PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love talks about how Tim Duncan owned him

spectator
07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4332132

scroll around the 13th minute & enjoy the story

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
"I told you I was gonna teach you a lesson" hahaha. Good Shit from Kevin Love.

duncan228
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
From Love's NBA blog, the first game he played against Duncan.

Epic
Nov 7, 2008
Posted by Kevin Love

WEDNESDAY'S EPIC GAME

It was crazy. It was my first going up against Tim Duncan. And to see him work and all his moves and how he's a finisher around the bucket. I've always looked up to his game while I was growing up. He's a ... serious player. He's the greatest winner in the past 10 years. And far as best player goes, it's probably him.

So going up against him, and learning from him -- there were teaching points last night. He hit a 15-footer off the glass and I was running up the court and said 'Man, what can I do about that?' Well young fella, you can't do much about that, to be honest with you.

He's as good as advertised. And Tony Parker last night went absolutely off, though. Our game plan last night was to have our guards go under the screens and make him shoot contested jump shots. But he was making them. We stuck to our plan but he had one hell of a night.

Tony Parker was unbelievable. He had 55 points and I don't care who you are or who you play -- 55 points is 55 points.

With Tim Duncan, we went into two overtimes, and I would have thought, before I looked at the stat sheet thought maybe he had 15, 18 points and he ended up having 30 points and 16 rebounds. That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

We had the game in our hands, but they kept hitting big shots down the stretch. We only had 10 turnovers, had 35 assists on 47 shots. It was a good night for us, but we couldn't close it out. We needed just one more shot, one more rebound and it would have been our game.

You have to give credit to them. They really buckled down the last few shots and made 'em.

I can't say that I was surprised by the intensity of the game because we talked about it in the game plan. They were 0-3 for the first time in 1974 or 1975. We talked about how they were going to come out like it was Game 7 of a playoff series. They didn't want to be 0-4 for the first time in ages.

We came out with the same intensity. We matched them, got them down in the third quarter. Like I said, we had our chance to win the game. It was an intense game going into double overtime, we didn't close it out. We're 1-3, but we have a chance to be pretty good. We could be 3-1 right now, we could be 4-0, but we need start putting things together close out games and get some Ws.

Danny.Zhu
07-16-2009, 10:35 PM
That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

As always.

Agloco
07-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Epic
Nov 7, 2008
Posted by Kevin Love

WEDNESDAY'S EPIC GAME

That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

I can't think of a better summation. Can't think of a single player or sportscaster who hasn't said that about Timmy at some point in his career.

Summers
07-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks for finding it. :) I never pictured Tim straight up saying, "I'm gonna teach you a lesson young fella."

Nathan Explosion
07-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Epic
Nov 7, 2008
Posted by Kevin Love

WEDNESDAY'S EPIC GAME

It was crazy. It was my first going up against Tim Duncan. And to see him work and all his moves and how he's a finisher around the bucket. I've always looked up to his game while I was growing up. He's a ... serious player. He's the greatest winner in the past 10 years. And far as best player goes, it's probably him.

So going up against him, and learning from him -- there were teaching points last night. He hit a 15-footer off the glass and I was running up the court and said 'Man, what can I do about that?' Well young fella, you can't do much about that, to be honest with you.

He's as good as advertised. And Tony Parker last night went absolutely off, though. Our game plan last night was to have our guards go under the screens and make him shoot contested jump shots. But he was making them. We stuck to our plan but he had one hell of a night.

Tony Parker was unbelievable. He had 55 points and I don't care who you are or who you play -- 55 points is 55 points.

With Tim Duncan, we went into two overtimes, and I would have thought, before I looked at the stat sheet thought maybe he had 15, 18 points and he ended up having 30 points and 16 rebounds. That was the quietest 30 and 16 I've ever seen. He just goes out there and produces and gets it done.

We had the game in our hands, but they kept hitting big shots down the stretch. We only had 10 turnovers, had 35 assists on 47 shots. It was a good night for us, but we couldn't close it out. We needed just one more shot, one more rebound and it would have been our game.

You have to give credit to them. They really buckled down the last few shots and made 'em.

I can't say that I was surprised by the intensity of the game because we talked about it in the game plan. They were 0-3 for the first time in 1974 or 1975. We talked about how they were going to come out like it was Game 7 of a playoff series. They didn't want to be 0-4 for the first time in ages.

We came out with the same intensity. We matched them, got them down in the third quarter. Like I said, we had our chance to win the game. It was an intense game going into double overtime, we didn't close it out. We're 1-3, but we have a chance to be pretty good. We could be 3-1 right now, we could be 4-0, but we need start putting things together close out games and get some Ws.

I love how he calls Duncan the greatest winner of the past 10 years and recognizes that Duncan is probably the best player of the past decade.

But I've heard Kevin Love tell that story (in bold) and it's too funny. Good stuff.

DMX7
07-16-2009, 11:38 PM
K-Love is a pretty funny guy.

kromediablo
07-16-2009, 11:51 PM

Tim Duncan owns lots of players...don't feel bad.