PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Offensive reinforcement

Kori Ellis
04-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Offensive reinforcement: Robinson expected to score enough to help Spurs rest
Web Posted: 04/06/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040605.1C.BKNspurs.robinson.1ad10b855.html

The Spurs coaches gathered, as they do after each game, to eat and drink and hash over the team's problems when someone suggested they might want to give Glenn Robinson a call.

Tim Duncan was still on the injured list and Manu Ginobili looked spent. Devin Brown couldn't even stand up straight. The Spurs were laboring, at times, to score.

Don Newman, coach Gregg Popovich's newest assistant, knew Robinson from his days in Milwaukee. He recommended the Spurs bring him in for a workout.

After Robinson shot well and didn't appear too out of shape, the Spurs signed him Monday. Popovich didn't take long to explain why.

"He does something that's useful," Popovich said, "and that's put the ball in the hole."

Neither the Spurs nor Robinson know how their relationship will work out, but both seem eager to give it a try. After not playing a single regular-season NBA game in more than a year, Robinson was just happy to be back on the court Tuesday.

"I just want to go out and have some fun again, play basketball and have a smile on my face," Robinson said. "That's the type of atmosphere that's around here. I'm looking forward to being a part of it."

Robinson wasn't sure he was going to be a part of any team this season. He began the season in Philadelphia, but was placed on the injured list after Sixers coach Jim O'Brien made rookie Andre Iguodala the team's starting small forward.

Robinson briefly left the team to attend to his ailing mother. He asked for a trade, but the Sixers didn't oblige until Feb. 24 when they sent him to New Orleans for Rodney Rogers and Jamal Mashburn. The Hornets, who wanted Robinson because his contract expires at the end of the season, promptly waived him.

While Robinson had problems with O'Brien, Sixers officials told the Spurs he might be able to help the team.

"Philadelphia's over with," Robinson said. "It wasn't a good situation career-wise.

"I've been anxious, I've been down. I've been happy, I've been sad. A lot of things have gone through my head.

"But I'm here now and I have a uniform on. I'm ready."

In addition to repairing his image, Robinson knows his body also needs a little work. Though admittedly not in game shape, he has spent enough time on the treadmill to keep his weight down.

"I decided even if I didn't play this season, I was going to keep working out," Robinson said. "I'm 32 so if I get completely out of shape, I may never get back in it."

With six games over the next eight days, Robinson won't have much of an opportunity to practice. But Popovich plans to give him minutes somewhere along the way.

The Spurs aren't sure if Brown will be ready for the playoffs. Even if he does return, they could still use another true small forward.

Popovich also is concerned enough about Ginobili that he is considering not playing him in the second game of each of the team's three upcoming back-to-backs.

"If I do, I'm just going to lose the guy," Popovich said. "Not just because of his energy, but because his body is just going to break down."

The Spurs also intend to be careful with Robinson while working him back into shape. He participated in Tuesday's light practice, but knows the true test will come later in the week.

The Spurs have few questions about Robinson's ability to score. He has averaged 20.8 points over his career and his midrange shot — a lost art in the NBA — was good enough to make him a two-time All-Star.

As for Robinson's defense, Popovich politely said, "that's not his forte."

"We've had other guys who have been in the same boat," Popovich said. "The good thing is he's intelligent and understands the game, so I think he will be able to pick up the team concepts."

Said Robinson: "(Popovich) said if Danny Ferry caught on to the defensive schemes, I should be able to, too."

Had Brown not been injured, the Spurs probably would not have called Robinson. But given their current situation, they are hoping the reward outweighs the risk.

"We're just trying to hedge our bets a bit," Popovich said. "Glenn is obviously one of the best shooters and scorers who has been in the league in a while. We're giving him a shot to show us what he can do."

milkyway21
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
hey Kori! i like that picture of the Big Dog smiling while chatting with Pops!:D

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 01:54 AM
There you have it straight from Pop's mouth. All of you who think Manu isn't breaking down need to realize he's about to die.

Tek_XX
04-06-2005, 02:59 AM
They make it sound like Manus about to keel over. Is he just tired or what?

Kori Ellis
04-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Is he just tired or what?

Yes, just exhausted. A week ago, he was only doing like 1/3 of practice. Now today, even less. Now it looks like they are going to sit him in some games of the upcoming back to backs.

boutons
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
There's something medically wrong with Manu. There's no way a professional athlete playing 2.5 out 4 qtrs should be broken down. He said he did nothing between Athens and camp, and was feeling great, and started the season extremely strongly. And Manu recently got some mid-season rest with the groin injury.

I absolutely adore and respect Manu, but I really don't want to hear "we're gonna lose poor broken down Manu" for the rest of his career. He's not the only hustler in the NBA, but he's the only hustler who can't make through a season. WTF is going on?

timvp
04-06-2005, 05:22 AM
Nice question, boutons. Potential answers include:

1) He's tired. He's played basketball too much in the previous years and needs a full summer off.

2) He's injured. He has too many nagging injuries which are wearing on his body.

3) He's ill. He has some sort of disease that has sapped him of energy.

4) He isn't strong enough. Maybe he's too skinny and too weak to take the pounding.

5) He's playing too much. Maybe he's meant to be a 18-22 minute player off the bench.

6) He's really in his 40's. Maybe his Argentine passport was a fake.

7) He doesn't care. He's just trying to find a way out of practice or out of games so he makes up these excuses.

8) It's a CIA Pop move. He makes the rest of the league thinks he's tired and then pulls out the REAL Manu in the playoffs.

9) Bad hair products. Maybe he's using something in his hair that has a toxin in it that makes him tired easy.

10) It's his wife. Now that he's married, he's too excited consumating his relationship with his new wife that he doesn't sleep.

:drunk

The answer lies in one of those ten points.

zeleni
04-06-2005, 05:26 AM
There's something medically wrong with Manu. There's no way a professional athlete playing 2.5 out 4 qtrs should be broken down. He said he did nothing between Athens and camp, and was feeling great, and started the season extremely strongly. And Manu recently got some mid-season rest with the groin injury.

I absolutely adore and respect Manu, but I really don't want to hear "we're gonna lose poor broken down Manu" for the rest of his career. He's not the only hustler in the NBA, but he's the only hustler who can't make through a season. WTF is going on?

Europe has by far less phisical game for Manu, and is still quite demanding for a body. When your body is a body of an adrenaline junky as Manu is, then you can have a special worry. How can you know, when your leg died? Manu would play without stoppin', so coach take care of worrying. Europlayers are sometimes clothed in bubbles instead of being driven. Darko Milicic is a contrast of Manu. He hardly plays and is healthy without questions. WTF is going on? Top quality sport by our standards.

whottt
04-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Um, have any of you guys actually watched the beatings Manu gets a in a game?

Manu gets the crap knocked out of him....the reason other players don't get beat up like that is because there are very few of them that keep taking it into the paint after the opposing team has sent the message that they are going to get hammered...

Technically Manu was the victim of a couple of flagrant fouls just last week courtesy of a couple of 250lbers...One by James and I am pretty sure he got another one in the Laker Game...

Even Shaq respects how Manu takes it into the paint...

Manu takes a beating...and he's beat up because of it.

slayermin
04-06-2005, 05:36 AM

Manu gets the crap knocked out of him....the reason other players don't get beat up like that is because there are very few of them that keep taking it into the paint after the opposing team has sent the message that they are going to get hammered...

I'm not surprised at Pop's comments at all. Ginobili's motor keeps going and going. The only way Pop can control the punishment he takes is by sitting him down.

Phenomanul
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm not surprised at Pop's comments at all. Ginobili's motor keeps going and going. The only way Pop can control the punishment he takes is by sitting him down.

The Energizer brand should consider sponsoring Ginobili for their adds...

Phenomanul
04-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Oh wait.... that might be a tad too ironic considering Pop just hinted Manu would die....

Jimcs50
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Manu has no cruise control, he is pedal to the metal every minute. He really needs to pace himself and try to tone it down some to help the Spurs in the long term.

There are times that he is throwing his body around in games when we have it won already....I mean, that is when Pop needs to tell him to chill a little at those times.

BigVee
04-06-2005, 08:52 AM
For a guy who plays like he does, it is a natural maturation process. If he can add 10-15 lbs to his upper body this summer, he won't hit the floor on a lot of plays he does now. There are other players who play as hard as he does in spurts but Manu is unique...all out at both ends of the court, plus getting knocked on his ass 7-8 times a game. His schedule should be: LAC home, LAC away, Por home, Mem home. That is it until the playoffs. That gives him game, two days, game, two days, game, 3 days, game, 1 week. If he isn't refreshed by then....

Spurminator
04-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Manu needs to work out with Allen Iverson this summer.

waly.mg
04-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Can Pop use Manu as Scott Skiles use Ben Gordon?

Only for play in the 4th quarter

Probaly in the back to back games Manu can star a few minutes in the 1st Quarter and Play in the 4th only if is necessary

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Not one damn Argentinian post in here. Big suprise.

Not that it matters, but in my book...

Slovenians > Argentinians

Athenea
04-06-2005, 10:00 AM

Who gives a f*ck of what u think!!

There u go...I give u your Argentinean post :angel

PS: your avatar talks volume of u :spin

waly.mg
04-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Argentinians are Olympic Champions and 2nd in the World Cup, and the solvenians?

Argentinians > Slovenians

Have the Slovenians a National Team?

Hook Dem
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM

Technically Manu was the victim of a couple of flagrant fouls just last week courtesy of a couple of 250lbers...One by James and I am pretty sure he got another one in the Laker Game...

Even Shaq respects how Manu takes it into the paint...

Manu takes a beating...and he's beat up because of it.
At least, someone gets it!!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I beat you to it.

Who gives a f*ck of what u think!!

Your inability to read speaks volumes about you.

Athenea
04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
I beat you to it.

Your inability to read speaks volumes about you.

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/3685/mannyblood5xu.jpg

Useruser666
04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Now he has no fingers! :wow

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Now I understand how the Brit's got the Falklands back.

Athenea
04-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Classy quote from a very classy (and original) guy :lol .
manny=http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsletter/cheese-top.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Slovenians > ArgentiniansHey genius, how many Argentinians have you met in person? Its sad really because I like every Slovenian in this forum, they're awesome people, and then comes this insignificant spec of human trash and creates tension between us. Seriously don't pay any attention to Manny, God only knows why he posted that, and it really doesn't matter. Slovenia is fine in my book, and I won't venture to say either country is better. Suffice to say we both have great basketball players. Athenea don't get all riled up because of the comments of one idiot, I'm sure Slovenian's don't think the same way as Manny, then again, most people don't.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Nice comment you insensitive MORON!! That's like someone telling an American "Now I understand how you managed to loose Vietnam" PERSONALLY I'd take offense at either. I had you pegged as a rational person, but after this thread you're just an asshole.

grjr
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Manny starts WW3.

Guru of Nothing
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM

It does appear this site is experiencing technical difficulties with logins.

Currently Active Users = 52 (3 members & 49 guests)

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Nice comment you insensitive MORON!! That's like someone telling an American "Now I understand how you managed to loose Vietnam" PERSONALLY I'd take offense at either. I had you pegged as a rational person, but after this thread you're just an asshole.

:jack is what I think of that.

Personally, I wouldn't offense at either, color me thick skined.

Generaly speaking, the Argentinians on this board get flustered anytime someone says that Manu is less than Superman. I was just yanking your chain a bit, but it seems as though the chain is a bit short.

I am an asshole, and if it took you this long to figure it out then I really understand how the Brits won.

By the way, being an ass and being rational are not mutualy exclusive.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
By the way, being an ass and being rational are not mutualy exclusive.
They are in your case

zeleni
04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Have the Slovenians a National Team?

Sometimes I also wonder the same thing.. :depressed . So I cannot be really offended about something like that. Anyhow we have a great deal of our folk in Argentina (emigrants after the WW II.), so may be we have a player in your national team. I should check. Someday I will. :angel

Trajan Langdon, Eurostar that is being owned by american press has also Slovenian roots. So nothing is quite that certain. :spin

But still.. Fully prepaired Slovenian NT kicks ass to any team. Now we only have to have the patience to someday see it. Rasho would kill in a better organized enviroment. :drunk

RobinsontoDuncan
04-06-2005, 04:02 PM
mutaly exclusive, have you ever been on a debate team Manny? Just curious because I am a debate coach and that is debate jargon for Counter-plan theory.

Anyway I hope everyone realizes that Manny was only joking, go back and read athena's posts she wasn't really taking him seriously either.

ManuMania..... you really need to take a chill pill, ok, you go thermo-nuclear everytime someone posts something you either disagree with or misinterprate.

1) take a moment an think about what the person is saying, because many time like this one, people are being sarcastic.

2) you dont have to blow up if you still think the other poster is saying something you dont like, try joking around or being sarcasttic, they are usually very efficent means of responding without making you look stupid.

and trust me, when you do this in every single thread you read, you look stupid.

Now as far as the manu stuff Manny said, it's true, people call out Rasho and Beno all the time and there aren't 50 slovenian posters who come to raise holy hell about it. Just calm down man, he wasnt being serious.

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Never been on a debate team, though I should have been on one in high school.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2005, 04:09 PM
RtD, I'm not going to even start with you man. You're a hypocrit if I ever saw one. Plus I don't care if Manny was j/k, in the future he should refrain from making insensitive statements like "Now I understand how the Brit's got the Falklands back". Either way this is a stupid argument, and I'm going to be the bigger man and shut up before we get owned again by Kori. Say what you will, I've made my point.

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, I'd use other examples, but my Argentinian history needs work and I don't know what other wars your country started and lost. :)

smeagol
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Manny, it was a prety ignorant comment. Specially if there are Argentine posters who lost a loved one in that pathetic war.

Your comment was as stupid and insensitive as me saying:

"You yankees had it coming and deserved what happened in 9/11"

Hope you reconsider what you said and appologize.

Although, I have little hope that you do.

MannyIsGod
04-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm not going to start apologizing because of a joke now, or never. If my comment really offended someone, then I suggest the develop thicker skin or use the ignore function for my posts.

Give me a damn break.

Kori Ellis
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Enough.