PDA

View Full Version : “We're ready to kick some ass,”........“I couldn't be more excited.”

Sii
07-16-2009, 09:33 AM
“We're ready to kick some ass,” Peter Holt said. “I couldn't be more excited.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_trying_for_best_team_money_can_buy.html

:hat

:toast

MoSpur
07-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow. He seems very excited and I am sure guys like Tim, Tony, and Manu appreciate that and feed off of that.

BuzzerBeater
07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
It's like a call to arms. The Peter Holt battle cry! Not original but exactly the words I needed to hear after a dismal (for Spurs fans) early exit from the playoffs.

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Here, here! :toast That should be the Spurs slogan for 09-10 season.

hater
07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
goddam!!! this is some exciting shit.

Summers
07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

I love it.

Rebounds
07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Gee, me too, I don't ever recall thinking about drinking so early in the day I'm so pumped like it's 1999!!!!:downspin:

BuzzerBeater
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Yeahhhhh......GREAT IDEA! Simple and fits right right there with "Go Spurs Go"
:flag:

Yogurt210
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
can someone post the article?

SenorSpur
07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Talk that stuff, HoltCat.

Here's to you and here's hoping your investment pays off with you hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in June. :toast

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
can someone post the article?

LAS VEGAS — When Spurs majority owner Peter Holt walked into the room for the NBA Board of Governors meeting here earlier this week, he was greeted with a cacophony of catcalls and good-natured ribbing.

His fellow owners couldn't believe the supposedly thrifty Holt had signed off on one of the most expensive offseason makeovers in recent Spurs memory.

“They all think I'm cheap as hell,” Holt said.

Not anymore. In the span of less than a month, Holt and his ownership group have done some serious damage to their miserly reputation.

In the eye of an uncertain economy that prompted many NBA teams to put a lock on their wallets this offseason, the Spurs went barreling past the luxury tax threshold to acquire Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

The Spurs already are about $8 million over the dollar-for-dollar tax line, with still more roster pieces to add. The final tariff bill is likely to breach $10 million, on top of a payroll pushing $80 million.

In his first interview since the offseason began, Holt this week explained the reasoning behind the Spurs' out-of-character summertime spending spree. In Vegas terms, it was time to go all in.

“We strongly feel we've got a real opportunity here at the end of the Tim Duncan era,” Holt said before the start of a Spurs summer league game. “If you're in this business long-term, you've got to take care of the opportunities that come up. Even though short-term, it's going to cost you some real money.”

The Spurs, indeed, have been spending real money this summer. It's only looked like Monopoly money.

They took on the remaining $29.2 million owed Jefferson, who came over in a June 23 trade with Milwaukee. They spent the full $5.8 million mid-level exception on McDyess, a figure that comes out closer to $11 million after taxes.

They still are in healthy negotiations with draftee DeJuan Blair, a lottery-caliber talent who's likely to command more than the garden-variety second-round pick.

All of it is part of a rebuilding project the Spurs front office deemed necessary in the wake of a first-round playoff ouster against Dallas, in order to maximize the final years of Duncan's career.

Duncan, an 11-time All-Star, is under contract through 2011-2012.

“Our owners have been committed to putting a team on the floor that can compete to win a championship,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that.”

Few would have blamed Holt for pulling in his horns this summer. His ownership group, which took over in 1993, already had overseen four NBA championships — or four more than any previous ownership group.

It has been a good run.

Confronted with the same financial slump that has ravaged the coffers of nearly every NBA owner — just this week the league office announced that half its teams were in the red last year — Holt could have decided to take his Larry O'Brien trophies and cash out.

Instead, he bellied back up to the poker table, looking for one last score. Like most high-stakes gambles, it's a strategy not for the faint of heart.

“I'm not saying we're all not worried,” Holt said. “There's no crystal ball when it comes to the economy.”

In the face of a frightening horde of economic down arrows, Holt fell back on a business adage older than Forbes itself. You've got to spend money to make money.

At the box office, there are signs his investment is already paying off. Holt says he's noticed a drastic uptick in ticket sales since the Jefferson trade on June 23.

He says the team is up to a 71 percent renewal rate on season tickets, about a month off last year's pace but still a dramatic increase over earlier in the summer.

“All of a sudden, the fans seem re-energized,” Holt said.

The Spurs' No. 1 fan seems re-energized as well. Leaning back in his chair at UNLV's Cox Pavilion this week, Holt was relaxed and confident, eager for the days to come.

He had the look of a man who had pushed his chips to the center of the table, and knew he was sitting on a winning hand.

“We're ready to kick some ass,” Holt said. “I couldn't be more excited.”

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

LAS VEGAS — When Spurs majority owner Peter Holt walked into the room for the NBA Board of Governors meeting here earlier this week, he was greeted with a cacophony of catcalls and good-natured ribbing.

His fellow owners couldn't believe the supposedly thrifty Holt had signed off on one of the most expensive offseason makeovers in recent Spurs memory.

Not anymore. In the span of less than a month, Holt and his ownership group have done some serious damage to their miserly reputation.

In the eye of an uncertain economy that prompted many NBA teams to put a lock on their wallets this offseason, the Spurs went barreling past the luxury tax threshold to acquire Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

The Spurs already are about $8 million over the dollar-for-dollar tax line, with still more roster pieces to add. The final tariff bill is likely to breach $10 million, on top of a payroll pushing $80 million.

In his first interview since the offseason began, Holt this week explained the reasoning behind the Spurs' out-of-character summertime spending spree. In Vegas terms, it was time to go all in.

“We strongly feel we've got a real opportunity here at the end of the Tim Duncan era,” Holt said before the start of a Spurs summer league game. “If you're in this business long-term, you've got to take care of the opportunities that come up. Even though short-term, it's going to cost you some real money.”

The Spurs, indeed, have been spending real money this summer. It's only looked like Monopoly money.

They took on the remaining $29.2 million owed Jefferson, who came over in a June 23 trade with Milwaukee. They spent the full $5.8 million mid-level exception on McDyess, a figure that comes out closer to $11 million after taxes.

They still are in healthy negotiations with draftee DeJuan Blair, a lottery-caliber talent who's likely to command more than the garden-variety second-round pick.

All of it is part of a rebuilding project the Spurs front office deemed necessary in the wake of a first-round playoff ouster against Dallas, in order to maximize the final years of Duncan's career.

Duncan, an 11-time All-Star, is under contract through 2011-2012.

“Our owners have been committed to putting a team on the floor that can compete to win a championship,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that.”

Few would have blamed Holt for pulling in his horns this summer. His ownership group, which took over in 1993, already had overseen four NBA championships — or four more than any previous ownership group.

It has been a good run.

Confronted with the same financial slump that has ravaged the coffers of nearly every NBA owner — just this week the league office announced that half its teams were in the red last year — Holt could have decided to take his Larry O'Brien trophies and cash out.

Instead, he bellied back up to the poker table, looking for one last score. Like most high-stakes gambles, it's a strategy not for the faint of heart.

“I'm not saying we're all not worried,” Holt said. “There's no crystal ball when it comes to the economy.”

In the face of a frightening horde of economic down arrows, Holt fell back on a business adage older than Forbes itself. You've got to spend money to make money.

At the box office, there are signs his investment is already paying off. Holt says he's noticed a drastic uptick in ticket sales since the Jefferson trade on June 23.

He says the team is up to a 71 percent renewal rate on season tickets, about a month off last year's pace but still a dramatic increase over earlier in the summer.

“All of a sudden, the fans seem re-energized,” Holt said.

The Spurs' No. 1 fan seems re-energized as well. Leaning back in his chair at UNLV's Cox Pavilion this week, Holt was relaxed and confident, eager for the days to come.

He had the look of a man who had pushed his chips to the center of the table, and knew he was sitting on a winning hand.

“We're ready to kick some ass,” Holt said. “I couldn't be more excited.”

What gave him that idea?? :lmao

timaios
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131381

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Oh well, I'm sure the threads will get merged. :lol It's just that Holt has made us so excited for the new season!!!

baseline bum
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
It's nice to have an owner who is a fan without being the jackass at the arena that Cuban and Sarver have been.

Malice
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
if you cant get excited after hearing that! damn! Lets get this shit started!

Death In June
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I hope Holt isn't done kicking ass. We could stand to upgrade at C and backup SF, and there are plenty of relatively good/cheap options. But, reading into various quotes from the organization, they seem content to stop here.

Spursfan092120
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
goddam!!! this is some exciting shit.
No shit...I got chills reading that....this really should be the slogan...go from "Come Together" to "We're ready to kick some ass."

JudynTX
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
No shit...I got chills reading that....this really should be the slogan...go from "Come Together" to "We're ready to kick some ass."

:tu I wish someone would put that on a tshirt so we can buy them.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Good, hopefully the Lakeshow will have some competition this season :toast

SonOfAGun
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
This is going to be a special year.

Spur|n|Austin
07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Exciting times indeed. I pray for no injuries.

ffadicted
07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Peter is the ma'fuggin man

I'm pumped, only 107 days left

pawe
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I am really convinced that the Spurs will make a lot of noise this year.
We got new more destructive weapons this time sir!

SpursFanInAustin
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
This reminds me of Pop at the 2007 championship celebration at the Riverwalk when he got on the mic and yelled out "We kicked ass!"

Sigz
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM

haha

DJB
07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Get your flags up Spurs fans.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag: