PDA

View Full Version : So Lamar Odom is going to sign with Miami for less money and more years?

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Do the Lakers have some of the dumbest free agents or what?

First Trevor leaves to sign with a lotto team for less money. Ok that was understandable, he was trying to play hardball with his agent and the Lakers pulled a fast one on him by getting Ron Ron instead.

Now LO is likely going to jump ship for Miami. NOT for a better offer though, he's getting considerably less money (i.e. MLE) than he would in LA. I just don't get why these athletes are so completely retarded when it comes down to business negotiations.

Someone needs to bring a calculator, pencil, and sheet of paper to LO and spell this out for him.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
BTW for those who want to know the math here goes:

36 million at 4 years is more than 33 at 5 years (Miami offer). You work 1 extra year and get 3 mill approx. less.

This is a no brainer sign in LA if we can believe these numbers.

Why So Serious
i'd be pissed if he did such a thing.

rayray2k8
It's 38 million. He want's what Marion got..
That 2 extra million means something....

:lmao

ElNono
07-16-2009, 10:35 AM

36 million at 4 years is more than 33 at 5 years (Miami offer). You work 1 extra year and get 3 mill approx. less.

That offer is no longer on the table. He's cutting loses and moving on. Good for Lamar that at least he could find something competitive to fall back to.

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Something that brings the two deals a bit closer is the fact that he won't pay state income tax for the majority of the games he plays in a Heat uniform. I know that the deal from the Lakers is still significantly better, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

LnGrrrR
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM

First Trevor leaves to sign with a lotto team for less money. Ok that was understandable, he was trying to play hardball with his agent and the Lakers pulled a fast one on him by getting Ron Ron instead.

Now LO is likely going to jump ship for Miami. NOT for a better offer though, he's getting considerably less money (i.e. MLE) than he would in LA. I just don't get why these athletes are so completely retarded when it comes down to business negotiations.

Someone needs to bring a calculator, pencil, and sheet of paper to LO and spell this out for him.

Maybe they're all leaving because they're tired of LA life. :D

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Something that brings the two deals a bit closer is the fact that he won't pay state income tax for the majority of the games he plays in a Heat uniform. I know that the deal from the Lakers is still significantly better, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Let me get this straight.

Lamar is going to move all the way across the country, uproot his family, leave a franchise and fanbase that loves him, give up the chance to defend his championship title, TO GO PLAY FOR ULTIMATELY LESS MONEY?

Is this not the epitome of stupidity?

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
It's 38 million. He want's what Marion got..
That 2 extra million means something....

:lmao

It's not $38 million dum dum. The Heat offer is MLE over 5 years, $34 million.

Muser
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Lamar likes Miami more than L.A?

K-State Spur
07-16-2009, 10:42 AM

instead of the laker deal being 40% better annually, it's closer to 25% after state income tax is accounted for. then if you take into account that cost of living in miami is about another 5-10% less (it was actually 20% higher than LA, but Miami's COL has gotten drilled like nobody else in the recession). So it's about a 20% difference overall.

still not a wise decision from purely financial perspective.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Burn Notice films in Miami. Don't underestimate the draw of being in the same city as the one and only Bruce Campbell.

Streakyshooter08
Through this whole process I really had the feeling, that this thing is more than just about money. Who knows what is really going on behind the scenes? I still think there is a chance he ends up resigning in LA.

Kamnik
07-16-2009, 10:44 AM
We don't know everything that is happening in the background. Only certain information leaks out to the public and even that one is not always 100% true.

I would not call him stupid just yet.

Double-Up
07-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Yea you make valid points, I'm not sure what the fuck is wrong with your free agents. Artest could have gotten more than the MLE I believe, he's worth about what Marion is but didn't even play the market. Ariza chose to go to Houston for the same amount of money and leave a championship team, and LO is bluffing to get more paper because he isn't gonna sign for the MLE...I guess you can blame it on the recession.

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

I was thinking that as well. I think Riley would be more apt to stroke Lamar's ego and he may be thinking that he will have the opportunity to start alongside a player with Kobe's talent minus the abrasiveness.

ducks
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

he must think those nude beaches are more attractive

and maybe he thinks phil jackson is going to retire next year and does not like kurt

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
You guys are right, something just doesn't add up.

If Odom walks for the MLE to Miami he is leaving a LOT on the table. A chance to cement his name in the history books as a Laker great, a chance to play with his longtime friend Ron Artest, a chance to defend his title. He's leaving a city he has always said he loved for what?

I know he likes Miami too and he and Wade are close, but he's not getting more money and he won't have a chance to win a championship like he would in LA. It just doesn't make sense to me based on what we know.

sonic21
07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
One thing Miami has over LA is no state income taxe

$5.8 m in miami is closer to a $7 m salary in LA

spursfaninla
07-16-2009, 10:49 AM
1) LO lived in Miami before, so it would be less stressful for his family to move there again.
2) Miami has Dwade, a pretty good player who has a championship as well, and is younger than Kobe.
3) He wants to live near the ocean, limits options.
4) Laker deal was off the table, as it was said. They sort of burned their bridges by doing that...I think it offended Lamar. They F'ed up, admit it.
5) Probably he does not like the team/players...I bet he gets whipping boy treatment from Phil, for instance, who has a history of treating side-kicks in similar fashion.
6) Kobe: need I say more?

Lamar is acting completely rational. He wants a shot at a bigger contract next time, and he will get it as the second option in Miami. He will not as the 3rd, probably 4th option in LA.

LakeShow
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I still thinks he signs with the lakers but he definitely fucked up. I don't see the lakers letting him go for what he is being offered from other teams. Buss will not give him 9 million now, imo.

Kobe's involved now so maybe he can bring all to their senses.

Double-Up
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
One thing Miami has over LA is no state income taxe

$5.8 m in miami is closer to a $7 m salary in LA

Good point, maybe that's why Ariza came to Houston?

ducks
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

If Odom walks for the MLE to Miami he is leaving a LOT on the table. A chance to cement his name in the history books as a Laker great, a chance to play with his longtime friend Ron Artest, a chance to defend his title. He's leaving a city he has always said he loved for what?

I know he likes Miami too and he and Wade are close, but he's not getting more money and he won't have a chance to win a championship like he would in LA. It just doesn't make sense to me based on what we know.

boozer,oneal,chambers, wade,odom are going to playoffs
that lineup could get them very deep in playoffs

baseline bum
07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
No way he follows through with his threat to bolt. I have seen him do some incredibly stupid things on the floor, but not even he could be dumb enough to take that paycut just out of spite. I'd be shocked if he isn't a Laker two weeks from now.

robbie380
07-16-2009, 10:53 AM

you do the math after the 10% state income tax in california. :rolleyes:rolleyes

LnGrrrR
07-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Maybe he's tired of Kobe... :lol

johngateswhiteley
07-16-2009, 10:57 AM
i thought odom might leave after this season and it wouldn't just be about money. watching the lakers...i don't think he likes kobe and a couple of the other players.

that being said, who knows what'll happen...

Phillip
07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Sucks for both sides because Odom gets less money, and the Lakers now are no longer the favorites to win it all. I'd say right now, the Celtics have that title.

Cry Havoc
07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Evidently L.A. isn't the fantasy candy land that every player dreams of playing in like you Laker fan brag about so much.

Must suck to have to come crashing down to reality. :lmao

LakeShow
07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Crashing down to reality?

Reallity: 15 rings, faggot :lol

carrao45
07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Did i miss something? Since when is he LIKELY going to Miami?

ATRAIN
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
burn notice films in miami. Don't underestimate the draw of being in the same city as the one and only bruce campbell.

exactly!!!

Stump
07-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Maybe it's as simple as the fact that he was happy in Miami but not in LA.

Cry Havoc
07-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Crashing down to reality?

Reallity: 15 rings, faggot :lol

Yes. All those championships, and yet great players keep streaming out of L.A.

You have all the right in the world to brag about your 'ships, but I find it funny that with all that winning, players continually bolt on you.

JamStone
07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
It's called spite.

Kind of like the senseless threads you made after every Laker playoff win just to be an obnoxious bitch.

Spite.

carrao45
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Burn Notice films in Miami. Don't underestimate the draw of being in the same city as the one and only Bruce Campbell.

Best show on television

mytespurs
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Did i miss something? Since when is he LIKELY going to Miami?

I'm with you. As far as I know, there was an article about the Heat trying to acquite Lamar but no decision has been made as of yet.

Lamar may still come to an agreement with the Lakers. I thought Trevor would be back for sure. I'm shocked he left.

robbie380
07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Sucks for both sides because Odom gets less money, and the Lakers now are no longer the favorites to win it all. I'd say right now, the Celtics have that title.

how does odom get less money when he is taxed less? he makes more in miami with that offer.

Malice
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Gosh, thats a shame...

Go fuck yourself Lakers.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm gonna love watching Dr House's team get punked in the playoffs if Odom leaves this offseason.

Which is a shame, because there actually are a lot of decent Laker fans on this board.

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
It's not $38 million dum dum. The Heat offer is MLE over 5 years, $34 million.

What did I just say? There was a report saying that Odom was looking for the deal that Marion got.. fucking dumbass. :lol

Dunc n Dave
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
how does odom get less money when he is taxed less? he makes more in miami with that offer.

Laker fans are in denial when it comes to income taxes effecting money decisions by NBA players. I guarantee you Odom's agent is showing him the difference in $7 million per year (minus state income tax and high cost of living) and $5.8 million with no income tax isn't that much.

Not to mention the fact that a 5th year is obviously a priority to Odom. He wants long term security over a bigger paycheck now. If he gets injured in year 3 or 4 on a 4 year deal, there won't be any money for him when the contract runs out, being 35 years old and hurt. Whenever this contract runs out (whether it's 4 or 5 years) he'll probably only be able to get the veteran minimum on his final contract, so why not get that 5th year at $8million guaranteed now. No guarantees it will be there on the next contract, if there IS a next contract.

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm with you. As far as I know, there was an article about the Heat trying to acquite Lamar but no decision has been made as of yet.

Lamar may still come to an agreement with the Lakers. I thought Trevor would be back for sure. I'm shocked he left.

There is no report saying that Odom is signing with Miami, DrHouse is freaking out and jumping into conclusions.

07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
another one of these? there should be an official odom thread.

MWILL
07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Does anybody think Odom enough for Dwayne Wade to stay? I don't.

mytespurs
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
There is no report saying that Odom is signing with Miami, DrHouse is freaking out and jumping into conclusions.

I figured as much. Thanks!

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Here's what House is talking about.

Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – Pat Riley has listened to Dwyane Wade(notes) express his unease with the Miami Heat sitting out the Eastern Conference’s arms race this summer. As the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic elevated themselves as championship contenders, the Heat president sold his superstar on patience, promising a plan to surround him with talent for the long run.

Now, the Heat are working furiously to deliver Lamar Odom(notes) and Carlos Boozer(notes) to the shores of Biscayne Bay. The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

The essentials of a possible deal would include Miami sending forward Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorell Wright to Utah. Because Memphis is under the cap, Utah could move Wright’s $2.8 million salary to the Grizzlies and save itself approximately $5.6 million with salary and luxury-tax payments. Memphis would probably get cash and picks for its trouble. The Heat would have to send one more small contract to make the math on the salary exchange work.

Miami could pay Boozer his $12.7 million salary this season and own his Bird rights to sign him to an extension next summer.

The deal isn’t considered imminent, but the Jazz are working hard to find a suitable trade for Boozer. Utah is determined to match the Portland Trail Blazers’ $32 million offer sheet for restricted free agent Paul Millsap(notes). Utah has until the end of the week to match or lose the young power forward to the Blazers. Most league executives believe that Utah will match the offer, regardless of whether they’ve moved Boozer.

Portland is still trying to pry Tayshaun Prince(notes) out of Detroit in a three-way deal with Utah, but Pistons president Joe Dumars hasn’t shown an inclination to move Prince and extend Boozer’s contract, league sources say. Several league executives are dubious of Boozer as a $14 million-a-year player, which his agent, Rob Pelinka, has told teams it will take to sign him to an extension. Miami could be the suitor willing to pay it.

The Los Angeles Lakers’ standoff with Odom is still fluid, but a source close to Odom insists he would probably only leave L.A. for Miami, not the Dallas Mavericks, who are also pursuing him. Odom’s agent is trying to get a five-year, $45 million deal out of the Lakers, who have offered four years and $36 million.

Guess you're shit out of luck, Mav fans.

Culburn369
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Guess you're shit out of luck, Mav fans.

Yes, Spurs fans can rest easy. No more 4-1 ass poundings all over the state of Texas.

IronMexican
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
It would suck to lose him. Oh wells.

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, Spurs fans can rest easy. No more 4-1 ass poundings all over the state of Texas.

Please, Mav fans are satisfied with just beating the spurs.

johngateswhiteley
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
my insider says Odom will sign with Grindavik. pastilles was the deal closer. can't blame him, kobe is a little tiny shrimpy bitch.

KidCongo
07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
NBA is full of lies!

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
First of all, a lot of misinformation spread in this thread.

NBA players pay state taxes depending on where they are playing each game. So in reality Odom saves 5% or so, assuming a 10% state tax. It still is not anywhere near what the Lakers are offering, plain and simple.

Rule of thumb with 99% of NBA players is to follow the money. So unless there is something devastating going on behind the scenes here, I think we can safely assume this is just posturing by both sides....eerily similar to the whole Manny Ramirez situation.

And Spur fan, some simple math for you. 15 >>>> 4. I'll laugh when you get bounced in the 1st round again by the Mavericks

mytespurs
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM

NBA players pay state taxes depending on where they are playing each game. So in reality Odom saves 5% or so, assuming a 10% state tax. It still is not anywhere near what the Lakers are offering, plain and simple.

Rule of thumb with 99% of NBA players is to follow the money. So unless there is something devastating going on behind the scenes here, I think we can safely assume this is just posturing by both sides....eerily similar to the whole Manny Ramirez situation.

And Spur fan, some simple math for you. 15 >>>> 4. I'll laugh when you get bounced in the 1st round again by the Mavericks

Hardware is hardware...get over it! and have a good day!

Brazil
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm with the posters saying it doesn't make sense. If really Heat or another team sign LO it would be linked to ego stupid stuff. It's a business you cannot jeopardize your chance to win another LOB because you have a huge ego or leave a team for a comparable offer just because you're pissed, it's a non sense.

carrao45
Hardware is hardware...get over it! and have a good day!

You use the championships hardware argument, against a guy who clearly said 15 Trophies>>>>4 Trophies.:lol stupid

BTW DrHouse was wrong...15>>>>>>>>>>>4...now that's more like it

johngateswhiteley
my insider says Odom will sign with Grindavik. pastilles was the deal closer. can't blame him, kobe is a little tiny shrimpy bitch.

Culburn369
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Dr, per usual with a much needed house call. I feel much better now after being attended to by Dr. House.

phyzik
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Sometimes working for less money is better than getting paid but working with a bunch of fucking pricks.

Muser
07-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Pricks or not, you don't leave a team that has potential to be a dynasty over 2 mil.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
1) LO lived in Miami before, so it would be less stressful for his family to move there again.
2) Miami has Dwade, a pretty good player who has a championship as well, and is younger than Kobe.
3) He wants to live near the ocean, limits options.
4) Laker deal was off the table, as it was said. They sort of burned their bridges by doing that...I think it offended Lamar. They F'ed up, admit it.
5) Probably he does not like the team/players...I bet he gets whipping boy treatment from Phil, for instance, who has a history of treating side-kicks in similar fashion.
6) Kobe: need I say more?

Lamar is acting completely rational. He wants a shot at a bigger contract next time, and he will get it as the second option in Miami. He will not as the 3rd, probably 4th option in LA.

dude..thats alot of reaching in your posts. I know you want to find reasons why Lamar wants to leave, but your reasons are dumb. He wants a bigger shot at a contract next time? Then why take a 5 year contract over a 3 year? Nice try though.

Wombatzu
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
i don't think he ever liked playing with Kobe. and you can talk about him and Artest being friends all you want, but he probably likes the idea of playing behind both Kobe and Artest even less.

go to Miami, get a starting gig, chill on the beach, forget about Kobe Tyrant.

Showtime24 LAKERS
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm starting to kind of possibly see Lamar's point of view and why he will almost certainly not be a Laker. With the Lakers, its about the money. With another team, it isn't. Let me explain.

If Lamar stays with the Lakers maybe it IS about the money because he wants to Lakers to show him appreciation for his championship contributions, just as Ariza did. If Lamar leaves for another team, I honestly think he'd be willing to take the MLE and take comfort in knowing that he has 5 years of guaranteed money, even if the total is less than what he could have gotten to stay in L.A. Obviously Lamar can't expect another team to "appreciate" his championship efforts because only the Lakers are in a position to do that.

Honestly, I think Lamar truly believes in his own talent because he wants to start and be a big part of the team. With the Lakers, there are just NO guarantees for him. Playing behind Pau, who is better, and Drew who is rapidly improving and expected to be a star next year, what kind of minutes is Lamar realistically going to get? Sure on the occasional game when Pau or Drew is in foul trouble, Lamar will see big minutes or maybe IF (and that's a big IF) Drew or Pau get injured for an extended period of time, Lamar will see big minutes. Otherwise, he's going to be a sitting on the bench half of every game, twiddling his thumbs. Lamar's probably thinking, "Hey, if I'm not even going to get big minutes while I'm still in the prime of my career, the least they can do is pay me." I feel that it is this line of thinking that has lead Lamar astray. Some players feel they are too talented to come off the bench and Lamar may be one of these types of players.

mytespurs
07-16-2009, 12:12 PM
You use the championships hardware argument, against a guy who clearly said 15 Trophies>>>>4 Trophies.:lol stupid

BTW DrHouse was wrong...15>>>>>>>>>>>4...now that's more like it

Gee, I'm glad I have thick skin! :lol: Thanks for pointing out my obvious error.

And with the correction; my point still stands whether >>>> or <<<<
having the hardware is the issue regardless how many or how few you have...as long as you have it. :king

ElNono
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Ya'll can't control what Lamar do homies!!!! Ya'll crazzzzyyyyy!!!!

Spursmania
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Damn, he really must hate LA:lol

scottspurs
07-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I still thinks he signs with the lakers but he definitely fucked up. I don't see the lakers letting him go for what he is being offered from other teams. Buss will not give him 9 million now, imo.

Kobe's involved now so maybe he can bring all to their senses.

Yeah because Kobe knows how to treat his teammates with respect. NOT.

JamStone
07-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Pricks or not, you don't leave a team that has potential to be a dynasty over 2 mil.

Agreed. But, the same should be said for the other side.

An owner shouldn't risk damaging dynasty hopes over $2 million.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
This would be stupid posturing on both sides and a horrible screw up for the front office of the Lakers. The Artest over Ariza is fine, but losing Odom for nothing and having no money to replace him would be foolish.

Everyone keeps saying how bad ass Buss is and that you don't mess with him. You say look where that got Shaq (in Miami with another ring; are we seeing a pattern?). Well sometimes you have to do right by your best players. I thought the first offer was fair from LA, but Odom did not. It would be foolish to put such a big dent in your championship hopes over this. Foolish.

Now it is a pride thing and a guy like Odom seems to be pretty big on the "respect" factor of negotiations. Just like Ariza, he wants to feel wanted. Pulling the offer was a mistake and not offering him at least the same out of some sense of foolish pride would be a bigger mistake.

bdictjames
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Fuck L.A.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-16-2009, 12:30 PM
All I've got to say is, thank god for Sasha, Luke and Morrison, or else LA would have been able to sign Artest while keeping Ariza and Odom which would have been downright scary.

rayray2k8
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Not before the spurs bounce your team out of the playoffs. :spin

phyzik
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM

I guess some people are wired differently. Its not nearly the same, not by any means, but I had a job where I was making really good money and was practically guaranteed a management position but I just couldnt stand my boss and the general working environment. I packed up and went to a job thats paying me less but I am MUCH happier.

If I where in the same position as Lamar I think I would stick to the same principles. Id rather be making OK money and be happy than be making GOOD money, plus promise of advancement but feel like shit every day when I have to go to work.

*edit*

by no means am I saying this is the reason he is leaving the Lakers but resentment has to be at least part of it.

mytespurs
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Where is epic fail when you need him.

Gee, don't know. Why don't you fill in to the best of your ability. :)

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't see why Buss just doesn't pony up the cash, if the issue is over 4 more million, I think he should suck it up and pony up the cash.

It's laughable how laker fans are saying Odom is not important and etc... and how he isn't worth 4 more mil, when it's not even their money being talked about here. And when or if the lakers get eliminated in 2nd or in the WCF, their gna be a million buss is an idiot threads for not paying Odom.

And let's be realistic the lakers from last year were good, but with an injury riddled league, they were pushed to the brink by the rockets and could have loss to the nuggets. And how do they answer back to that? by losing ariza and possibly odom, and gaining artest.

And this is the reality of business. Lamar Odom for all his stupidity, can't be so stupid as not to see that players of lesser talent and value as him were getting larger and longer contracts. And his own team is giving him half of what other people are getting.

Truth be told, all laker fans are complaining about lamar not having loyalty and being stupid, how bout some loyalty for him? He was a big part of the laker championship team and he knows it, how do the owners react? by paying him a lot less than what he is worth, it's not like he's 35 and pass his prime.

No one in his right mind in any industry can stomach getting paid less or the same amount as other workers who are doing less work and are less effective and talented.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
This would be stupid posturing on both sides and a horrible screw up for the front office of the Lakers. The Artest over Ariza is fine, but losing Odom for nothing and having no money to replace him would be foolish.

Everyone keeps saying how bad ass Buss is and that you don't mess with him. You say look where that got Shaq (in Miami with another ring; are we seeing a pattern?). Well sometimes you have to do right by your best players. I thought the first offer was fair from LA, but Odom did not. It would be foolish to put such a big dent in your championship hopes over this. Foolish.

Now it is a pride thing and a guy like Odom seems to be pretty big on the "respect" factor of negotiations. Just like Ariza, he wants to feel wanted. Pulling the offer was a mistake and not offering him at least the same out of some sense of foolish pride would be a bigger mistake.

fck respect. dude wants to get overpayed. Ariza wants to feel wanted...well good luck ariza with the same salary in a crappier team.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't see why Buss just doesn't pony up the cash, if the issue is over 4 more million, I think he should suck it up and pony up the cash.

It's laughable how laker fans are saying Odom is not important and etc... and how he isn't worth 4 more mil, when it's not even their money being talked about here. And when or if the lakers get eliminated in 2nd or in the WCF, their gna be a million buss is an idiot threads for not paying Odom.

And let's be realistic the lakers from last year were good, but with an injury riddled league, they were pushed to the brink by the rockets and could have loss to the nuggets. And how do they answer back to that? by losing ariza and possibly odom, and gaining artest.

And this is the reality of business. Lamar Odom for all his stupidity, can't be so stupid as not to see that players of lesser talent and value as him were getting larger and longer contracts. And his own team is giving him half of what other people are getting.

Truth be told, all laker fans are complaining about lamar not having loyalty and being stupid, how bout some loyalty for him? He was a big part of the laker championship team and he knows it, how do the owners react? by paying him a lot less than what he is worth, it's not like he's 35 and pass his prime.

No one in his right mind in any industry can stomach getting paid less or the same amount as other workers who are doing less work and are less effective and talented.

and idiots like you want to pay him 10 mill when noone else can even pay him 8.

Baseline
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
It's common knowledge that LO grumbled about playing with Bryant for about the frst 1.5 years after arriving witht he Lakers.

So this isn't shocking to me at all. Have you guys ever seen a Laker game in person? Have you seen how Bryant treats his teammates? It's embarrassing.

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
fck respect. dude wants to get overpayed. Ariza wants to feel wanted...well good luck ariza with the same salary in a crappier team.

last time i checked feeling appreciated and wanted helps a lot with team chemistry.

I think for most players money is everything and they can be professional and play even if they are traded 20 times in 2 years, but some players want to feel like they belong, they are appreciated by the organization and will be a big part of the team, not some guy who kobe passes the ball to whenever he feels like it.

I think to an extent bynum feels that way 2, but he's paid too much money to even bother caring

FireDavidStern
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Ariza did it.

No the Lakers had decided if they could get Artest for the MLE they would let go of Ariza. Maybe they were right maybe they were wrong but that is what they did. don't blame Ariza for wanting more money than the MLE and having the Lakers decide that getting Artest for the MLE was better than trying to negotiate with Ariza

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
and idiots like you want to pay him 10 mill when noone else can even pay him 8.

let me ask you this, if the lakers don't repeat, and it's because of a crappy bench, or bynum gets injured and no one decent is there to back him up, will you reconsider paying odom 10 mil?

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
No the Lakers had decided if they could get Artest for the MLE they would let go of Ariza. Maybe they were right maybe they were wrong but that is what they did. don't blame Ariza for wanting more money than the MLE and having the Lakers decide that getting Artest for the MLE was better than trying to negotiate with Ariza

wrong. The Lakers decided if the David Lee wants to play hard ball and get more money somewhere else, then the Lakers would let go of Ariza cuz they had Artest in thier back pocket. Ariza was the #1 choice.

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM

the funny part is, for all we know a good reason of artest coming over is cuz odom his buddy is there.

When odom leaves for another team, artest might be grumpy cuz he felt LA organization disrespected odom and might ruin team chemistry.

just throwing that out there.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 12:53 PM
let me ask you this, if the lakers don't repeat, and it's because of a crappy bench, or bynum gets injured and no one decent is there to back him up, will you reconsider paying odom 10 mil?

no cuz why would you pay your 4th option 10 million bucks when no other team can even pay him close to that except for Portland. Why the hell would you bid against yourself. Where exactly would Odom go? Miami for the MLE? Sheesh..

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I guess some people are wired differently. Its not nearly the same, not by any means, but I had a job where I was making really good money and was practically guaranteed a management position but I just couldnt stand my boss and the general working environment. I packed up and went to a job thats paying me less but I am MUCH happier.

If I where in the same position as Lamar I think I would stick to the same principles. Id rather be making OK money and be happy than be making GOOD money, plus promise of advancement but feel like shit every day when I have to go to work.

*edit*

by no means am I saying this is the reason he is leaving the Lakers but resentment has to be at least part of it.

How do you know he's not happy playing for the Lakers? How do you know he is resentful for not starting? Stop projecting. You don't know shit.

From what I'm reading from the LA beat reporters they still think it's more likely Odom resigns with LA than goes elsewhere. Kobe apparently called him up last night FWIW.

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
no cuz why would you pay your 4th option 10 million bucks when no other team can even pay him close to that except for Portland. Why the hell would you bid against yourself. Where exactly would Odom go? Miami for the MLE? Sheesh..

so basically the championship isn't worth that kind of money? Because Buss' moves seems contrary.

Why did he overpay Sasha that kind of money? or why luke? it's because they were doing well, and buss felt that paying them that kind of money to stay would be beneficial to a championship.

I think a logical point of view here is that, Buss may feel that Odom's great play will stop once he gets his money similar to how sasha has sucked ever since. So maybe he's only willing to spend on proven players?

But we all know odom is proven and gives them versatility, maybe buss isn't as bball savvy as we all thought.

rjv
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
dallas is out. if any team can reel in odom it would be the heat. especially, if they can also land boozer

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
How do you know he's not happy playing for the Lakers? How do you know he is resentful for not starting? Stop projecting. You don't know shit.

From what I'm reading from the LA beat reporters they still think it's more likely Odom resigns with LA than goes elsewhere. Kobe apparently called him up last night FWIW.

Truth be told no one here knows what odom is thinking, much less you or me. Just because you live in LA, doesn't mean you know more about odom then people who live elsewhere.

The poster was just saying, that he has been in a similar situation so he can understand where odom MAY be coming from.

the question is dr. house is you probably have not been in that kind of situation and just go where the money is so what odom MAY do might come as a shock to you.

Culburn369
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
maybe buss isn't as bball savvy as we all thought.

9 NBA Championships during his 30 year ownership withstanding.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
so basically the championship isn't worth that kind of money? Because Buss' moves seems contrary.

Why did he overpay Sasha that kind of money? or why luke? it's because they were doing well, and buss felt that paying them that kind of money to stay would be beneficial to a championship.

I think a logical point of view here is that, Buss may feel that Odom's great play will stop once he gets his money similar to how sasha has sucked ever since. So maybe he's only willing to spend on proven players?

But we all know odom is proven and gives them versatility, maybe buss isn't as bball savvy as we all thought.

Sorry bro...but to say Buss isnt basketball savy is saying Jordan isnt GOAT. The deal isnt even over yet and your saying all this stuff. What happens if Odom does sign with the Lakers...all your assumptions are out the door? Maybe you're right and Buss did learn from Luke and Sasha. Maybe he realized...why the hell am i overpaying?! I also think you are not considering the fact that the Lakers are over the cap and has to double his pay.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
It's a damn good thing none of you run businesses.

It makes no sense for the Lakers to pay LO $10 million when nobody else is even coming close to offering that. Let the market dictate where you set your price.

NBAfan83
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry bro...but to say Buss isnt basketball savy is saying Jordan isnt GOAT. The deal isnt even over yet and your saying all this stuff. What happens if Odom does sign with the Lakers...all your assumptions are out the door? Maybe you're right and Buss did learn from Luke and Sasha. Maybe he realized...why the hell am i overpaying?! I also think you are not considering the fact that the Lakers are over the cap and has to double his pay.

it's an opinion based on odom not signing.

if odom resigns, then the world is right again :D

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
You can't argue with results. Buss has been one of the most successful, if not the most, owners in the NBA during his 30 year tenure. He's obviously doing something right.

God damn guy is running around playing poker all day, boinking 20 year old girls, and watching his teams win NBA championships. I don't think he cares what some hick ST poster thinks.

LakeShow
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Kobe speaks on playing with the lakers and Lamar

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4329479

LakeShow
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Lamar speaks on Lamar,

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4328486

TheMACHINE
it's an opinion based on odom not signing.

if odom resigns, then the world is right again :D

:toast

ElNono
Somebody give Lamar a hug... :cry

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
It's a damn good thing none of you run businesses.

It makes no sense for the Lakers to pay LO $10 million when nobody else is even coming close to offering that. Let the market dictate where you set your price.

Generally yes. But that is not how Lamar is looking at it. Just because the market is shit, Lamar should not bear the full costs of that. It is just bad luck that he is a FA this year and not next year. That does not change his value.

Just because no one has the money this year to pay him what he wants, does not mean his value is currently this low. It is probably somewhere in between. If LO was a FA next year, there would probably be more competition and his value could be more accurately gauged.

He is looking at a few things:

1) I am willing to take a pay cut; 14M to 10M is around 30%
2) What are players with my abilities getting paid, no matter what the current market is showing? What are the players in the 10M dollar range getting and am I better (Maggette, Kaman, Okafor....)?
3) What are players on my own team making compared to what they bring with regards to winning a title?
4) Because of the economy, what will I realistically expect to lose from my comparable market worth?

Point is, you cannot say no one will pay him, when there is only limited teams available. Two things have to happen in order for the market to work:

1) Teams have to have the money
2) You must fit in with that team

There were hardly any teams with the money and he only fit a few of them needs wise.

I know you do not want to bid against yourself, but that is kind of a cop out in this situation. I thought the Lakers did a good job with their offers, but who knows?

Showtime24 LAKERS
07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Come on man, make sense, at least.

Money is the issue for Lamar outside of the Lakers. In my above post, I suggested that he wants more money and years from the Lakers because he won't be starting. I'm sure Lamar feels that he will be sacrificing a lot of playing time and personal stats to remain with the Lakers, so he wants to get paid big time for his personal sacrifices. With Miami, I can see Lamar taking 5 years at 34 million because he knows he's almost guaranteed to start, play heavy minutes, and be a critical part of a playoff caliber team. With another piece or two added to the team, he could even be in another position to win a championship in a year or two. Bottom line, he'll having a bigger role in Miami than he'd have with the Lakers.

Lamar is going to Miami because it ain't about the money, its about the playing time and the respect.

Findog
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM

If the Lakers are serious about not reinstating their original offer of $9 million a year or whatever it was, and the only thing LO can get on the market is the full MLE, what incentive do the Lakers have to increase their offer above what Miami/Dallas/whomever is offering? Unless they're worried LO will be offended at the Lakers negotiating tactics and signs elsewhere for the same $$ the Lakers are offering?

K-State Spur
07-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Ashe actually lives in Oregon though, which may throw Portland into play if this falls through.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Generally yes. But that is not how Lamar is looking at it. Just because the market is shit, Lamar should not bear the full costs of that. It is just bad luck that he is a FA this year and not next year. That does not change his value.

Just because no one has the money this year to pay him what he wants, does not mean his value is currently this low. It is probably somewhere in between. If LO was a FA next year, there would probably be more competition and his value could be more accurately gauged.

2) What are players with my abilities getting paid, no matter what the current market is showing? What are the players in the 10M dollar range getting and am I better (Maggette, Kaman, Okafor....)?
3) What are players on my own team making compared to what they bring with regards to winning a title?
4) Because of the economy, what will I realistically expect to lose from my comparable market worth?

Point is, you cannot say no one will pay him, when there is only limited teams available. Two things have to happen in order for the market to work:

1) Teams have to have the money
2) You must fit in with that team

There were hardly any teams with the money and he only fit a few of them needs wise.

I know you do not want to bid against yourself, but that is kind of a cop out in this situation. I thought the Lakers did a good job with their offers, but who knows?

Again, it's a good thing you don't run a business.

From a business perspective there is absolutely no reason why the Lakers should outbid themselves. None. Nada. Zippo. Always remove personal feelings from any business deal.

You act is if 36/4 is not a fair deal, that's very fair and IMHO a good estimation of what Lamar is worth. Also realize that every penny Buss spends is doubled since the Lakers are over the cap. Buss did his part, if LO walks Laker fans won't put that on him.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
If the Lakers are serious about not reinstating their original offer of $9 million a year or whatever it was, and the only thing LO can get on the market is the full MLE, what incentive do the Lakers have to increase their offer above what Miami/Dallas/whomever is offering? Unless they're worried LO will be offended at the Lakers negotiating tactics and signs elsewhere for the same $$ the Lakers are offering?

I think my post before explains this. Normally you do not outbid yourself, but just for an example lets say this:

Kobe is a free agent in a terrible economy and year where there are only two teams under the cap (one can offer 10M per year another can offer 12M per year).

Kobe comes to the Lakers and says I want a max contract and they know he is worth somewhere close to that, but they say "lets see what the market is for you..."

Well since the market is poor, the Lakers know the odds are in their favor. That does not mean Kobe is only worth 12M per year. It means there are abnormal market circumstances that cannot be taken on face value.

This is what is happening to Lamar to a lesser degree obviously. That is why the bid against yourself argument is not entirely accurate imo. But the puzzling thing is the Lakers did not really do that and they offered him a fair contract. This is very strange.

johngateswhiteley
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM

exactly. and i love how blind laker fan is at the moment...i think its funny. further, its not lamar odom's fault the lakers have to pay double his contract in luxury tax...its a moot point in fairness.

besides...

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

From a business perspective there is absolutely no reason why the Lakers should outbid themselves. None. Nada. Zippo. Always remove personal feelings from any business deal.

You act is if 36/4 is not a fair deal, that's very fair and IMHO a good estimation of what Lamar is worth. Also realize that every penny Buss spends is doubled since the Lakers are over the cap. Buss did his part, if LO walks Laker fans won't put that on him.

Are you that dense? I clearly said the Lakers offered him a fair deal. It is a good thing you do not run a business, because you are to inside the box and have no loyalty.

You are probably a guy who hates marketing because you cannot directly trace it to ROI all the time even though the profits are there in the end.

The luxury tax is of no concern to LO and that should not play a part in negotiations. He is not getting that tax money. The luxury tax does not change his worth.

I am not saying bid against yourself, but you are foolish if you think you can capitalize on a market anomaly in order to accurately gauge his value. I think 9M is a fair offer and fits my criteria that I outlined.

So yes, they are "bidding against themselves" but that does not mean he is not worth it just because the market sucks. Go to business school.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I think my post before explains this. Normally you do not outbid yourself, but just for an example lets say this:

Kobe is a free agent in a terrible economy and year where there are only two teams under the cap (one can offer 10M per year another can offer 12M per year).

Kobe comes to the Lakers and says I want a max contract and they know he is worth somewhere close to that, but they say "lets see what the market is for you..."

Well since the market is poor, the Lakers know the odds are in their favor. That does not mean Kobe is only worth 12M per year. It means there are abnormal market circumstances that cannot be taken on face value.

This is what is happening to Lamar to a lesser degree obviously. That is why the bid against yourself argument is not entirely accurate imo. But the puzzling thing is the Lakers did not really do that and they offered him a fair contract. This is very strange.

Smartest thing you've said so far. The Lakers gave Lamar a very fair offer and he turned it down. It's not on them if he doesn't resign, they did their part.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Are you that dense? I clearly said the Lakers offered him a fair deal. It is a good thing you do not run a business, because you are to inside the box and have no loyalty.

You are probably a guy who hates marketing because you cannot directly trace it to ROI all the time even though the profits are there in the end.

The luxury tax is of no concern to LO and that should not play a part in negotiations. He is not getting that tax money. The luxury tax does not change his worth.

I am not saying bid against yourself, but you are foolish if you think you can capitalize on a market anomaly in order to accurately gauge his value. I think 9M is a fair offer and fits my criteria that I outlined.

So yes, they are "bidding against themselves" but that does not mean he is not worth it just because the market sucks. Go to business school.

There is a reason why Buss is such a successful owner. He always gives his players a fair shake. He doesn't try to squeeze every last penny like some owners. Never has.

Business school will tell you exactly what I just did. The market will dictate the price of the goods. If LO is unhappy with that he can sign a 1 year deal and try again next season for his big payday. But he doesn't want to take that risk. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
There is a reason why Buss is such a successful owner. He always gives his players a fair shake. He doesn't try to squeeze every last penny like some owners. Never has.

Business school will tell you exactly what I just did. The market will dictate the price of the goods. If LO is unhappy with that he can sign a 1 year deal and try again next season for his big payday. But he doesn't want to take that risk. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Wrong. Why was he so loose with Sasha/Luke/Bynum and now playing hardball with Odom when he brings more to the table than those players combined? Did he just take a business class this year? He did give Lamar a fair shake imo, but that is not the point.

Your B.S. "let the market dictate" argument is invalid to A CERTAIN DEGREE. You are trying to take advantage of a loop hole in the market that everyone with common business sense can see is artificially drowning out the market.

If you want to play that game, then do it. See if Lamar walks? Who knows? But your business sense is so textbook and you failing to evaluate all of the conditions shows this.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Smartest thing you've said so far. The Lakers gave Lamar a very fair offer and he turned it down. It's not on them if he doesn't resign, they did their part.

Obviously you have not read a thing I have said, because I said this a long time ago.

Kai
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Is there a link about this?

Cheese
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Anybody ever stop and think he might be a Dolphins fan?Nobody ever thought about that did they..:rolleyes

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Wrong. Why was he so loose with Sasha/Luke/Bynum and now playing hardball with Odom when he brings more to the table than those players combined? Did he just take a business class this year? He did give Lamar a fair shake imo, but that is not the point.

Your B.S. "let the market dictate" argument is invalid to A CERTAIN DEGREE. You are trying to take advantage of a loop hole in the market that everyone with common business sense can see is artificially drowning out the market.

If you want to play that game, then do it. See if Lamar walks? Who knows? But your business sense is so textbook and you failing to evaluate all of the conditions shows this.

Everyone makes mistakes. Both Sasha and Luke had great contract seasons, there was no way for Buss to know that both of them would stink it up afterwards. Had both of these players continued and improved upon their contract year performances they would not be seen as horrid contracts.

Lamar is different because the situation is different. LA's payroll is already sky high. He's 29 years old and already has a ring. How much motivation will he have to give it his all each night? He's been entirely too inconsistent over his career to warrant overpaying and giving him All-Star money. Especially when nobody else is going to come close.

You obviously don't want to disrespect Lamar, which is not what Buss did. So I don't even know why you are still responding because you don't have a point. Iron Mexican is right, you fucking never shutup.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. Both Sasha and Luke had great contract seasons, there was no way for Buss to know that both of them would stink it up afterwards. Had both of these players continued and improved upon their contract year performances they would not be seen as horrid contracts.

Lamar is different because the situation is different. LA's payroll is already sky high. He's 29 years old and already has a ring. How much motivation will he have to give it his all each night? He's been entirely too inconsistent over his career to warrant overpaying and giving him All-Star money. Especially when nobody else is going to come close.

You obviously don't want to disrespect Lamar, which is not what Buss did. So I don't even know why you are still responding because you don't have a point. Iron Mexican is right, you fucking never shutup.

Where did I say any of that? You are fucking idiot which is why everyone hates you. I said the Lakers did a good job, but that your lame ass argument and telling people that "thank god they do not run a business.." was stupid.

Why are you responding? Please STFU before 100 more people add you to their worst posters on ST list.

P.S. : IM hates you. So do the rest of Laker fans. Not even your own kind likes you.

Cry Havoc
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Says the man who would fire everyone on the team 20 games in for a regular season loss, and would openly announce that there is "no way" they're winning a championship during a playoff run. :lmao

JamStone
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
No other team could pay the max amount the Lakers paid Kobe back in 2004, but the Lakers gave him the max. Why is that? Why didn't they just match what the Clippers offered? When the Lakers give Kobe's next extension, will it be only for as much as any other team can pay him or will they give him the max extension no other team can give him?

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
No other team could pay the max amount the Lakers paid Kobe back in 2004, but the Lakers gave him the max. Why is that? Why didn't they just match what the Clippers offered? When the Lakers give Kobe's next extension, will it be only for as much as any other team can pay him or will they give him the max extension no other team can give him?

That is exactly what I said. Thank you. The great business mind Dr.House failed to account for that market variable.

Then he gets mad when he cannot answer and says shut up, even though this a forum discussion and people go back and forth.

urunobili
07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe he just feels insulted by the way he is being treated... just like Ariza did...

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
ahhhhh so Lamar is Kobe status now.

anonoftheinternets
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM

why is everyone so patient with dr house? imo he shud jus be treated as a joke and ignored like sequ ... really pointless waste of time ...

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe he just feels insulted by the way he is being treated... just like Ariza did...

ahh so its an insult to NOT overpay someone...ok

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Where did I say any of that? You are fucking idiot which is why everyone hates you. I said the Lakers did a good job, but that your lame ass argument and telling people that "thank god they do not run a business.." was stupid.

Why are you responding? Please STFU before 100 more people add you to their worst posters on ST list.

P.S. : IM hates you. So do the rest of Laker fans. Not even your own kind likes you.

:lol:rollin

your getting worked up by DR. House....:downspin:

JamStone
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
ahhhhh so Lamar is Kobe status now.

You don't understand the point.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
:lol:rollin

your getting worked up by DR. House....:downspin:

No not really, it is just fun to needle him like always. He is the only one I really go after. Just like when I say second place is the first loser :lol

The only time I get into long arguments really is with him (except with Allanon, but at least those are usually basketball related :lol)

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:23 PM
The point is not about who is better....The point is there is a flaw in the let the market determine the worth argument sometimes.

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I think we're trying to distill this argument into black or white, when the reality is many factors come into play in these negotiations.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
The point is not about who is better....The point is there is a flaw in the let the market determine the worth argument sometimes.

yes...but hey...noone can offer him even close to what he wants...why pay a guy 5 years for 50 mill...the Lakers offered him 30 mill for 3 years....isnt that fair enough? What is there to argue about?!

DrHouse
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
No not really, it is just fun to needle him like always. He is the only one I really go after. Just like when I say second place is the first loser :lol

The only time I get into long arguments really is with him (except with Allanon, but at least those are usually basketball related :lol)

No you get into long and pointless arguments with everyone. You never shutup.

JamStone
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I think we're trying to distill this argument into black or white, when the reality is many factors come into play in these negotiations.

By the word "we're" do you mean YOU are?

kobyz
07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
also in Miami there is no taxes

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
By the word "we're" do you mean YOU are?

Exactly. We are trying to explain why his argument is so myopic.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
yes...but hey...noone can offer him even close to what he wants...why pay a guy 5 years for 50 mill...the Lakers offered him 30 mill for 3 years....isnt that fair enough? What is there to argue about?!

I think that was fair. But I guess Lamar does not. But the argument was about letting the market set the value, which is not always true, especially in this crazy economy.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

That would be you. This is called a discussion. Not like I am talking to myself. Evidently you keep responding and so do others, so the market has decided my comments have value. Let the market decide the value. If people respond (like you...) then the market will prevail!

FkLA
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Lakers need to pony up if they want to have a chance next year, the cheap-ass and thrifty Spurs are paying like $14 mill for their fourth option...why cant the godly Lakers pay $10 mill or add another year at $9 mill?

Lets be honest here Laker fans, without Odom the Lakers bench is trash...Vujabtch, Farmar, and Walton have all fallen on their face. And guys like Powe and Mbenga are just trash. Lakers would have to play the starters 45 mpg in the playoffs to stand a chance against the top contenders. Who is this Drew guy btw, that supposedly is ready to be an all-star and who will take some of Odom's minutes if he comes back?

MWILL
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM

With RJ in San Antonio...There will be alot more 4 to 1 ass pounding. :lmao

carrao45
07-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Neither do you...

Brazil
Ariza did it.

you're right but it's still a non sense, it's like putting emotion while playing poker it's stupid.

NBAfan83
I think what people are missing here is that the reason LO is holding out for more money is because players of lesser to equal caliber are getting 5 yr 50 mil deals.

Let's be honest if varejao and turkgolu was getting 7 mil 4 years, we all know odom wouldn't be complaining and would jump at 4 year 36 easy.

Basically, there is no policy, no formula on deciding the worth of a player other than market comparison, and Odom and his agent did exactly that, they probably compared stats, impact in game, and the fact that he is in his prime PLUS compared him and other players similar players and the contract or pay they were getting.

BUSS on the other hand, expects LO and his agent to cover up for his pass contract mistakes, namely walton, sasha and morrison and probably didn't really consider LO's true worth.

In the end it's a test of wills, Buss wanting to be a badass to prove a point, and to show that he's not going to overpay anyone not named bynum anymore, and LO wanting to show that for his contributions and his skills, he should be paying more.

I guarantee if miami had 10 mil to throw aroudn, they would offer that to LO in a heartbeat without bothering to renegotiate.

Also another thing, we all know Bynum's going to be a buss, i mean bust, so it's almost an inevitability that Odom is going to be playing more mins than bynum for the whole season.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I think Lamar like Miami though, Pat, Wade and the entire family.

da_suns_fan
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Its simple...

Wade is a better teammate than Kobe.

Odom already has a ring.

The Heat are a classier organization.

La Peace
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Odom is tired of being Phil's whipping boy. He is a fucking moron sometimes and would rather be on a team with no expectations so that he won't be mentally scolded for his passivity.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Its simple...

Wade is a better teammate than Kobe.

Odom already has a ring.

The Heat are a classier organization.

i love it....conclusion.....odom has a ring and rather lose now to have a better teammate.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
The Lakers potentially lose two of their top contributors for the championship run to other teams for equal or less money and the players are the dumb ones?

News flash: You should have just paid Shaq.

symple19
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
When will everyone realize that playing with Kobe sucks balls? When will everyone realize that LA is a smog-choked hell-hole filled with Hollywood d-bags and plastic women that's not a great place to play? D-wade and company would welcome Odom with open arms and APPRECIATE what he has to offer. Add in the lower tax-rate (and no state income tax), lower cost of living, and it makes good sense. The Heat could then go after another quality forward and they are right back in the title conversation. Laker fans and FO should start to look inward. Obviously there is something wrong with your overly-dramatic franchise. LOL, you get Ron-Ron and lose Odom(hypothetically) and Ariza. Ronny will probably be beating some woman by the All-star break, or neglecting/abusing his animals, or smoking crack in an alleyway on Hollywood boulevard. Luke Walton will be getting another douchey tattoo while Farmar is picking up Chinese AM stations with those ears.Your coach is an overrated prima-donna. Artest will blow away any vestiges of team chemistry while throwing up 30 footers 4 seconds into the shot clock, thereby pissing off Kobe. Bynum will inevitably get hurt again, leaving Gasol/Bryant as the only real reliable players. Vujacic will be busy fluffing/teasing his hair. Without Odom your bench is shit, and so is your season. You Laker fans better get down on your knees...Wait, you already are. You Laker fans better start praying that he comes back because your season is over without him.

Chillen
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Some NBA players that once an NBA title has been won feel like that is a huge accomplishment and chose to move on. Perhaps Ariza and Odom have that feeling of satisfaction and are looking to sign elsewhere. Who knows.

Not all NBA players are monstrous hungry pitbulls like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, those guys wanted the championship every year and were driven.

Some players are happy winning it all once.

FireDavidStern
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
When will everyone realize that playing with Kobe sucks balls?

dude STFU. Yes Kobe is selfish with the ball. Yes he tries to due everything. BUT AT TIMES HE CAN!!! KOBE IS A TOP 15 (prob top 10, can't be bothered to really think it out) PLAYER ALL TIME.

Is playing with Kobe the best thing in the league? no. Is it a bad thing? no because he gives you a chance to win every game.

VivaPopovich
07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
he might as well sign with cleveland now and have a shot at a ring

miami aint going anywhere

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I feel you on that one. I watched a guy lose 30 grand online the other night... all because of emotion.

Dude, I saw someone win 500K on Poker Stars in like 2 hours. It was crazy. It was a room of pro's in the real money room. I do not think it was staged or anything. It was 500/1000 limit poker or something crazy.

Point is losing Ariza will probably not hurt because no question Artest is the better player, especially for the same money. There are some question marks with regards to fit, but should not be a problem with the Lakers talent.

Odom is a different story because as things stand now, there is no one that can make up the difference. Odom gave the Lakers sick depth.

But none of this makes enough sense to see LO leaving, unless there were some inside problems to begin with.

Brazil
07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I feel you on that one. I watched a guy lose 30 grand online the other night... all because of emotion.

I know what u mean. I lost 5K because of emotion one year ago, a guy begun a trash talking work, I was so pissed that next hand I go wild and put an all in with AK just to shut up the guy, of course he won the hand (2 Q).

Cane
07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Its no secret that Lamar Odom got the most shit and flack from Phil Jackson out of anyone else on the Lakers squad (google the Jimmy Kimmel interview with the Lakers, Kobe said it).

That probably had to do something with him moving on not to mention that he's got his ring now.

MiamiHeat
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I said this a long time ago.

Lamar Odom is coming back to Miami.

Mr. Body
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I said this a long time ago.

Lamar Odom is coming back to Miami.

Agree.

kobyz
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
it's not official yet but the word say that Odom is gonna sign with the Lakers - 36 for 4 years

Culburn369
07-16-2009, 05:06 PM

Nothin' worse than a person dieing, or, one losing money. Ugh.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I am a little surprised that it has come to this. 4 years 36 million/3 years 30 million are both super fair deals.

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
he might as well sign with cleveland now and have a shot at a ring

miami aint going anywhere

youre a dumbass...he wants money...not a shot at the ring... he has his shot here in LA...he is all bout the $$$

TheMACHINE
07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I am a little surprised that it has come to this. 4 years 36 million/3 years 30 million are both super fair deals.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2009, 09:40 PM
youre a dumbass...he wants money...not a shot at the ring... he has his shot here in LA...he is all bout the $$$

Obviously so are the Lakers or they'd pay him. He's really great, right? Oh wait, he sucks now that he's got a chance of NOT being a Laker.

montgod
07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
it's not official yet but the word say that Odom is gonna sign with the Lakers - 36 for 4 years

Bucher from ESPN says otherwise....and also said that his sources have only stated that the Lakers offered only a 3yr 27 million deal and not the 3 and 4 years deals that have been rumored.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090716

I see him going to Miami or Portland.

cobbler
07-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Obviously so are the Lakers or they'd pay him. He's really great, right? Oh wait, he sucks now that he's got a chance of NOT being a Laker.

Great? no... Sucks? no...

How about a very talented role player, a goot fit for the team, and worth about what he's being offered.

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Ric said this? Odom is a Laker, again.

The quote from Bucher states that there was no offer for 4 years, not that he has agreed to a deal with the Lakers.

cobbler
07-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Bucher from ESPN says otherwise....and also said that his sources have only stated that the Lakers offered only a 3yr 27 million deal and not the 3 and 4 years deals that have been rumored.

I see him going to Miami or Portland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090716

Oh that makes it official... Maybe he's going to play with Kobe in Chicago! :lol

montgod
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Ric said this? Odom is a Laker, again.

The link states that rival teams believe Odom will return as a Laker.

My opinion was that Odom will be on the Heat or Portland.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Do you play? I watched a buddy of mine drop 90k in Vegas last year... his entire bank roll. I laughed so fucking hard inside. No way would I step in one of those 500/1000 rooms.

I used to quite a bit. Not any more. It got me through school for a little while, but once all that online bs happened I stopped.

I just went to Vegas for the first time like a month ago. Crazy. Lot of fun, but I only gambled about 400. I won $237 on the Lakers! I did a 2 team parlay on the final game: I took the Lakers and the under on a 100.00 bet.

DPG21920
07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I was going to say...The deal made too much sense to turn down from the reports on what he was asking for. Fair deal and smart move by both sides if true.

elbamba
07-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Perhaps its a kobe problem. Maybe the media makeover isn't as real as people think.

DenDen
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
That one reason why laker fan are so annoying, same case with artest. With the rocket, la fan label him a overrated defensive chucker. now he's a laker, artest is a defensive beast.

iggypop123
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
yes! ric bucher. your fake updates now ensure a return to the lakers. oh yeah what happened to that amare deal he was reporting???

montgod
07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
yes! ric bucher. your fake updates now ensure a return to the lakers. oh yeah what happened to that amare deal he was reporting???

His update actually states that he has heard from rival teams that Odom will return to the Lakers:rolleyes

iggypop123
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
His update actually states that he has heard from rival teams that Odom will return to the Lakers:rolleyes

thats from marc stein

v2freak
07-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Let me get this straight.

Lamar is going to move all the way across the country, uproot his family, leave a franchise and fanbase that loves him, give up the chance to defend his championship title, TO GO PLAY FOR ULTIMATELY LESS MONEY?

Is this not the epitome of stupidity?

I know right, it's crazy! All he should care about is money! That's all that ever matters - the scrylla, son.

Lars
07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Well Economically,

a Laker offer of 27 million over 3 years

vs

a Miami offer of 34 million over 5 years, or scaled 20.4 million for 3 years

Odom has made it clear he is more interested in a 5th year of guaranteed money for whatever reason. Right away you need to consider a 10% state tax rate in Cali, that is not present in Miami. Also there is an ~ 15% higher cost of living in LA vs. Miami.

That 27 million after state taxes is now down to 24.3 million...factor in cost of living and now it is 20.7 million.

So to put it in perspective, it makes perfect sense for Odom. He gets roughly equal amounts of money (in spending power), more years which is obviously important to him and gets to be away from Kobe Bryant.

symple19
07-17-2009, 03:00 AM
dude STFU. Yes Kobe is selfish with the ball. Yes he tries to due everything. BUT AT TIMES HE CAN!!! KOBE IS A TOP 15 (prob top 10, can't be bothered to really think it out) PLAYER ALL TIME.

Is playing with Kobe the best thing in the league? no. Is it a bad thing? no because he gives you a chance to win every game.
Dude, you can't even spell do!! I never said anything about how good Kobe is, I said it sucks to play with him. He's never won anything without MAJOR help from other superstars(Shaq,Gasol), and the main guy who helped him win :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: couldn't get away from him fast enough(Shaq). Individually Kobe is probably top 5 all-time, but as a complete, all-around player I wouldn't put him nearly that high.

YellowFever
07-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Dude, you can't even spell do!! I never said anything about how good Kobe is, I said it sucks to play with him. He's never won anything without MAJOR help from other superstars(Shaq,Gasol), and the main guy who helped him win :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: couldn't get away from him fast enough(Shaq). Individually Kobe is probably top 5 all-time, but as a complete, all-around player I wouldn't put him nearly that high.

So name one player that wins without "major" help.

angelbelow
07-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Well Economically,

vs

Odom has made it clear he is more interested in a 5th year of guaranteed money for whatever reason. Right away you need to consider a 10% state tax rate in Cali, that is not present in Miami. Also there is an ~ 15% higher cost of living in LA vs. Miami.

That 27 million after state taxes is now down to 24.3 million...factor in cost of living and now it is 20.7 million.

So to put it in perspective, it makes perfect sense for Odom. He gets roughly equal amounts of money (in spending power), more years which is obviously important to him and gets to be away from Kobe Bryant.

Well if you put it that way...

YellowFever
07-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Well Economically,

vs

If that's the case, why isn't he signed with miami yet?

La Peace
07-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Because that's not the case. http://twitpic.com/amj44

21_Blessings
07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Owned.

spursfan1000
07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Maybe he misses Miami?
Maybe he doesn't like Kobe?
Maybe he wants a change of scenery?
Maybe he doesn't like the way Buss is treating him?
Maybe there is a lot animosity between him and the organization?
Maybe it might be easier for him to compete in the Eastern Conference than the West?

Agreed.

symple19
07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
So name one player that wins without "major" help.
The first Spurs Championship team - Tim Duncan

fleggy2k2
07-17-2009, 08:36 AM

plus you can meet michael weston. i like his narrations.

"being in the nba is a lot like kindergarten. whoever has the most cookies will be your best friend, until that one day where you decide to be a dumbass and make the mentally challenged kid who brought celery sticks to lunch be your new best friend."

also, i saw an episode where fiona was in a bikini and she didn't have a belly button :wow
like, it was just skin. no hole or anything.

Culburn369
07-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Oh, yes, the strike ring.

lefty
07-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh, yes, the strike ring.
Every team played the same number of games that season; even the Lakers who got swept at home :lmao

SpursFanInAustin
07-17-2009, 10:31 AM

I would say the 2003 Spurs team was more of a one-man superstar team than the 1999 one.

In 1999, David Robinson was towards the end of his prime years and was still a solid player up until 2001. Sean Elliott was still pretty good, even though his scoring did drop and he changed his role to being more of a defensive stopper.

In 2003, as many have said, Tim Duncan was the MVP with David Robinson being 37 years old being a shell of his former self as he was suffering from back and knee injuries. Parker was a 20 year old kid who played well at times but struggled in games where he would be pulled for Speedy Claxton or Steve Kerr to finish games in the playoffs. Manu was an ex-factor, but he wasn't the player in 03 that he was in 2005. Jackson averaged around 12 ppg and pretty much had his coming out party in 03 with the Spurs, but he probably became a better player once he left the Spurs.