PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the RC Buford Interview

timvp
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
During the second game of the summer league schedule, RC Buford was interviewed during the third quarter. Here are the notes on what was discussed.

-The Spurs are excited about what they've been able to accomplish this summer. The ownership group really stepped up in a big way and it allowed the Spurs to make some addition that can hopefully really help.

-The Spurs aren't the favorites; the Lakers are the champions. As long as they are wearing the rings and the trophy is residing in the Staples Center, we're all chasing them.

-George Hill did a nice job of learning this year. Pop gave him some confidence in a couple different directions -- playing with Tony Parker and then playing by himself when Parker was injured. Hill grew a great deal, especially in the playoffs against Dallas when he came in and played well when others weren't playing well. Summer league is another good learning experience.

-The Spurs don't know what to expect this season out of Ian Mahinmi. Two years ago he had a great season in Austin and ended up being the first-team All D-League center. Then last year in Las Vegas he suffered a bad ankle injury and now these are the first games Mahinmi is playing in a year. The Spurs don't know where Mahinmi stands. Due to the age of the team last year, the Spurs weren't able to practice much even when Mahinmi got healthy so they're not sure about what he's capable of doing.

-Buford loves Mahinmi's activity level in Game 2 of summer league. It's a challenge for him because Denver is doing a great job of running the floor. Their big guys are running and their guards push it and throw the ball ahead to the bigs. The pace of play is good for Mahinmi's habits.

-A lot of times during the draft, it takes until the last second of the allowable time to figure out who to pick. That wasn't the case with DeJuan Blair.

-The Spurs have a lot to learn about Blair -- he's very young, he just turned 20 years old. The Spurs need to learn a lot about his body and find out what he's capable of doing.

-Blair could have great opportunities or he could be put into a situation where it's tough to live up to the expectations. Due to the expectations in San Antonio, there's not much of a growth curve that is allowed when every night the Spurs are expected to win.

-It's still to be seen if Blair can fill the toughness void left by trading away Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen. Blair is a great rebounder, a great screen-setter and has really good hands. An underrated skill of his is his passing ability. The Spurs will find out what he's capable of doing but they liked what they saw of him in college.

-Replacing the defense of Kurt Thomas will be a taller task than Blair will be ready for in his rookie season since Thomas is one of the post defenders -- maybe ever.

-Spurs are trying to learn about Blair's body so they didn't play him. Plus, the Spurs are trying to get a good read on what they have in James Gist. In forthcoming games, other bigmen might sit to give Blair more minutes.

-Malik Hairston has become a very capable defender. In Austin, he grew as a passer and a leader. Hairston has always been a really high character guy but his role with the Toros gave him the confidence that he could step into an NBA game and be ready to play. In college, Hairston played a lot of power forward so playing in Austin allowed him to get comfortable playing a at a natural guard position.

-Marcus Williams really blossomed this year. Toros coach Quin Snyder did a great job working with him -- not only helping him mature as a player but also helping him mature as a person.

-Williams took great strides. By the playoffs, he was averaging 30+ points, 10-11 rebounds and 10-11 assists. It was a really good learning experience for Williams and the Spurs are excited about what he can bring to the team this year.

-The Spurs have expanded the paradigm on how they are evaluating Williams. He may be able to be a backup point guard -- kind of a utility player on the perimeter playing three different position. He can defend two or three different positions. He's a really good rebounder. Snyder did a great job of expanding Williams' ballhandling ability and getting him comfortable with the ball in his hands. With Austin, he became a really good pick-and-roll player in regards to how to read the pick-and-roll and how to find the right players.

-Hill was 2-for-25 to start summer league last year but the thing the Spurs were most impressed with was his maturity and how he attacked last year's summer. And though last year it didn't play out particularly well for him, Hill didn't bat an eye and instead kept working. He continued to grow and then suddenly -- a half a dozen games into the season -- Tony Parker got hurt and Hill had to play significant minutes. Hill responded by really playing well.

-Hill playing 1,200 minutes as a rookie with the Spurs and with the high expectation level that Duncan, Ginobili, Pop and Parker bring was an incredibly burdensome responsibility. Hill handled it tremendously. Pop normally shortens the rotation in the playoffs and he did that at the end of the season with Mason playing a lot of the backup point. When things didn't go well for Mason in the playoffs, Hill stepped in and was one of the team's better players in the minutes that he got.

-If you don't score points against the Lakers, you aren't going to be able to beat them. You have to get offense and that's where Richard Jefferson can help the Spurs significantly. Jefferson joining the team will give the team four scorers -- with three scorers on the court at all times. But at the end of the day Pop says "we am who we am" and that starts and stops at the defensive end of the floor.

galvatron3000
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Williams making the team is going to be interesting if he indeed can be this utility player Buford mentions (which I hope is true) but it raises the question who stays, goes to Austin, gets cut and where is the Big we need in the middle for bench depth?

coyotes_geek
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
But at the end of the day Pop says "we am who we am" and that starts and stops at the defensive end of the floor.

Clearly RC does not spend enough time on Spurstalk. If he did he would know that the Spurs are going to be averaging 110 points per game next year.

Leetonidas
07-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn, those are some impressive numbers from Williams. I wonder if he will actually make the team this year and be a nice surprise. I don't think anyone here was really thinking about him to do anything next year.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Williams making the team is going to be interesting if he indeed can be this utility player Buford mentions (which I hope is true) but it raises the question who stays, goes to Austin, gets cut and where is the Big we need in the middle for bench depth?

Yep: it's going to be tough.

Other than the obvious of Hill and Blair, I think Hairston and Ian must make the team as well. After those 4, is their any room for Williams?!??!?

How many roster spots do the Spurs have total?!?!?

honestfool84
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Clearly RC does not spend enough time on Spurstalk. If he did he would know that the Spurs are going to be averaging 110 points per game next year.

:lol

Vic Petro
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Again, I find the Williams comments most intriguing. There is no reason for RC to say "we're excited to see what he can bring to our team this year" if he doesn't plan on the kid being on the team. We see a clear hole at 3rd PG which would necessitate other guys on the team being comfortable with the ball in their hands. I think the only guys on our roster capable of that are Ginobili and Mason (who no one wants to see with the ball in his hands making decisions). Very intriguing that RC has begun talking up Williams as a potential backup PG. Perhaps he fills that wild card/3rd PG role.

mingus
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
didn't realize Marcus Williams was so dominant. seems like he's pretty under the radar for spurs fans.

anybody know how tall he is and if he can play defense (can he be our permiter defender that we seem to be missing)?

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
[-If you don't score points against the Lakers, you aren't going to be able to beat them. You have to get offense and that's where Richard Jefferson can help the Spurs significantly. Jefferson joining the team will give the team four scorers -- with three scorers on the court at all times. But at the end of the day Pop says "we am who we am" and that starts and stops at the defensive end of the floor.

If that's truly the case, Pop might want to be a bit more conservative in his use of Finley this year. In fact, he should open up competition for the backup SF spot.

timvp
07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
RC was giddy when talking about Williams. It sounds like he has a pretty damn good chance of making the team.

ducks
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
RC was giddy when talking about Williams. It sounds like he has a pretty damn good chance of making the team.

cia rc
here cometh a trade with him packaged in it with finley and booner

timvp
07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
cia rc
here cometh a trade with him packaged in it with finley and booner

There's really no reason to talk him up in a trade. He doesn't hold any value outside of his non-guaranteed contract. If he's traded, it'd just be for financial reasons.

Ocotillo
07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Wasn't Williams the first pick after Presti left?

I recall when he was eventually cut, so many here on the board were ready to tar and feather R.C. and believing Presti was the real eye for talent.

My point is, R.C. may have an emotional investment in Marcus as he was the first non-Presti or Shuler pick.

I don't think R.C. cares what a bunch of posters on a message board have to say but even he recognizes it's been a while since Manu and Tony did so well for low draft picks.

It will be interesting to see how Williams performs in camp and pre-season. Didn't Bruno have a healthy expectation for Marcus?

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Hairston, Williams, and Mahinmi are tests of the Toros acquisition and operation.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Hairston, Williams, and Mahinmi are tests of the Toros acquisition and operation.

Yes. They seem to be the model D-League franchise as of now. Many players that shun the D-League often speak highly of the way the Spurs/Toros operate.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Marcus Williams' last 5 games for the Toros last season:

33 points, 12 assists, 12 rebounds

33, 8, 9

29, 13, 14

26, 10, 7

29, 4, 6

SequSpur
07-15-2009, 05:22 PM
wtf....the Lakers? The Spurs couldn't beat Dallas, Denver or LA in a 7 game series.

They also can't beat the Cavs, the Magic, or the Celtics.

Richard Jefferson, McDice and Blair do nothing to solve that equation....

WTF? Quit fucking blowing smoke up your fan's ass. We aren't fucking stupid.

SonOfAGun
07-15-2009, 05:26 PM
lololol

Libri
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
It's still to be seen if Blair can fill the toughness void left by trading away Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen.Bonner was playing the center position, so I'm pretty sure Blair can handle the toughness.

timvp
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Good point. For all the good the Toros have done so far, they haven't really helped out the Spurs at all yet.

2009-10 has a chance to be the year we see the investment start paying off.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Good point. For all the good the Toros have done so far, they haven't really helped out the Spurs at all yet.

2009-10 has a chance to be the year we see the investment start paying off.

Can you imagine if Hairston, Williams, and Ian ALL became solid contributors for the Spurs this year (on top of Blair and Hill, and the addition of RJ and Dice)?!?!?

The Spurs would be so talented that Duncan would quit, seeing as how he's NEVER been surrounded by this much talent, and now a team oozing such talent is downright offensive to him.

timvp
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Can you imagine if Hairston, Williams, and Ian ALL became solid contributors for the Spurs this year (on top of Blair and Hill, and the addition of RJ and Dice)?!?!?

The Spurs would be so talented that Duncan would quit, seeing as how he's NEVER been surrounded by this much talent, and now a team oozing such talent is downright offensive to him.

Are you related to Sequ?

completely deck
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
wtf....the Lakers? The Spurs couldn't beat Dallas, Denver or LA in a 7 game series.

They also can't beat the Cavs, the Magic, or the Celtics.

Richard Jefferson, McDice and Blair do nothing to solve that equation....

WTF? Quit fucking blowing smoke up your fan's ass. We aren't fucking stupid.

I liked it better when you weren't posting.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Hairston, Williams, and Mahinmi each have a better shot at making the active roster than they did before. The funny thing is that they are all 22 years old. And don't forget about Hill, Blair, and Gist.

The Spurs could conceivably have a young group of athletes surrounding their Big 5.

Mark in Austin
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Hairston, Williams, and Mahinmi each have a better shot at making the active roster than they did before. The funny thing is that they are all 22 years old. And don't forget about Hill, Blair, and Gist.

The Spurs could conceivably have a young group of athletes surrounding their Big 5.

Never thought it would be possible at the end of te season but this summer might be shaping up to be a more significant retooling than the one done before the '03 season.

Pretty remarkable when you stop & think about it.

Solid D
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm sure RC will be excited for Marcus whenever he finally sticks on an NBA roster, wherever that may be.

tp2021
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM
-Replacing the defense of Kurt Thomas will be a taller task than Blair will be ready for in his rookie season since Thomas is one of the post defenders -- maybe ever.O RLY?

But at the end of the day Pop says "we am who we am" and that starts and stops at the defensive end of the floor.Then Bruce better come back.

mookie2001
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
will my post disappear if i post in this thread?

intlspurshk
07-15-2009, 05:58 PM
So jeff is off the hook as RC didnot even mention him

Tully365
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
The FO of the Spurs has to be applauded for their work in the draft in recent years: late first round pick Hill is solidly in the NBA, Mahinmi is almost assured of making it, and second round picks Blair, Hairston, Gist, and Marcus Williams are all likely to play in the NBA. That's an amazingly successful track record.

tav1
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
I've thought that Williams would be the team's third point since they signed him. I'll echo what CD has already said, but this is the direction Williams was going at the end of last season. I had always been low on Williams, but he really looked the part of a point forward.

iilluzioN
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
He wont be fighting for MIN with Hairston.... Marcus is a Guard.... a 6'7 guard I might add... 1 inch taller then Kobe :)

Blackjack
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
-Replacing the defense of Kurt Thomas will be a taller task than Blair will be ready for in his rookie season since Thomas is one of the post defenders -- maybe ever.

KT's going to be a bigger loss than most know or want to admit, and counting on 'Dyess and Mahinmi to fill that role isn't the best of scenarios.

It's why it remains my belief the Spurs still need another proven defensive big, 6' 10'' or greater, to be added/acquired.

'Dyess may be KT on steroids offensively but he's not capable of making up for his size defensively like Kurt. And Mahinmi has a lot of nice tools defensively but is an unproven/unknown quantity.

The only two bigs the Spurs know what they have in are: Duncan and 'Dyess.

Duncan needs one more big that eases the burden of guarding the legit size of the top contenders.

-The Spurs have expanded the paradigm on how they are evaluating Williams. He may be able to be a backup point guard -- kind of a utility player on the perimeter playing three different position. He can defend two or three different positions. He's a really good rebounder. Snyder did a great job of expanding Williams' ballhandling ability and getting him comfortable with the ball in his hands. With Austin, he became a really good pick-and-roll player in regards to how to read the pick-and-roll and how to find the right players.

I absolutely love the idea of a successful Williams, I've just wondered if he had the footspeed and athleticism to compete at the NBA level.

He's a hell of a rebounder, he can get to the line, he plays the passing lanes well with that wingspan, (a very good potential team defender) and his point-forward abilities at 6' 7'' make him an ideal fit with the players on this roster.

Hopefully R.C.'s enthusiasm is well warranted..

-If you don't score points against the Lakers, you aren't going to be able to beat them. You have to get offense and that's where Richard Jefferson can help the Spurs significantly. Jefferson joining the team will give the team four scorers -- with three scorers on the court at all times. But at the end of the day Pop says "we am who we am" and that starts and stops at the defensive end of the floor.

Anyone who watched the Spurs in '08 realizes their offense needed an upgrade to hang with the Lakers, but I think it's pretty significant the way Pop looked to alter his defense (in the mold of Boston) and has been looking to find his own Eddie House.

Looking at Boston, and how they were able to defeat the Lakers, I think Pop envisions that being the best model for his Spurs to do the same.

K.G. is a face-up big who was more complimentary than dominant offensively, (something Pop's been looking to make Tim more of) Pierce was the unquestioned closer (ala Ginobili) and Rondo, while not at the same level, is a point that made his living in the paint. (ala Parker)

The Spurs lack a Posey-type player but Jefferson's overall ability might be enough to overcome that. It's not like there's one way to skin a cat.

I think you might've been on to something, timvp, when you suggested the Spurs might be looking for a more physical, even if smaller, defender at the 4/5 to combat a Gasol or Bynum. Blair would fit the bill as their Powe/Davis, but it'd be pretty dicey depending on one rookie to come through like that.

When I look at:

Garnett/Perkins/Brown/Powe/Davis/Scalabrine

Duncan/'Dyess/Mahinmi/Blair/Haislip/Bonner

I like Boston's size/length better but there are some similarities, and optimism, that the Spurs aren't too far off.

Someone in the Foster mold, would make a lot of sense.

BackHome
07-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree we need to get another big in case Timmy knees flare up again and I think Foster would fit in nicely. He is a banger and he can guard some of the more bigger centers that we will be facing during the playoffs.

Williams did light it up when he was playing with the Toros...scoring and rebounding the kid did it all. The issue with Williams I think is that he thought his game was NBA ready which it was not. He should have listened to the people who were telling him to stay in Arizona one more year that he wasn't ready. You read alot about his maturity or lack of during his first summer and it seems he has grown up which could be a good thing for us.

Russ
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
[I]-Buford loves Mahinmi's activity level in Game 2 of summer league. It's a challenge for him because Denver is doing a great job of running the floor. Their big guys are running and their guards push it and throw the ball ahead to the bigs. The pace of play is good for Mahinmi's habits.

Mahinmi has to be the most enigmatic (and longstanding) Spur prospect of all time.

RC makes a good point about the summer league pace being good for Ian. He has fared best in up tempo formats like the summer league and the D league. Can he transition from fire drill free-for-alls to half-court rotations? At this point, he looks like a long-legged Bambi bounding around the court. Can he root himself under the basket for a tough rebound against a wiley veteran?

The Spurs brass has been uniformly noncomittal in their public statements about Mahinmi -- as if repeating talking points. RC pointedly volunteers that they don't know what to expect of him. In response to a question about Ian's great potential, Lindsey hestitates and replies "that's what we would hope."

They clearly want to get Mahinmi's attention and they appear to have it -- he's playing with urgency. This little subplot will be interesting to monitor until October 31 when the Spurs must decide upon his '10-'11 option.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
KT's going to be a bigger loss than most know or want to admit, and counting on 'Dyess and Mahinmi to fill that role isn't the best of scenarios.

It's why it remains my belief the Spurs still need another proven defensive big, 6' 10'' or greater, to be added/acquired.

'Dyess may be KT on steroids offensively but he's not capable of making up for his size defensively like Kurt. And Mahinmi has a lot of nice tools defensively but is an unproven/unknown quantity.

The only two bigs the Spurs know what they have in are: Duncan and 'Dyess.

Duncan needs one more big that eases the burden of guarding the legit size of the top contenders.

I absolutely love the idea of a successful Williams, I've just wondered if he had the footspeed and athleticism to compete at the NBA level.

He's a hell of a rebounder, he can get to the line, he plays the passing lanes well with that wingspan, (a very good potential team defender) and his point-forward abilities at 6' 7'' make him an ideal fit with the players on this roster.

Hopefully R.C.'s enthusiasm is well warranted..

Anyone who watched the Spurs in '08 realizes their offense needed an upgrade to hang with the Lakers, but I think it's pretty significant the way Pop looked to alter his defense (in the mold of Boston) and has been looking to find his own Eddie House.

Looking at Boston, and how they were able to defeat the Lakers, I think Pop envisions that being the best model for his Spurs to do the same.

K.G. is a face-up big who was more complimentary than dominant offensively, (something Pop's been looking to make Tim more of) Pierce was the unquestioned closer (ala Ginobili) and Rondo, while not at the same level, is a point that made his living in the paint. (ala Parker)

The Spurs lack a Posey-type player but Jefferson's overall ability might be enough to overcome that. It's not like there's one way to skin a cat.

I think you might've been on to something, timvp, when you suggested the Spurs might be looking for a more physical, even if smaller, defender at the 4/5 to combat a Gasol or Bynum. Blair would fit the bill as their Powe/Davis, but it'd be pretty dicey depending on one rookie to come through like that.

When I look at:

Garnett/Perkins/Brown/Powe/Davis/Scalabrine

Duncan/'Dyess/Mahinmi/Blair/Haislip/Bonner

I like Boston's size/length better but there are some similarities, and optimism, that the Spurs aren't too far off.

Someone in the Foster mold, would make a lot of sense.

Great post, BlackJack!

Just excellent perspective. The comparisons between Boston 2008 and the Spurs in 2010 are just EERIE.

Also, I think the addition of a players like Ian and Hairslip have SO MUCH POTENTIAL, to overload the LA's height and size, but in different ways.

Ian is so athletic and fast that even in a supporting role, all long as the Spurs pass confidently, his speed in the post area can really rack up foul trouble on LA's bigs in a hurry.

Hairston, on the other hand, has the potential to take a big, any big, whether Odom or Gasol or Bynum, and FORCE them to leave the the place they're most effective in: the painted area. And while Odom is certainly more able to chase Haislip, that will cause the Lakers to sorely miss his freakish rebounding and deceptively good defensive presence, allowing Blair and co. to pull down EVEN MORE REBOUNDS. And even if the Lakers bigs can chase Haislip of the 3, he can go by them easily and attack the rim and finish- WITH AUTHORITY. It's easy to see the fouls racking up on the Lakers, and LA not having much answer for Haislip. If they put Artest on Haislip, then Manu/Jefferson go nuts.

So all the while, the Spurs are adding and preparing a plan of attack that Boston ALREADY EXECUTED, and while Boston had somethings SA does not (ie Posey, the Kobe defender: but perhaps Hairston will at least do admirable job), the Spurs have some things Boston did not (a perimeter athletic freak in Haislip, a point guard like Parker, a insane rebounder like Blair, a 6-11 fast and agile big like Ian, though it could be argued that he is the Spur's Powe).

Otherwise, most of the other factors even out.

Hopefully, the Spurs can repeat Boston's "long armed" success against the Lakers.

All other things, as you said, equal out.

50 cent
07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Put the pipe down dude. There really isn't even room for 5 of that group making active roster.

I think it's Hairston or Williams fighting it out for a spot and then Mahinmi or Gist for the other.

Bender
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Damn, those are some impressive numbers from Williams. I wonder if he will actually make the team this year and be a nice surprise. I don't think anyone here was really thinking about him to do anything next year.
I don't know what happened to that poster named Austin Toros, but he had "M-Will" on the brain...

certainly his biggest fan.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Put the pipe down dude. There really isn't even room for 5 of that group making active roster.

I think it's Hairston or Williams fighting it out for a spot and then Mahinmi or Gist for the other.

So there's not a better shot for those three this year? Assuming the current roster will stay the same is assuming a lot, especially with Bonner and Finley's expiring contracts and that the Spurs didn't want Finley back. Lay off the sauce. Change is afoot and you're late in recognizing it.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I love when MB turns his hatred of humans into quality posting.

Tully365
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm going to assume that when RC said Kurt Thomas might be one of the best post defenders ever that he meant in the history of recent Spurs that played beside Tim Duncan.... and not that he thinks Thomas is a better post defender than, say, Hakeem or Bill Russell. :lol

loveforthegame
07-16-2009, 12:33 AM
So there's not a better shot for those three this year? Assuming the current roster will stay the same is assuming a lot, especially with Bonner and Finley's expiring contracts and that the Spurs didn't want Finley back. Lay off the sauce. Change is afoot and you're late in recognizing it.

Do we know for sure the Spurs didn't want Finley back?

tmtcsc
07-16-2009, 12:38 AM

At whose expense ?

Vic Petro
07-16-2009, 01:01 AM
At whose expense ?

Gist and McClinton early "leaders" in this race.

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili
Jefferson/Finley/Hairston/Williams
McDyess/Haislip/Blair
Duncan/Bonner/Mahinmi

That's 14.

Tully365
07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
It seems like almost overnight a change has occurred, with the prevailing opinion being that Marcus Williams has a better shot of making the team than Gist. That definitely wasn't the case even a week ago.

timvp
07-16-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm going to assume that when RC said Kurt Thomas might be one of the best post defenders ever that he meant in the history of recent Spurs that played beside Tim Duncan.... and not that he thinks Thomas is a better post defender than, say, Hakeem or Bill Russell. :lol

RC is far from the first person to claim that Kurt Thomas is one of the best post defenders ever. A number of coaches have gone on record with the same opinion.

One-on-one in the post against a power player, KT is one of the best I've ever seen.

timvpluva
07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
During the second game of the summer league schedule, RC Buford was interviewed during the third quarter. Here are the notes on what was discussed.

-The Spurs are excited about what they've been able to accomplish this summer. The ownership group really stepped up in a big way and it allowed the Spurs to make some addition that can hopefully really help.

-The Spurs aren't the favorites; the Lakers are the champions. As long as they are wearing the rings and the trophy is residing in the Staples Center, we're all chasing them.

-George Hill did a nice job of learning this year. Pop gave him some confidence in a couple different directions -- playing with Tony Parker and then playing by himself when Parker was injured. Hill grew a great deal, especially in the playoffs against Dallas when he came in and played well when others weren't playing well. Summer league is another good learning experience.

-The Spurs don't know what to expect this season out of Ian Mahinmi. Two years ago he had a great season in Austin and ended up being the first-team All D-League center. Then last year in Las Vegas he suffered a bad ankle injury and now these are the first games Mahinmi is playing in a year. The Spurs don't know where Mahinmi stands. Due to the age of the team last year, the Spurs weren't able to practice much even when Mahinmi got healthy so they're not sure about what he's capable of doing.

-Buford loves Mahinmi's activity level in Game 2 of summer league. It's a challenge for him because Denver is doing a great job of running the floor. Their big guys are running and their guards push it and throw the ball ahead to the bigs. The pace of play is good for Mahinmi's habits.

-A lot of times during the draft, it takes until the last second of the allowable time to figure out who to pick. That wasn't the case with DeJuan Blair.

-The Spurs have a lot to learn about Blair -- he's very young, he just turned 20 years old. The Spurs need to learn a lot about his body and find out what he's capable of doing.

-Blair could have great opportunities or he could be put into a situation where it's tough to live up to the expectations. Due to the expectations in San Antonio, there's not much of a growth curve that is allowed when every night the Spurs are expected to win.

-It's still to be seen if Blair can fill the toughness void left by trading away Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen. Blair is a great rebounder, a great screen-setter and has really good hands. An underrated skill of his is his passing ability. The Spurs will find out what he's capable of doing but they liked what they saw of him in college.

-Spurs are trying to learn about Blair's body so they didn't play him. Plus, the Spurs are trying to get a good read on what they have in James Gist. In forthcoming games, other bigmen might sit to give Blair more minutes.

-Malik Hairston has become a very capable defender. In Austin, he grew as a passer and a leader. Hairston has always been a really high character guy but his role with the Toros gave him the confidence that he could step into an NBA game and be ready to play. In college, Hairston played a lot of power forward so playing in Austin allowed him to get comfortable playing a at a natural guard position.

-Marcus Williams really blossomed this year. Toros coach Quin Snyder did a great job working with him -- not only helping him mature as a player but also helping him mature as a person.

-Williams took great strides. By the playoffs, he was averaging 30+ points, 10-11 rebounds and 10-11 assists. It was a really good learning experience for Williams and the Spurs are excited about what he can bring to the team this year.

-Hill was 2-for-25 to start summer league last year but the thing the Spurs were most impressed with was his maturity and how he attacked last year's summer. And though last year it didn't play out particularly well for him, Hill didn't bat an eye and instead kept working. He continued to grow and then suddenly -- a half a dozen games into the season -- Tony Parker got hurt and Hill had to play significant minutes. Hill responded by really playing well.

-Hill playing 1,200 minutes as a rookie with the Spurs and with the high expectation level that Duncan, Ginobili, Pop and Parker bring was an incredibly burdensome responsibility. Hill handled it tremendously. Pop normally shortens the rotation in the playoffs and he did that at the end of the season with Mason playing a lot of the backup point. When things didn't go well for Mason in the playoffs, Hill stepped in and was one of the team's better players in the minutes that he got.

Did you write this yourself? Great post. Kori is lucky she nabbed you before I could find you:married:

mazerrackham
07-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Did you write this yourself? Great post. Kori is lucky she nabbed you before I could find you:married:

stalker alert, stalker alert :eyebrows

Man In Black
07-16-2009, 02:31 AM
As someone who was there in the beginning, it was TimVP who "nabbed" Kori.
He knew what he wanted and came out here to So Cal to get it.
:bking

Tully365
07-16-2009, 02:37 AM
RC is far from the first person to claim that Kurt Thomas is one of the best post defenders ever. A number of coaches have gone on record with the same opinion.

One-on-one in the post against a power player, KT is one of the best I've ever seen.

I'd love to see a link where someone of note calls him the best post defender ever.

I agree, he's very good. Just not the best ever.

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 02:38 AM

Kori Ellis Cant_Be_Faded by timvpluva..;)

kace
07-16-2009, 03:39 AM

stay in line. Timvp got tons of lovers here.

timvp
07-16-2009, 03:43 AM
stay in line. Timvp got tons of lovers here.You must not have a very good troll detector.

P.S.

Your anti-George Hill alarm must have beeped :lol

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
LOL @ "he doesnt have limits"

kace
07-16-2009, 03:59 AM
In Matthew 12:30, Timvp says - You're With Me Or Against Me

K-State Spur
07-16-2009, 07:15 AM
I agree we need to get another big in case Timmy knees flare up again and I think Foster would fit in nicely. He is a banger and he can guard some of the more bigger centers that we will be facing during the playoffs.

There are reasons that a guy like Foster would make sense, but there is no "in case."

If Tim's knee(s) flairs up to the point that it costs him significant playing time in the postseason - there is no championship, foster or no foster.

50 cent
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM
I realize we are making a nice movement towards youth, but you are just damn crazy if you think Mahinmi, Gist, Hairston, Williams, Hill, and Blair are all going to be on the active roster this season.

Pop would go insane with that much youth.

tmtcsc
07-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Not in the last couple of years he wasn't. Put him up against a PF with mobility and he was toast. Specifically -> Pau Gasol. To be fair, not many people can guard Gasol but KT turned out to be average at best.

I expected so much more from him and that adds to my disappointment.

timvp
07-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Not in the last couple of years he wasn't. Put him up against a PF with mobility and he was toast. Specifically -> Pau Gasol. To be fair, not many people can guard Gasol but KT turned out to be average at best.

I expected so much more from him and that adds to my disappointment.

Gasol isn't really a post player and he's certainly not a power player. Judging how KT guarded Gasol doesn't apply to the statement.

When the Spurs traded for KT, I thought his lack of quickness was a bad pairing for Duncan. They played a little bit better together than I thought but that double lack of quickness ended up making KT not to valuable by the end of last season.

timvp
07-16-2009, 08:30 AM
R.C. may have an emotional investment in Marcus

That's a good point. Buford was the one who went to Arizona, sat in on the practices and went to bat for the Spurs to pick him. After Williams bombed out so quickly, it probably couldn't have been good for the ol' ego.

We'll see with Williams. I've never been too impressed with him. From what I saw in D-League he looks better but I don't see how it would translate to the NBA. I'd be stunned if he could defend against NBA point guards.

This coming preseason is going to be very interesting. Hopefully a few of the young guns emerge and make this team even deeper.

07-16-2009, 08:34 AM
i don't know how this discussion turned to one about kurt thomas but he was one of the top post defenders in the league. the spurs will miss his interior production but i think they got rid of him at the right time. he will be 37 by next season and it would be hard to imagine him keeping up his defense. the trade for kt was extremely underrated and the spurs were smart to pick him up. he practically made shaq a non factor in the 2008 playoffs. he just didn't have the mobility to guard odom or gasol.

Drom John
07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
The old Spur Thomas was a very good post defender. The young Thomas was a great post defender. Not Unseld, Russell good, but in the conversation for next tier.

kace
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
The old Spur Thomas was a very good post defender. The young Thomas was a great post defender. Not Unseld, Russell good, but in the conversation for next tier.

Yes. i woul say that KT was a very solid post defender with the spurs, and was very useful for us. but nothing close to great IMO.

but what is funny is that some people now say that KT was one of the best post defender EVER, and still, when Dice was brought here, they said it was a very huge improvement for the team.

Even if they don't exactly have the same tools and role, i still see the Dice coming comparable as the KT one: a very solid big man, who used to be close to great, but near the end of his career. still very happy with Dice coming.

AFBlue
07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I realize we are making a nice movement towards youth, but you are just damn crazy if you think Mahinmi, Gist, Hairston, Williams, Hill, and Blair are all going to be on the active roster this season.

Pop would go insane with that much youth.

I think at least 5 of the 6 should make the roster, 4 of those 5 should dress most nights and 3 of those 4 should get regular minutes.

And despite being young...Hill, Mahinmi, Williams, and Hairston have more than a season playing in the Spurs system.

All that, plus there really aren't that many other options for the remaining $$$, so they'll HAVE to be given opportunity.

Ocotillo
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Gist appears to be turning into Bryon Bracey. I suspect they will try to get him back to Europe and if he balks, they will be forced to release his rights.

Mahinmi, Hill, Hairston and Blair will al be on the roster with only maybe Hairston going back and forth between the Spurs and Toros.

Brazil
07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
kace and timvp are a great couple... I mean Kori and timvp are a great couple but the kace and timvp fights are better ;)

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes. i woul say that KT was a very solid post defender with the spurs, and was very useful for us. but nothing close to great IMO.

but what is funny is that some people now say that KT was one of the best post defender EVER, and still, when Dice was brought here, they said it was a very huge improvement for the team.

Even if they don't exactly have the same tools and role, i still see the Dice coming comparable as the KT one: a very solid big man, who used to be close to great, but near the end of his career. still very happy with Dice coming.
KT is a better post defender than McDyess. McDyess is better at everything else.

Tully365
07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
i don't know how this discussion turned to one about kurt thomas but he was one of the top post defenders in the league.

It was never a discussion about Thomas not being a good post defender. I think that's something we all agree on. The topic was whether RC Buford really thought he was the best post defender EVER, to which I simply replied that I doubt Buford would rate Thomas above Bill Russell or Hakeem Olajuwon.