PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Trying For Best Team Money Can Buy

duncan228
07-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Spurs trying for best team money can buy (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_trying_for_best_team_money_can_buy.html)
Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS — When Spurs majority owner Peter Holt walked into the room for the NBA Board of Governors meeting here earlier this week, he was greeted with a cacophony of catcalls and good-natured ribbing.

His fellow owners couldn't believe the supposedly thrifty Holt had signed off on one of the most expensive offseason makeovers in recent Spurs memory.

“They all think I'm cheap as hell,” Holt said.

Not anymore. In the span of less than a month, Holt and his ownership group have done some serious damage to their miserly reputation.

In the eye of an uncertain economy that prompted many NBA teams to put a lock on their wallets this offseason, the Spurs went barreling past the luxury tax threshold to acquire Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

The Spurs already are about $8 million over the dollar-for-dollar tax line, with still more roster pieces to add. The final tariff bill is likely to breach $10 million, on top of a payroll pushing $80 million.

In his first interview since the offseason began, Holt this week explained the reasoning behind the Spurs' out-of-character summertime spending spree. In Vegas terms, it was time to go all in.

“We strongly feel we've got a real opportunity here at the end of the Tim Duncan era,” Holt said before the start of a Spurs summer league game. “If you're in this business long-term, you've got to take care of the opportunities that come up. Even though short-term, it's going to cost you some real money.”

The Spurs, indeed, have been spending real money this summer. It's only looked like Monopoly money.

They took on the remaining $29.2 million owed Jefferson, who came over in a June 23 trade with Milwaukee. They spent the full $5.8 million mid-level exception on McDyess, a figure that comes out closer to $11 million after taxes.

They still are in healthy negotiations with draftee DeJuan Blair, a lottery-caliber talent who's likely to command more than the garden-variety second-round pick.

All of it is part of a rebuilding project the Spurs front office deemed necessary in the wake of a first-round playoff ouster against Dallas, in order to maximize the final years of Duncan's career.

Duncan, an 11-time All-Star, is under contract through 2011-2012.

“Our owners have been committed to putting a team on the floor that can compete to win a championship,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that.”

Few would have blamed Holt for pulling in his horns this summer. His ownership group, which took over in 1993, already had overseen four NBA championships — or four more than any previous ownership group.

It has been a good run.

Confronted with the same financial slump that has ravaged the coffers of nearly every NBA owner — just this week the league office announced that half its teams were in the red last year — Holt could have decided to take his Larry O'Brien trophies and cash out.

Instead, he bellied back up to the poker table, looking for one last score. Like most high-stakes gambles, it's a strategy not for the faint of heart.

“I'm not saying we're all not worried,” Holt said. “There's no crystal ball when it comes to the economy.”

In the face of a frightening horde of economic down arrows, Holt fell back on a business adage older than Forbes itself. You've got to spend money to make money.

At the box office, there are signs his investment is already paying off. Holt says he's noticed a drastic uptick in ticket sales since the Jefferson trade on June 23.

He says the team is up to a 71 percent renewal rate on season tickets, about a month off last year's pace but still a dramatic increase over earlier in the summer.

“All of a sudden, the fans seem re-energized,” Holt said.

The Spurs' No. 1 fan seems re-energized as well. Leaning back in his chair at UNLV's Cox Pavilion this week, Holt was relaxed and confident, eager for the days to come.

He had the look of a man who had pushed his chips to the center of the table, and knew he was sitting on a winning hand.

“We're ready to kick some ass,” Holt said. “I couldn't be more excited.”

timvp
07-16-2009, 01:15 AM

:smokin

Good to hear Spurs fans are stepping up to the plate with season tickets.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2009, 01:17 AM
That's a pretty awesome piece. :tu @ Holt

ehz33satx
07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I am getting so hyped right now! It is going to be a blast of a Spurs year! Balls to the wall baby!

scottspurs
07-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks for going All in Peter Holt. Your the main man. Keep doing what you do. 3 more rings for Duncan and Pop. Hell yeah!

Vic Petro
07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Major props to Holt. If this team can stay healthy he's got a damn good chance of getting a ring (or two) for his investment.

siraulo23
07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Spurs trying for best team money can buy (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_trying_for_best_team_money_can_buy.html)
Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS — When Spurs majority owner Peter Holt walked into the room for the NBA Board of Governors meeting here earlier this week, he was greeted with a cacophony of catcalls and good-natured ribbing.

His fellow owners couldn't believe the supposedly thrifty Holt had signed off on one of the most expensive offseason makeovers in recent Spurs memory.

Not anymore. In the span of less than a month, Holt and his ownership group have done some serious damage to their miserly reputation.

In the eye of an uncertain economy that prompted many NBA teams to put a lock on their wallets this offseason, the Spurs went barreling past the luxury tax threshold to acquire Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

The Spurs already are about $8 million over the dollar-for-dollar tax line, with still more roster pieces to add. The final tariff bill is likely to breach $10 million, on top of a payroll pushing $80 million.

In his first interview since the offseason began, Holt this week explained the reasoning behind the Spurs' out-of-character summertime spending spree. In Vegas terms, it was time to go all in.

“We strongly feel we've got a real opportunity here at the end of the Tim Duncan era,” Holt said before the start of a Spurs summer league game. “If you're in this business long-term, you've got to take care of the opportunities that come up. Even though short-term, it's going to cost you some real money.”

The Spurs, indeed, have been spending real money this summer. It's only looked like Monopoly money.

They took on the remaining $29.2 million owed Jefferson, who came over in a June 23 trade with Milwaukee. They spent the full $5.8 million mid-level exception on McDyess, a figure that comes out closer to $11 million after taxes.

They still are in healthy negotiations with draftee DeJuan Blair, a lottery-caliber talent who's likely to command more than the garden-variety second-round pick.

All of it is part of a rebuilding project the Spurs front office deemed necessary in the wake of a first-round playoff ouster against Dallas, in order to maximize the final years of Duncan's career.

Duncan, an 11-time All-Star, is under contract through 2011-2012.

“Our owners have been committed to putting a team on the floor that can compete to win a championship,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that.”

Few would have blamed Holt for pulling in his horns this summer. His ownership group, which took over in 1993, already had overseen four NBA championships — or four more than any previous ownership group.

It has been a good run.

Confronted with the same financial slump that has ravaged the coffers of nearly every NBA owner — just this week the league office announced that half its teams were in the red last year — Holt could have decided to take his Larry O'Brien trophies and cash out.

Instead, he bellied back up to the poker table, looking for one last score. Like most high-stakes gambles, it's a strategy not for the faint of heart.

“I'm not saying we're all not worried,” Holt said. “There's no crystal ball when it comes to the economy.”

In the face of a frightening horde of economic down arrows, Holt fell back on a business adage older than Forbes itself. You've got to spend money to make money.

At the box office, there are signs his investment is already paying off. Holt says he's noticed a drastic uptick in ticket sales since the Jefferson trade on June 23.

He says the team is up to a 71 percent renewal rate on season tickets, about a month off last year's pace but still a dramatic increase over earlier in the summer.

The Spurs' No. 1 fan seems re-energized as well. Leaning back in his chair at UNLV's Cox Pavilion this week, Holt was relaxed and confident, eager for the days to come.

He had the look of a man who had pushed his chips to the center of the table, and knew he was sitting on a winning hand.

Huh?

raspsa
07-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Nice article. Though giving the full $5.8M MLE to Big Mac seems to contradict earlier reports that he signed for $4.5M.

ehz33satx
07-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Me thinks even after Duncan retires in a few more years, Blair and Parker can team up with Jefferson, Mahinmi and Hill to bring us a few more championships. It would be nice to get 4 more before its all said and done.

Borosai
No money, no problems.

Libri
Is there anything wrong in saying that all teams try to buy a championship? Some have more money, others have less. Some use it wisely, others don't.

EricB
07-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Awesome to hear fans are spending money.

Would've been heartbreaking for the team to go that far in, and then not get any investment back from the community.

timvp
07-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Nice article. Though giving the full $5.8M MLE to Big Mac seems to contradict earlier reports that he signed for $4.5M.

I wouldn't take that as gospel.

07-16-2009, 01:32 AM
many teams are going all in. the lakers, magic, and celtics are also taking on gigantic payrolls to compete next year. even without the resigning of odom, the lakers will have the highest payroll at $84 million. in terms of cap space and luxury tax, the lakers and magic will be the most fucked.

peskypesky
07-16-2009, 01:35 AM

:worthy:

:danceclub

2centsworth
07-16-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm still in shock

Spurm
07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
second round fodders!

sprrs
07-16-2009, 02:03 AM
[B][URL="http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_trying_for_best_team_money_can_buy.html"]

That's exactly what we wanted to hear as fans. Don't waste what precious little time we have left with No. 21. Major props to Holt for stepping up.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Once again, props to Peter Holt and the rest of the ownership group. They've really outdone themselves so far this offseason.

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 02:17 AM
if only he did this in the summer of 02/03 for 03/04 campaign....wouldve repeat, hence 3peat, fkn quad ring run, drive for 5.....fix in the six, 7lution, octorings....spurs dynasty

Libri
07-16-2009, 02:17 AM
“If you're in this business long-term, you've got to take care of the opportunities that come up. Even though short-term, it's going to cost you some real money.”I'm glad to hear that Holt sees himself as the owner for many years to come.

buttsR4rebounding
07-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Huh?

Now that's the kind of insightful dialogue that has made Spurs Report what it is today...

El_Mago
07-16-2009, 02:36 AM
In my opinion, there is no better season than this one....the fire power on this squad is SICK.

Further, I appreciated Holt not being cheap and taking care of us fans and attempting to go for it all once again....

Thus, myself and two buddies have purchased SEASON TICKETS for the first time ever....to show our gratitude.

Thank you Peter Holt,

GO SPURS GO!!!!!:lobt2:

WildcardManu
07-16-2009, 02:44 AM
:flag:Pumping us up even more for the upcoming season. :flag:

slick'81
07-16-2009, 02:46 AM
im going 2b getting a ticket package this year 4shoo should be a fuun season to say the least

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 02:53 AM
I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Is the 15M accurate or just speculation at this point?

I mean, if the MLE was 5.8M, it stands to reason the whole MLE would have given him the roughly 18M 'Sheed received.

AusSpursFan
07-16-2009, 03:02 AM
If I lived over there, there is no doubt my hand would be in my pocket for a season pass.

Danny.Zhu
07-16-2009, 03:18 AM
[B][URL="http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_trying_for_best_team_money_can_buy.html"]

He knows that. Haha. :lol

SPURSGOAT
07-16-2009, 03:19 AM

:hungry::lobt2:

FireDavidStern
07-16-2009, 03:34 AM
if only he did this in the summer of 02/03 for 03/04 campaign....wouldve repeat, hence 3peat, fkn quad ring run, drive for 5.....fix in the six, 7lution, octorings....spurs dynasty

That's not fair. That team was killed by the .04 from Fisher. Without that or Manu's mental fart that Spurs team could have won 5 in a row. If you are going to blame that on Holt for being cheap do the fucking leg work. Tell us who they should have signed, for how much and how long and why the FA would have taken it. And don't give me Jackson. He would have taken opportunities away from Ginobili and would have hindered his development to the top. That team had the best PF in the league, one of the top SG in the league (after 03), an emerging star a point, the best perimeter defender in the game, and a solid bench. WHAT MORE WHERE THEY SUPPOSE TO DO?

The only time you could really attack the FO is not making a move the last 2 years. (and not about Maggette as he was offered more money than the Spurs were able)

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
That's not fair. That team was killed by the .04 from Fisher. Without that or Manu's mental fart that Spurs team could have won 5 in a row. If you are going to blame that on Holt for being cheap do the fucking leg work. Tell us who they should have signed, for how much and how long and why the FA would have taken it. And don't give me Jackson. He would have taken opportunities away from Ginobili and would have hindered his development to the top. That team had the best PF in the league, one of the top SG in the league (after 03), an emerging star a point, the best perimeter defender in the game, and a solid bench. WHAT MORE WHERE THEY SUPPOSE TO DO?

The only time you could really attack the FO is not making a move the last 2 years. (and not about Maggette as he was offered more money than the Spurs were able)

Jackson wouldve put his body on the line to defend that shot instead of havin who it was defending fisher didnt even attempt to jump block the shot

ehz33satx
07-16-2009, 04:00 AM
If I lived over there, there is no doubt my hand would be in my pocket for a season pass.

Have you ever been to San Antonio? What made you become a Spurs fan?

GSH
07-16-2009, 04:26 AM
You remember that first championship run, in 1999? The arena was wild most nights, even during the regular season. And people all over town had Spurs flags in their car windows. (Damn those things are loud.) I'd like to see it like that again this year. This isn't something to be taken for granted. Holt has gone the distance to put together another championship season. We need to ride it for all it's worth.

antimvp
07-16-2009, 05:59 AM
they should have done this all along.....especially when Drob retired......hope they are not too late.

Spurs Brazil
07-16-2009, 06:47 AM

:tu

K-State Spur
07-16-2009, 06:52 AM
they should have done this all along.....especially when Drob retired......hope they are not too late.

they were very active adding new pieces when drob retired. unfortunately mercer sucked, anthony carter sucked worse, and turkoglu was a mental midget compared to where he is now (which still isn't the model of playoff consistency).

they can be attacked for letting SJ walk, but they did make him the highest offer (which, 9+ times out of 10 will net you that player when he's already in your town) and have won 2 more championships since with no guarantee that Jackson would have made that more.

completely deck
07-16-2009, 06:56 AM

+1 :toast

ATRAIN
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Great article........Im excited!!! I cant wait to see how Blair will do!!

exstatic
07-16-2009, 07:14 AM

I mean, if the MLE was 5.8M, it stands to reason the whole MLE would have given him the roughly 18M 'Sheed received.

I don't think I've ever seen 3 yrs/full MLE for McDyess. The two scenarios were full MLE/3rd year partial and 4.5M starting/3 years guaranteed. It works out to about the same money in the end, but frees some MLE money for Blair so that they can sign him for 3 years instead of only the 2 allowed with part or all of the LLE.

urunobili
07-16-2009, 07:26 AM
I'd be choosing season tickets if i lived in SAT :depressed

But props to McDonald for a nice article

JGrice02
07-16-2009, 07:37 AM
many teams are going all in. the lakers, magic, and celtics are also taking on gigantic payrolls to compete next year. even without the resigning of odom, the lakers will have the highest payroll at $84 million. in terms of cap space and luxury tax, the lakers and magic will be the most fucked.

Actually, the Lakers have a payroll of $84 million without having signed Odom. Their payroll will be close to $94 million after they filll out their roster.

Highest Payrolls are likely to be as follows...
LA Lakers $94 Million
Dallas $90 Million
Boston $83 Million
Spurs $82 Million
Orlando $80 Million
Cleveland $80 Million
New Orleans $80 Million

silverblackfan
07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
This line is exactly how I feel.
I can't remember a season I was more looking forward to than this one. With the improvement of Hill, Ian, Hairston, and maybe Williams, we are looking pretty deep this year.
After the last few years of aging roster and the other teams getting better, it has seemed like we were declining.
With the roster now stacked, once the team starts playing Spurs ball, the rest of the league will take a beating.

wildbill2u
07-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Holt's contrarian move is bound to have effects throughout the league. The Lakers are looking at goiong $20,000,000 over the cap and a lot of the other elite teams are having to up their bets as well if they want to stay elite.

mattyc
07-16-2009, 08:06 AM

We've always been energised, but hell, it's good to see the Spurs investing in the roster in a big, big way.

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Actually, the Lakers have a payroll of $84 million without having signed Odom. Their payroll will be close to $94 million after they filll out their roster.

Highest Payrolls are likely to be as follows...
LA Lakers $94 Million
Dallas $90 Million
Boston $83 Million
Spurs $82 Million
Orlando $80 Million
Cleveland $80 Million
New Orleans $80 Million

no knicks lol

noh should get rid of everyone fire sale like suns

spursfan09
07-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I love my boyfriend for getting season tickets! :)

TheCerebral1
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Good to see that this is the case, for a few years it's come across that they were only going with what we've had. Yes they've tried to pull the trigger last year with VC, and other years. But this year it got done. The team also went with a player who can help now not a European prospect who might not sign immediately. They did this with Colo but with the last pick.

spurspokesman
07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Much props to peter.

spurspokesman
07-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Me to but im many miles away.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Wish there was a way I could contribute from here in Dallas. I want to get league pass, but wish I could tell them it's all for the Spurs.

SpursFan8179
07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs might dump you know who's salary if he gets hurt again by the trade deadline.

jb4g
07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
We've always been energised, but hell, it's good to see the Spurs investing in the roster in a big, big way.

truthfully i would not call last years crowds "energized"....game day atmosphere was pretty lame actually. Thats why im so impressed by the offseason moves, the FO realized they had to do something to re-energize the fanbase, pack the arena and open people's wallets....and they certainly have accomplished that. I know quite a few people considering ticket packages for this year that have never purchased in the past.

Ill be there every game-----cant wait!!!!

jag
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Wow...i'm pumped for the game in Atlanta. I might have to fly down again for a game during the Christmas holidays.

TMTTRIO
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs might dump you know who's salary if he gets hurt again by the trade deadline.

probably so especially since he has an expiring contract next year and will be a Free Agent. I think with an extra full summer to heal and getting all the other young guys he'll be just fine.

EricB
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Wish there was a way I could contribute from here in Dallas. I want to get league pass, but wish I could tell them it's all for the Spurs.

Merchandise. Jerseys hats, all the home office stuff u see at NBA.com.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
I need to find a job ASAP, so I can save some money to go to a shitload of Spurs games.

45 bank shot
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
I hope timmy can resign with the spurs after '12.

HarlemHeat37
07-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd like to contribute $ to the Spurs somehow, I can't buy tickets since I'm all the way on the East Coast though..any other ideas?..

Malice
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Its been a long time since I've been this fired up before a season. Glad to see the amount of passion coming from the posters here too! Here's to a fucking mind blowing season!

SpursWench21
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
If i had a more stable job, I would most definitely have bought season tickets....nevertheless I will still be attending as many games as i can this season.

Thank you again Mr. Holt and Co. and I cant wait for October!!! Cheers to the Spurs Org.:toast and GO SPURS GO!:flag: :lobt2:

ElNono
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd like to contribute $ to the Spurs somehow, I can't buy tickets since I'm all the way on the East Coast though..any other ideas?..

You COULD but season tickets then recoup some of the money selling them in places like stubhub. It's certainly some chunk of money and takes work, but I was thinking of doing something like that.

robert1886
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
i wished i live in SA i would have gotten season tickets....but since i live a few hours away i will be back a few trips to go see them kick some ass....thanks Holt!

loveforthegame
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice article.

The fans are energized again. Even if no more moves are made this is a better and stronger roster than we've had lately.

:tu

urunobili
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Buy Spurs player's Jersey's and merchandise...

HORNSWOGGLE
07-16-2009, 12:23 PM
second round fodders!
0-2 in finals appearances:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Merchandise. Jerseys hats, all the home office stuff u see at NBA.com.

Well, that goes without saying...

jag
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Make a couple trips down to SA and watch some games?

MB20
07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Buy Spurs player's Jersey's and merchandise...

How about us living in South America? Can we buy merchandise at NBA.com and receive it here?
I´d like to do my part :toast

benefactor
07-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Make a couple trips down to SA and watch some games?
...dates will be on the books as soon as I get my hands on a schedule. :tu

easjer
07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I think we're going to try and make a game or two in SA this year. Tough with the baby, but surely one of the grandparents will be happy to babysit while we are visiting and let us go. We'll see though.

EricB
07-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Yeah but just for other people like Harlem.

I think outside of that and tickets your pretty much limited, I've been racking my brain as well.

jag
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
...dates will be on the books as soon as I get my hands on a schedule. :tu

When does the schedule come out?

duncan228
07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
When does the schedule come out?

Usually early August.