PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom Possibly Headed to Chicago Bulls?

carrao45
07-15-2009, 11:17 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/218560-odom-could-be-trade-bait-to-chicago

On one of the slowest sports days of the year, the Los Angeles Lakers and Lamar Odom seem to be farther apart than ever before. The Los Angeles Times reports that earlier today, the Lakers withdrew the offer that was on the table for a week, which would have paid Odom $9 million a year for four years.

Now with no deal on the table, it is very possible Odom could go the route of Trevor Ariza and head elsewhere for the mere principle.

The Dallas Mavericks are thought to be the favorites to potentially land Odom, should he start looking beyond L.A, however there is thought to be interest from Portland and possibly other teams via a sign-and-trade with Los Angeles.

One team that may make a run at Odom is the Chicago Bulls.

The Bulls would have to package a few players in a sign-and-trade to make the numbers work with L.A, but the same package of Kirk Hinrich and Tyrus Thomas that was dangled in front of the Jazz for Carlos Boozer may be bait for the Lakers.

Whether that would be enough remains to be seen.

Another player that seems to be far apart in contract talks is Charlotte Bobcats guard Raymond Felton.

Felton has been looking for a multi-year deal, yet the dollar figures the Bobcats are presenting do not align with what his agent believes is fair market value.

Should Charlotte break off talks, two former Larry Brown guards—Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson—may start to get some consideration from the Bobcats.

With Paul Millsap likely headed to Portland, the most coveted free agent big man will not be David Lee, but instead Glen Davis.

Big Baby is drawing serious interest from the Celtics, Jazz, and Pistons. Davis has indicated he wants to return to Boston, however potential starting roles in other cities could swing his vote.

Originally posted on LayupDrill.com

Well i guess it would help our PG problem...

IronMexican
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Hinrich and Thomas? Sign me up. A legit PG > 6th man.

ginobili's bald spot
07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Pretty credible source.

Banzai
07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
The chances of this happening are slim to none?

InRareForm
07-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Hinrich and Thomas? Sign me up. A legit PG > 6th man.

depends which hinrich you get.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Why is Odom referred to as a "6th man"? Is Gino a "6th man". People who actually understand the game of basketball do not get caught up in the semantics of supposed positions and roles.

But this would be a pretty nice deal for the Lakers all things considered. If Lamar is gone, it is better to get something out of it and these players would be positions of need.

IronMexican
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
depends which hinrich you get.

Very true. Hinrich is about as inconsistent at Odom. Probably more so.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Even an inconsistent Hinrich is better than all the Lakers pg's right now. That is the Lakers only weakness (even though they were talented enough to overcome that). Kirk is a very good defender and that does not change with him.

IronMexican
07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, true. Kirk is top 7 in PG Defense. I've always been a fan of his game.

mingus
07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
good. hopefully this is true. Odom has always posed problems for the Spurs. Hinrich is good, but he still can't guard Parker, and Thomas just sucks.

mingus
07-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, true. Kirk is top 7 in PG Defense. I've always been a fan of his game.

Hinrich is good at guarding players bigger than him because he's got quick feet. he can't guard Tony Parker though. he could definitely help with Billups.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Ya, California the state is very cool. You suck.

DAF86
07-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Help me out:

First question: The sign and trade thing can only be made with the team that had that player the season before?

2nd: If the Lakers do this sign and trade thing wouldn't they have to still sign Odom for an amount that satisfies him (that would be close to 50 mil 5 years) and then trade him for (more or so) the same amount of money? so they will still be spending money they don't want to spend? I don't get it.

IronMexican
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Help me out:

First question: The sign and trade thing can only be made with the team that had that player the season before?

2nd: If the Lakers do this sign and trade thing wouldn't they have to still sign Odom for an amount that satisfies him (that would be close to 50 mil 5 years) and then trade him for (more or so) the same amount of money? so they will still be spending money they don't want to spend? I don't get it.

Maybe the Lakers would just rather be spending that money on Hinrich and Thomas then Odom.

And they'd be committed to those players for less than 5 years.

DAF86
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Maybe the Lakers would just rather be spending that money on Hinrich and Thomas then Odom.

And they'd be committed to those players for less than 5 years.

And the first question?

ducks
07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
rumor is lo wants a 5 year, 38.6 million deal. Similar to what marion got from dallas.

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/
odom>>>>marion

IronMexican
07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't know the exact specifics to question #1. I think in some cases, you can't S&T.

DAF86
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM
No, son. The Lakers would not have to commit to 5 years, just what Odom would make in his first year, which is 10 mil.

Ok thanks.

DAF86
07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Hes a free agent, so someone else can sign and trade with him.

Are you thinking of possible ways the Lakers should not benefit from this?

Of course but besides I wanted to know how this thing works.

DPG21920
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
That makes no sense. He is looking for 5 years 38M but turned down 4 years at 36M? That is only a 2M dollar difference and even if he is hobbled in 4 years, he can still get the vet min and that would add up to 5 @ 38.

nil.ball
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
That makes no sense. He is looking for 5 years 38M but turned down 4 years at 36M? That is only a 2M dollar difference and even if he is hobbled in 4 years, he can still get the vet min and that would add up to 5 @ 38.

Yeah but that will make him work hard for 4 years to get that extra 2mil! In comparison he can just chill/suck his way to earn that $38 mil. :lol

carrao45
07-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Help me out:

Odom wants more years, the dispute isn't over money per year, it's over amount of years

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
He would not have to work any harder to get the vet min in 4 years. This just sounds to stupid to be true.

Both sides would have been posturing for no reason. The MLE for 5 years with the raises is close to 38M...

Sean Cagney
07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Why is Odom referred to as a "6th man"? Is Gino a "6th man". People who actually understand the game of basketball do not get caught up in the semantics of supposed positions and roles.

But this would be a pretty nice deal for the Lakers all things considered. If Lamar is gone, it is better to get something out of it and these players would be positions of need.No both are starters, good point there. They come off the bench for the spark they provide, period end of story. They are talented enough to start on any team.

Chillen
07-16-2009, 12:11 AM
If the Lakers do that trade that slightly saves their ass, not sure if it's good enough for a repeat but it covers up the wound from losing Odom/Ariza.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Well imo, Artest+Tyrus+Kirk > Odom+Ariza overall, but that is a lot of change and volatility from a championship team.

Then again, I am pretty high on Tyrus's game.

carrao45
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Well imo, Artest+Tyrus+Kirk > Odom+Ariza overall, but that is a lot of change and volatility from a championship team.

Then again, I am pretty high on Tyrus's game.

I think talent wise, yes it's an improvement. And Kirk is a great fit for the triangle, and it would fix our only weakness. But losing Lamar is an automatic net loss for the Lakers

jag
07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Hinrich would easily be the best pg on the lakers. And his defense is very underrated. That would be a solid move...but the Lakers would still need to address the bench.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Hinrich is a glorified White Chocolate Williams.

iggypop123
07-16-2009, 01:01 AM
why make a thread about a source that said COULD. just speculation. they got the hits they wanted. easy tricking people into something that might be untrue

Mr. Body
07-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Odom has to agree to play for Chicago. Is there any indication he would?

It seems to me he'd be more willing to play for Miami for less money than anywhere else. I can see him in Miami soon.

La Peace
07-16-2009, 02:49 AM
I would take it if it means not losing Odom and getting nothing in return.

Ghazi
07-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Wouldn't like this move for Bulls! Tyrus may easily be better than Odom within the next couple of years and Odom seems like the type to get lazy after a big payday!

I also don't think Odom is the type of 4 the Bulls are or should be looking for.

21_Blessings
07-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Hinrich is a glorified White Chocolate Williams.

Heinrich plays defense. Just as Dwayne Wade.

He's perfect in the triangle. Good spot up shooter, can play the 2 guard, high IQ and doesn't demand the basketball in his hands to produce. Huge upgrade over Fisher while Odom would be a luxury coming off the bench. Lamar is more of a insurance policy more than anything.

Dunc n Dave
07-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Hes a free agent, so someone else can sign and trade with him.
Are you thinking of possible ways the Lakers should not benefit from this?

Wrong again, lakaluva!
LA is the only team that can sign him and immediately trade him. When a team signs someone as a free agent from another team there is a waiting period (I think it is 3 months from the date they signed?) that must pass before he can be involved in any trade. See the excerpt below:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q69

76. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?Under no circumstances can a team sign and then trade another team's free agent. But there is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under the sign-and-trade rule, the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract which stipulates that the contract is invalid if the player's rights are not traded to the specific team within 48 hours.

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because they would have to waive him, after which they wouldn't be able to use Bird rights (see question number 25).

80. When can a team trade a free agent it signs? Do they have to keep him forever?
Generally, a player cannot be traded until three months after signing a contract or December 15th of that season, whichever is later. This does not apply to draft picks, who can be traded 30 days after signing their contract. In addition, if the player is playing under a one-year contract and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the contract, he can't be traded without his consent. If consent is granted and the player is traded, then he loses his Larry Bird or Early Bird rights, and enters free agency as a Non-Bird free agent. For example, Seattle signed Vladimir Radmanovic to a one-year qualifying offer on September 21, 2005. Therefore, Radmanovic could not be traded at all until December 21, 2005. After December 21, 2005, he could only be traded if he consented to the trade (he did consent and was traded to the Clippers). He became a Non-Bird free agent with the Clippers in the summer of 2006 (and signed instead with the Lakers).