PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2 for 1 trade

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Does anyone here really think the Spurs could get back anything significant for a Finley/ Bonner package?

Significant as in, getting a player back in return worthy of breaking a possible 8 man rotation come playoff time getting 20 plus minutes?

Many seem tied up in the Finley/ Bonner trade scenario and try to justify their trade value worthy enough to bring in a ( Stephen Jackson, Raja Bell, Marcus Camby, Andres Nocioni, ect.)

I agree Spurs could probably get back a Jeff Foster in return for a Finley/ Bonner package if they were to include a pick. But will trading a pick along with Finley/ Bonner be worthy enough to bring in a big that will get 10-12 minutes? That may be something to think about.

I personally think in order for us to improve our 8-9 man rotation (or our team come playoff time) we will more than likely have to include Mason instead of Finley, due to the age and value factor in the two trading assets.

Many people seem to believe we would lose a lot by getting rid of Mason. I disagree and believe including Mason for Finley is the only way to improve our rotation ( 1-9). ( Who cares about improving the 10th-12th men on the roster).

Here's some reasoning:

- With the addition of a healthy Manu Ginobili and prolific scorer in his own right Richard Jefferson, Mason's opportunities will be cut drastically.
Yes many fans have pointed out Mason's shooting will be missed. With Finley back it won't be missed as much as you may think. Yes Mason had a great one dribble pull up on his pick and roll opportunities early in the season, when the defense was lazy or went under the screen nonchalantly. Hate to burst your Mason bubble, but those screen and roll opportunities won't be there next year.

- Mason will be used to spot up from three when Tim/ Parker/ Manu/ RJ are creating. Finley or trading for Bell, Nocioni can do that people. Mason won't be seeing anywhere close to the 30.4 mpg he got last year with RJ and Manu taking up 60 minutes that were available last year. Not to mention Pop stating earlier in the off-season that Hill will get more time at the 2-spot. And don't forget Michael Finley either. Finley will get some run. All this leads me to thinking, will Mason's shooting really be missed if his minutes were to be cut by 40 % ?? I think not.

Especially if the Spurs then turn around ( given they include Mason for a trade for Camby or another significant big) and use the LLE to try to bring in a wing as in Bogans/ Barnes/ Kleiza or even bring Bowen back for the minimum.

I don't believe giving up Mason would be as detrimental to the Spurs as some may think, not only because of the PT and opportunity factor, but also by his liability on the defensive end ( one of the worst, if not the worst perimeter defender on the team last year.) This was one of the reason's Pop chose to go with Bowen and Hill against the Mavs since Mason's shot wasn't falling and he couldn't do anything else to help the team.

All in all, Spurs might think the best time to get anything significant for Bonner/ Mason is now. Given the fact that their opportunities will be decreased, and therefore their trade value may fall. Or they simply might not have plans to resign them after this season. Since the Spurs will more than likely be giving Manu an extension next year, would we be able to pony up 6 million per year for Mason too next year? I doubt it. And since we gave Haislip a 2 year deal and with Splitter maybe on his way in 2010, would Spurs be willing to give out another 10 million contract to Bonner? I doubt it.

Just something to think about..