PDA

View Full Version : DeJuan Blair signs three-year, $2.7 million contract

meestahmeestah
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
3 years, 2.7M according to hoopshype.com

http://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/2668570857

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Good deal for Blair and the Spurs. I thought the 3rd year would be an option.

Knoxxx
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
As this thread was hijacked with an argument that demeaned all those who participated in it, which might have caused me to missed something, am i correct in assuming that no one has heard any specific details about the contract.

How dare you not read the entire thread!! :lol

spursbird
07-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Thank you. He is really worth far more than the money given.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 09:00 AM

Good contract. Not completely out of whack with what other high 2nd round picks have been getting, yet still a little extra as recognition that he should have been drafted a lot higher than he was.

Muser
07-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Good, now he can focus on beasting.

DBMethos
Nice. Now go hit the boards!

timvp
(I split this out from the other thread because that thread was trashed.)

Yeah, this is right in line with the contract numbers I was hearing yesterday. This is closer to the higher number that was being offered so I'm guessing the third year is a team option. The player option contract was closer to $2.2-2.3M.

I like this deal for the Spurs and for Blair :tu

L.I.T
07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Great deal.

And no surprise it got done quickly. Hope this turns into one of those...Man, the Spurs have done wonders in the draft...type of stories.

Dex
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Seems like a solid deal. Initially, Blair will get good money for being an unproven rookie and 2nd round pick. Eventually, the Spurs will be the ones getting the deal if he pans out.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Thank the Lord! I can move those candles from my "Blair contract" shrine, back to my altar for St. Roch, patron saint of knee problems. He's going to be working over time this season.

Muser
07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Thank the Lord! I can move those candles from my "Blair contract" shrine, back to my altar for St. Roch, patron saint of knee problems. He's going to be working over time this season.

Omg that cracked me up :lmao.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Obviously the Spurs were prepared to give Blair a bigger than the min contract right from the start.I wonder, since they had to get the money from the MLE, could this be the stumbling block in the Sheed deal, assuming Sheed's been their No.1 priority over Dice.

silverblackfan
07-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Great to hear. Now Blair can get back to work in cleaning that glass and making all the teams that passed on him to cringe. I can imagine the conversations of the other GMs, "Of all the teams he had to fall to, not the damn Spurs!"
Lets hope he has a good healthy 3 years of domination.
If this is what was required to sign him and Dice, then I am glad we did not get Sheed.

TheCerebral1
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Well he got more than he would have if he went by the scale for that pick. That being said, I completely agree that he is worth more than that paultry rate. Welcome to SA officially. :lobt:

GSH
07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Rookie scale for the 30th pick comes to $2.657M. Allow for rounding, and that's $2.7M. That's what I've been expecting them to give him. I would guess that it's structured like the scale, too, with the third year being team option.

It allows for some dignity for Blair, along with the financial security. Considering the Spurs are into the Lux Tax, it's a pretty sizable investment. I think he's worth it, and now the Spurs have said they think so, too.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Well he got more than he would have if he went by the scale for that pick. That being said, I completely agree that he is worth more than that paultry rate. Welcome to SA officially. :lobt:

There is no scale for 2nd round picks.

TheCerebral1
07-16-2009, 09:30 AM

My bad, I'm thinking of the curve for the MLB draft. :bang

Cry Havoc
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I, for one, still question Blair's motives. Why was he in such a rush to sign a contract? Maybe because HE'S ALREADY HURT and NO ONE knows!?

Blair is CLEARLY a SELFISH player and I for one will not tolerate it!

:lol

/couldn't resist

urunobili
07-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Now officially a Spur bitches!

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
My bad, I'm thinking of the curve for the MLB draft. :bang

It's all good. The important thing is that the Spurs now have a tremendous young talent locked up for 3 years on a contract that should end up looking like an incredible bargain some time down the road.

spurspokesman
07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
:lol:lol:lol

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I am ecstatic that the deal is done, but I thought that Bruno and others stated that there was no possible way to offer a third year (even at an option). I feel much better knowing that we have him for at least three years.

GSH
07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Obviously the Spurs were prepared to give Blair a bigger than the min contract right from the start.I wonder, since they had to get the money from the MLE, could this be the stumbling block in the Sheed deal, assuming Sheed's been their No.1 priority over Dice.

I keep hearing that the Spurs retained some of the MLE, but I don't see any evidence of it. One of the sites that is usually pretty good about listing transactions, and amounts shows McD's contract as being 3 years, and $18.9M. That would be the full MLE this year, with 8% raises each of the two following years. The third year may be only partially guaranteed, which would make it somewhat less than that, if he only plays the two years. But nothing I have seen indicates he is getting less than the full MLE this season. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=spurs&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=2009&BeginMonth=6&BeginDay=1&EndYear=2009&EndMonth=7&EndDay=16&submit=Search

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Blair getting 3 years at more than league minimum is proof positive that the Spurs had some MLE left over. There's only 4 ways you can add 2nd round draft picks to your team.

1. Cap room, which we know the Spurs did not have.
2. Minimum salary exception, which we know the Spurs did not use because Blair got more than the minimum.
3. The LLE, which can only be 2 years in length.
4. The MLE.

koriwhat
07-16-2009, 09:44 AM
watching blair in g1 of the sl was enough to convince me.

http://tinyurl.com/slg1p1
http://tinyurl.com/slg1p2

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I keep hearing that the Spurs retained some of the MLE, but I don't see any evidence of it. One of the sites that is usually pretty good about listing transactions, and amounts shows McD's contract as being 3 years, and $18.9M. That would be the full MLE this year, with 8% raises each of the two following years. The third year may be only partially guaranteed, which would make it somewhat less than that, if he only plays the two years. But nothing I have seen indicates he is getting less than the full MLE this season.

I haven't seen any concrete info on the matter as well, but the only way we could offer Blair a 3yr/$2.7mil contract would be using money from the MLE, we can't offer more than 2 years if we're using money from LLE and his deal is clearly more than the min contract ( which can also be 2 years max ).

I can see the scenario going like this. Prior to the draft the Spurs are prepared to hit the free agency hard going after someone, presumably Sheed, with their full MLE. Sheed's agent, of course, is interested but nothing official can be said or done until July 1st. On draft night Blair falls to the Spurs, they quickly realize he's a steal and would be worth/would demand more than the min, so they decide the best way to keep him would be by locking him on a 3yr deal, using MLE money, instead of 2 yrs using LLE. Contract offer to Sheed is not for the full MLE, unlike offers from other teams, thus Sheed's agent comes up with his infamous quote that the Spurs have to do 'something'. We wonder what that something could be and assume it's the 3rd year, because we think we're offering the whole MLE,like everyone else, while in fact we're not. Then the Spurs decide to go after Dice and keep both Dice and Blair and Sheed comes up with a stupid quote from his press conf. about the Spurs offer.

GSH
Blair getting 3 years at more than league minimum is proof positive that the Spurs had some MLE left over. There's only 4 ways you can add 2nd round draft picks to your team.

1. Cap room, which we know the Spurs did not have.
2. Minimum salary exception, which we know the Spurs did not use because Blair got more than the minimum.
3. The LLE, which can only be 2 years in length.
4. The MLE.

I didn't say I understand what they've done, just that there is nothing to indicate that McDyess got less than the full MLE for this season.

We have seemingly conflicting reports. One shows McDyess with the full MLE for 3 years, and another shows Blair with a 3-year deal. I can't see any way that both of those can be true.

SpursFan8179
So when does his Jersey come out then?

koriwhat
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
man yall missed out on his debut if you didn't catch it. :)

BOHOLANO#21
07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
yup.

BOHOLANO#21
07-16-2009, 09:55 AM
pretty soon. i already got my #24 jefferson yesterday from FEDEX. blair next:toast

completely deck
07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

At the presser, whenever that is :downspin:

jb4g
07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Great to hear. Now Blair can get back to work in cleaning that glass and making all the teams that passed on him to cringe. I can imagine the conversations of the other GMs, "Of all the teams he had to fall to, not the damn Spurs!"
Lets hope he has a good healthy 3 years of domination.
If this is what was required to sign him and Dice, then I am glad we did not get Sheed.

lol, im sure more than a few teams have had that thought since the draft. I recall how fast the Spurs got the pick in on draft night, the nba guy had barely finished calling out the previous pick's name, let alone walk off the stage and the Spurs had already phoned it in. That had to have gotten the attention of some other teams, you could tell the Spurs were elated to get him.

Grizzly Blair FTW!

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I didn't say I understand what they've done, just that there is nothing to indicate that McDyess got less than the full MLE for this season.

We have seemingly conflicting reports. One shows McDyess with the full MLE for 3 years, and another shows Blair with a 3-year deal. I can't see any way that both of those can be true.

Here's what I think the Spurs did. A 3 year deal starting at full MLE, totalling $15 mil with a partial guaranteed 3yrd year would look like this.:

Yr 1 - $5.854
Yr 2 - $6.322
Yr 3 - $2.824 (the guaranteed portion only)
Total - $15.000

But the Spurs could have told Dyess they needed to save some of that MLE for Blair and then offered him a 3 year deal starting at something less than the MLE that would still net him the $15 mil over the 3 years. That would look like this:

Yr 1 - $4.630
Yr 2 - $5.000
Yr 3 - $5.370
Total - $15.000

This would save the Spurs around $1.2 mil of their MLE and guarantee Dyess his $15 mil, but Dyess would be taking a hit in years 1 and 2. However the CBA allows teams to take 20% of the contract value and pay that in the first year as a signing bonus. I won't get into all the mumbo jumbo on how all that works but you can read about it here. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q62

What it ends up working out to is that Dyess would actually be cashing checks as follows.:

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

Even though Dyess would end up recieving more money in the 1st year than the actual MLE, it works because the CBA states that a player's cap figure is equal to the amount he earns, not the amount he gets paid. There's a distinction here because Dyess is in essence getting paid money in the 1st year that he hasn't actually earned yet. But he doesn't care and the Spurs are okay with it because it allows them to save some of their MLE. It's win-win. This couldn't have happened without Dyess agreeing to it so we owe him our thanks.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Hells yeah. Blair will be paid well in 2012 as $30 million comes off the cap.

Of course, $22 mil of that will be TD. :depressed

vander
07-16-2009, 10:26 AM

this

MB20
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Here's what I think the Spurs did. A 3 year deal starting at full MLE, totalling $15 mil with a partial guaranteed 3yrd year would look like this.:

Yr 1 - $5.854
Yr 2 - $6.322
Total - $15.000

But the Spurs could have told Dyess they needed to save some of that MLE for Blair and then offered him a 3 year deal starting at something less than the MLE that would still net him the $15 mil over the 3 years. That would look like this:

Yr 1 - $4.630
Yr 2 - $5.000
Yr 3 - $5.370
Total - $15.000

This would save the Spurs around $1.2 mil of their MLE and guarantee Dyess his $15 mil, but Dyess would be taking a hit in years 1 and 2. However the CBA allows teams to take 20% of the contract value and pay that in the first year as a signing bonus. I won't get into all the mumbo jumbo on how all that works but you can read about it here. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q62

What it ends up working out to is that Dyess would actually be cashing checks as follows.:

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

Even though Dyess would end up recieving more money in the 1st year than the actual MLE, it works because the CBA states that a player's cap figure is equal to the amount he earns, not the amount he gets paid. There's a distinction here because Dyess is in essence getting paid money in the 1st year that he hasn't actually earned yet. But he doesn't care and the Spurs are okay with it because it allows them to save some of their MLE. It's win-win. This couldn't have happened without Dyess agreeing to it so we owe him our thanks.

I don´t even want to ask how much time you have spent reading the NBA rules / CAP / CBA... :lol

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I don´t even want to ask how much time you have spent reading the NBA rules / CAP / CBA... :lol

More than most, less than some. :lol

Bruno
07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Minimum salary exception, which we know the Spurs did not use because Blair got more than the minimum.

And you are only limited to 2 years with the minimum salary exception.

urunobili
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
He deserved more money than Bonner though :wakeup

Bruno
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
$2.7M/3 years is a damn great deal for Spurs. The key with Blair was to lock him under a cheap contract for the longest time possible. 3 years is the perfect length for Spurs.

Ginnoobbllee
07-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Brilliant deductive work.

C.S.I coyotes_geek (cool salary-cap info)

And why wouldn't Dice agree to that deal? He gets more money up front. He should actually thank Blair. The need to do Blair's contract forced the Spurs to pay Dice more up front money!

One forward thinking front office. Holt brought out the checkbook this year.
:lobt2:

peacemaker885
07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Hells yeah. Blair will be paid well in 2012 as $30 million comes off the cap.

Of course, $22 mil of that will be TD. :depressed

Timmy being the great leader that he is, will choose sign for a minimum contract.....I hope..

vander
07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
More than most, less than some. :lol

so a team's cap number isn't what gets reported on Hoopshype or the like right? I thought I read that the cap hit is the average salary/year over the life of the contract and not the increasing figure.

so you wouldn't happen to know what the Spurs' actual cap # is would you?

mountainballer
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Yr 1 - $5.854
Yr 2 - $6.322
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $4.630
Yr 2 - $5.000
Yr 3 - $5.370
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

jesus, CG, most people can't even differentiate between cap and lux tax threshold. I fear you just blew some peoples cerebellar.:lol

btw. what about this:
Dice got 5 million straight, which would leave 850K of the MLE.
considering the allowed pay rise Blair could get 850 + 920 + 990, this sums up to slightly above the reported 2.7M.
(Dice could get 5.0+5.4+5.8 = 16.2 million)

ElNono
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Happy should be extremely Happy with that deal.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Good deal for both sides. Pretty obvious that if the details of the contract are accurate, that the Spurs had some MLE money leftover.

GSH
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

That only works if the third year is fully guaranteed, but it's the only scenario that makes sense. Which means the report on prosportstransactions is just wrong. It happens, I guess.

There's no reason McDyess wouldn't have agreed to getting a bigger chunk of the money up front. It's worth more to him, just on the time value of the money. It's probably better to say that he owes Blair his thanks.

If that's all correct, a fully guaranteed third year is going to cost the team down the road, though. Assuming he really only intends to play 2 more seasons, as has been reported, that partially guaranteed third would have made him more of a trade asset. Fully guaranteed, no team can trade for him and then cut him to clear half the salary. And he won't be taking a buyout, because he won't be able to make up the money by playing somewhere else. This is turning out to be one hell of an expensive season.

I hope Blair appreciates getting a championship ring in his rookie season.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
so a team's cap number isn't what gets reported on Hoopshype or the like right? I thought I read that the cap hit is the average salary/year over the life of the contract and not the increasing figure.

so you wouldn't happen to know what the Spurs' actual cap # is would you?

The salaries that show up on the websites are the cap numbers and the cap hit is not just an average.

Not sure what the Spurs actual cap number is yet.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 11:11 AM
jesus, CG, most people can't even differentiate between cap and lux tax threshold. I fear you just blew some peoples cerebellar.:lol

btw. what about this:
Dice got 5 million straight, which would leave 850K of the MLE.
considering the allowed pay rise Blair could get 850 + 920 + 990, this sums up to slightly above the reported 2.7M.
(Dice could get 5.0+5.4+5.8 = 16.2 million)

That's another scenario that works. And you're right that it does match up nicely with what Blair is rumored to be getting.

vander
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
The salaries that show up on the websites are the cap numbers and the cap hit is not just an average.

Not sure what the Spurs actual cap number is yet.

oh darn, I thought perhaps we were actually under the tax yet

Cry Havoc
07-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Yr 1 - $5.854
Yr 2 - $6.322
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $4.630
Yr 2 - $5.000
Yr 3 - $5.370
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

Well, you just proved the latter portion of your username. :lol Props. :toast

Brazil
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Good deal indeed.

Really this year the Spurs FO deserve huge props, everything is being done good and fast. We're blessed to be spurs fans ! Look at the mess for other major teams: mavs rapped by Orlando, LA in trouble with Odom, Portland going nowhere, Heat under pressure to find quickly a decent supporting cast for Wade, Suns being the suns...

So far the fastest smoothest successful off season spurs, celts and magic, the rest is on mess mode.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Timmy being the great leader that he is, will choose sign for a minimum contract.....I hope..

I believe he'll be choosing retirement at that point.

Ditto for Manu.

:depressed

urunobili
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Ditto for Manu.

It depends if they win one or two more b4 retirement...

I think that if they win one more or two... they may go for a third with TP as "the man" :)

TD off the bench 10 min big and Manu spot up shooter 5 min off the bench too.... :wow

johngateswhiteley
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Ditto for Manu.

barring career ending injury, i bet TD plays into his late 30s...i'll say 38-39.

Libri
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Good, now he can focus on beasting.

And beasting he shall.

xmr210x
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toast

loveforthegame
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Sweet deal. :tu

Now let's get this season started already.

iilluzioN
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
good news!

ohmwrecker
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Ditto for Manu.

Manu maybe. It will be difficult to play as hard as he does and have a long career. However, I think Timmy can play (depending on his health) in an incrementally decreased role for another 5 years or so. I would like to see TD have a Abdul-Jabbar like career.

Libri
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the links!

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Ditto for Manu.

After we sign Dwight Howard in 2012 they'll stick around. :stirpot:

TMTTRIO
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Manu maybe. It will be difficult to play as hard as he does and have a long career. However, I think Timmy can play (depending on his health) in an incrementally decreased role for another 5 years or so. I would like to see TD have a Abdul-Jabbar like career.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Manu becoming more of a shooter. He's already said that he wants to play for a few more years and that he's going to be working more on his shooting and mid range shots so that he can do it.

SonOfAGun
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
c764JWVt5Fw

:hat

Borosai
07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Good.

completely deck
07-16-2009, 01:21 PM
c764JWVt5Fw

:hat

Love your signature!

ElNono
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Ditto for Manu.

I agree. They'll probably ride together into the sunset... :married:
:lol

Mugen
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
good for Dejuan, how comparable is that salary to late first rounders?

hater
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
so is he playin next SL game?

koriwhat
07-16-2009, 01:48 PM

no problem. look for me soon in other threads! :king

peacemaker885
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
so is he playin next SL game?

Now that we have invested in him, I think of 'saving' him for the real thing....

duncan228
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Spurs get Blair under contract (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/spurs-get-blair.html)
By Jeff McDonald

DeJuan Blair is ready to return to summer league action.

The Spurs have come to contract terms with Blair, the No. 37 overall pick in the June draft. Blair announced the completion of the deal on a televised interview with ESPN this morning. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has confirmed the news.

The Spurs held Blair out of Tuesday's summer-league victory over Denver, in part to tie up loose ends in contract negotiations.

According to this report, Blair's deal is guaranteed for three years at a total of $2.7 million. If that is accurate, the Spurs will have given Blair a portion of their mid-level exception, meaning that contrary to previous reports, they did not give their full MLE to recent free-agent signee Antonio McDyess.

At any rate, Blair is expected to sign his deal sometime before 5:30 Las Vegas time, when the Spurs tip off their next summer league game against Oklahoma City.

DMX7
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Spurs get Blair under contract (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/spurs-get-blair.html)
By Jeff McDonald

At any rate, Blair is expected to sign his deal sometime before 5:30 Las Vegas time, when the Spurs tip off their next summer league game against Oklahoma City.

It's feels good to sign and b a spur I am excited GO SPURS LOL!!!!!
-Dejuan Blair via Twitter

http://twitter.com/dejuan45

Spurs Brazil
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Yr 1 - $5.854
Yr 2 - $6.322
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $4.630
Yr 2 - $5.000
Yr 3 - $5.370
Total - $15.000

Yr 1 - $6.630
Yr 2 - $4.000
Yr 3 - $4.370
Total - $15.000

Great job CG!

hater
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Blair is the shit

completely deck
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Blair is the shit

Damn right he is.

Cant.

Wait.

:hungry:

anakha
07-16-2009, 02:47 PM
It's feels good to sign and b a spur I am excited GO SPURS LOL!!!!!
-Dejuan Blair via Twitter

http://twitter.com/dejuan45

Somebody tell Blair that's not how you're supposed to do that chant. :lol

EricB
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
GO SPURS L O L

I can see it working.

tp2021
07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
GO SPURS L O L

I can see it working.

Good luck getting the fans to do anything out loud :lol

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice, that is a fair deal.

EricB
07-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Good luck getting the fans to do anything out loud :lol

They're loud when the games mean something.

I can't say I'm loud in the middle of November against the Memphis Grizzlies.

spursdotcom
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Official release

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090716_blair.html

:toast

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't quote me on this because these numbers are third hand from an agent but he says the numbers he has heard for McDyess' contract are as followed:

2009-10: $4,510,000
2010-11: $4,690,000
2011-12: $2,500,000

With the third year having another $2,500,000 in unguaranteed money.

If those numbers are accurate, which I have no idea if they are or not, that's a hell of deal for McDyess :wow

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow. If that's true that's only $11.7 guaranteed. Full MLE is $5.85. Looks like the Spurs just pony up 2 years worth of full MLE money but get to spread it out over 3 years.

CHRIS7013
07-16-2009, 04:20 PM
The reason why they signed him so quick is if you noticed he did not play the 2nd game in the Summer League. He advised the Spurs he would not play again until his contract was finalized.

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow. If that's true that's only $11.7 guaranteed. Full MLE is $5.85. Looks like the Spurs just pony up 2 years worth of full MLE money but get to spread it out over 3 years.

I haven't checked the CBA but do you know if teams are allowed to change the growth percentage in the contract like that? In that supposed McDyess contract, the raise from the first year to the second year is smaller than the second year to the third year.

ducks
07-16-2009, 04:24 PM

and if they trade him in year 3 in offseason do not even have to pay the 2full mle to him

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
The reason why they signed him so quick is if you noticed he did not play the 2nd game in the Summer League. He advised the Spurs he would not play again until his contract was finalized.

False. The Spurs and his agent were close to a deal before the game and the Spurs decided to move up his rest day since he had to have another physical before signing his deal. Blair wasn't aware he wasn't going to play until right before the tip.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I haven't checked the CBA but do you know if teams are allowed to change the growth percentage in the contract like that? In that supposed McDyess contract, the raise from the first year to the second year is smaller than the second year to the third year.

I haven't checked either but I'm pretty sure you can so long as you're not exceeding the 8% jump between any two seasons.

zepn
07-16-2009, 04:32 PM
We don't know if we have the real numbers or not, but hyothetically if the Spurs got Dice and Blair for great prices, could they split the MLE three ways if there was still something left?

CHRIS7013
07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
No it is true..........

Spurs Sit DeJuan Blair in Summer League
http://www.hoopsworld.com/images/spacer.gif

Posted: 7/15/2009 5:55:00 AM

Blair, a second-round pick out of Pittsburgh, was held for contractual reasons. As in, he doesn't have one, and doesn't want to risk injury until he does.

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
We don't know if we have the real numbers or not, but hyothetically if the Spurs got Dice and Blair for great prices, could they split the MLE three ways if there was still something left?

Depends how Blair's contract is structured (I'm trying to find that out now). But even in the best case scenarios, there's barely anymore room.

ducks
07-16-2009, 04:39 PM
No it is true..........

Blair, a second-round pick out of Pittsburgh, was held for contractual reasons. As in, he doesn't have one, and doesn't want to risk injury until he does.

link?

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
No it is true..........

:lol Alright, believe what you want.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Roughly, Blair's contract starts with a $835K salary for 2009-10 if it's "normal" (max raises each year). Combined with McDyess' rumored salary, that would be a combined $5.345 mil. So the Spurs would have something like $555K left over out of the MLE.

CHRIS7013
07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2009/07/16/report-blair-signs-contract.html

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Roughly, Blair's contract starts with a $835K salary for 2009-10 if it's "normal" (max raises each year). Combined with McDyess' rumored salary, that would be a combined $5.345 mil. So the Spurs would have something like $555K left over out of the MLE.

Nice work.

That tells me the Spurs planned to save just enough money after McDyess and Blair to give one of their second round picks (either McClinton or Gist) a three-year deal using the MLE.

P.S.

That $4,510,000 looks like a random number to give McDyess this year but now that the other pieces are falling into place, it makes sense.

Brazil
07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Nice work.

That tells me the Spurs planned to save just enough money after McDyess and Blair to give one of their second round picks (either McClinton or Gist) a three-year deal using the MLE.

P.S.

That $4,510,000 looks like a random number to give McDyess this year but now that the other pieces are falling into place, it makes sense.

and the spurs have still the LLE right ?

timvp
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
and the spurs have still the LLE right ?

Yessir.

Spurstro
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
No it is true..........

Right, and Karl Malone chose the Spurs too..

http://cellphoneforums.net/sports/t166161-karl-malone-wants-play-spurs.html

zepn
07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Depends how Blair's contract is structured (I'm trying to find that out now). But even in the best case scenarios, there's barely anymore room.

Thanks. I was wondering if the Spurs might have left a little bit of the MLE on purpose, so that it could be combined with something else and/or if that could be used (as with Blairs contract) to go for more than the 2 years that the LLE is restricted to.

ffadicted
07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice work.

P.S.

timvp, is it possible to split the LLE money as well like the MLE? I would assume it would be, but I'm not 100%

Mr. Body
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Half a mil is pretty decent to work with.

CHRIS7013
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Right, and Karl Malone chose the Spurs too..

http://cellphoneforums.net/sports/t166161-karl-malone-wants-play-spurs.html

What the heck does have to do with why Blair wanted an immediate contract?

Spurstro
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM

It's on in the Internet, so it must be true.....right?

rold50
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM

that your source is wrong.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice work.

That RC sure seems to know what he's doing. Everyone else just throws their full MLE at a quality free agent and is done. RC finds a way to get the quality free agent and squeeze in two 2nd round picks as well out of his MLE.

P.S.

Going back to the previous question regarding his raises: Take 8% of the $4.51 mil ($360k) and the Spurs can give raises, or even decreases if they wanted to, for any amount within that number for each year of the contract. Year 2 just needs to be within +/- $360k of year 1. Year 3 needs to be within +/- $360k of year 2.

El Fuego
07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a feeling were going to use the LLE on Bowen once he gets waived. hes making 4 million right now with 50% guaranteed correct? so i think we pay him more then the minimum and give him the LLE to help make up the salary he's losing out on. Spurs have always been good to bowen. just a guess on my part though

buttsR4rebounding
07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I haven't seen any concrete info on the matter as well, but the only way we could offer Blair a 3yr/$2.7mil contract would be using money from the MLE, we can't offer more than 2 years if we're using money from LLE and his deal is clearly more than the min contract ( which can also be 2 years max ).

I can see the scenario going like this. Prior to the draft the Spurs are prepared to hit the free agency hard going after someone, presumably Sheed, with their full MLE. Sheed's agent, of course, is interested but nothing official can be said or done until July 1st. On draft night Blair falls to the Spurs, they quickly realize he's a steal and would be worth/would demand more than the min, so they decide the best way to keep him would be by locking him on a 3yr deal, using MLE money, instead of 2 yrs using LLE. Contract offer to Sheed is not for the full MLE, unlike offers from other teams, thus Sheed's agent comes up with his infamous quote that the Spurs have to do 'something'. We wonder what that something could be and assume it's the 3rd year, because we think we're offering the whole MLE,like everyone else, while in fact we're not. Then the Spurs decide to go after Dice and keep both Dice and Blair and Sheed comes up with a stupid quote from his press conf. about the Spurs offer.

I think you nailed it. :toast

buttsR4rebounding
07-16-2009, 05:12 PM
timvp, is it possible to split the LLE money as well like the MLE? I would assume it would be, but I'm not 100%

Bi-annual exception
The bi-annual exception may be used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million in 2005-06, but cannot be used two years in a row (and if the $1 million exception from the previous CBA was used in 2004-05, the bi-annual exception cannot be used in 2005-06). Like the mid-level exception, the $1 million exception can also be split among more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was only valued at $1 million for the first year of the agreement.

I believe this answers your question.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Nice work.

Well, the minimum salary for a rookie in 2009-10 is $457,588 and for a 2nd year player is $736,420. So they could give McClinton or Gist about $100K extra in salary for the 1st year...

zepn
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Yeah, I said basically the same thing a day or two ago on the 'sheed thread, but no one seemed interested. Guess he's old news...

El Fuego
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Its probably going to be McClinton for the remainder the MLE. RC has been saying that Jack is going to be a Eddie House for the spurs and that Eddie House had to develope to a Eddie House. RC is probably betting on him down the road. 3 year deal and he probably spends his rookie year in Austin

CHRIS7013
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
that your source is wrong.

Show me your source that confirms the other theory....

duncan228
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Show me your source that confirms the other theory....

For what it's worth, there was this.

Summer League Recap 2: Averting the Blair Freakout
By Jeff McDonald

A game after rookie DeJuan Blair showcased his rebounding freakishness in his summer-league debut, the Spurs opted to sit him in Tuesday's 78-76 victory over Denver. The official rationale: The Spurs already know what Blair can do. They wanted to see more from other bigs, like Ian Mahinmi and James Gist.

The Spurs also wanted to see how Blair's knees — which are famously without ACLs — responded to his first summer league game before playing him in his second. Blair logged a 13-point, 10-rebound double-double in Sunday's win over New Orleans.

"We were going to sit him tonight anyway, so we figured why push it?" Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "We wanted to rotate some guys."

Buford said he did not know if Blair would play Thursday against Oklahoma City.

Rumors abound that Blair, a second-round pick out of Pittsburgh, was held for contractual reasons. As in, he doesn't have one, and doesn't want to risk injury until he does.

Unlike with first-round picks, Blair's contractual terms are not locked in by the league's collective bargaining agreement. As such, he is allowed to negotiate any asking price he wants.

Blair, for his part, says he doesn't expect his contract to be an issue going forward.

"I'm going to be a Spur," Blair said. "They picked me. I'm just negotiating my contract right now. I plan on being a Spur for a long time."

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131301

Big P
07-16-2009, 06:10 PM
From Hoopsworld

Blair Gets Four Years

One of the question marks here in Las Vegas has been whether or not the San Antonio Spurs would be able to get business taken care of with draft pick DeJuan Blair. Blair dropped a double-double in limited minutes in the Spurs' first summer league game and then sat out their second. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express has reported that the team is close to signing Blair to a three-year guaranteed contract worth $2.7 million and HOOPSWORLD has learned that it will likely be four years with a team option for the fourth year. The total value of the deal will likely be greater than the reported $2.7 million.

It's a smart move for the Spurs, who won't have to give Blair a radical increase should he prove that his rumored knee issues really aren't a problem. The deal puts him on par with a low first round pick, which is where he was projected to go originally. The Spurs will use part of their remaining MLE to make the deal happen.

timvp
07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Four years for Blair? Holy crap. Never heard of a second round pick getting that many years.

Nice move for all involved either way :tu

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow. 4 years for Blair is awesome. I'm kind of surprised Blair agreed to a 4th year that was a team option. Great deal for the Spurs though.

Solid D
07-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Pay for 4 to get 3 (ACL replacement insurance...the lost season).

Avitus1
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Cant wait to watch him this season.

raspsa
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I wonder what the record is for the number of years for a 2nd round pick? Anyone know?

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
According to David Chancellor:

Spurs have signed Blair to a 4yr. 4M dollar contract..

The Spurs must feel the gamble on his knees is well worth the prospect of having him potentially locked up for 4 years at a bargain basement price.

I'm guessing the 4th year is a team option, that the Spurs will have no problem picking up if all goes well, and the guaranteed 3yrs. was enough to please the Blair camp at the end of the day.:tu

ffadicted
07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Spurs are all about the team options past couple of years.

Also, four years for blair would be such a good deal for him, and keeps him on the down low money wise if he turns out to be a stud after a couple of years. That team option on the last is always a great insurance as well

WARRIOR86
07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
This is very good news indeed. I keep hearing that this guy is a monster when he's playing ball, unfortunately I never got to see him play college hoops. Anybody got and videos of him that I can see?

ffadicted
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
This is very good news indeed. I keep hearing that this guy is a monster when he's playing ball, unfortunately I never got to see him play college hoops. Anybody got and videos of him that I can see?

www.youtube.com

www.google.com

:nope

raspsa
07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Now all Blair has to do is stay healthy and deliver on his promise to make the other teams pay.. when the time comes to extend his contract, he'll be a rich young man and Happy will be even happier.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I wonder what the record is for the number of years for a 2nd round pick? Anyone know?

The rules on how many years you're allowed to sign players for has changed over the years so it would be quite a research project to figure that out. Under the current cba 5 years is the most years a team would be allowed to give, but I don't think anyone has done that so I'd assume 4 is the record under the current CBA. I know the suns gave Goran Dragic 4 years just last year so the Spurs would be tying that record with Blair's contract.

duncan228
07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Anybody got and videos of him that I can see?

hPPnfXuYgzU

NxxqEKssvgI

benefactor
07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Wow...4 years? That is pretty unheard of, but at the same time it is great for the Spurs. In two years they could have a heavy rotation player on the cheap...or maybe as early as next season. :tu

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Also, four years for blair would be such a good deal for him, and keeps him on the down low money wise if he turns out to be a stud after a couple of years. That team option on the last is always a great insurance as well

The 4M sounds like a lot but if you take the case of someone like Boozer, for example, you've got him under contract at a real bargain for 4yrs. and don't have to worry about the big payday after 2yrs.

Plus, the good faith the Spurs have exhibited with the guaranteed 3yrs., after no one else was even willing to take a chance for 36 picks, allows Blair to become the good/loyal soldier.:tu

duncan228
07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Spurs get Blair under contract (UPDATED with Blair comments) (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/spurs-get-blair.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Contract in hand, DeJuan Blair is ready to return to summer league action.

The Spurs have come to contract terms with Blair, the No. 37 overall pick in the June draft. Blair announced the completion of the deal on a televised interview with ESPN this morning. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has confirmed the news.

The Spurs held Blair out of Tuesday's summer-league victory over Denver, in part to allow him to tie up the loose ends on his contract.

According to reports, Blair's deal is guaranteed for three years at a total of $2.7 million. He is expected to sign sometime before 5:30 p.m. Las Vegas time, when the Spurs tip off their next summer league game against Oklahoma City.

UPDATE: See the Spurs' official announcement here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090716_blair.html).

UPDATE2: Blair said before tonight's summer league game against Oklahoma City said the finalization of his deal was welcome, but expected, news. "It's nice to have it taken care of," Blair said. "I knew it was going to happen. It was just a matter of when."

And yes, Spurs fans, Blair is playing against the Thunder. In fact, he's in the starting lineup.

raspsa
07-16-2009, 07:54 PM
The rules on how many years you're allowed to sign players for has changed over the years so it would be quite a research project to figure that out. Under the current cba 5 years is the most years a team would be allowed to give, but I don't think anyone has done that so I'd assume 4 is the record under the current CBA. I know the suns gave Goran Dragic 4 years just last year so the Spurs would be tying that record with Blair's contract.

Thanks.. I think the Spurs got the better player though..

Spurtacus
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
based on his summer league stats this is well worth.

GSH
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing that Blair's biggest concern was/is financial security. He would want a deal that would give the most guaranteed dollars - maybe even if it meant taking an extra year or even two at a discounted rate. A guarantee would be worth some potential upside. The only reason I could see him agreeing to any team option would be in exchange for a larger guarantee in the first years.

If the deal is for 4 years, I think all 4 will be guaranteed, for this reason:

A 4-year contract of about $880K, with max raises, would total out to around $4m. But a contract of 4 or more years can be re-negotiated after the end of the third season. (Contracts of 3 or less years cannot be re-negotiated.) So by stretching the deal to 4 years, the Spurs can guarantee Blair $4M, which would give him the security he needs, and still minimize the team's expense this season. At the end of 3 years, if both sides are happy and healthy, the deal could be re-negotiated for more money, and more years.

Blair gets financial security, plus potential upside. The Spurs get a good (and happy) player, at a very good price, without breaking their player budget this year or the next. If this isn't what they are doing, it probably should be.

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing that Blair's biggest concern was/is financial security. He would want a deal that would give the most guaranteed dollars - maybe even if it meant taking an extra year or even two at a discounted rate. A guarantee would be worth some potential upside. The only reason I could see him agreeing to any team option would be in exchange for a larger guarantee in the first years.

If the deal is for 4 years, I think all 4 will be guaranteed, for this reason:

A 4-year contract of about $880K, with max raises, would total out to around $4m. But a contract of 4 or more years can be re-negotiated after the end of the third season. (Contracts of 3 or less years cannot be re-negotiated.) So by stretching the deal to 4 years, the Spurs can guarantee Blair $4M, which would give him the security he needs, and still minimize the team's expense this season. At the end of 3 years, if both sides are happy and healthy, the deal could be re-negotiated for more money, and more years.

Blair gets financial security, plus potential upside. The Spurs get a good (and happy) player, at a very good price, without breaking their player budget this year or the next. If this isn't what they are doing, it probably should be.

News 4 did report that they'd confirmed through sources that the contract was a 4yr. 4M dollar contract. Whether that 4th is a TO or not, I'm not sure, but what you suggest is certainly logical.

Basically, Blair gets the security and good faith of an organization on a more than fair contract for a 37th overall pick, and the Spurs make a low-risk/high-reward gamble on a lottery talent's questionable health.

It's a win/win if you ask me.:tu

timvp
07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
If he stays healthy, this could be an amazing bargain in a few years.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah, they think he's that good. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129753)

timvp
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm glad the Spurs didn't go the cheap and safe route. They could have very easily said that they weren't going to offer him more than the minimum due to his injury concerns. With the restricted free agent rules, they likely wouldn't have lost him even if he had a good season.

But giving him money now keeps the excitement in the situation, keeps the goodwill between the Spurs and Blair high and potentially could lead to a few years of Blair at a bargain basement price. There's risk for the Spurs that they didn't need to take on but this was definitely the right move for many reasons.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm glad the Spurs didn't go the cheap and safe route. They could have very easily said that they weren't going to offer him more than the minimum due to his injury concerns. With the restricted free agent rules, they likely wouldn't have lost him even if he had a good season.

But giving him money now keeps the excitement in the situation, keeps the goodwill between the Spurs and Blair high and potentially could lead to a few years of Blair at a bargain basement price. There's risk for the Spurs that they didn't need to take on but this was definitely the right move for many reasons.

Everything the Spurs have done so far with Blair seems to be with the intent of cultivating his loyalty. A passionate young guy with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove seems like an invaluable energy player and exactly what a veteran team needs.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Damn. There might be life after 2012.

Spurs_210
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Definitely a good investment that I see paying off. The Spurs paid him now and kept him happy and I'm sure it will pay dividends. Blair is a beast who plays with a lot heart. Will be nice to see the spark he will bring off the bench.

raspsa
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Blair is a solid citizen, a down-to-earth kid with a great attitude. Putting him in the Spurs system under Pop's tutelage and learning the game from vets like TD, Big Mac, Manu.. and now with a 4-year contract in hand.. a big WIN-WIN for everyone.

Bruno
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm quite torn if a 4 years contract is better than a 3 years contract.
Blair will be locked one more year on the cheap but he will be an UFA instead of a RFA at the end of his rookie deal.

timvp reported deal for McDyess correspond fit with realgm's data and there were a report form yahoo saying that he signed a 2 years/$11.7M contract.

For Blair contract, realgm has a 4 years contract with a starting salary in the $850K area.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Blair will be locked one more year on the cheap but he will be an UFA instead of a RFA at the end of his rookie deal.

Loyalty is pretty valuable to the right people, and is usually returned.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
#28 Mahinmi

#28 Splitter

#37 Blair

Spurs have drafted a nice trio of bigman talent with no picks higher than the 28th pick.

timvp
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Blair will be locked one more year on the cheap but he will be an UFA instead of a RFA at the end of his rookie deal.What's the possibility of giving him an extension prior to going into the fourth season? You bring up a good point, though.

timvp reported deal for McDyess correspond fit with realgm's data and there were a report form yahoo saying that he signed a 2 years/$11.7M contract. Interesting. I still haven't verified that his contract is structured that way. But a lot of the puzzle pieces around it seem to fit.

For Blair contract, realgm has a 4 years contract with a starting salary in the $850K area.So they could sign Gist, McClinton or another rookie to a slightly above the minimum contract for longer than two years. That's a useful tool to have.

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM

timvp reported deal for McDyess correspond fit with realgm's data and there were a report form yahoo saying that he signed a 2 years/$11.7M contract.

For Blair contract, realgm has a 4 years contract with a starting salary in the $850K area.

Do we know that the 4th year isn't a TO?

Even if it's guaranteed, though, and he does become a UFA, the Spurs would be able to pay him more than anyone else and will have probably built up enough good faith/loyalty with the Spurs after the commitment they made to him today; a commitment no one else for 36 picks would.

I like that the contract extends 4yrs. on the cheap, especially considering the question-marks of his longevity, so it seems a pretty wise move across the board on the Spurs' behalf..

Bruno
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM
What's the possibility of giving him an extension prior to going into the fourth season?

Outside of extensions for first round picks, the max salary for the first year of an extension is 110.5% of the previous salary.
I doubt Blair will sign an extension with a yearly salary in the $1.2M area.

timvp
07-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Outside of extensions for first round picks, the max salary for the first year of an extension is 110.5% of the previous salary.
I doubt Blair will sign an extension with a yearly salary in the $1.2M area.

Thanks for the info. You can scratch the extension idea off the list.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait until the summer of 2013. Hopefully not having him restricted looks like bad foresight due to him being offered maximum contracts :downspin:

duncan228
07-16-2009, 11:28 PM
More on Blair's contract (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/more-on-blairs.html)
By Jeff McDonald

It's actually a four-year deal, with the fourth year partially guaranteed. The fully guaranteed value of $2.7 million is still believed to be correct.

The Spurs used the remainder of their mid-level exception to pay Blair, meaning free agent Antonio McDyess obviously signed for less than previously reported. He's probably somewhere in the $4.2 range, based on Blair's contract.

timvp
07-16-2009, 11:31 PM
More on Blair's contract (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/more-on-blairs.html)
By Jeff McDonald

It's actually a four-year deal, with the fourth year partially guaranteed. The fully guaranteed value of $2.7 million is still believed to be correct.How could that be right? $2.7 million guaranteed over four years? Unless Blair's agent got his nickname by making the people he negotiates with happy, Blair had to get more than that ... right?

The Spurs used the remainder of their mid-level exception to pay Blair, meaning free agent Antonio McDyess obviously signed for less than previously reported. He's probably somewhere in the $4.2 range, based on Blair's contract.

Bad math.

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 11:37 PM
By Jeff McDonald

It's actually a four-year deal, with the fourth year partially guaranteed. The fully guaranteed value of $2.7 million is still believed to be correct.

So the life of the contract has the potential to be 4M but is only guaranteed 2.7M, does that sound right?

1.3M potentially in the final year?

I tend to believe News 4 had the right numbers, even if not the partially-guaranteed details, so that 2.7M leaves me a little skeptical.

Does that sound right to you cap-ologists?

timvp
07-16-2009, 11:45 PM
So the life of the contract has the potential to be 4M but is only guaranteed 2.7M, does that sound right?

1.3M potentially in the final year?

I tend to believe News 4 had the right numbers, even if not the partially-guaranteed details, so that 2.7M leaves me a little skeptical.

Does that sound right to you cap-ologists?

From my calculations, it's possible for him to have a 4-year contract worth $3.87M with $2.78M guaranteed through three years and the fourth year worth $1.08M. That gets close to all the different numbers we have rolling in ... except for the partially guaranteed fourth-year part.

duncan228
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Contract in hand, Blair dominates Vegas again (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Contract_in_hand_Blair_dominates_Vegas_again.html)
Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS — The Spurs took care of the final piece of their offseason puzzle Thursday, locking up rookie forward DeJuan Blair to a long-term contract.

Blair, a consensus All-American drafted No. 37 overall out of Pittsburgh, signed a four-year deal believed to be worth $2.7 million. The fourth year carries a partial guarantee.

It's a hefty price tag for a second-round pick. If Blair performs like the lottery-worthy talent the Spurs believe he can be, it will be well worth it.

“It's nice to have it taken care of,” Blair said. “I knew it was going to happen. It was just a matter of when.”

The Spurs had held Blair out of Tuesday's summer league victory against Denver while they worked with Blair and his agent to finalize the agreement.

Contract in hand, Blair returned to action in the NBA Summer League, leaving his stamp on the Spurs' 85-76 victory over Oklahoma City at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center.

In his second consecutive impressive summer league outing, Blair scored 20 points against the Thunder to go with five rebounds. He shot 8 of 11 from the field and was 4 for 4 from the foul line.

In the process, he flashed an element to his game previously unseen in the summer league. Apparently, the rebounding machine can score as well.

In his double-double debut against New Orleans earlier in the week, Blair did most of his work on the glass, getting three of his four field goals on putbacks.

Against Oklahoma City, Blair did his dirty work on the blocks, scoring on a series of nifty post moves. He got his first basket of the game, meanwhile, by taking Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka off the dribble.

It was a good day for Blair, made better by what he did before ever entering the arena Thursday. By signing his first NBA contract, Blair made his own day.

“It's everything I've ever dreamed of,” Blair said. “I thank God every night before I go to sleep for putting me in this situation. I didn't go where I wanted to go (in the draft), but I fell in the perfect place.”

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
From my calculations, it's possible for him to have a 4-year contract worth $3.87M with $2.78M guaranteed through three years and the fourth year worth $1.08M. That gets close to all the different numbers we have rolling in ... except for the partially guaranteed fourth-year part.

:tu

When I heard Chancellor announce that they'd learned from a source that it was a 4yr-4M dollar contract, I got the feeling they actually had credible intell. Harris does have a couple of "ins" that it seems no other local guy has with the team, so I tend to give this more credence than McDonald.

4M could've just been the rounded-up number of 3.87M you suggest, so I'm pretty sure your pretty close on the numbers.

timvp
07-16-2009, 11:57 PM
The Spurs had held Blair out of Tuesday's summer league victory against Denver while they worked with Blair and his agent to finalize the agreement.

Exactly. Although the newbs for some reason don't want to believe it, the Spurs were the ones who held out Blair. Blair thought he was going to play.

Blackjack
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
“It's everything I've ever dreamed of,” Blair said. “I thank God every night before I go to sleep for putting me in this situation. I didn't go where I wanted to go (in the draft), but I fell in the perfect place.”

How in the hell did the Spurs end up with this guy..:elephant

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Varner's initial take:

DeJuan Blair’s Contract

DeJuan Blair signed with the Spurs today. The Spurs do not release contract information. We’re always left to sniff around. One non-Spurs source is reporting that the contract is a guaranteed 2.7 million over 3 years. If true, that’s a great deal for Blair and the Spurs.

But attentive fans will scratch their heads over this deal. I’m thinking out loud here, but follow me.

Second round picks are typically paid from the minimum salary exception, which can not be the case here. Blair’s annual salary exceeds the minimum (if I read DX correctly, that number is 457,588.) Blair signed a 3 year deal, which rules out the BAE. The bi-annual is capped at two years length.

As we all know by now, the Spurs are over cap, and we’ve already ruled out the lower level exception. That leaves the Spurs with the mid-level–but that was reportedly paid in full to Antonio McDyess. Hmm. Something doesn’t jibe.

A simple process of elimination leads me to believe that San Antonio did not pay McDyess the full MLE. Instead, they left just enough to give DeJuan Blair a sweetened contract, one comparable to a player drafted in the late first round.

Why? The Spurs get Blair for an additional season at bargain prices. Blair gets more money than a 37th pick typically commands, and the Spurs get a young, healthy DeJuan Blair on a three year steal . Everyone comes out ahead.

And Antonio McDyess? This is only conjecture, but I’d guess his third year partial guarantee is sizable. Sizable enough for him to take less over the first two years of his deal. It’s widely assumed that McDyess will retire after two seasons, which means the Spurs can trade him two summers from now much like they did with Bruce Bowen this season. He won’t be a true expiring, but the actual value of his contract will be less than it’s trade value.

But as I said, I’m merely trying to connect the dots. Maybe you can help me. Am I missing something? Is the Blair number incorrect?

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/16/dejuan-blairs-contract/

Bruno
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
After looking more closely at the numbers, realgm has a starting salary for Blair between $844K and $869K.
With max raises, it makes a 3 years contract between $2.73M and $2.82M.
The 4th year is between $1.05M and $1.08M.

peskypesky
07-17-2009, 12:21 AM

Most definitely. He's worth a LOT more than that. We lucked out in the draft for sure.

:flag:

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

completely deck
07-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Exactly. Although the newbs for some reason don't want to believe it, the Spurs were the ones who held out Blair. Blair thought he was going to play.

I didn't think there was any question. He tweeted a few hours before that game and said "game day!!! nothing better then playing basketball against people that are just as competitive as me.7:08 PM Jul 14th (http://twitter.com/DeJuan45/status/2641764083) from mobile web (http://twitterhelp.blogspot.com/2008/05/twitter-via-mobile-web-mtwittercom.html)"

So....

Vic Petro
07-17-2009, 01:47 AM
It's a 4 year dear per Happy Walters.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_634105.html

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 01:55 AM
It's a 4 year dear per Happy Walters.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_634105.html

Nice find, Vic.:tu

Former Pitt forward DeJuan Blair signed his first professional contract Thursday, agreeing to a four-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs worth nearly $4 million, according to his agent Happy Walters.

Walters said three years and nearly $3 million of the contract were guaranteed by the Spurs.

Nice call, timvp and Bruno.:tu

angelbelow
07-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Thats a very nice deal, so the 4th year is a team option then?

GSH
07-17-2009, 02:33 AM
Whether the fourth year is an option or not, after 3 seasons the Spurs would have Bird rights, which means they could sign him as a free agent for up to the max salary, even if they are over the cap. If Blair's contract is for 4 years, they can re-negotiate after the end of the third season - but only if the team is under the cap at that time.

I also think we can assume that Blair's and McDyess' contracts together take up the full MLE. (That assumes that McDyess didn't take a lot less money to come play here.) If Blair starts at roughly $850K, that would leave $5M for McDyess.

That would mean that McDyess would be guaranteed $5M this year, $5.4M the second, and $2.92M the third year. (50% of 5.84M) The present value of that deal would be about $1M more than the present value of the 2-year deal for full MLE. Assuming that he doesn't play the third year, the Spurs would be able to trade him for a $7.3M player. The acquiring team could pay his $2.92M guarantee, and shed $4.38M worth of salary. That's a good deal for everyone. McDyess pockets an extra $1M above the MLE, and the Spurs get a good trade piece for the 2011-2012 season.

The math doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. If McDyess doesn't get the full $5M left over after Blair's salary, his third year would just about have to be fully guaranteed - or else he would be playing for a significant discount, compared to what he would have gotten elsewhere. I don't think that there can be any MLE money left over, as was being discussed earlier.

Pucho!!!
07-17-2009, 03:40 AM
anyone know if the 4th year is a player or team option? I'm pretty sure its a team, but I just wanna make sure

koriwhat
07-17-2009, 03:48 AM
fuck the semantics and mathematics!

GO BLAIR GO! GO SPURS GO! GO BLAIR GO! GO SPURS GO!

dude is awesome in these SL games. $15 was way worth it. :flag:

timvp
07-17-2009, 03:57 AM
On the day he signed a 4-year, $3.8 million contract, DeJuan Blair gave the Spurs a good look at their investment against the Thunder, scoring 20 points on 13 possessions. Blair battled underneath all afternoon, muscling up for putbacks. But there was more to Blair's repertoire, including some wily dribble moves from the top of the key. "They shouldn't have passed on me," Blair said of the Thunder.

Walters said three years and nearly $3 million of the contract were guaranteed by the Spurs.

Now with this information, the contract I laid out looks to be correct.

2009-10: $856,000
2010-11: $925,000
2011-12: $993,000
2012-13: $1,061,000

The total value of this contract is $3,835,000. Subtracting the last season (which is likely a team option), the value is $2,774,000.

Looks like this scenario fits with most of the reports we are currently seeing.

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2009, 04:09 AM
dude is seriously underpaid if he peaks early in those 4yrs...

GSH
07-17-2009, 04:22 AM
dude is seriously underpaid if he peaks early in those 4yrs...

And if he makes one bad stop or pivot on the floor, he could be out for a season. Maybe even a career. He just got a guarantee of $4 Million, which means financial security if he handles his life right. He did the smart thing, instead of rolling the dice, which says a lot about him.

I don't know about when he might peak, but I think he's already good enough to be a bargain at the first year salary amount. But discounted for the risk? If he performs well, and stays healthy, it's not so much a bargain as a reward for taking the risk.

I think they reached a deal that serves both sides well.

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info. You can scratch the extension idea off the list.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait until the summer of 2013. Hopefully not having him restricted looks like bad foresight due to him being offered maximum contracts :downspin:

I don't think the Spurs are concerned about whether or not Blair is a restricted free agent or not as much as they're concerned about what effect Blair's contract situation would have on potential cap-space in 2012 when Tim Duncan's contract comes off the books. A 3 year deal means that in 2012 you're trying to re-sign Blair and chase a max contract free agent at the same time. With a 4 year deal you get to chase your max contract free agent with Blair still locked up cheap and then Blair gets his turn in 2013 when you presumabely won't have cap space because you signed a max contract guy, but it doesn't matter because you've got Bird rights on Blair.

peskypesky
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
And if he makes one bad stop or pivot on the floor, he could be out for a season. Maybe even a career. He just got a guarantee of $4 Million, which means financial security if he handles his life right. He did the smart thing, instead of rolling the dice, which says a lot about him.

I don't know about when he might peak, but I think he's already good enough to be a bargain at the first year salary amount. But discounted for the risk? If he performs well, and stays healthy, it's not so much a bargain as a reward for taking the risk.

I think they reached a deal that serves both sides well.

great deal for the Spurs. good deal for Blair.

i am fucking PSYCHED for next season. fucking PSYCHED. The Twin Towers are back, mofos! (Even if one of the towers is more like a mid-rise).

StoneBuddha
07-17-2009, 01:06 PM
great deal for the Spurs. good deal for Blair.

i am fucking PSYCHED for next season. fucking PSYCHED. The Twin Towers are back, mofos! (Even if one of the towers is more like a mid-rise).

:lmao