PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2 for 1 trade

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Does anyone here really think the Spurs could get back anything significant for a Finley/ Bonner package?

Significant as in, getting a player back in return worthy of breaking a possible 8 man rotation come playoff time getting 20 plus minutes?

Many seem tied up in the Finley/ Bonner trade scenario and try to justify their trade value worthy enough to bring in a ( Stephen Jackson, Raja Bell, Andres Nocioni, James Posey ect.)

I personally think in order for us to improve our 8-9 man rotation (or our team come playoff time) we will more than likely have to include Mason instead of Finley, due to the age and value factor in the two trading assets.

Many people seem to believe we would lose a lot by getting rid of Mason. I disagree and believe including Mason for Finley is the only way to improve our rotation ( 1-9).

Here's some reasoning :

- With the addition of a healthy Manu Ginobili and prolific scorer in his own right Richard Jefferson, Mason's opportunities will be cut drastically.

Yes many fans have pointed out Mason's shooting will be missed. With Finley back it won't be missed as much as you may think. Yes Mason had a great one dribble pull up on his pick and roll opportunities early in the season, when the defense was lazy or went under the screen nonchalantly. Hate to burst your Mason bubble, but those screen and roll opportunities won't be there next year.

- Mason will be used to spot up from three when Tim/ Parker/ Manu/ RJ are creating. Finley or trading for Bell, Nocioni,Posey can do that people. Mason won't be seeing anywhere close to the 30.4 mpg he got last year with RJ and Manu taking up 60 minutes that were available last year.

Not to mention Pop stating earlier in the off-season that Hill will get more time at the 2-spot. And don't forget Michael Finley either. Finley will get some run.

All this leads me to thinking, will Mason's shooting really be missed if his minutes were to be cut by 40 % ?? Something to think about.

I don't believe giving up Mason would be as detrimental to the Spurs as some may think, not only because of the PT and opportunity factor, but also by his liability on the defensive end ( one of the worst, if not the worst perimeter defender on the team last year.) This was one of the reason's Pop chose to go with Bowen and Hill against the Mavs since Mason's shot wasn't falling and he couldn't do anything else to help the team.

All in all, Spurs might think the best time to get anything significant for Bonner/ Mason is now. Given the fact that their opportunities will be decreased, and therefore their trade value may fall. Or they simply might not have plans to resign them after this season. Since the Spurs will more than likely be giving Manu an extension next year, would we be able to pony up 6 million per year for Mason too next year? I doubt it.

And since we gave Haislip a 2 year deal and with Splitter maybe on his way in 2010, would Spurs be willing to give out another 10 million contract to Bonner? I doubt it.

Just something to think about..

kobyz
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Finley is better than Mason

ElNono
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Mason is young. He has upside. He can learn new tricks.
Finley is done. Bonner simply sucks.
The biggest reason to move Finley and Bonner is so Pop doesn't get tempted to give them any significant playing time. It's more about moving them OUT, than what do we get back IN.

SequSpur
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Mason is bad ass. He is the reason the Spurs made the playoffs last year....shit..how many games did he win?

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Mason is bad ass. He is the reason the Spurs made the playoffs last year....shit..how many games did he win?

There are many factors that contribute to a DUB. Not one player. Mason hit some big shots in the regular season. That isn't the point of the thread.

ffadicted
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Screw this plan, money mace is as good of a backup 2 as we're gonna find.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 08:20 PM

He is not 6'10 and he shrunk in the playoffs. Shhh.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Screw this plan, money mace is as good of a backup 2 as we're gonna find.

What is Mason's role going to be this year? What does he do best and what is his weakness?

Explain how he is not expendable and what attributes does he bring to the table that can't be replicated?

vander
07-15-2009, 08:25 PM
another day, another asinine trade Finley+Bonner thread...

:rolleyes :sleep

Bonner is valuable to this team, if anything he's underpaid compared to most of the league

kobyz
07-15-2009, 08:26 PM
my dream roster will be:
trade Bonner+Mason for Nocioni, bring back Bruce, sign Blair and the youngs Hairston and Williams

Parker/Hill/Williams
Ginobili/Bowen/Finley
Jefferson/Nocioni/Hairston
McDyess/Blair/Haislip
Duncan/Mahinmi

Danny.Zhu
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
If we can resign Mason with about 2.5m something for the next 2-3 seasons, I say don't trade him. Otherwise, please do.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Those opposed to anything may be jumping the gun a little bit. I'm not saying I'd get rid of Mason for chips and salsa. All I'm trying to say is I'd get rid of Mason in favor of Stephen Jackson/ Bell/ Camby/ Nocioni. And that including Mason may be the only realistic way of attaining one of the players.

spursbird
07-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Why do you guys wanna trade Mason so much? He shoot 3pt very well, and can dribble well. And most important, he has a HUGE HEART. He would be a damn good backup SG. And I believe no other team would trade for him.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Why do you guys wanna trade Mason so much? He shoot 3pt very well, and can dribble well. And most important, he has a HUGE HEART. He would be a damn good backup SG. And I believe no other team would trade for him.

You wouldn't include Mason in a trade for Jax/ Nocioni/ Bell or Camby?

spurspokesman
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Agree partially sequ. I believe we would of made the playoffs without him. But forget about the seeding being in the top 4. He won the most critical games for us to get us that close seeding and grab homecourt which did nothing for us anyway.:bang Without him. 7th or 8th in that tight conference last year.

spursbird
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
You wouldn't include Mason in a trade for Jax/ Nocioni/ Bell or Camby?
Those teams' FO are not so stupid. They will not trade the players you listed until Spurs packaged with one of the Big 5.

kobyz
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Mason is young. He has upside. He can learn new tricks.
Finley is done. Bonner simply sucks.
The biggest reason to move Finley and Bonner is so Pop doesn't get tempted to give them any significant playing time. It's more about moving them OUT, than what do we get back IN.

even in his age Finley does more than Mason, Mason disappeared two years in a row in the playoff

spurspokesman
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Mason is the guy you want taking the final shot for you. Not against you.he stays.

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Those teams' FO are not so stupid. They will not trade the players you listed until Spurs packaged with one of the Big 5.

But they would agree to a trade for Finley/ Bonner? Like many suggest?

Mason/ Bonner and a 1st can get probably 2 of those players listed.

Finley/ Bonner more likely than not.

And you didn't answer my question about Mason.

Not to mention have you ever heard of Chris Wallace, Elgin Baylor, Chris Mullin? Just to name a few GM's that have made (blunder after blunder via trades/ free agent signings)

kobyz
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Mason is the guy you want taking the final shot for you. Not against you.he stays.

and Finley is not clutch? i will pass on the good regular season shooter - Mason cause he doesn't do anything else and he is choke in the playoff.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Those opposed to anything may be jumping the gun a little bit. I'm not saying I'd get rid of Mason for chips and salsa. All I'm trying to say is I'd get rid of Mason in favor of Stephen Jackson/ Bell/ Camby/ Nocioni. And that including Mason may be the only realistic way of attaining one of the players.

Great and very thoughtful thread, Manu4Tres.

I agree. I certainly would not trade Mason for just anything or anyone, but if Mason was main role player that netted Capt. Jack/Bell/Camby/Nocioni, then the Spurs would have to do that trade.

You are correct about the fact that, barring some freakish string of injuries, Mason's total production could go WAY down this year, because of the talent the Spurs have. He will be hard pressed to duplicate his late game heroics, as he might not even be in the game this year as games wind down.

However, I think the area he may do almost all of his damage is STARTING. For a great shooter, starting with Parker, RJ, Duncan, and Dice will be huge for him I think. He will get open or semi-open looks that he ABSOLUTELY DID NOT GET LAST YEAR. Being the only pure shooter on the floor, I think he will get most (and possibly even all, but not likely) of his production with the starters.

As such, I'd would in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM trade Mason for ANYONE that is not a instant impact player, like Camby/Jack/Bell/or Nocioni.

spursbird
07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
And you didn't answer my question about Mason.

I'd only include Mason in the trade for Nocioni or Bell. Jax not possible. No need for Camby.
But I've got a question: If we trade away Mason, Finley and Bonner, who can shoot the open 3pt for us?

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I'd only include Mason in the trade for Nocioni or Bell. Jax not possible. No need for Camby.
But I've got a question: If we trade away Mason and Bonner, who can shoot the open 3pt for us?

Fixed.

1) Manu Ginobili
2) Richard Jefferson
3) Michael Finley
4) Bogans/ Barnes/ Bowen ( whoever we would bring in for the LLE or min.)
5) Hill is capable
6) Haislip shot 42 percent from 3. Therefore is capable. Then again he more than likely will be playing only mop up duty so he's irrelevant.

You can add : Bell/ Nocioni to that list if we traded for a wing.

Spurtacus
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Finley and Bonner are here to stay...until the trading deadline at least. I believe they can chip in but only limited minutes off the bench.

Da Spurs
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
my dream roster will be:
trade Bonner+Mason for Nocioni, bring back Bruce, sign Blair and the youngs Hairston and Williams

We've already signed the youngsters. You're 60% done.

Knoxxx
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
The issue that troubles me most is positioning relative to the salary cap along with the need to resign Manu. Even if we package Finley/Bonner/Mason for a single $10 million player that is worth that much, we just can't afford to have too many of those type of salaries on the roster. We already have Jefferson's $15 million on the books for 2010. Another $10 million salary player and I think we'd have to kiss Manu goodbye. If Manu comes back strong, we stand a chance to reach a mutually beneficial contract extension that lets him retire a Spur and he should be more than willing to structure the contract the most beneficial (within reason) way to meet the team's salary cap needs in the coming years.

So the big barrier here is why would anyone give up a valuable player unless they could salary dump on us? The only way I see it happening is if they can fill out their roster with what they perceive as quality veteran players at reasonable salaries. Not impossible, but not highly likely either. Even taking on a $6-7 million player for just Finley/Bonner creates significant salary cap issues if the incoming contract is not also an expiring one, from where I sit.

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 02:06 AM

he wont be hittin shit against the spurs when GHILL will defend him, or the spurs are in front by 20pts in a b lowout win

thOOdee
07-16-2009, 02:06 AM
keep fin dog...he is longer and better on the defense end

spurspokesman
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
he wont be hittin shit against the spurs when GHILL will defend him, or the spurs are in front by 20pts in a b lowout win

He only need a lick of daylight and i'd put my money on him. spur or not.:lol
George hill is a beast on d but it wont count when rog finds an opening off a screen. But george can really lock him down as a whole I agree.

MaNu4Tres
11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
There is still some hope.....

For a big guy hopefully

rayray2k8
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
You know what, you bring up an interesting point. The spurs look good right now, but they definitely need some size...
Hope down the line we find a Nazr during the middle of the season.

JustinJDW
11-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Don't trade Bonner. Finley can be traded, but not Bonner.

rayray2k8
11-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Don't trade Bonner. Finley can be traded, but not Bonner.

IF the Bonner from the last two games continues to play this way, then fine, it's a long season anyway.
But, the spurs NEED size for the lakers/celtics/magic/blazers and so on of the league.
Blair and Mcdyess are nice and having Ratliff helps, but we need a solid Center for the post season.
There's no getting around it.

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM
we lacking one more big player imo.....

BaumSquad
11-12-2009, 01:07 AM
to all the people who want nocioni
Have yall ever watch the guy play? BLACK HOLE. i dont think there is another player in the league that passes less once he gets the ball, including maggette. no thank you. i would much rather have finley and bonner coming off the bench and playing TEAM basketball