PDA

View Full Version : Is Duncan going to finish out his career as a Center?

SequSpur
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Just wondering, because the Spurs can't get a player over 6' 10" worth a shit...

timvp
07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
He's been a center for four years, shortbus.

DAF86
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
How many Sequs do we need to make a 6'10'' guy?

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh, sweet irony.

SequSpur
07-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Really? He is listed as a Forward on NBA.com and has been picked as a Forward for each allstar game......... Stevie Wonder...

Solid D
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Really? He is listed as a Forward on NBA.com and has been picked as a Forward for each allstar game......... Stevie Wonder...

Perhaps you should re-word your question then, to "Is Duncan going to finish out his career listed as a Center?"

mookie2001
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
the c/pf debate is the most pointless and hackneyed basketball topic ever

Spursmania
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
How many drinks have you had?

Solid D
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
the SequSpur basketball topic is the most pointless and hackneyed basketball topic ever

Fixed

Bob Lanier
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
He started his career as one; why not?

waly.mg
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
How many Sequs do we need to make a 6'10'' guy?

De kien es el TOOR

SenorSpur
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I've never heard the reasons why TD doesn't like to be referenced to as a center?

Nathan Explosion
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM

The greatest Power Forward to ever play the game hasn't been a PF for 4 years now? I guess that takes away the title.

Irregardless of what the geniuses here at Spurstalk think, Duncan is listed as a PF and will remain so the rest of his career.

The real question should be, "Is there really a difference between the PF and C position in the Spurs system?"

The short answer, no.

Solid D
He started his career as one; why not?

David Robinson jumped center when Timmy was a rookie.

DAF86
De kien es el TOOR

Noelia una prosti de Trelew, no tiene pagina en internet. Necesitas el mail para conseguir fotos como estas jaja.

superbigtime
07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Irregardless of what the geniuses here at Spurstalk think, Duncan is listed as a PF and will remain so the rest of his career.

He's listed as a Center on spurs.com.

There is no such word as 'irregardless.'

SequSpur
07-15-2009, 06:12 PM
You guys make no sense. Solid D, suck my balls already. You know what I mean.

Hornets1
07-15-2009, 06:15 PM
He might. Obviously he will last longer if he moves back to PF, which is the position he is best at(all time that is).

Nathan Explosion
07-15-2009, 06:19 PM
On NBA.com he's listed as a PF. You know, that and he's considered the greatest PF of all time. If he's a center, how did he earn that title.

ir⋅re⋅gard⋅less  /ˌɪrɪˈgɑrdlɪs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ir-i-gahrd-lis] Show IPA
Use irregardless in a Sentence
–adverb Nonstandard. regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1910–15; ir- 2 (prob. after irrespective) + regardless

Usage note:
Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
Cite This Source |Link To irregardless
ir·re·gard·less (ĭr'ĭ-gärd'lĭs)
adv. Nonstandard
Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.]

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

irregardless

an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.

It is a word, just not a standard word. You see, there's something funny about the English language, it evolves over time to include new words as they are made up. Irregardless may have not been a word at one point in time, but has since become a word as a result of it's usage.

Now, back to the topic at hand, a basketball team has 5 positions, PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. However, in the Spurs system, there are only 3 positions, PG, Wing and Big Man. Duncan is a Big Man. Gino and RJ are wings.

So, in answer to the question at hand, Duncan is listed as a PF, always has been, always will be, hence the title of GOAT at the PF positon.

But in the Spurs system, it doesn't matter what his technical position is, just what space he occupies on the floor.

If you want to argue semantics, you lose. If you want to argue positioning, you lose. It doesn't matter what you genuises think, just what Tim Duncan thinks, and last time I checked, he fancies himself a PF.

/thread.

Fabbs
07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
1999 title with DRob at C
2003 ditto
2005 title with Man From Nazr at C
2007 Frankie Elson and Fabs faking as a C.

Since then its become priority to give Mike Finley minutes, not find another C.

Good thread, Sequ. :toast

45 bank shot
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Just wondering, because the Spurs can't get a player over 6' 10" worth a shit...

why are you even here? Weren't you the one who said that you wouldn't be back by Nov.?

:downspin: i guess you just slapped your face with your own schlong

Nathan Explosion
07-15-2009, 06:32 PM
He's listed as a Center on spurs.com.

You might want to check with spurs.com before speaking. If you type this in www.spurs.com, it transfers you to this http://www.nba.com/spurs/. Follow the roster link and it takes you to this http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/.

Now look at his positon.

Bob Lanier
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
David Robinson jumped center when Timmy was a rookie.
Josh Smith has jumped the opening tip for the Hawks on numerous occasions. That doesn't make him a center.

Admiral was a great defensive presence, but positions are largely defined in terms of their offense, and he was a KG/Dirk type with a small forward's game. Duncan is a pivot.

jag
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Were you on the Sheed-wagon?? Who do you propose the Spurs go after?

superbigtime
07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Guess my English teacher was wrong then. He will go to All Star game as a Center.

JamStone
07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Positions are blurred in the NBA. People get too enamored with labels and titles on positions. Is LeBron really a small forward when he initiates the offense 98% of the time and has much of the ball handling and play making responsibilities? Before the Shaq Trade, was Amare Stoudemire really a center shooting midrange jumpers and playing pick-and-pop with little to no low post, back-to-the-basket game on offense and far from a defensive anchor on defense?

In many ways, Tim Duncan has been a center for much of his career. He's a low post scorer the offense is built around and he's the defensive anchor that protects the paint. He's played with both centers and power forwards up front, but if you look at his game, his skill set, and how he plays, he's essentially a center. It's just a position title. He can be called a power forward. I don't think it's a big deal either way. But, for most of his career, I view him as a center. Even with David Robinson, Duncan played the center position on offense with D-Rob as the high man (traditionally the PF) in the high-low action. And, he shared center duties on defense pretty equally.

Call Duncan a power forward, that way he can be known as the "best power forward" in the history of the game. He certainly deserves a title like that, no matter what his real position is.

Edit add: I'd rather Duncan be known as the best PF ever than that douchebag Karl Malone.

mookie2001
07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Positions are blurred in the NBA. People get too enamored with labels and titles on positions
i thought anyone who knew jackstuff about basketball knew that, but there have been like 50,000 posts on spurstalk debating this non issue

ffadicted
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I've never heard the reasons why TD doesn't like to be referenced to as a center?

Because he wants to start in All Star games and the chinese won't let that happen if he's a center in the west.

He might not care this year I guess, cuz he'd be a sure-fire with Yao injured.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
It's the new NBA, most big men don't like to be referred to as centers, because they feel like it implies that they are limited in mobility and such..KG has said the same thing as Duncan, as have others IIRC..

mookie2001
07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
well not that new kgs been in the league for 15 years

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Ya, I didn't really mean it like that..the "newer" big men would never be considered Cs..

Steve-O-Matic
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
The Spurs don't have a PF and a C, they have a high post and low post.

Sigz
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm still very interested to know how MANY Sequ's it would take to get to 6 foot 10.

Hornets1
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
33 post and next to no answers. Way to stay on topic people. Some of you are so hell-bent on correcting others mistakes that you have forgotten to answer the question.

johnnyblues
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
i'm still very interested to know how many sequ's it would take to get to 6 foot 10.

7?

superbigtime
07-15-2009, 11:00 PM
You might want to check with spurs.com before speaking. If you type this in www.spurs.com (http://www.spurs.com), it transfers you to this http://www.nba.com/spurs/. Follow the roster link and it takes you to this http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/.

Now look at his positon.

Hmm. Damn. Me and my buddy at work were both talking about how he was listed as Center now. Guess it was before coffee.:yield

Solid D
07-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Josh Smith has jumped the opening tip for the Hawks on numerous occasions. That doesn't make him a center.

Admiral was a great defensive presence, but positions are largely defined in terms of their offense, and he was a KG/Dirk type with a small forward's game. Duncan is a pivot.

As we've discussed many times before, the 4 and 5 are basically interchangeable in the motion offense the Spurs so often use. I am old school so I use Center in the original sense in this lark of a thread. Center is short for Jump Center, which is what they called it early-on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0611/photo/a_spurs_i.jpg

On your point about Duncan being a pivot...of course he is and so was David. Duncan frequently plays like a classic pivot and he's built like it moreso than Robinson was, but that doesn't mean David was not a pivot. David played the 5 at 7'1" and was the primary pivot player for the Spurs for years. When Duncan entered the league and was part of SA's "Twin Towers", you had 2 pivots on the floor at the same time. With Perdue, they had the Triple Towers. Just because Robinson was more effective when he faced-up, doesn't mean he wasn't a pivot or Center. He was. He just had a lighter base than Ewing or Duckworth or Duncan or, later with Shaq in the league.

If you are a Spurs' fan, you can normally deduce who's playing the 5 by who inbounds the ball from the baseline after a made basket. The 4 normally inbounds the ball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0610/nba_g_robinson-duncan01_576.jpg

hsxvvd
07-16-2009, 04:46 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/allstar09.westjerseys/images/yao_jersey.jpg

urunobili
07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
As we've discussed many times before, the 4 and 5 are basically interchangeable in the motion offense the Spurs so often use. I am old school so I use Center in the original sense in this lark of a thread. Center is short for Jump Center, which is what they called it early-on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0611/photo/a_spurs_i.jpg

On your point about Duncan being a pivot...of course he is and so was David. Duncan frequently plays like a classic pivot and he's built like it moreso than Robinson was, but that doesn't mean David was not a pivot. David played the 5 at 7'1" and was the primary pivot player for the Spurs for years. When Duncan entered the league and was part of SA's "Twin Towers", you had 2 pivots on the floor at the same time. With Perdue, they had the Triple Towers. Just because Robinson was more effective when he faced-up, doesn't mean he wasn't a pivot or Center. He was. He just had a lighter base than Ewing or Duckworth or Duncan or, later with Shaq in the league.

If you are a Spurs' fan, you can normally deduce who's playing the 5 by who inbounds the ball from the baseline after a made basket. The 4 normally inbounds the ball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0610/nba_g_robinson-duncan01_576.jpg

Money in the bank... it can't be explained better than this...

PDXSpursFan
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
What's a center? In today's NBA there are only 3 positions:

1) Big man
2) Perimeter Player
3) Point Guard

Gino2882
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
This happens all the time guys. Duncan started as a PF (due to D-Rob) and of course was listed as a PF. He will always be a PF.

Even though the last couple years he has been forced to play a "center" role. This year with McDyess/Blair to bang inside Duncan will play a more regular PF role.

He will still be the anchor on D.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/allstar09.westjerseys/images/yao_jersey.jpg

Partially correct. You'd need a picture of Shaq up there too, but then it did all start with David Robinson.

FireDavidStern
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Can we stop this stupid assumption that centers need to be 6'10 or taller

HOFs listed as C or C/PF under 6'10

Ed Macauley (6'8)
Jerry Lucas (6'8)
Willis Reed (6'9)
Tom Heinsohn (6'7)
Bob Houbregs (6'8)
Neil Hohnston (6'8)
Dave Cowens (6'9)
Dan Issel (6'9)
Wes Unseld (6'7)
Arnie Risen (6'9)
Bob McAdoo (6'9)
Maurice Stocke (6'7)

Yes some of these guys played when the game was smaller and less athletic but it still proves that guys can be below 6'10 and play center. In fact if they are below 6'9 and play center chances are they are pretty good sense many tall guys are drafted because they are TALL. How many 7ft busts do we need to see before we realize that height is not everything. Seriously if you want a talented guy over 7ft tall then go out and acquire Darko or Kwame as they are 2 of the most talented 7fts in the league. I, on the other hand, am thrilled we got McDyess who has shown he can take his talent and bring it on the court with heart and get production, the two things those talented 7ft busts have never done.

VivaPopovich
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
prob. i do see blair filling in as pf but i dont ever see us landing another david robinson type

that man was one of a kind

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Yup.