PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, SpursTalk!!!

bugmenot
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Most users ever online was 6,993, Today at 05:23 PM. :wow

4RINGS
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Nothing else going on in sports. The dead zone... except on SpursTalk where the fun never ends.:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Cry Havoc
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM

What caused that? Did an article get linked from another site, or something?

BlackSwordsMan
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
the richard jefferson is gay thread

Libri
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Was there a free give a away or something?

celldweller
07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
My wife has Twitter, Facebook, etc. I have SpursTalk!

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
What caused that? Did an article get linked from another site, or something?

I believe it's mostly coming from Google image search. Since NY Post or whoever broke the news that RJ called off his wedding, many people are searching for pictures of RJ/the girl and that's leading them to one of the SpursTalk threads about his signing. This thread - http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129380

50 cent
07-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Kori, just out of curiosity, how do you guys fund the bandwidth?

Most forums like this that grow exponentially usually post a bunch of damn ads all over the place.

It's nice that you guys haven't, but is there another way of enjoying in the successes for you and LJ monetarily?

Cry Havoc
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I believe it's mostly coming from Google image search. Since NY Post or whoever broke the news that RJ called off his wedding, many people are searching for pictures of RJ/the girl and that's leading them to one of the SpursTalk threads about his signing. This thread - http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129380

Yeah, that makes sense. I bet there were 4000+ people viewing that thread earlier.

What kind of bandwidth does ST churn out a day? This site is my internet home and the only one I go to more than this one is google. That's saying a lot. :lol Props to you and LJ.

DesignatedT
07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
:wgaf:

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Kori, just out of curiosity, how do you guys fund the bandwidth?

Most forums like this that grow exponentially usually post a bunch of damn ads all over the place.

It's not that you guys haven't, but is there another way of enjoying in the successes for you and LJ monetarily?

Yeah the traffic is to the point, we could make some serious money off it, if we put up ads. But I really hate the forums with ads everywhere, so I have always avoided it. I can't deny though that it would be nice to even come close to breaking even on the forums by earning some kind of money.

People always ask me if there is a way to contribute. Maybe we'll come up with something before the season starts. But I'm never going to litter the forum with a bunch of ads (well, at least not the Spurs section ;) )

mingus
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
yea, that was crazy. most i've ever seen before by a long shot. could be the situation mentioned above by Kori, but also that Spurstalk was mentioned on Realgm.com earlier today.

mingus
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah the traffic is to the point, we could make some serious money off it, if we put up ads. But I really hate the forums with ads everywhere, so I have always avoided it. I can't deny though that it would be nice to even come close to breaking even on the forums by earning some kind of money.

People always ask me if there is a way to contribute. Maybe we'll come up with something before the season starts. But I'm never going to litter the forum with a bunch of ads (well, at least not the Spurs section ;) )

that's awesome :wow.

pisses me off how some people think in terms of business for everything and ruin things for people (see: paying for Summer League on NBA.com).

50 cent
07-15-2009, 11:48 PM

I think you certainly need to find a way to profit from this, but I commend your hesitancy to littler the board with Ads like most forums do.

I don't have the answer, I was just wondering how you guys were funding the site without all the ads which is likely none of my business.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't have the answer, I was just wondering how you guys were funding the site without all the ads which is likely none of my business.

It's currently funded from our bank account :lol and has been for 6 years. We bought two servers a couple years back and it's run on a dual-server system (only real way to handle all the traffic without lag or downtime).

DAF86
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM

Just have some ads that stay in one place and don't move, I don't mind mind those. for example: in the forum index, one at the top of the page, one in one side other in the bottom, things like that. I hate that ads that pop up every time you go to a new window.

P/S: I don't know if I make my self clear is very tough to try to express yourself in your second lenguage while beign slightly drunk.

50 cent
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
It's currently funded from our bank account :lol and has been for 6 years. We bought two servers a couple years back and it's run on a dual-server system (only real way to handle all the traffic without lag or downtime).

That's crazy. Create a Mavs forum or something and just make it hideously full of ads.

WildcardManu
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM

You guys rock for providing a Spurs fan kick it spot.

jag
07-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Spurstalk shirts and other merch is always another option....

I know we've been down that road before...but what the hell?

sabar
07-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Paypal donations, make it happen

duncan228
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
People always ask me if there is a way to contribute. Maybe we'll come up with something before the season starts.

Keep us posted. :)

mookie2001
07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
uh oh another server thread

siraulo23
07-16-2009, 12:27 AM

:wow

2centsworth
07-16-2009, 01:27 AM

I told you to allow a few to contribute monthly in return for special recognition.t

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 01:32 AM
sweet

holcs50
07-16-2009, 04:02 AM
Yea, gotta agree with people in here. This has become probably my most visited site and it's nice as hell to have a place to talk to spurs fans who are knowledgeable and passionate (things i've been deprived of most my life). I gotta say it's very telling of yalls character to keep up and maintain a site that has grown to quite a large size without really getting anything in return. I was an admin on a site for awhile that was very small in proportion to this site and it was a pain in the ass. Just responding to pm's, complaints, and limiting trolls takes awhile by itself. Can't even imagine the time st takes up. I'm sure quite a few people here would look to help out with the site for all the time yall put in here whenever you figure how you want to do that. As for ads, of course throwing them everywhere would be shitty, but a few here and there that don't pop up every damn place wouldn't be awful. And if they were say adds relating to spurs/nba/sports apparel/shoes/stuff like that, I don't think that would be bad at all.

Kamnik
07-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Well If you make some kind of application that will enable users to donate money I am sure many will do it.

I spent hundreds of hours here since 2003 (Rasho signing) and there are thousands of people that are even more here than I am :)

A couple of $ for such a great add/popup free forum is more than worth it.

hsxvvd
07-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Vbookie! Let us buy Vbookie $$$ using paypal, money from this could fund the site!

MI21
07-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Make all users without black coloured usernames pay a fee :hat

urunobili
07-16-2009, 07:29 AM
1 dollar a month for a premium account with 1000vBookie daily? :)

We should create a brainstorming thread to see how you could start making some cash without trashing the site with banners...

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
paypal donation or even sellin spurstalk tshirts/merchandise....could help

or use the proceeds to charity donation, at leasts kori can claim the funds donated to charity as deduction to offset the server hosts fees thats tax non-deductible...

rascal
07-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Vbookie! Let us buy Vbookie $$$ using paypal, money from this could fund the site!

Its against the law to deal vbookie money in real cash.

zepn
07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
One banner ad across the top next to the logo, and one across the bottom next to the posting rules. It would not be that intrusive at all, and you guys deserve the income.

Just as Peter Holt has ponied-up and people should buy tickets, you guys have done this for a long time out of your own pockets and people should gladly ignore a couple of ads.

florige
07-16-2009, 08:51 AM

If it ever came to that I would be willing to pay to keep those damn annoying ads off of here. I would be willing to contribute though. No problem!

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 08:56 AM

I think you should charge the Mav & Lakers fans to post here. IMO :wakeup

zepn
07-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Winner!

BOHOLANO#21
07-16-2009, 10:04 AM
winner!

+1

Strike
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
http://macroblog.typepad.com/macroblog/images/win_button.jpg

That would definitely cut down on the douchebags and trolls.

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2009, 11:19 AM
paypal donation or even sellin spurstalk tshirts/merchandise....could help

or use the proceeds to charity donation, at leasts kori can claim the funds donated to charity as deduction to offset the server hosts fees thats tax non-deductible...

they canr sell merch. Wirh spurs in the title iirc

debo
07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Im not quite sure how ads work, but my suggestion is to put them in the mod's sigs. everyone is used to seeing some annoying sigs anyways.

Brazil
07-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Make all users without black coloured usernames pay a fee :hat

:depressed :lol

BTW someone can tell me what is the criteria for the black coloured usernames ? I know I know you are going to say :wgaf: but it's just a curiosity.

Nmber of posts don't seem to be the criteria maybe seniority on the site but it seems to be different for NBA section ?

For the rest I'm not against ad if w/o pop ups crazy animations and if it's a limited number.

HarlemHeat37
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd actually feel better now if Kori put up some ads..you guys should be making some $ off this..ads don't really matter to me, as long as they aren't pop-ups..

another sign of class from Spurs fans..

ElNono
07-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Just have some ads that stay in one place and don't move, I don't mind mind those. for example: in the forum index, one at the top of the page, one in one side other in the bottom, things like that. I hate that ads that pop up every time you go to a new window.

P/S: I don't know if I make my self clear is very tough to try to express yourself in your second lenguage while beign slightly drunk.

+1

I only hate ads in between posts. I wouldn't mind a top or bottom banner.

Spursfan092120
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Ads wouldn't bother me at all...I would also donate...This is a great site, but you guys should definitely at least break even on it..you put a lot of work into it.

urunobili
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM
side banners and Charging Mav and Laker fans FTW

Sausage
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
If you were to put ads on SpursTalk, there's an easy fix for us Firefox users, AdBlock Plus. Blocks every ad on every website and it's free!

kace
07-16-2009, 11:51 AM
with the time kori and timvp spend here to make this place great, i don't think it should cost them money.

i don't have any doubt that a paypal donation system to share the cost of this site would work very well.

not to make money with this forum is a thing, to lose some shouldn't happen.

Libri
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
If you were to put ads on SpursTalk, there's an easy fix for us Firefox users, AdBlock Plus. Blocks every ad on every website and it's free!

That add-on works great! I have been using it for awhile now.

florige
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Whatever just make sure you charge Dr. House double whatever everyone else is paying.

byrdman31
07-16-2009, 02:42 PM
One banner ad across the top next to the logo, and one across the bottom next to the posting rules. It would not be that intrusive at all, and you guys deserve the income.

This..:toast

Brazil
07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
:depressed :lol

BTW someone can tell me what is the criteria for the black coloured usernames ? I know I know you are going to say :wgaf: but it's just a curiosity.

Nmber of posts don't seem to be the criteria maybe seniority on the site but it seems to be different for NBA section ?

For the rest I'm not against ad if w/o pop ups crazy animations and if it's a limited number.

I'm violently experimenting the transparent effect... :depressed

D228 ?

DynastySpurs210
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

um if you want i could advertise SpursTalk.com on my famous youtube channel, it would be my pleasure!!

www.youtube.com/dynastyspurs