PDA

View Full Version : Why does Mahanmi suck so bad?

50 cent
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
When are we just going to admit that he is a bust?

I'm so sick of seeing people post depth charts where he's the starter or even a solid backup.

Blair is already 10x the player Mahinmi is.

Don't get me wrong, I really wish he would pan out, but at some point, I think we just have to realize that he's probably never going to be better than a guy that commits 34 fouls in 22 minutes of summer league or the NBDL and just puts up some nice looking stats because he is more athletic and bigger than everyone else.

Does anybody else feel this way? I know he's been injury ridden but I'm just starting to feel pessimistic that's he's never going to put it all together health-wise and mentally.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
rofl.

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Jessica Biel>Elisha Curthbert>Lindsay Logan

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I want two Spurs as well if this is the going market rate :lol j/k

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
rofl.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
He can't be sent to D League this year. So, I guess after this season with the Spurs, you can write him off as a bust if he is busting. As of now, you can't say much. Up until summer league, he hadn't played a real game in about a year. And don't think too much about him getting 10 fouls in a summer league game. Most of the summer league refs are pretty horrible (some don't even know all the rules).

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Spurs fans are ready to write off a 22 year old athletic bigman as a "bust" despite being the best big in the NBDL a year ago and the only reason he didn't make the rotation being his injury. Go ahead. We'll let you pretend you didn't post this come January.

Thompson
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
We'll let you pretend you didn't post this come January.

No we won't.

poeticism707
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM

I'm so sick of seeing people post depth charts where he's the starter or even a solid backup.

Don't get me wrong, I really wish he would pan out, but at some point, I think we just have to realize that he's probably never going to be better than a guy that commits 34 fouls in 22 minutes of summer league or the NBDL and just puts up some nice looking stats because he is more athletic and bigger than everyone else.

Does anybody else feel this way? I know he's been injury ridden but I'm just starting to feel pessimistic that's he's never going to put it all together health-wise and mentally.

Wow friend.

Did you happen to see him in the last two SL games, the last one especially?!?

Ian is going to be a solid contributor for the Spurs, AT THE LEAST.

But he has the potential to be so much more.

2pac
07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
He can't be sent to D League this year. So, I guess after this season with the Spurs, you can write him off as a bust if he is busting. As of now, you can't say much.
Can't say much? He was a fucking first round pick four years ago.

And in those four years he has scored 21 points and ripped 5 boards from the clutch of the other team's scrubs.

Alfredrick Hughes had a better career than Ian Mahinmi has.

Good thing we didn't waste that pick on some stiff honkey American like David Lee.

4RINGS
07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Ian > Bynum

Knoxxx
07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I want to see him in the real NBA, with real NBA refs, and some serious mentoring from Dice, TD, and Pop. After a season of that, we should have a better idea what we have in "Yan." Right now I just don't know, but the number of fouls he is getting called for is nothing short of ridiculous, I would agree with that. They can't all be the refs fault!

50 cent
07-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Spurs fans are ready to write off a 22 year old athletic bigman as a "bust" despite being the best big in the NBDL a year ago and the only reason he didn't make the rotation being his injury. Go ahead. We'll let you pretend you didn't post this come January.
I really hope you are right. I will gladly eat my crow if he becomes a force this season.

It would be great if I were wrong.

Tully365
07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
:lol 2Pac and 50 Cent both dislike Mahinmi... there goes Ian's street cred in the hiphop world.

honestfool84
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Megan Fox>>>Jessica Biel>Elisha Curthbert>Lindsay Logan

50 cent
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
This is my point - it seems like every year was "going to be the year that Ian breaks out".

Good thing we didn't waste that pick on some stiff honkey American like David Lee.
Why would we want a contributer like David Lee when we can have a 5 year project that has great potential?

I guess this really is the year that makes or breaks him since he isn't NBDL eligible.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't think the point is about right or wrong, it is about principle. Odds are in your favor that he won't work out (look at his draft position and the statistics of who makes rosters, even though he is already on the Spurs roster).

It is such a small investment and low risk that why would you cut ties now? Give him time on an NBA court then make your judgments. It just makes no basketball sense to do anything with regards to Ian right now unless it concerns giving him time to see if he sinks or swims.

nbaman99
07-15-2009, 10:46 PM
this just prove that some of u r not really basketball fans. if u r, u will give all the players a chance to prove them selfs in a real game. i rather see a player give all they got at a real game than injuring them selfs trying to play hard in sl game. so wait until the regular season to post thread like this please.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 10:47 PM

And in those four years he has scored 21 points and ripped 5 boards from the clutch of the other team's scrubs.

You expected him to be NBA-ready when he was drafted. The Spurs didn't. They drafted him knowing that he wouldn't likely be on an NBA court until he was about 21-22. So, yeah by your expectations he's a bust.. because you expected production when the Spurs expected development.

timvp
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Where's Biggie?

Year 1 - Played in France
Year 2 - All-NBDL first team center, leading the team to the Finals. Best big in the league at age 20
Year 3 - Injured

What exactly has happened to create this emo take among Spurs fans?

Was he the best pick in hindsight? No. Is he a bust? Possibly. Do we know one way or another? No.

DPG21920
This is my point - it seems like every year was "going to be the year that Ian breaks out".

Why would we want a contributer like David Lee when we can have a 5 year project that has great potential?

I guess this really is the year that makes or breaks him since he isn't NBDL eligible.

Ian is only 22. The fact that he was drafted very young and did not go to college is not his fault. Judge him like you would a college senior. Would you be this impatient then? Probably not.

No one is saying Ian was the steal of the draft. In hindsight, the Spurs would have picked a Lee or someone else. But they did not. Cutting ties now would compound the mistake imo.

2pac
I think we learned from being stupid and taking Mahinmi over David Lee, which is why we took Blair this year instead of some stupid project that will stay in Europe for half a decade, and either 1. sucking 2. nearly killing themselves or 3 being traded to our rival to save a few bucks then blossoming into a solid contributer.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Well people were hoping that would have been this past season (I don't think anyone thought he was ready the years prior). But injuries happen. And since no one saw the floating matter in his ankle until many months after his injury, then that obviously delayed his surgery/progress/healing/ability to be on the court.

timvp
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I think we learned from being stupid and taking Mahinmi over David Lee, which is why we took Blair this year instead of some stupid project that will stay in Europe for half a decade, and either 1. sucking 2. nearly killing themselves or 3 being traded to our rival to save a few bucks then blossoming into a solid contributer.

Then I guess drafting Mahinmi was a success even if he doesn't pan out.

Good thinking.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
It's amusing that a 28th pick could even be considered a "bust." Spurs fans are quite spoiled.

Anyways, the Spurs drafted Mahinmi when he was 12 years old, so lighten up. As far as the Spurs are concerned, he progressed in France for 2 years after he was drafted, joined them two years ago when there was still a logjam in the bigman rotation, and proceeded to tear up the D league. The Spurs had him slated to join the rotation last season but his injury derailed that.

I guess since the Spurs drafted him 4 years ago there's some angst, but there's not really much reason to label him a "bust," unless you're drunk.

scottspurs
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Potential, Potential, Potential. You have to let it play out. He is 22 years old and he shows tons of potential. You have to be patient with a kid like that. He is 6'11' and he is very athletic. You just can't give up on that. Especially when he is not costing the spurs that much money. You have to let him develop and get stronger. If he still doesn't produce when he's lets say, 25/26 then you can say he is bust. Bust may not even be the right word because how many late first rounders ever produce. Give Ian some time. Patience. If he can get 15-20 minutes a game this year and average 6 pts, 5 rbs, and .5 blks I would not be suprised and I would be loving his development.

50 cent
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
It is such a small investment and low risk that why would you cut ties now? Give him time on an NBA court then make your judgments. It just makes no basketball sense to do anything with regards to Ian right now unless it concerns giving him time to see if he sinks or swims.
I certainly am not wanting to cut ties with him at this point unless we can get something of nice value for him. I am just concerned about whether or not he can be a contributer in a spot we have to have a contributer.

This is certainly not about money or giving him his opportunity - it's that we have to have somebody succeed at filling that role this year and I don't know if we can count on Ian.

superbigtime
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
We'll find out THIS SEASON whether or not Ian is a bust. Can't call it right now. To this point, he hasn't been a success or a failure.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM

In 2007 he did exactly what was expected of him and played well in the D-league, averaging 18/8. In 2008 he was all set to play then had two nasty injuries, one of which was misdiagnosed and cause him to miss the season. What exactly hasn't he done that was asked of him?

He knows 2009 is make or break, but it's far too early to write him off.

Comparing him to David Lee is horseshit - 29 other teams missed him too. :rolleyes

Give the kid a freakin break.

2pac
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
You expected him to be NBA-ready when he was drafted. The Spurs didn't. They drafted him knowing that he wouldn't likely be on an NBA court until he was about 21-22. So, yeah by your expectations he's a bust.. because you expected production when the Spurs expected development.

Kori, don't tell me what I did or did not expect. I will tell you that.

That's fine he is a project. The Spurs have needed help in the post since 2003, and they have gone through Rasho the Weak, Nazr, Bonner, KT, Drew Gooden, Fabri, Elson, Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely, Robert Horry, and Kevin Willis trying to get Duncan Post help. And instead of taking Lee - a guy who could have helped almost immediately, they took a guy project that has given them 1/17th as many points and 1/23rd as many rebounds as Alfredrick Hughes.

He is a project that hasn't panned out. I hope that changes. But he can be labelled a bust until he does something to change that label. Averaging 5 points and 1 rebound a year since you were drafted = bust.

Sense
07-15-2009, 10:57 PM

You fail to realize that is not Elisha Curthbert...

FAIL.

antimvp
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
because we want so bad for David Robinson to come back we hope against hope.

antimvp
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
IAN WATCH OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.....and get the lead out.

KF8jkYPc9ug&feature=related

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I do not think the Spurs FO is counting on Ian to contribute as much as you are eluding to 50. They have McDyess, Bonner and a slew of other projects such as Blair, Haislip...There are always trades to be made and FA's that shake loose. Spurs still have their LLE to spend as well.

elbamba
07-15-2009, 11:09 PM
22 year old athletic centers are hard to come by. It would be a pitty to write him off because he had some injuries last year.

Maybe he does great, maybe he doesn't. Makes no sense to write him off now.

50 cent
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I do not think the Spurs FO is counting on Ian to contribute as much as you are eluding to 50. They have McDyess, Bonner and a slew of other projects such as Blair, Haislip...There are always trades to be made and FA's that shake loose. Spurs still have their LLE to spend as well.
That is precisely my concern. The only thing we can count on with Bonner is that his nuts will shrivel up into his chest the closer we get to May.

After McDyess, we are counting on "a slew of projects."

A 34 year old, a guy that commits about 4 fouls a minute in summer league, and a slew of projects to surround Duncan.

That doesn't sound ideal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Kori, don't tell me what I did or did not expect. I will tell you that.

That's fine he is a project. The Spurs have needed help in the post since 2003, and they have gone through Rasho the Weak, Nazr, Bonner, KT, Drew Gooden, Fabri, Elson, Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely, Robert Horry, and Kevin Willis trying to get Duncan Post help. And instead of taking Lee - a guy who could have helped almost immediately, they took a guy project that has given them 1/17th as many points and 1/23rd as many rebounds as Alfredrick Hughes.
So then blame the FO, not the player.

He is a project that hasn't panned out. I hope that changes. But he can be labelled a bust until he does something to change that label. Averaging 5 points and 1 rebound a year since you were drafted = bust.
Again, it's about development. Putting up his NBA stats when he's been in Europe and Austin still trying to get him game together, then getting severly injured, is dumb.

Interrohater
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
What's I'm wondering is what draft boards would have Ian at right now if he entered the draft from playing overseas. I bet they'd have him pretty high up there. Would you be making the same gripes if he was drafted by the Spurs in the first round this year? (of course, assuming we had a first round pick) That would mean that you haven't been sitting around waiting for him to develop and instead of being upset, you'd be excited to see his potential, just like Blair.

Also, last year was the only year that Ian was supposed to "break out".

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
That is precisely my concern. The only thing we can count on with Bonner is that his nuts will shrivel up into his chest the closer we get to May.

After McDyess, we are counting on "a slew of projects."

A 34 year old, a guy that commits about 4 fouls a minute in summer league, and a slew of projects to surround Duncan.

That doesn't sound ideal.

That is always going to happen with young players. But Bonner helped this team last year minus RJ and healthy Gino to 3rd in the west. You put McDyess in there to sure up those problems and it looks pretty good.

You cannot have it all. The Spurs needed RJ and a decent big. They got that. Now they just need a very simple defensive minded big to be the third or fourth big in the rotation. There is still money to spend and trades to be made, I fail to see the connection with Ian? Why not blame Blair or put the pressure on him?

ChumpDumper
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
emo take

galvatron3000
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM

When will you stop making rap CD's and when will your group stop living off your name. Why do you not like the Knicks anyway, let the Spurs fans have our team without any outside support, we love when you guys hate us like Duke haters. It let's us know we are the epitome of the NBA. Oops, I thought you were Curtis Jackson, sorry. :repost:

Vito Corleone
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
A lot of people are going to be eating crow when it comes to Ian, the kid can play he just needs to stay healthy.

timvp
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
I liked the 50 cent and 2pac collaboration in that other thread about Lamar Odom. This thread was poorly executed.

Five out of ten stars.

galvatron3000
07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
I liked the 50 cent and 2pac collaboration in that other thread about Lamar Odom. This thread was poorly executed.

Five out of ten stars.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:rollin:blah

200 miles
07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Best Case: The Admiral

Worst Case: Francisco Elson

'Nuff said.

Flavor Flav
07-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Nothing better than two honkeys using black hip hop artist handles talking bout basketball

all that's missing now is the ultimate honkey aggiehoopsfan to chime in like his on the down low mates

2pac
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Five out of ten stars.

Listen to the Rappers. Buss hardballed his players, and they are leaving.

Who said that first? Who was laughed at for saying it? Who is having the last laugh now? :nope

2pac
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Nothing better than two honkeys using black hip hop artist handles talking bout basketball

all that's missing now is the ultimate honkey aggiehoopsfan to chime in like his on the down low mates

I'm African-American. :ihit

Vito Corleone
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
haha considering this is San Antonio we're talking about I'm guessing Flavor Flav is a vato

angelbelow
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM

I agree 100%

50 cent
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Five out of ten stars.

I know who 2pac is, but we have never met IRL. I think we both got kicked off a SR around the same time and I signed up as 50 cent, so he signed up as 2pac. We do chat occasionally about random basketball topics.

We didn't collaborate to come up with any idea to post a thread. I posted something, he later added something else that he thought of.

Isn't that what we do here?

Flavor Flav
07-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm African-American. :ihit

sure thing mr honkey soccer

timvp
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I know who 2pac is, but we have never met IRL. I think we both got kicked off a SR around the same time and I signed up as 50 cent, so he signed up as 2pac. We do chat occasionally about randomly about basketball.

We didn't collaborate to come up with any idea to post a thread. I posted something, he later added something else that he thought of.

Isn't that what we do here?

I wasn't criticizing the method of attack. The topic, though, has been rehashed to the point it wasn't going to have Lamar Odoem type success.

Interrohater
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Listen to the Rappers. Buss hardballed his players, and they are leaving.

Who said that first? Who was laughed at for saying it? Who is having the last laugh now? :nope
Are you actually laughing? ur little smiley guy isn't laughing. :lol mine is. Also, how can we tell which is the last laugh? this could go on forever! How ridiculous!

TheProfessor
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
He was a 28th pick. The percentages on getting even a rotation player at that point in the draft are very low. And plenty of other teams apparently didn't see David Lee developing like he has, either. You can't make all the right picks every draft. That said, I think we can evaluate Mahinmi's "bust" status at the conclusion of this year - it's make or break with the lux tax implications for keeping him around.

bishopospurs
07-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Ian looked real good yesterday running the floor, it was nice to see a guy as big as him move on the floor. He is obviously much taller than everyone else on video. I agree we are hoping that David walks through the door, but David was 24 when he first came out of the tunnel donning a spurs jersey. I doubt Ian ends up like David. He didn't seem to have a very killer instinct yesterday. He grabs an O board then puts up this weak lay up. It would be nice to see a two handed tomahawk throw down. At the very least I think he is going to contribute this year. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember Elson being anywhere near as athletic as Ian.

jag

Do you understand the concept of a player being a "bust?" He was the 28th pick in the draft.

Players that are picked that late in the draft and end up being solid NBA contributors are the exception...not the rule.

Ian was drafted to be a project player and you're calling him a bust ......because he's a developing project player.

50 cent
I wasn't criticizing the method of attack. The topic, though, has been rehashed to the point it wasn't going to have Lamar Odoem type success.
Nor did I intend for it to have that much "success".

In fact, I'm a little suprised at the rate of responses.

This Ian thing is just something that has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to see if others felt the same way or if I was off base. It seems to be a little of both.

TheProfessor
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
It's a little slow in the sports world these days...

raspsa
07-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Injuries aside, I wonder if the Spurs ever considered hiring Ian a big man tutor like LA did in having Kareem mentor Bynum? He does seem to have the potential. Maybe if he does make the team and signs a long-term deal, they could consider some one-on-one tutoring. DRob would be great but he probably couldn't spare the time. maybe Hakeem is available?

Interrohater
07-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Nor did I intend for it to have that much "success".

This Ian thing is just something that has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to see if others felt the same way or if I was off base. It seems to be a little of both.
:lol a little of both he says! There's like two dudes here that agree with u. And one is ur brother!

ducks
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Injuries aside, I wonder if the Spurs ever considered hiring Ian a big man tutor like LA did in having Kareem mentor Bynum? He does seem to have the potential. Maybe if he does make the team and signs a long-term deal, they could consider some one-on-one tutoring. DRob would be great but he probably couldn't spare the time. maybe Hakeem is available?

dude they got duncan
maybe they could pay david robinson also to tutor

50 cent
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM

What type of success did the Odom thread have? I don't know if I ever came back to the topic.

jag
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
why not..

eOm7-f76h0s

2pac
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Do you understand the concept of a player being a "bust?" He was the 28th pick in the draft.

Players that are picked that late in the draft and end up being solid NBA contributors are the exception...not the rule.

Ian was drafted to be a project player and you're calling him a bust ......because he's a developing project player.

I very well understand what a bust is. It is a failure. The opposite would be a success.

And over that project, we have 4 years in and we have reaped zero rewards from those four years. He has been a failure of a project. He has produced nothing but some nice DLeague numbers.

Here are all the DLeague Award winners:
ost Valuable Player
2001–2002 Ansu Sesay, Greenville Groove
2002–2003 Devin Brown, Fayetteville Patriots
2003–2004 Tierre Brown, Charleston Lowgators
2004–2005 Matt Carroll, Roanoke Dazzle
2005–2006 Marcus Fizer, Austin Toros
2006–2007 Randy Livingston, Idaho Stampede
2007–2008 Kasib Powell, Sioux Falls Skyforce
2008–2009 Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
[edit]All-Star Game MVP
2006–2007 Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Fort Worth Flyers
2007–2008 Jeremy Richardson Fort Wayne Mad Ants
2008–2009 Blake Ahearn, Dakota Wizards and Courtney Sims, Iowa Energy
[edit]Rookie of the Year
2001–2002 Fred House, North Charleston Lowgators
2002–2003 Devin Brown, Fayetteville Patriots
2003–2004 Desmond Penigar, Asheville Altitude
2004–2005 James Thomas, Roanoke Dazzle
2005–2006 Will Bynum, Roanoke Dazzle
2006–2007 Louis Amundson, Colorado 14ers
2007–2008 Blake Ahearn, Dakota Wizards
2008–2009 Othyus Jeffers, Iowa Energy
[edit]Defensive Player of the Year
2001–2002 Jeff Myers, Greenville Groove
2002–2003 Mikki Moore, Roanoke Dazzle
2003–2004 Karim Shabazz, Charleston Lowgators
2004–2005 Derrick Zimmerman, Columbus Riverdragons
2005–2006 Derrick Zimmerman, Austin Toros
2006–2007 Renaldo Major, Dakota Wizards
2007–2008 Mouhamed Sene, Idaho Stampede and Stephane Lasme, Los Angeles D-Fenders
2008–2009 Brent Petway, Idaho Stampede
[edit]Impact Player of the Year
2007–2008 Morris Almond, Utah Flash
2008–2009 Eddie Gill, Colorado 14ers

Not a lot of rotation players in there, is there?

Ian Mahinmi has not been a success by any stretch of the imagination. His project has reap zilch. That is a failure. Or a bust if you prefer.

I don't know where you draw the line for production between bust and success over the first four years of a low first round pick's career, but I would assume that even the last pick of the first round should be counted onto score at least 6 points and grab two rebounds per year after he is drafted.

But again, I want Ian to succeed more than anyone. We need him.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
That is not fair, because even though most of the award winners are not full on rotation players, there have been a nice handful of rotation players who spent time in the D-League.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
This thread is a bigger failure than Ian.

50 cent
07-16-2009, 12:09 AM
That is not fair, because even though most of the award winners are not full on rotation players, there have been a nice handful of rotation players who spent time in the D-League.

Those stats do beg the question though: Does the NBDL even do anything to help NBA players take the step to contributing in the real NBA?

We haven't seen it yet. :depressed

ChumpDumper
07-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Except we have. One just needs to look.

sabar
07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I very well understand what a bust is. It is a failure. The opposite would be a success.

And over that project, we have 4 years in and we have reaped zero rewards from those four years. He has been a failure of a project. He has produced nothing but some nice DLeague numbers.

blah blah blah

Almost every player drafted outside the lottery is a bust. Big deal. Even a big chunk of lotto talent end up being busts.

Not to mention he isn't a bust yet.

Also, no one knew Lee was going to be great, so just stuff the 20/20 hindsight talk. All the draft reports from that time period show that he had major weaknesses, nothing guaranteed, just another prospect.

jag
I very well understand what a bust is.

No you dont.

DPG21920
Those stats do beg the question though: Does the NBDL even do anything to help NBA players take the step to contributing in the real NBA?

We haven't seen it yet. :depressed

Yes it does. I can name plenty of players who are doing well in the NBA. It might not have produced franchise players, but that is not the point and you would be foolish to expect this.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2009, 12:11 AM

:lol

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 12:11 AM

LMAO, I almost spit on my screen.

raspsa
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
dude they got duncan
maybe they could pay david robinson also to tutor

Duncan can't devote the one-on-one time that would be needed to tutor Ian. Almost everyone seems to agree on his "potential" and maybe this is the way to force him to really focus.. build up not only his game but his work ethic and overall attitude as well.

Tully365
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
If Mahinmi has even 80% of the success of Kelenna Azubuike (different position, but another D league alum), he will help the Spurs significantly...

2pac
07-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Almost every player drafted outside the lottery is a bust. Big deal. Even a big chunk of lotto talent end up being busts.

Not to mention he isn't a bust yet.

Also, no one knew Lee was going to be great, so just stuff the 20/20 hindsight talk. All the draft reports from that time period show that he had major weaknesses, nothing guaranteed, just another prospect.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/David-Lee-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2752/

Sounds like David Lee was a perfect fit for the Spurs. Athletic. Smart. Decent at multiple facets. But needs better coaching.

jag
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
As the 28th pick in the 1996 draft, Priest Lauderdale was considered a major bust.

In retrospect, the Spurs have made many mistakes during the draft. 5 years later, i'm great at highlighting where they went wrong.

ducks
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/David-Lee-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2752/

Sounds like David Lee was a perfect fit for the Spurs. Athletic. Smart. Decent at multiple facets. But needs better coaching.

Easily frustrated if things aren't going his way
that does not sound like a spur player

2pac
07-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Easily frustrated if things aren't going his way
that does not sound like a spur player

Sounds like anyone who has been coached by Isiah Thomas.

EricB
07-16-2009, 12:54 AM

The guy was an end of the first round pick.

You clusterfucks act like he's a lottery pick.

Spurtacus
07-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Mahinmi is 22. Give it some damn time.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 02:14 AM
I don't get some people on here. They act like Mahinmi was a top 10 pick that's now 27 years old and hasn't done shit.

The guy is 22, late first rounder, left overseas for a while, was a D-League All Star and led the Toros to the finals, and then had an injury that made him sit out a year, which was a year where Pop had all intentions of giving Ian enough minutes to earn a spot in the rotation.

For those of you saying he's a bust, and for those of you writing him off, you're crazy.

buttsR4rebounding
07-16-2009, 02:41 AM
I really hope you are right. I will gladly eat my crow if he becomes a force this season.

It would be great if I were wrong.

Recipe for Stuffed Crow

1. Pluck all feathers from the crow placing them in a plastic bag so you can play Cowboys and Indians during football season.
2. Take a generous amount of ground goat and shove it up the crow's now bare ass.
3. Mix 2 tbsp of cayenne pepper, 3 tbsp of sea salt scraped from the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina, and 6 ounces of habenero juice in a small bowl until blended.
4. Rub mixture over bird making sure to stick your finger up the crow's ass to get a little on the goat.
5. Without washing your hands chop an onion until your eyes water, then rub them. Throw onions out.
6. Bake crow at 500 degrees for 2 hours until it is as burned as your post.

Bon Appetite!!!

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't get some people on here. They act like Mahinmi was a top 10 pick that's now 27 years old and hasn't done shit.

The guy is 22, late first rounder, left overseas for a while, was a D-League All Star and led the Toros to the finals, and then had an injury that made him sit out a year, which was a year where Pop had all intentions of giving Ian enough minutes to earn a spot in the rotation.

For those of you saying he's a bust, and for those of you writing him off, you're crazy.

Agree.Ian's problem is that he's been massively overhyped and overrated, we've seen people suggesting to start him, feed him 30 mins in the NBA, people expecting him to generate near all star numbers, etc. Someone even mentioned his ceiling being David Robinson...

Truth is, he's a late 1st round pick, still a project, with limited upside. If he has a Francisco Elson-like career he'd be a success as a 28th pick. And using Lee being picked later to make a point is totally ridiculous.

johngateswhiteley
07-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Truth is, he's a late 1st round pick, still a project, with limited upside. If he has a Francisco Elson-like career he'd be a success as a 28th pick. And using Lee being picked later to make a point is totally ridiculous.

agree about the Lee comparison. however, the elson comparison is ridiculous, imo. he'll be a success, as an above average defender averaging 8 pts and 6 boards.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 03:37 AM
damn, what a hater

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2009, 04:46 AM
agree about the Lee comparison. however, the elson comparison is ridiculous, imo. he'll be a success, as an above average defender averaging 8 pts and 6 boards.

I'd be pleasantly surprised and extremely happy if Mahinmi becomes a solid 8 and 6 contributor and I'm not discounting the possibily of it, what I meant comparing him to Elson was that a late first round pick who can stick in the NBA for a while, like Elson, cannot be considered a bust, but some people are extremely harsh on the kid because of their own baseless overhyped expectations.

rascal
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
The guy has several things you cant teach.........6-11, can run, jump, block shots. He is looking like he has developed a good midrange jumper and is smooth at the foul line.

Lets remember, he missed the last 6 months with foot injury, hes 22 and he was picked bottom of the first round. He will play a role for us this year and yes he will need to learn to play D without fouling but that will come with experiance.

In 2 years I expect this guy to avg 15ppg 8rpg and 2bl If he does that the spurs can chalk up another great draft pick plucked from the bottom of the basket that just needed time to develop.

Does he play with passion and fire? Blair has those things on him and makes Blairs upside far greater.

I expect he won't be with the team in two years or be a deep end of the bench type of player. 15 ppg and 8 rpg he will never see that.

Muser
07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I find it funny how after one, yes ONE summer league game Blair is already better than Ian, i'll wait until they play NBA ball until I rate them higher.

oligarchy
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Did Ian go number 1?

He went 28th.

oligarchy
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Eight-Rules-for-Draft-Night-Success-Let-History-Guide-2934/

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Mahinmi is definitely a project, but not a bust. His career so far reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal. If O'Neal had started out when there was a D League, my guess is that his first couple years would have been spent there too.

For comparison sake, a look back at Jermaine O'Neal's career:

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1996-97 18 POR NBA 45 0 10.2 1.5 3.4 .451 0.0 0.0 .000 1.0 1.7 .603 0.9 1.9 2.8 0.2 0.0 0.6 0.6 1.0 4.1
1997-98 19 POR NBA 60 9 13.5 1.9 3.9 .485 0.0 0.0 .000 0.8 1.5 .506 1.3 2.0 3.4 0.3 0.3 1.0 0.9 1.7 4.5
1998-99 20 POR NBA 35 1 8.9 1.0 2.4 .434 0.0 0.0 .000 0.5 1.0 .514 1.2 1.6 2.8 0.4 0.1 0.4 0.4 1.2 2.6
1999-00 21 POR NBA 70 8 12.3 1.5 3.2 .486 0.0 0.0 .000 0.8 1.4 .582 1.4 1.9 3.3 0.3 0.2 0.8 0.7 1.8 3.9
2000-01 22 IND NBA 81 80 32.6 5.0 10.7 .465 0.0 0.1 .000 2.9 4.8 .601 3.1 6.7 9.8 1.2 0.6 2.8 2.0 3.5 12.9
2001-02 23 IND NBA 72 72 37.6 7.5 15.7 .479 0.0 0.2 .071 3.9 5.7 .688 2.6 7.9 10.5 1.6 0.6 2.3 2.4 3.7 19.0
2002-03 24 IND NBA 77 76 37.2 7.9 16.4 .484 0.1 0.3 .333 4.8 6.6 .731 2.6 7.7 10.3 2.0 0.9 2.3 2.3 3.6 20.8
2003-04 25 IND NBA 78 78 35.7 7.8 17.9 .434 0.0 0.2 .111 4.5 5.9 .757 2.5 7.5 10.0 2.1 0.8 2.6 2.3 3.2 20.1
2004-05 26 IND NBA 44 41 34.8 8.8 19.4 .452 0.0 0.1 .167 6.7 8.9 .754 1.9 6.9 8.8 1.9 0.6 2.0 3.0 3.9 24.3
2005-06 27 IND NBA 51 47 35.3 7.5 15.8 .472 0.1 0.2 .300 5.1 7.2 .709 2.0 7.3 9.3 2.6 0.5 2.3 3.0 3.5 20.1
2006-07 28 IND NBA 69 69 35.6 7.2 16.5 .436 0.0 0.1 .000 5.0 6.5 .767 2.2 7.4 9.6 2.4 0.7 2.6 2.9 3.4 19.4
2007-08 29 IND NBA 42 34 28.7 5.4 12.2 .439 0.0 0.1 .000 2.9 3.9 .742 2.0 4.8 6.7 2.2 0.5 2.1 2.5 3.1 13.6
2008-09 30 TOT NBA 68 61 29.8 5.4 11.3 .474 0.0 0.0 .000 2.6 3.3 .788 1.9 4.5 6.4 1.8 0.4 2.0 2.1 3.1 13.3
2008-09 30 TOR NBA 41 34 29.7 5.4 11.3 .473 0.0 0.0 .000 2.8 3.5 .810 1.7 5.3 7.0 1.6 0.4 2.0 2.2 3.2 13.5
2008-09 30 MIA NBA 27 27 30.0 5.4 11.3 .475 0.0 0.0 2.2 3.0 .750 2.0 3.3 5.4 2.0 0.4 2.0 1.9 3.0 13.0
Career NBA 792 576 28.4 5.5 11.9 .461 0.0 0.1 .152 3.3 4.6 .710 2.1 5.5 7.6 1.5 0.5 1.9 2.0 2.9 14.3

Jermaine's 5th year, when he was 22 is when he finally started to see the court on a regular basis, and it was his 6th year that he became a really impactful player. I think Ian has similar potential. Way too early to call him a bust.

robert1886
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
People just need to get off his ass already....we drafted him young and at the end of the first round....o and he still young!!!...he still has PLENTY OF UPSIDE! and he hasnt had chance to play in the nba yet due to his injury last year so just sit back and let him have his chance to show what he can do this year then you can start to judge

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Agree.Ian's problem is that he's been massively overhyped and overrated, we've seen people suggesting to start him, feed him 30 mins in the NBA, people expecting him to generate near all star numbers, etc. Someone even mentioned his ceiling being David Robinson...

:guffaw

symple19
07-16-2009, 03:15 PM

I agree completely. I lol every time I see another post about how much they like this guy. Sometimes Spurs fans just put the blinders on, stick their fingers in their ears and start yelling NANANANANANANA. This guy is a bum people, get over him.

TIMMYD!
07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Damn the way Lindsay Lohan's tits are bouncing in the thread beginning is awesome. I just want to motorboat them all night long.

FireDavidStern
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think Mahanmi is a bust but people are wrong by saying if he is an 8 and 6 guy he will have fit where he was drafted. That is true but the Spurs drafted him as a project player 4-5 years down the line. His production better get to the 14 and 8 with over a block to make it worthwhile as a draft pick. The spurs could have taken someone who could play immediately and either bust out and have the spurs cut loses or become a rotation player. The Spurs could have had a rotation player for 4 years now and that is what Mahinmi needs to replace

D-ROB 50
07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
you know he had 16 boards last game?

Macca76
07-16-2009, 04:06 PM

I agree completely. I lol every time I see another post about how much they like this guy. Sometimes Spurs fans just put the blinders on, stick their fingers in their ears and start yelling NANANANANANANA. This guy is a bum people, get over him.

Between being positively but carefully confident, which seems to be the position of many posters on this board, and call him a Bust whereas he hasn't played yet a complete NBA game, I think we can safely say that you are clearly overreacting in a strange way.

In the last few years, did The spurs have a promising, cheap, young big prospect ?

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Elisha Cuthbert> Jessica Biel>Megan Fox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Lindsay Lohan

symple19
07-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Elisha Cuthbert> Jessica Biel>Megan Fox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Lindsay Lohan
Yeah, but Lindsay gets extra credit for being a rug-muncher:blah

thOOdee
07-17-2009, 03:44 AM
reminds me of thabeat

le13
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Ah la la la la....................

Hard to be a Spurs Fan sometimes!! :downspin:

Could be nice to kick some ass :ihit

This guy got injured last year and never play an NBA game.. and you call him a bust.. :ihit

As a fan you should wait before saying any stupidy and at least trust him and be confident on him until his 30 first games in NBA..

bigbendbruisebrother
07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Ian > Bynum

At speaking French, yes.

jag
07-20-2009, 12:22 AM
* ahem *

Spursmania
07-20-2009, 12:26 AM
What were you saying?

EricB
07-20-2009, 01:13 AM
oops....

Spursfan092120
07-20-2009, 01:19 AM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2493/ashamed2pl.jpg

GSH
07-20-2009, 02:26 AM
I was getting pretty down on Mahinmi, too. But after seeing him in the SL, that's kind of ridiculous. He's basically the same age as Thabeet, which means that he could have easily been playing in college this past season. If the Ian Mahinmi we saw in SL was playing against college kids, he would be kicking asses and taking names.

I had to stop and think about that. A lot of players need that third and fourth year of college ball to strengthen their game. There's no shame in that. The ones that need it and don't get it really struggle in the NBA, at least for a couple of years. I can hear Barkley now, "Lemme tell yuh, Kinny. He needit to stay in college and learn how tuh play tha game."

So Mahinmi wasn't ready for the NBA the minute we drafted him. Not many recent high school graduates are - and that's how old he was. And right now, he's the equivalent of a recently-graduated college senior. If he had just come out of a college program, and we were seeing him for the first time, we'd all be saying, "Hey, this kid might be able to contribute this year." And we'd all be happy that a fresh-out-of-college big man could possibly make the roster and maybe put up 8 and 6, and block a few shots.

It shouldn't matter whether he's been honing his game in college, or in Europe and the D-League. Remember how old his is, rather than looking at how long ago we drafted him. And then remember those young guys running around, and past, Fab last season. I think we have good reason to be hopeful about him.

dmac
07-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Most of the league refs are pretty horrible (some don't even know all the rules).

there you go, fixed.

:downspin:

Muser
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Instant fail for naming yourelf after that POS 50 Cent, then more fail for Ian outplaying the number 2 pick.

:downspin:

50 cent
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
*ahem*

DBMethos
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Hard to prove yourself one way or another while riding the pine in formal wear.

Whisky Dog
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Because he's a lazy douche with zero bball iq. Or he's great but he never gets to show it.

mogrovejo
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Educated guess: Mahinmi is going to sign with an East Coast team next off-season.

bigbendbruisebrother
11-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Educated guess: Mahinmi is going to sign with an East Coast team next off-season.

He's got Raptor or Bobcat written all over him.

spursnatic
11-13-2009, 09:10 PM
How the fuck is he suppost to show what he can do, when he never gets a chance to play?...Some people are just retarded with the shit they post?...

wildbill2u
11-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Dude, that's the unkindest remark I've ever seen about Manhinmi--or anyone else for that matter--on this site.

You are that cruel Dude that they made a song about.

You have a nasty reputation as a cruel dude
You said Ian was clueless said he was crude
Not one thing in common
But we're both seein' red
Some say he's a starter
but the lights are turning red.

Spurs in the fast lane
Surely make you lose your mind
Spurs in the fast lane

50 cent
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, I guess we can consider him to have been a total bust at this point - at least for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:14 AM
He was the second the Spurs declined his option. They didn't even bother to try to get any use from him. At least they didn't pay a bunch of money to trade him away like they did with Beno. Let's hope his change of scenery is as ineffectual as Beno's has been.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
A real pity. I think he'll develop into a really nice rotation player if given 20-24 regular minutes a game, and it annoys me that Dallas will probably reap the rewards.

I was very surprised when the Spurs declined Mahinmi's option before last season, because the moment the FO did that he was gone - we could have had him dirt cheap for another year, giving him more time to develop. I would have signed his option, and then played him a lot early to rest Dice and Tim for later in the season and post-season.

I think this is a practice we should adopt - play the youngsters early in the season (for the first 2-3 months) to rest the vets' (esp. Tim, Manu, Dice) legs. Most teams are in disarray for the first 4-6 weeks of the season, and that would be a great time to blood our youngsters whilst using the vets sparingly. In other words, it's time we started using the true 15-man depth of the roster in a strategic sense across the entire season.

We are essentially a rebuilding team right now, at the same time as we are still trying to contend. It is time we realised that our older players don't need to play all 82 games (imagine how fresh their legs will be at the end if they've only played 60-65!).

Also, go and take a look at the rosters of the other teams around the league. The whole NBA is currently in a transition phase - many of the stalwart players of the last 15 years have disappeared and the league is now on average very young, inexperienced and athletic. How about we give our young crop of athletes experience early in the season when other teams are weak, and help rest our old blokes at the same time? Makes sense to me.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Well, I guess we can consider him to have been a total bust at this point - at least for the Spurs.

He never had the opportunity to play. Most players need time out there to develop. Last year he had a ridiculous PER (21.6!)*, admittedly in only 165 minutes (a very small sample size), and whenever I saw him play I thought he was pretty good (excellent against Houston).

So, no, not a bust, a premature ejection** by the Spurs organisation.

I reckon Spurs fans will be bitching about losing Mahinmi in 2 years.

*http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2010.html
**no, not elaculation you sex-minded pervet, EJECTION. Not everything is orgasm-related. :lmao

G-Dawgg
07-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Thank god Dallas officially signed him..hopfully these stupid Mahinmi threads can finally be laid to rest.... but isn't 2million a bit much to pay somebody who's that retarded?

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:53 AM
I reckon Spurs fans will be bitching about losing Mahinmi in 2 years.

Yeah, I have a feeling there will be a lot of "I said they were stupid to let him go" threads from people who aren't actually saying anything right now.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I have a feeling there will be a lot of "I said they were stupid to let him go" threads from people who aren't actually saying anything right now.

Oh yeah, totally. A lot of that happens on here, especially from noobs and bandwagoners. :lol

2pac
07-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Reading back through this thread made me sad. For you guys.

Austin_Toros
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Chances are that many will eventually realise what spurs are giving up here. Mahinmi still has not been able to find luck to show some results.

lotr1trekkie
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Signed by Cuban. Done!

venitian navigator
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
The only thing we cannot say now is that he's a bust...we can say it's a f.o. bust (time, draft choice, lost for nothing).

And ther's the real risk of a "scola 2" failure by our F.O.
We'll see...but one thing is for surely difficult to explain :the fact that despite the more than decent production in the limited minutes he played, the Spurs didn't give him any chance to show he deserved more playing time... this behavior was, imho, understandable only for the (not so fair) goal of signing him for a cheap deal, hiding his real value as a player.

But now, we finally know that wasn't the reason...

So, I repeat, for me, that's difficult to understand...also 'cause it was absolutely clear last season that we needed height, youth, athleticism, rebounding and shot blocking at the four/five...all of them supposed to be Mahinmi qualities.
These are needs we (hope) to have (at least partially) solved only this season, and only with the Splitter signing.
On the other and, last season the spurs preferred to play our (play off - chocker ?) "stratching four"...

nkdlunch
07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
reminds me of when Mavs signed Gooden las year...

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 10:19 AM
After gifting Scola to an in-state rival, the appeal to the authority of the front office as the font of basketball wisdom, or at least as a wise, unquestionable authority on player/personnel management of a NBA franchise, falls flat. It is quite possible that the Spurs (both front office & coaching staff) screwed up with Mahinmi, and now another franchise will reap the benefits.

The Truth #6
07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
The whole thing is a mystery to me. Why draft him with a first round pick and then not even play him? It seems like they squandered resources either way depending on what one's interpretation is of him - either by drafting him if he sucked so bad, or by not playing him when he showed potential.

I suppose there are benefits to Pop's stubborness but this clearly seems like a weakness in regards to dealing with most young players.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
A big problem for Mahinmi is that he was injured at the time the frontcourt was wide open and Pop would have been forced to give him regular minutes. His Spur career would have been quite different.

Brazil
07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
The only thing we cannot say now is that he's a bust...we can say it's a f.o. bust (time, draft choice, lost for nothing).

And ther's the real risk of a "scola 2" failure by our F.O.
We'll see...but one thing is for surely difficult to explain :the fact that despite the more than decent production in the limited minutes he played, the Spurs didn't give him any chance to show he deserved more playing time... this behavior was, imho, understandable only for the (not so fair) goal of signing him for a cheap deal, hiding his real value as a player.

But now, we finally know that wasn't the reason...

So, I repeat, for me, that's difficult to understand...also 'cause it was absolutely clear last season that we needed height, youth, athleticism, rebounding and shot blocking at the four/five...all of them supposed to be Mahinmi qualities.
These are needs we (hope) to have (at least partially) solved only this season, and only with the Splitter signing.
On the other and, last season the spurs preferred to play our (play off - chocker ?) "stratching four"...

Ian cannot shoot the 3, don't try to rationalize too much. Pop loves matt and hates Ian cauz he cannot shoot the 3 thats all

K-State Spur
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
reminds me of when Mavs signed Gooden las year...

+1. if bonner/mahimni are still our biggest worries in a couple months - we'll be set for a great season.

venitian navigator
07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Ian cannot shoot the 3, don't try to rationalize too much. Pop loves matt and hates Ian cauz he cannot shoot the 3 thats all

Ian has never been supposed or drafted for being the "stretching four"... so imho it's not me trying to rationalize too much but you trying to semplify too much...when ther's nothing simple or logical in the behavior that Spurs mantained with Mahinmi.
Giving him playing time was worth, at least, to show him to other teams and have something of value to trade before the trade deadline ...
so, also if the decision to "cut " him was already been taken, at least, given his production in limited time, more playing time made some sense...

smrattler
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
What, no multiple choice answers to choose from in this thread?

Seemed like a way to go...

Baseline
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM

I've met Jessie Biel, and strangley enough, she's not that hot in person. You'd walk right past her without turning your head. Very nice girl, though.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Cant believe we've developed a player for four years for another team

PDXSpursFan
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Mahinmi is an athlete, not a basketball player</thread>

My Fault
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Lol at people calling this Scola2. Ian never proved anything close to Scola overseas nor in the NBA.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2010, 01:51 PM

If that's actually true, then it's the biggest FO blunder in recent memory. The Spurs won zero titles with Robert Horry playing center.

Brazil
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Ian has never been supposed or drafted for being the "stretching four"... so imho it's not me trying to rationalize too much but you trying to semplify too much...when ther's nothing simple or logical in the behavior that Spurs mantained with Mahinmi.
Giving him playing time was worth, at least, to show him to other teams and have something of value to trade before the trade deadline ...
so, also if the decision to "cut " him was already been taken, at least, given his production in limited time, more playing time made some sense...

I should have used the blue