2" 6' 3.25" 215 6' 7" 8' 1.5"

Edit: DX has the other Williams' measurements listed under the AZ williams?

Yeah, there's a mix up going on right now on the site. The first scouting report is about the UConn Marcus Williams on the UA Marcus Williams page.

picnroll
07-15-2009, 09:39 PM
No. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Williams-546/

I think they just put the wrong measurements up. It's the correct profile.

They posted UConn's Marcus Williams' 2006 stats.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2006&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=1

Arizona's Marcus Williams didn't go for 2007 pre-draft measurements.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2007&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=1

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
The one thing that seems lost in the discussion is that both of these guys are 22 years old. Hairston was one of the top players coming out of high school in the US when he graduated.

I'm not sure it will be an either/or decision. I think the Spurs are inclined to keep both. Their season(s) with the Toros may just have enabled the Spurs to keep them while they developed enough to warrant a shot at the rotation.

It's obvious RC is looking for a success story or three from Toro alumni.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:04 PM
They posted UConn's Marcus Williams' 2006 stats.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2006&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=1

Arizona's Marcus Williams didn't go for 2007 pre-draft measurements.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2007&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=1

Williams' wingspan mentioned as 7' in his NBAdraft.net profile. (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marcus-williams-az)

tav1
07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
The one thing that seems lost in the discussion is that both of these guys are 22 years old. Hairston was one of the top players coming out of high school in the US when he graduated.

I'm not sure it will be an either/or decision. I think the Spurs are inclined to keep both. Their season(s) with the Toros may just have enabled the Spurs to keep them while they developed enough to warrant a shot at the rotation.

It's obvious RC is looking for a success story or three from Toro alumni.

I already think they have their success stories, but we're just slow to realize it. Hairston, Williams and Mahinmi will all play for the Spurs next season.

You make a great point about the fallacy of either/or. The Hairston-Williams thing is a both/and. This thread is predicated on a false dilemma.

RC will get his argument for extending the Toros project. Holt will see it on display at every home game.

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Williams' wingspan mentioned as 7' in his NBAdraft.net profile. (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marcus-williams-az)

wow that is ridiculously long.

antimvp
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
williams is a triple double guy....every night. I think he should be our second/third point guard.......this is a guy that would flourish in the triangle......if we don't keep I am sure the lakers would love to have him.

kenson-q
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
no doubt
hairston

ChumpDumper
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
You make a great point about the fallacy of either/or. The Hairston-Williams thing is a both/and. This thread is predicated on a false dilemma.True. As has been said before, Williams may indeed be penciled in for the third point guard spot. His skill set is quite distinct from that of Hairston.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Although this off season has been unusual in many ways, it doesn't seem fitting with Pop's temperament and past to go into this season with anything like four or five rookies. But who knows-- maybe that was the trade off that RC sold him on, that he gets two good savvy vets in Jefferson and McDyess and in return has to deal with the headache of 4 rookies...:lol

bishopospurs
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Ben Wallace was a 6'9 5

ceperez
07-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I already think they have their success stories, but we're just slow to realize it. Hairston, Williams and Mahinmi will all play for the Spurs next season.

You make a great point about the fallacy of either/or. The Hairston-Williams thing is a both/and. This thread is predicated on a false dilemma.

My point is not who to keep (we can keep both), but who will be on the regular 12 man roster. Once you add all the veterans (who usually are always in the regular rotation), then you have a choice of either Williams or Hairston for the SG/SF position. Who do you choose then?

timaios
07-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Marcus E. Williams is 6'7
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_e_williams/career_stats.html

Malik Hairston is 6'6
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/malik_hairston/career_stats.html

K-State Spur
07-16-2009, 07:04 AM
I hope he pans out. Would hate for that 2006 2nd round pick to go to waste.

Technically, it already did since our current contract with Williams was independent of that pick being made.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
True. As has been said before, Williams may indeed be penciled in for the third point guard spot. His skill set is quite distinct from that of Hairston.

The more I think about it the more I think you're on to something here. Clearly the Spurs are targeting Hill to be the backup PG, so if things go the way the Spurs are hoping then the 3rd PG isn't going to be playing much. If they have any faith in Williams PG abilities at the NBA level at all then there is a lot of logic behind keeping someone with his versatility around. There's certainly value in having an NBA equivalent to a utility infielder on the roster.

Real unfortuante that Williams got hurt and can't be on the SL team. How he would have been used in these games would have told us a lot about what the Spurs are thinking.

DBMethos
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
All this speculation about Williams has made me really want to see him play...hopefully he'll be recovered in time for training camp/preseason.

Solid D
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
People keep talking about Marcus as though he is a Spurs' asset (for trades, etc.). Question: When did Marcus Williams sign a contract with the Spurs for the 2009-10 season? I know he signed a contract for the minimum on April 8, 2009 a few days after Drew Gooden signed a contract with them. However, I thought, just like Gooden, Williams is now a free agent. Does someone have a link to the contract signing for 2009-10?

Here are the contract listings on Patricia Bender's eskimo site:
http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/contracts

San Antonio Spurs Date # of total
Player signed years salary misc FA
Drew Gooden ........... 4/5/09 1 minimum '09
Marcus Williams ....... 4/8/09 1 minimum '09
Ime Udoka ............. 8/16/07 2 $2 million '09
Jacque Vaughn ......... 7/12/07 2 $2.5 million '09
Matt Bonner ........... 7/12/07 3 $9 million '10
Michael Finley ........ 8/23/08 2 $5 million '10
Emanuel Ginobili ...... 7/15/04 6 $52 million '10
Malik Hairston ........ 7/8/09 1 minimum '10
Marcus Haislip ........ 7/8/09 1 minimum '10
Roger Mason Jr ........ 7/11/08 2 ??? '10
Richard Jefferson ..... 7/13/01,8/13/04 4+6 $6,715,314+$76mill p-opt '10
Ian Mahinmi ........... 8/23/07 4 $4,976,350 rc t-opt '11
Tony Parker ........... 9/21/01,11/1/04 4+6 $3,946,521 + $66mill '11
Tim Duncan ............ 7/16/03,10/30/07 7+2 $122,007,704+$40 mill '12
George Hill ........... 9/24/08 4 $5,331,400 rc t-opt '11+12

Solid D
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
RealGM and Hoopshype both show Marcus under contract, in fact Hoopshype shows him at $825,497 for 2009-10 with a qualifying offer of $1,060,120 for 2010-11.

Was the contract that was signed on April 8th including 2009-10 and a qualif. for 2010-11? If so, I haven't been able to find the announcement. The April 8th announcement was non-specific. It would make sense if it was done that way at the end of last season in order to keep him.

The Truth #6
07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
The more I think about it the more I think you're on to something here. Clearly the Spurs are targeting Hill to be the backup PG, so if things go the way the Spurs are hoping then the 3rd PG isn't going to be playing much. If they have any faith in Williams PG abilities at the NBA level at all then there is a lot of logic behind keeping someone with his versatility around. There's certainly value in having an NBA equivalent to a utility infielder on the roster.

Real unfortuante that Williams got hurt and can't be on the SL team. How he would have been used in these games would have told us a lot about what the Spurs are thinking.

I agree. But at the same time, giving as many minutes as possible to Hill at the PG position is probably more important. As long as one of Williams or Hairston makes the team, then I'll be happy. If the FO creates room for both of them, then even better. We'll see how McClinton and Gist fare as we go along.

timaios
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
RealGM and Hoopshype both show Marcus under contract, in fact Hoopshype shows him at $825,497 for 2009-10 with a qualifying offer of $1,060,120 for 2010-11.

Was the contract that was signed on April 8th including 2009-10 and a qualif. for 2010-11? If so, I haven't been able to find the announcement. The April 8th announcement was non-specific. It would make sense if it was done that way at the end of last season in order to keep him.

Same thing on shamsports.com

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

zepn
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/ shows Williams as a regular member of the Spurs roster (not a free agent, or unsigned).

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree. But at the same time, giving as many minutes as possible to Hill at the PG position is probably more important. As long as one of Williams or Hairston makes the team, then I'll be happy. If the FO creates room for both of them, then even better. We'll see how McClinton and Gist fare as we go along.

Agree about Hill needing the majority of the PG minutes, but it would have been interesting to see whether the Spurs would have used Williams as the PG when Hill was out. Or if they would have tried playing some Williams at the 1 and Hill at the 2.

IMO Gist is caught in a numbers crunch and it really doesn't matter whether he plays well in the SL or not. The Spurs sure look like they think of him as a 4 and the Spurs are overloaded with 4's. He's not making the squad this year. McClinton, who knows? It seems backwards, but I actually think that McClinton would play better on the Spurs than he will on their summer league team. Put him on the floor with Tim Duncan and he starts getting open looks at the basket. Something he's not getting in the SL.

anonoftheinternets
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
somehow marcus williams seems more intriguing than hariston ... the upside is scary ... from what people are saying, he mite become a trevor ariza lite with ball handling capability ...

1usamotorsports.com
07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
somehow marcus williams seems more intriguing than hariston ... the upside is scary ... from what people are saying, he mite become a trevor ariza lite with ball handling capability ...

Marcus will do his thang just wait n see . :hat

Solid D
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/ shows Williams as a regular member of the Spurs roster (not a free agent, or unsigned).

Yeah, I saw that too zepn. I visited the Forum sporadically earlier in the year, so it could have been posted here and I missed it.

zepn
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that too zepn. I visited the Forum sporadically earlier in the year, so it could have been posted here and I missed it.

I didn't know either, so after you mentioned it that was just the first place I looked.

Ginnoobbllee
07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Holt spent all his dough getting Jefferson, Dice signed. Will now fill out the roster with as cheap as possible options. So will go with youth, since you've got a solid 10 deep roster.

Hence, Mahinimi, Hairston, Haislip, and Williams will make the roster and they will leave it at 14. Cheapest way to go and you continue to develop some youth and pluck the fruits from your farm system.

Could sign McClinton to a minimum contract if he warrants it, and assign him to Austin for necessary grooming and refertilize the farm system. That's 15.

If injuries crop up and you need vets, you can always bring one in via draft pick trade during the season.
:toast

hater
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
it's harvest time. hairston, williams can both contribute

ceperez
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Well there you have it folks, as of today's Blair signing, we have 13 man roster signed for the season:

Parker / Hill
Mason / Ginobili / Williams
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Blair

In other words, I highly doubt we'll sign a guaranteed contract with a 14th or 15th man. Typical spurs fashion will have them called up from D-league. What this means is that Hairston, Gist, McClinton are all out of luck! In fact, the most glaring hole right now is a true backup PG.

Solid D
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
it's harvest time. hairston, williams can both contribute

Mahinmi, Hairston and Williams need to contribute this season to show that the Spurs' financial investment in the Toros (as part of the Spurs Sports & Entertainment family of sports franchises) was worth it.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Well there you have it folks, as of today's Blair signing, we have 13 man roster signed for the season:

Parker / Hill
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Blair

In other words, I highly doubt we'll sign a guaranteed contract with a 14th or 15th man. Typical spurs fashion will have them called up from D-league. What this means is that Hairston, Gist, McClinton are all out of luck! In fact, the most glaring hole right now is a true backup PG.

Hairston has a contract too.

zepn
07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Start of the season:

Parker / Hill / Williams
Jefferson / Finley / Williams
Duncan / Blair / Mahinmi

Hairston and Haislip are the reserves

And just for fun, with Finley and Bonner as reserves:

Parker / Hill / Williams
Mason / Ginobili / Hairston
Jefferson / Williams / Hairston
Duncan / Blair / Haislip
McDyess / Mahinmi / Haislip

Obstructed_View
07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
My point is not who to keep (we can keep both), but who will be on the regular 12 man roster. Once you add all the veterans (who usually are always in the regular rotation), then you have a choice of either Williams or Hairston for the SG/SF position. Who do you choose then?

Since you can set the lineup every game, you let them play either according to matchups or just rotate them and decide by who's the most productive.

AFBlue
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Parker / Hill
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Blair

Probably won't fill both, but it's likely they fill one. Given the lack of depth at the wing, I'd give Hairston the edge.

Still, even signed I think it's very possible Hairston is sent down to the Toros to continue his development and is only really called up if there is a necessity.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
It's a damn shame Williams isn't playing in the summer league. I remember he had one great game last year with the Clippers, 30 pts 10 rebs? But also a few poor games. Hopefully hes ready to go come preseason time.

The Truth #6
07-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Wow. That's more than I thought they would pay him.

Sway
07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Parker / Hill
RJ / Finley
Duncan / Haislip / Blair

:tu

If I had to guess this would be the roster. Williams versatility (if he can perform) would be much more usefull to the team that what Hairston can bring.

zepn
07-16-2009, 07:50 PM
RC has already said they see Blair getting 20 minutes/game. He won't be third string. And only 12 players can be active (not 13). Hairston and Haislip will be the reserves.

Parker / Hill / Williams
Jefferson / Finley / Williams
Duncan / Blair / Mahinmi

BackHome
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Well alot of questions still need to be answered before we can put the names to stone. Is manu healed, can Ian play center, can Hill be a backup pg, has Williams matured, is Haislip as good as advertised?

Solid D
07-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Jeff McDonald posted this tonight about Marcus:

Summer League notes, Take 3 (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/summer-league-n.html#more)

* Marcus Williams. Williams isn't playing in Vegas, having undergone offseason wrist surgery. But he is here, and he is under contract with the Spurs for training camp. The Spurs brass loves him, so he will have every opportunity to make the roster in the fall.

So he is under contract with the Spurs for training camp....

DMX7
07-16-2009, 11:43 PM
That's amazing. Everyone seemed to have written him off as a bust.

ohmwrecker
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
This is how I see it going down. Just a guess though.

Parker/Hill/Williams
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Blair
McDyess/Mahinmi/Bonner

Reserves: Hairston, Haislip, ?

anakha
07-17-2009, 09:12 AM
If the Spurs keep Williams, that's a lot of backcourt combinations you can throw out there.

with Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Mason and Williams all able to play PG (at least for short stretches), that backcourt could be the most versatile the Spurs have had.

beachwood
07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, after further consideration, I am now officially on the Hairston bandwagon. I've seen improvements with each passing game and he's got great potential. Every time he shoots now, I expect it to go in.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2009, 04:26 AM
That's amazing. Everyone seemed to have written him off as a bust.

Let's not forget that he was waived twice by the Spurs, once by the Clippers and once by the Bobcats in his short career. He's made real improvements since he was drafted, but he wasn't a good draft pick. If he's able to stick in the NBA it's because he's worked his ass off to improve.

spursbird
07-18-2009, 04:42 AM
I believe Hairston has the potential to be our Maggette with solid defense.

angelbelow
07-21-2009, 12:17 AM
So I was just thinking about Marcus and how little I know about him. Would anyone be kind enough share some info/highlight videos?