PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Southwest Texas Fan
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Just saw the movie last night and I liked it.

JoeChalupa
07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
My oldest saw it last night and gave it a :tu .

CosmicCowboy
07-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Gonna see it this afternoon at the bijou.

easjer
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Going to see it this weekend.

Sp Ginobili 20
07-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Saw it at the midnight showing. I waited in line at 9:30, and the line was insane. The movie was worth the wait. I give it a high B+

ATRAIN
07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Saw it yesterday, seemed too much like a set up movie with really no finish. Was good but seemed to much like a filler.

Sp Ginobili 20
07-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Saw it yesterday, seemed too much like a set up movie with really no finish. Was good but seemed to much like a filler.

Ditto about the ending. I think they just did that because they're going to continue on the story with the first part of the 7th movie.

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Nice cashgrab on warner bros. Part to make the 7th book 2 movies

sonic21
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
entertaining but not very similar to the book

easjer
07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Glad I didn't re-read the book first then.

Trainwreck2100
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Good, considering its the worst of the series

jack sommerset
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I thought it was cool. I have not seen all of them but with that said it is my favorite.

JoeChalupa
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Here we go again. :lol

JoeChalupa
07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I haven't read any of the books but enjoy the movies.

sonic21
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Here we go again. :lol

:lol i know a movie can't be like the book but i thought they didn't explain anything. It must be hard for someone who didn't read the book to understand what's happening.

travis2
07-17-2009, 05:53 AM
I enjoyed it, but some of the re-writes didn't make sense to me...

JoeChalupa
07-17-2009, 07:30 AM
:lol i know a movie can't be like the book but i thought they didn't explain anything. It must be hard for someone who didn't read the book to understand what's happening.

Not really. I've been able to follow along okay without having to know every detail. But I did think that Harry should have ended up with Hermonia or whatever her name is. I find them entertaining.
I remember watching The Shining before I read the book and the book was much better.

sonic21
07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Not really. I've been able to follow along okay without having to know every detail. But I did think that Harry should have ended up with Hermonia or whatever her name is. I find them entertaining.
I remember watching The Shining before I read the book and the book was much better.

I have only 1 problem with the movies, they completely destroyed ron's character (he's my favourite). He's awesome in the books.

JoeChalupa
07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I have only 1 problem with the movies, they completely destroyed ron's character (he's my favourite). He's awesome in the books.

Now I have heard that before. Maybe I will read the books. Maybe that is why Ron gets her.

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
For you guys fighting the crowds at the big boxes, the theater at the Bijou was basically empty yesterday except for my group...plus they have cold shiner bock on draft!

sonic21
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
they showed a twilight commercial before the movie, people were booing during all the commercial :lol.

Phillip
07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
only fags watch hairy fagger

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Helena Bonham Carter absolutely OWNS every scene she is in...

travis2
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
In an interview, she said her character was "barking", so she can play it any way she wants...

leemajors
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/potter.jpg

easjer
07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Bellatrix is barking and Helena Bonham Carter is fantastic when given free reign.

Alan Rickman owns Snape. He is the perfect Snape, especially considering how JKR wrote Snape in the end.

I don't think HBP was the worst - the worst is easily 7. She wrote a lame fanfic of a book. In fact, I've read better, more thoughtful fan-fictions. There are a handful of great scenes thrown around a hasty, ill-explained or prepared plot. Bah.

I cry very easily these days - is the ending the same as the book? Do I need Kleenex?

Cry Havoc
07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
The books are good, but a bit overrated.

For some actually fantastic fantasy, read George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Bellatrix is barking and Helena Bonham Carter is fantastic when given free reign.

Alan Rickman owns Snape. He is the perfect Snape, especially considering how JKR wrote Snape in the end.

I don't think HBP was the worst - the worst is easily 7. She wrote a lame fanfic of a book. In fact, I've read better, more thoughtful fan-fictions. There are a handful of great scenes thrown around a hasty, ill-explained or prepared plot. Bah.

I cry very easily these days - is the ending the same as the book? Do I need Kleenex?

I saw some eyes getting wiped when Dumbledore got whacked. Unlike the book they didn't end with the funeral.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Bellatrix is great and so is Snape. I also liked Dumbledore and how his acting in the series has evolved. The scene where he begs Harry to stop giving him the water is great. GOF and POA are my favorites in the series but this one is right up there as well.

easjer
07-17-2009, 01:07 PM
OK, thanks for the heads up. I'm probably going to be surrounded by children tomorrow. I will have to drug SFIE to get him to go with, sigh.

travis2
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Rickman is normally very good as Snape...but I did not like how he played the role during the early scene with Narcissa and Bellatrix...it did not make sense to me in light of what his role is in book 7...

CosmicCowboy
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Rickman is normally very good as Snape...but I did not like how he played the role during the early scene with Narcissa and Bellatrix...it did not make sense to me in light of what his role is in book 7...

My impression was that he got trapped on that one by Bellatrix. He went into it thinking he was taking the vow just to to help and protect Malfoy...Bellatrix added the part after the fact about completing the mission if Malfoy couldn't or didn't...

Severus Snape
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
My impression was that he got trapped on that one by Bellatrix. He went into it thinking he was taking the vow just to to help and protect Malfoy...Bellatrix added the part after the fact about completing the mission if Malfoy couldn't or didn't...No, no no.... I knew what I was doing. Dumbledore wanted me to kill him.... he didn't want Malfoys soul 'ripped apart' from the act that Voldemort was putting him up to. And he was dying anyway from the cursed ring (hence why his hand is blackened). Thats why he pleaded with me at the end. Not to save him, but to put an end to his misery.

Xylus
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Helena Bonham Carter absolutely OWNS every scene she is in...

I loved the movie, but I can't stand Helena Bonham Carter in this role. I know Bellatrix is insane, but I think she's turned the character into something far too...cartoony, for lack of a better term.

Favorite scene in the movie: Harry's final appeal to Professor Slughorn for information on Tom Riddle, and Slughorn's description of Lily Potter's gift. I teared up a little. Jim Broadbent gave a fantastic performance as a character I didn't really like all that much in the books.

Also, this is probably the first movie in the whole series that Gambon gave a really good performance as Dumbledore.

TheTruth
07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
We saw the midnight screening...I loved the movie up until the end, where was the big battle scene??? Lots of build up to nothing *sigh* hopefully the next two movies will be phenomenal.

-Ginofan-

L.I.T
07-18-2009, 02:15 AM
The books are good, but a bit overrated.

For some actually fantastic fantasy, read George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Sure...if he ever publishes the fifth book. It's been in limbo for what, three years now (ever since they split the fourth into two books)?

Looking forward to seeing HP6 tonight. So far I've been able to keep the books and the movies as separate entities in my head. So I haven't been as annoyed by anything lost in translation. Kinda like LOTR.

holcs50
07-18-2009, 04:23 AM
No, no no.... I knew what I was doing. Dumbledore wanted me to kill him.... he didn't want Malfoys soul 'ripped apart' from the act that Voldemort was putting him up to. And he was dying anyway from the cursed ring (hence why his hand is blackened). Thats why he pleaded with me at the end. Not to save him, but to put an end to his misery.

Wow, lmao. Talk about spoiler! Well I saw it tonight, thought it was one of the better movies of the series-i thought the last one was soooo shitty (order). Goblet was wesome, azkaban had its moments, chamber was awesome, and the first is of course pretty cool. Im not a HP addict so i don't read the books, but i find the movies pretty good adventures and really unique compared to other movies out, def one of the better movies this summer.

I was a bad boy though, as soon as I got home i wikipedia'd deathly hallows to see what happens, and what the spoiler poster above pointed out was somewhat of a surprise but not all that much because snape has always been a tough character to figure out. Im glad as hell i wiki'd it instead of reading the spoiler on here. I definitely think the movie should play out cool though, rowling said that snapes character she thought about from day one of writing the books and you can tell because he has so many secrets and alterior motives-im glad it turned out like it does in the last book with snape.

angel_luv
07-18-2009, 01:36 PM

That is what I heard from a friend who is a huge fan of the Harry Potter books.

travis2
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
My impression was that he got trapped on that one by Bellatrix. He went into it thinking he was taking the vow just to to help and protect Malfoy...Bellatrix added the part after the fact about completing the mission if Malfoy couldn't or didn't...

But it shouldn't have mattered. He already knew he was supposed to whack Dumbledore at some point.

I think it would have played better had he done it showing cold annoyance with Bellatrix for doubting him.

travis2
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I loved the movie, but I can't stand Helena Bonham Carter in this role. I know Bellatrix is insane, but I think she's turned the character into something far too...cartoony, for lack of a better term.

Favorite scene in the movie: Harry's final appeal to Professor Slughorn for information on Tom Riddle, and Slughorn's description of Lily Potter's gift. I teared up a little. Jim Broadbent gave a fantastic performance as a character I didn't really like all that much in the books.

Also, this is probably the first movie in the whole series that Gambon gave a really good performance as Dumbledore.

Still think Richard Harris defined the role, but I agree Gambon did a better job this time around.

Broadbent did make him a more "decent" character than in the books.

I know it didn't follow the book well, but I liked the larger exploration of the relationships between the trio than was present in the book.

And tell me you've never known some psycho chick like the Lavender Brown character...:lol

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2009, 11:42 AM
And tell me you've never known some psycho chick like the Lavender Brown character...:lol

I got stalked by one like her when I was a freshman in college...we hooked up a few times...I moved on, she went psycho stalker. It was bizarre.

easjer
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, various issues arose so I wasn't able to see it this weekend and I refuse to pay premium prices because they are so outrageous - looks like it'll be next weekend for me.

Red Hawk #21
07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I just saw the movie last night and Im very disappointed. I have read all of the harry potter books and this is what I have to say : So much Shit that was in the book was cut out. Especially crucial parts like the dementors that attacked Dudley dursley, the formation of Dumbledore's army, the funeral, the exclusion of Angelina black and Crabbe and Goyle. And so much other stuff was excluded.

sonic21
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
I just saw the movie last night and Im very disappointed. I have read all of the harry potter books and this is what I have to say : So much Shit that was in the book was cut out. Especially crucial parts like the dementors that attacked Dudley dursley, the formation of Dumbledore's army, the funeral, the exclusion of Angelina black and Crabbe and Goyle. And so much other stuff was excluded.

the dementors attack and Dumbledore's army were in the previous movie.

Who's angelina black? Did you mean Angelina Johnson? She's not in the 6th book.

But i agree, the final battle should have been in the movie.

Red Hawk #21
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
the dementors attack and Dumbledore's army were in the previous movie.

Who's angelina black? Did you mean Angelina Johnson? She's not in the 6th book.

But i agree, the final battle should have been in the movie.

I think I must have been mixing part 5 and part 6 up, thanks for the correction. Yea and I think it was Angelina Johnson. In the book Angelina was a tall, black girl who was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Yo Btw, did you see Rupert grinn(Ron) and Tom Felton (Malfoy) ? Dudes have really grown. Daniel radcliffe still looks the same.

Btw, in HBP, Draco was mostly with this Tall, skinny black kid instead of Crabbe and Goyle. Do you know who that kid was supposed to be in the book?

sonic21
07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I think I must have been mixing part 5 and part 6 up, thanks for the correction. Yea and I think it was Angelina Johnson. In the book Angelina was a tall, black girl who was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Yo Btw, did you see Rupert grinn(Ron) and Tom Felton (Malfoy) ? Dudes have really grown. Daniel radcliffe still looks the same.

Btw, in HBP, Draco was mostly with this Tall, skinny black kid instead of Crabbe and Goyle. Do you know who that kid was supposed to be in the book?

the tall black kid is Blaise, he's the guy who is in the slug club in the book.
can't remember if he has an important role though.

Red Hawk #21
07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
the tall black kid is Blaise, he's the guy who is in the slug club in the book.
can't remember if he has an important role though.

I think I may have to read Half-blood prince over...
My favorite out of the movies so far has been "Prisoner of Azkaban". It sux that Sirius is gone.

sonic21
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I think I may have to read Half-blood prince over...
My favorite out of the movies so far has been "Prisoner of Azkaban". It sux that Sirius is gone.

didn't like Prisoner... coz they cut the marauders story

ploto
07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I actually liked that they chose not to have yet another movie with a battle scene but instead ended the film on a more reflective note.

People always complain about things left out, but you simply can not include everything from a 700 page book in a 2 1/2 hour movie.

Xylus
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
The best movie in the series was "Order of the Phoenix," for two reasons:

1. Harry and Sirius's dialogue in the tapestry room.
2. Dumbledore vs. Voldemort. OMG

alamo50
07-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Not worth the time nor the money.Damn that movie sucked bad!

Trainwreck2100
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM

yes but Gary Oldman can only do so much and he won't be back till the end of the seventh one, that movie was easily the worst of the series

mrcoon29
07-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Absolutely..I had to poke awake one of the girls I went with! :lol

Trainwreck2100
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Absolutely..I had to poke awake one of the girls I went with! :lol

did you use your penis?

mrcoon29
07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
did you use your penis?

:lmao

Darrin
07-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Saw the movie this weekend with my mother, who is big into the books. I have some passing knowledge in Harry Potter from seeing the first movie in theatres and catching up last weekend on the movies before I went to this one.

I found the movie, by and large, to be simply a set-up for the next movie. Slughorn is the most interesting character and we spend most of the movie trying to figure him out. Harry's less-than-subtle detective work shuts it down, however, as Harry is the audience. The character-building of Tom Riddle/Voldemort was to be the most interesting potential in the movie, however, we spent very little time doing anything else besides playing with the teen characters' budding sexuality. That was frustrating. I felt like I was watching a bad episode of Dawson's Creek. A more learned script would've found a way to tie in what the characters were going through to the monster they face. What can I say? Joss Whedon ruined me on that front.

If equal time had been given to Draco and Harry we would've learned to see the differences in the two characters and how they face magic and teenage angst. And in the end, while troubled, why Draco is not as bad as his teacher. Instead, this movie keeps it simple with almost cartoon-like ideals of good and evil. There's no relevance to anything that Harry and that kid share because kids are always right or wrong, never gray. And therefore no practical application to how to deal with the the complex situations we face in everyday life. For the PG-13 audience, that theme wouldn't have been out-of-place.

I didn't like how we found out, especially with how early it was, that Snape was a bad guy. You keep waiting the entire movie for him to twirl his mustache and he's not creepy anymore, just evil. I want it to be the big reveal at the end. Snape plays for the dark side. He betrays Dumbledore. Heartbreak ensues. Next movie.

All in all, I give it a 4 out of 10. The fact that it's a series of movies, I grade it on a curve--5 out of 10.

travis2
07-27-2009, 05:51 AM
I didn't like how we found out, especially with how early it was, that Snape was a bad guy. You keep waiting the entire movie for him to twirl his mustache and he's not creepy anymore, just evil. I want it to be the big reveal at the end. Snape plays for the dark side. He betrays Dumbledore. Heartbreak ensues. Next movie.

If you had read the books you wouldn't be saying this.

SpursSecurity
07-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Saw the movie the other day and had the same feeling as most. A decent film, kept me into it, but the ending kinda sucked...It kind of left the door open for more.

travis2
07-27-2009, 05:59 AM
It was supposed to.

Darrin
07-27-2009, 07:36 AM
If you had read the books you wouldn't be saying this.

Why?

KidCongo
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM

I agree. No. 5 has been my favourite. This last one had too much story, but as my friend told me it was meant to be like that, to prepare us for the final movie.

easjer
07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Saw it Saturday. Liked it as a movie. Hated it as a Harry Potter series movie.

Granted they can't put 700 pages into a 2.5 hour movie, but I was very disappointed in it. Bottom line. The big battle was all shown in the previews, there was no explanation as to who Fenrir Greyback is and why it's such a menace to see him there and no outrage that the Death Eaters were led directly into the castle (I loved that the remnants of the DA fought them off, where was that?).

And one of my favorite parts of the entire effing series is Harry and Ginny, being together. What the hell? His kiss with Cho Chang was longer and more meaningful! This is supposed to be the BIG LOVE of Harry's life and they never really got together! Bloody hell, he thinks of her as he is dying - remembers that kiss - and that is it?! BAH.

Daniel Radcliffe is only 5'6" tall, so no he doesn't look as grown as the others, but I think he and Rupert Grint have come a very long way as actors. I think they are fabulous. And I didn't want to break Emma Watson's neck for once, so it looks like someone explained to her that acting isn't just scrunching your eyebrows and forcing enunciated words out, so yay for that.

TheProfessor
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Granted they can't put 700 pages into a 2.5 hour movie, but I was very disappointed in it. Bottom line. The big battle was all shown in the previews, there was no explanation as to who Fenrir Greyback is and why it's such a menace to see him there and no outrage that the Death Eaters were led directly into the castle (I loved that the remnants of the DA fought them off, where was that?).

And one of my favorite parts of the entire effing series is Harry and Ginny, being together. What the hell? His kiss with Cho Chang was longer and more meaningful! This is supposed to be the BIG LOVE of Harry's life and they never really got together! Bloody hell, he thinks of her as he is dying - remembers that kiss - and that is it?! BAH.

Daniel Radcliffe is only 5'6" tall, so no he doesn't look as grown as the others, but I think he and Rupert Grint have come a very long way as actors. I think they are fabulous. And I didn't want to break Emma Watson's neck for once, so it looks like someone explained to her that acting isn't just scrunching your eyebrows and forcing enunciated words out, so yay for that.
I liked it fine as a Potter film. I think they've carved out a three picture arc with Prince and the next two films that will see more on Harry's fixation with Ginny, along with other issues left out of this one. And I didn't mind some of the finer points being left out - with stuff like Fenrir, Potter fans know who he is (I like how he talks about finishing them "his way"), but for those who don't read the books, there's no extra information thrown in there to confuse them.

To me, it was like watching BBC Potter - more quiet time and interaction with the characters, which I had really missed in every previous film. If the end is somewhat anticlimactic, I think it was artfully done, especially Dumbledore's last stand. Overall, a different kind of Potter film, but that's not a bad thing.

easjer
07-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't care if they eliminated Fenrir as a character and showed another Death Eater. But focusing on him, I felt like we were supposed to know the backstory (and I did, having read the books - but how are they going to leave Bill out of this, when Shell Cottage plays such a big role later? I was expecting to see something of Bill and Fleur, as I assumed half the reason for splitting book 7 was to include the wedding), and instead, there was random menacing Death Eater.

I don't mind more quiet time with the characters, I'm just disappointed that I'd already seen the entirety of the battle in the previews, when the previews led me to expect it was going to be bigger.

Hard to please everyone and get all the nuances of the story arc out there, in a relatively short film, but I was left disappointed.

travis2
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Why?

Because the scene with the Unbreakable Vow at the beginning of the movie is also at the beginning of the book. And he still kills Dumbledore at the end of the book. And you spend the entire book wondering WTF is really going on with Snape and Dumbledore.

It will be explained. Trust me.

travis2
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM

I think they could have done Harry and Ginny together better too...

What I'm wondering is how they're going to handle the 1st part of DH now that the Burrow is charcoal...

easjer
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Also had that thought. So confused by that whole scene, it seemed so unnecessary, and that time could have gone to explaining something else. . .

Anyone else have to take a step back and go 'who is that with Remus?' They never said who Tonks was! Or explained that they were together now. She's just some chick, who looked very different than in the fifth movie, who called Remus sweetheart.

travis2
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I knew who it was immediately...but my reaction was 'WTF?'

Also, I thought Snape looked different in this movie, and yesterday I finally figured out why...they shampooed his hair! :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I was confused by the part where Hans Gruber killed Professor X.

travis2
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I think I would be too...

easjer
07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I knew who it was immediately...but my reaction was 'WTF?'

Also, I thought Snape looked different in this movie, and yesterday I finally figured out why...they shampooed his hair! :lol

They also cut it differently so he would look a bit younger. They've been trying since Movie 5, when they realized he is supposed to be contemporary with Harry's parents. Oops.

Maggie Scott (MacGonagall) was looking OLD in this one.

travis2
07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Maggie Smith IS old...almost 75...

According to IMDB, she is also recovering from breast cancer...:wow

Fpoonsie
07-27-2009, 03:06 PM
As someone else mentioned, they spent WAY too much time on the "romantic exploits" of the Hogwarts kids. Unfortunately, that kinda shallow story line appeals to tha majority of your casual, non-reader fan of HP.

My BIGGEST fear was that they wouldn't nail the Dumbledore death scene, but fortunately, for the MOST part, they hit it outta the park (for me). The ONLY problem I had was what they did w/ Harry in that scene. I thought the fact that Dumbledore petrified Harry in place so he PHYSICALLY couldn't do a single thing but watch was TRULY heartbreaking. Instead, they just had him watch and CHOOSE to stay hidden. Lame.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I cant believe how many people didnt like this book in the series.

I thought it was the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Harry Potter series. Especially after the complete "filler" that was "Order of the Phoenix". This novel developed the characters and provided huge insight into some of the backstory. Not to mention following Harry trying out random stuff he would find in his text book was quite entertaining.

However, I thought the movie had the same problems all the films have had:

1) They picked some pretty crappy child actors as the stars (the minor characters they cast later are much better)

2) The timing and delivery of much of the comedy in the novels doesnt translate well to film (think of Ron trying to stop the crashing flying car with his busted up wand in the second film/book).

3) Harry is a little bitch in the film. You wonder how any real adult would ever believe this kid could somehow save the world as Dumbledore does.

easjer
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
As someone else mentioned, they spent WAY too much time on the "romantic exploits" of the Hogwarts kids. Unfortunately, that kinda shallow story line appeals to tha majority of your casual, non-reader fan of HP.

Or . . . there are plenty of the avid fans of HP that appreciate the relationships as being a crucial part of the story, especially for Harry regarding Ginny.

And there was NOWHERE near enough attention devoted to that storyline, which, for me, is one of the central things of HBP.

TheProfessor
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM

My BIGGEST fear was that they wouldn't nail the Dumbledore death scene, but fortunately, for the MOST part, they hit it outta the park (for me). The ONLY problem I had was what they did w/ Harry in that scene. I thought the fact that Dumbledore petrified Harry in place so he PHYSICALLY couldn't do a single thing but watch was TRULY heartbreaking. Instead, they just had him watch and CHOOSE to stay hidden. Lame.
I don't understand why people are getting upset about the romantic exploits angle. Lavender/Ron/Hermione was an enormous part of the book, much of the conflict and development between Ron and Hermione happens as a result of that triangle. Ditto for Harry and Ginny - I actually thought they could have used some more Dean to show how Harry was getting jealous, as in the book, rather than the "sees Ginny in the window and apparently loves her after hitting on some chick in the tunnels" thing.

Agree with you on the latter part - I assume they wanted Harry to choose in trusting Snape, who then commits an even more heinous betrayal. It sort of made Harry look like a puss, unfortunately.

ploto
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I think with the last book being in two movies that obviously some of book six will blend into the early part of the next movie and that they think two movies is plenty enough to develop further the relationship between Harry and Ginny.

PakiDan
07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok... here is my definitive review. Overall - I was largely impressed with the movie. Ron Weasley and Dumbledore when acting into the angst of the internal drama of the metaphores as pertaining to Akaban. The true emphasis of the magic and Order of the Phoenix is truly enlightened in the subtext of Hermione. Is she, or isn't she? Onle Snape can remorse over the Half Blood Prince's owl. When looking into the Paramore of Quiditch, one can see where are my pants? By that, and only then, will the Weasley brothers lament in the true content of the original script. As one can easily see, Hogwarts, Like life, is not only naked, but screaming over the wizardry of the last Potter.

easjer
07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I think with the last book being in two movies that obviously some of book six will blend into the early part of the next movie and that they think two movies is plenty enough to develop further the relationship between Harry and Ginny.

I'm really curious to see how they do that without the wedding. I mean, I can sort of see more development, but doesn't it depend on how soon they leave for the Horcrux hunt? Because Harry breaks up with Ginny before the end of HBP - they have a few weeks together and then he tries to keep her out of danger.

They only have that one moment on his birthday in book 7, then JKR completely shunts her aside and forgets about her until the very end, when she is what Harry thinks of when he lets Voldemort attack.

The meat of their romance was in HBP. I could have done with far less Lavender (though I enjoyed it immensely on screen) and far more Harry and Ginny.

Take with heaping helpings of salt of course, because that has always been one of my favorite aspects (at least once Sirius was whacked), and remains my favorite aspect in fanfic.

Along these lines though - I sort of thought that in lieu of a Burrow wedding of Bill and Fleur, we might see a Tonks/Remus wedding instead. If they want to include the wedding (which . . . they have to get that info in there somewhere, and when I heard they were splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 movies, I assumed it was specifically to spend time with this, since so much of the book can be illustrated via montage on screen).

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Ok... here is my definitive review. Overall - I was largely impressed with the movie. Ron Weasley and Dumbledore when acting into the angst of the internal drama of the metaphores as pertaining to Akaban. The true emphasis of the magic and Order of the Phoenix is truly enlightened in the subtext of Hermione. Is she, or isn't she? Onle Snape can remorse over the Half Blood Prince's owl. When looking into the Paramore of Quiditch, one can see where are my pants? By that, and only then, will the Weasley brothers lament in the true content of the original script. As one can easily see, Hogwarts, Like life, is not only naked, but screaming over the wizardry of the last Potter.

I hereby dub thee the Kill Bill Rowling.

travis2
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm really curious to see how they do that without the wedding. I mean, I can sort of see more development, but doesn't it depend on how soon they leave for the Horcrux hunt? Because Harry breaks up with Ginny before the end of HBP - they have a few weeks together and then he tries to keep her out of danger.

They only have that one moment on his birthday in book 7, then JKR completely shunts her aside and forgets about her until the very end, when she is what Harry thinks of when he lets Voldemort attack.

The meat of their romance was in HBP. I could have done with far less Lavender (though I enjoyed it immensely on screen) and far more Harry and Ginny.

Take with heaping helpings of salt of course, because that has always been one of my favorite aspects (at least once Sirius was whacked), and remains my favorite aspect in fanfic.

Along these lines though - I sort of thought that in lieu of a Burrow wedding of Bill and Fleur, we might see a Tonks/Remus wedding instead. If they want to include the wedding (which . . . they have to get that info in there somewhere, and when I heard they were splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 movies, I assumed it was specifically to spend time with this, since so much of the book can be illustrated via montage on screen).

Remus/Tonks...Unfortunately, right now we are left with the impression that they are already married. They weren't even supposed to be together until the end of HBP. And the state of their marriage (and how it was obtained) is definitely a major player in the plot development in the book (although the actual amount of screen time would have been small).

Horcruxes...None of the other memories dealing with what Riddle might have used as a Horcrux were dealt with. Now, it's possible that they might handle this through flashbacks, thus shortening the possibility of DH1 becoming "Harry Potter and the Really Long Camping Trip"...but that seems (to me) to be a clumsy way to handle it.

Ginny...The fact that Harry "dumped" her...even temporarily...is (I agree with you) an important part of the plot. I am as dumbfounded as you are as to how they are going to piece this back together.

Another puzzler (not a big one, but still)...the current breakpoint between DH1 and DH2 is projected to be after H/R/H are captured by the Snatchers. But...after a chase?

easjer
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Remus/Tonks...Unfortunately, right now we are left with the impression that they are already married. They weren't even supposed to be together until the end of HBP. And the state of their marriage (and how it was obtained) is definitely a major player in the plot development in the book (although the actual amount of screen time would have been small).

Right. I just don't know how (or where, for that matter) they are going to pull off this first part of the book. I can see the leaving Privet Drive scene - but they regather at the Burrow. Where the hell are the Weasleys going to be living? So confused by that. And the information about the Deathly Hallows and to some extent about Dumbledore (if they are going to keep JKR's trashing of the mythic hero/mentor so the protege can grow into his own, which I disliked in the book - actually, I've come to dislike most of DH as a story, lol) comes out there, as well as the plans for the Long Camping Trip. . . I just don't see how the first half the movie can play out or come together.

Horcruxes...None of the other memories dealing with what Riddle might have used as a Horcrux were dealt with. Now, it's possible that they might handle this through flashbacks, thus shortening the possibility of DH1 becoming "Harry Potter and the Really Long Camping Trip"...but that seems (to me) to be a clumsy way to handle it.

True. The Horcrux Hunt was bad enough knowing the few bits they knew - Hufflepuff's cup, the locket, the diary, the ring, something of Ravenclaw's or Gryffindor's, the snake . . . Now what do they do? Maybe there will be more studying or a message from Dumbledore explaining (or maybe he'll just leave Harry the pensieve and the memories).

I'm still baffled as to how DH is split in two - if anything, I thought OotP or HBP were more likely candidates, because so much of DH seemed relatively easy to condense or film in 2 hours. Especially since so much of the story details were sacrificed in OotP and now HBP. Like - what is the point in bringing Dobby back at all? You can do a shorter Snatcher scene, because Dobby hasn't existed since movie 2.

Ginny...The fact that Harry "dumped" her...even temporarily...is (I agree with you) an important part of the plot. I am as dumbfounded as you are as to how they are going to piece this back together.

Another puzzler (not a big one, but still)...the current breakpoint between DH1 and DH2 is projected to be after H/R/H are captured by the Snatchers. But...after a chase?

I had no idea that was where the break was expected to be. I'm so puzzled by that. I thought it would take place either after Ron leaves or after the confrontation in Godric's Hollow. Those seemed like natural half-way points to me - everything looking bleak, Harry standing practically on his own, with no clue where to turn next, and now his wand is broken. . .

But I could see it being right after Ron returns, which is right before the Snatchers, but the Snatcher scene . . . what is next after that? It all speeds up to the big ending from there. They go to Shell Cottage, plot and plan, then the Gringotts escapade and from there to Hogwarts in nearly the same night, right? Or the next day? It's very close. Then the battle, then the end.

How is that a 2 hour movie?

Meh.

But on a positive note for the HBP movie, I loved loved loved what they did with Malfoy's character as a reluctant Death Eater. Crying over the bird - loved it.

travis2
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I also thought the natural break would have been right after Ron left...or even better, after Harry and Hermione moved on right after Ron left (picture Hermione sitting on the rock crying, Harry doing the big circle, fade to black and "To be continued..."). But when I read about the current breakpoint, I looked at the book again...and the Ron split actually occurs pretty early. Well before the half-way point.

As far as what's left after the Snatchers scene...actually there's a lot they could put in there. Besides there being lots of action at Hogwarts, there's also the Pensieve scene with Snape's memory, the walk into the forest, the dream sequence at King's Cross...I can see those three taking up half an hour minimum...and of course those scenes require some build-up...

I also know they're doing the epilogue...but I don't know how long they'll make it. I do know they are going to use the original actors and "age" them rather than bring in closely-resembling adults.

Malfoy...that thought crossed my mind, but after a while I rejected it. Personally I feel it's more he's finally facing the fact he could die if he doesn't figure that cabinet out.

easjer
07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Ok, I can sort of see that. If Snape's memories take awhile - and since the only scene I still love from DH is the death/King's Cross scene I want them to do it justice, I can see that.

I had the same image of the ending for DH 1 - and thought that if they were going to take the time to split it in two, it made for a natural ending point and allowed more exposition in the first half (which seems more important than ever now that they have NO IDEA what they are searching for . . .).

I'm sure the entire Deathly Hallows will need explanation, though JKR did a poor enough job in the book (seriously - it's not love or some other driving, overarching force that saves Harry and is the power he knows not - it's dubious wandlore that is not ever really mentioned before that point? And he doesn't even unite the Deathly Hallows in a meaningful way, he just ends up weirdly possessing them in a way that you could drive a Mac truck through the plot holes and lack of explanation) that the movie shouldn't have to worry over too many details.

And they'll play up the Gringott's scene a lot and probably try to really eke out the emotions with the deaths in the battle (don't get me started on killing who she killed. Get it, still hate it - and still angry over some of them).

The epilogue shouldn't take that much time on film though. I think the movies will redeem themselves to some extent if they include the scene JKR left out, which is the reunion of Harry and Ginny. . .

I thought the way they tied it together with Malfoy at the end, looking on in horror as Bellatrix destroyed the Great Hall was awesome. I suppose an argument could be made that he's just scared because he didn't complete his task himself, but I thought Tom Felton played it more like he was in over his head and just realizing it, which could tie in nicely for the DH and the epilogue.

travis2
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm with you on the Hallows stuff...that part seemed to be the proverbial square peg.

They have to play up the Harry/Ginny relationship...it's been given such short shrift so far. And yeah, I think the "reunion" should have been in the book, instead of that wimpy "they might have hours, days, maybe even years in which to talk..." AAARRRGGGHHH!!

Hmmmmm...you have a point about Malfoy at the end. At least by that point, yeah, he could be feeling just how deep he is in the shit. (But I'm not changing my mind about the bird...:p: :lol )

sonic21
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Ron's Return: If nothing else gets right, I want this done correctly. Ron is my favorite character and has been for ten years. I feel that people really kind of lost sight of Ron and who he was leading up to DH. I really think many fans only thought of him as the goofy side-kick who wasn't good for much.

easjer
07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I loved Ron's return as well. He really grew up then. I think Rupert Grint does a good great job with Ron. Much better than Emma Watson with Hermione, anyway (though like I said earlier, I didn't want to kill her this time, so thumbs up for that).

The other thing I liked about this movie was the Quidditch. I thought that was fun, and better than expected.

But back to things I hated/that were left out - I think the fact that you don't see Neville really at all in this one is going to make his transformation at the end harder to buy. It's such a gradual change up to the fifth book, where he really gets motivated and starts growing to being right there in the Dept of Mysteries and making a stand at the school against the Death Eaters. I think taking on a leadership role against the the Death Eaters in DH will be harder to understand without that formative period of fighting back in HBP.

sonic21
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
emma watson's acting was awful in Goblet of Fire. She got better though.

easjer
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought she was worse in OotP. It's like she thought acting meant 'furrow your brow and overenunciate, then you'll seem serious and concerned' -ugh. What's worse is that she's studied acting at prestigious British schools. She should be better than she is, she was clearly overthinking and overacting.

sonic21
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
well i haven't seen Order yet so i trust you on this.

travis2
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Her bouncing eyebrows in OotP drove me to distraction. Fortunately it looks like someone slapped her so hard prior to HBP that her forehead muscles were paralyzed...:lol

As far as dialogue goes, I suspect she was over-directed in OotP. She wasn't the only one suffering in that respect.

easjer
07-28-2009, 02:16 PM
One of her best scenes in OotP was when they were all sitting in the common room after Harry kissed Cho. They were all apparently just screwing around and being silly and the director kept the cut because he thought it was more natural - and it was. For a brief minute, she seemed like a high school age girl with two clueless boys for best friends, and not An Actress Trying To Nail The Scene.