PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Listening to Dad

Kori Ellis
04-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Listening to Dad: Danny Ferry is putting lessons learned from his father to good use as he treads a similar path
Web Posted: 04/06/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040605.7C.BKNspurs.ferry.1ac4b2074.html

More than a quarter century later, the story can finally be told. Ask George Gervin what really happened the Night the Lights Went Out in Washington — when a mysterious 15-minute power failure at Capital Centre helped rob the Spurs of their first trip to the NBA Finals — and he'll say this:

Danny Ferry flipped the switch.

Twelve-year-old Danny Ferry.

Ferry, whose father, Bob, was the Bullets' longtime general manager, pleads innocent, though it's evident he's picked up a few tricks of the trade from his old man.

As the Spurs' director of basketball operations the past two seasons, Ferry has scouted players from Sioux Falls, S.D., to Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro. He's assisted in contract negotiations. Last season, he helped design a nutritional program for the team.

After punctuating his 13-year NBA playing career with a championship in 2003, Ferry has immersed himself in the franchise's front-office operations. In doing so, he has followed the career path of his father, who played 10 seasons in the league before working for the Bullets from 1963-90.

"Just from being around my dad, basketball has been something I've loved and it's what I know best," Ferry said. "I'm very fortunate to be able to step right into the situation I have."

Under the guidance of executive vice president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford, the Spurs have assembled a diverse management team that ranks among the most successful in professional sports. Ferry, Lance Blanks, the team's director of scouting, and Sam Presti, the director of player personnel, have played a big role in everything from the draft to trade talks.

Ferry has used his co-workers as resources while learning the nuances of the league's collective bargaining agreement. Like Blanks, he has lent a player's perspective to the group. He still considers many of his former teammates, including Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, friends.

"The local trust he has with our players helps a lot," Buford said. "I think it gives us a great insight as we evaluate what's happening on our team to have somebody who went through these battles with them."

Ferry has had a good teacher in his transition from athlete to executive. His father helped build Washington's championship team of 1978. Four years later, he was named the NBA's executive of the year.

As a child, Ferry tagged along to the Bullets' practices with his dad. When Bob scouted games at Maryland or Georgetown, Danny often sat on his lap, listening as his dad critiqued a player's shooting form or post moves.

These days, Danny breaks down game film at home with his oldest daughter. Though he considers his heavy travel schedule a "necessary evil," he has taken his wife, Tiffany, and their four daughters — Hannah, Grace, Sophia and Lucy — on a couple of scouting trips.

"I know firsthand I can be a great dad and do this job," Danny said. "My dad was able to do both."

In addition to learning at the knee of his father, Danny also has benefited from playing for a couple of the game's great coaches: Morgan Wootten at Maryland's DeMatha High School and Mike Krzyzewski at Duke.

"People always talked about players who play the right way," Danny said. "But whether it's the Spurs or Duke or DeMatha or my time in Cleveland, those were organizations that worked to do things the right way. Each was a rich situation for me."

Danny, Buford said, may soon attract attention from other teams interested in hiring a general manager, especially if the Spurs continue their success.

"I have a great situation here," Danny said. "Would I probably enjoy the challenge of being a general manager some day? Yes. But I'm not in a rush."

Danny knows the value of working for a championship organization, remembering the Bullets' title celebration and the jubilation it brought.

"Those were great times for my family," he said.

That included the 1979 Eastern Conference finals against the Spurs. After trailing 3-1, the Bullets came back to tie the series and force a Game 7 in Washington.

The Spurs led comfortably when the Capital Centre lights suddenly went dark. The game resumed 15 minutes later, but the delay was long enough to kill their momentum.

Washington won 107-105 and advanced to the NBA Finals.

More than a few of the Spurs thought the power outage wasn't accidental. A couple of years ago, Ferry jokingly told Gervin he was responsible. The story has been repeated enough times that some now believe it true.

"It wasn't me," Ferry said. "And if my dad had anything to do with it, he's still not saying."