PDA

View Full Version : Were Should James Gist Play?

BackHome
07-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok, If Gist continues his poor play do you think he should go back to Europe for one more year or do you think he should play for the Toros? I am hoping he can bouce back but for some reason I don't think we are seeing the real Gist?

So for his development do you think it would be in his best interest to play for the Toros or go back to Europe and try to develope into the SF role we are needing?

tmtcsc
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I think he may have a shot to prove himself in training camp and preseason games. The worst thing that happened to Gist was Blair.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 05:19 PM
IF he continues his poor play, I would want him to return to Europe.

IF he shows up and plays with energy and effort but is inconsistent then we should keep him in Austin.

IF he somehow blows up and starts putting up GREAT numbers while having a positive impact on the team and continues to do this during the preseason then we should think about bringing in.

Big P
07-16-2009, 05:21 PM

IF he shows up and plays with energy and effort but is inconsistent then we should keep him in Austin.

IF he somehow blows up and starts putting up GREAT numbers while having a positive impact on the team and continues to do this during the preseason then we should think about bringing in.

This

scottspurs
07-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I think Gist should play in Austin for the Toros. He has already done the Europe gig and I think it would do him good to learn the system better up in Austin. In Austin the Spurs can develop him into whatever position they want. That way he could be brought up if they needed him midseason because of injuries or a trade to fill out the roster.

biziofromdowntown
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
i think Spurs saved something from MLE and Blairs contract for him.

Da Spurs
07-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I think he may have a shot to prove himself in training camp and preseason games. The worst thing that happened to Gist was Blair.

Actually not. Blair was going to be on the team in any event. The worst thing that happened to Gist was Marcus Haislip.

Da Spurs
07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
i think Spurs saved something from MLE and Blairs contract for him.

No way, MLE is spent after Blair. He would be signing for the minimum so it doesn't matter.

biziofromdowntown
07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Worst thing that happened to Gist was his mental weak.

jimo2305
07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
yea i was hoping id get to enjoy gist this summer league..

even romel beck's got me more excited lol..

benefactor
07-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Gist is a bit of a mystery. He doesn't seem strong enough to play the 4 at the NBA level and he doesn't seem to have the skill set to be a 3. He seems to be strictly a small ball 4. Is such a situational player worth a roster spot?

He would help himself immensely over the next few games if he started showing some real aggression at the offensive end...hitting the rim hard and knocking down those outside jumpers like he did overseas.

zepn
07-16-2009, 05:35 PM
From what I've seen so far he has gotten worse after a year in Europe, so I don't think sending him back would be a good plan.

jimo2305
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
id jus feel kinda sorry for him because the guy seemed so enthused to make the roster but i dunno..

biziofromdowntown
07-16-2009, 05:40 PM
From what I've seen so far he has gotten worse after a year in Europe, so I don't think sending him back would be a good plan.

He's use to play the 4 against smaller players in Europe...as PF in Europe he could rock. not the same in NBA

benefactor
07-16-2009, 05:47 PM
He's use to play the 4 against smaller players in Europe...as PF in Europe he could rock. not the same in NBA
Exactly...and maybe that is his problem right now. Perhaps a season in Austin would be beneficial for him, as he would be matched up against bigger, more physical players.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM

That's a good point, perhaps putting him on the Toros instead of sending him back to Europe.

I. Hustle
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.livinglikenooneelse.com/forum/images/smilies/this_is_sparta.gif

Darkwaters
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
That's a good point, perhaps putting him on the Toros instead of sending him back to Europe.

I'm thinking this might make the most sense. But hes definitely not ready for the big club.

Borosai
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think the Spurs are looking to have 7 bigs on the roster, so unless they move someone or he starts playing out of his mind, he's not going to be on the team. I was really looking forward to see what he could do, but he just hasn't shown up.

And it's not just Blair: the Haislip signing came out of nowhere. So, we'll see.

Tonight --> double-double for Gist.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Europe pays better than the d-league, so I highly doubt Gist has any plans to be a toro unless he's got an NBA contract or believes he'll get an NBA contract sometime during the year.

Sway
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Not with the Spurs this year. Blair & Haislip pretty much ensured that.

bigdog
07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I can easily seem back overseas if he doesn't play well the rest of the SL. I doubt he would want to be with the Toros, unless he had a contract with the Spurs, which seems unlikely right now.

SPURSGOAT
07-16-2009, 07:09 PM

all bases covered...

benefactor
07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't think it's completely out of the question that the Spurs could sign Gist at the minimum and send him to the Toros. The Toros will be losing a lot of firepower in Williams and Hairston, so Gist would have a chance to get a lot of time with the ball in his hands.

EricB
07-16-2009, 07:16 PM
If he continues like this the best thing would be for him to go back to europe for a year.

Saves money and saves a roster spot for a 3rd point.

benefactor
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
If he continues like this the best thing would be for him to go back to europe for a year.

I'm putting my money on Marcus Williams being the third point.

loveforthegame
07-16-2009, 07:50 PM
If he doesn't show something in SL I'd rather him spend the year with the Toros like Hairston and Williams have done.

barbacoataco
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
My understanding was that Gist was in the process of learning the SF position and that his future with the Spurs was in that direction. When you look at the Spurs roster they are loaded with PF's, but they have room for a 5/6th SF/SG. If he can make that transition he has a better chance to make the team. I'm not sure he has the footwork or speed on the perimeter to make it.

IMO it was not productive having him play the season in Europe as a 4. He should have been learning the SF position if that really is where the Spurs intend to play him.

TheProfessor
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd prefer he return to Europe and play in a better league.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
If the Spurs think he is ever going to play the three, he should play in Austin. If Dwayne Jones and Eric Dawson come back, Gist could easily start at SF and play against some really quick competition on the perimeter.

If they think he is strictly a four, he can go back to Europe.

loveforthegame
07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd prefer he return to Europe and play in a better league.

You don't think he'd benefit with the Toros more? The same way Hairston and Williams went?

ChumpDumper
07-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Hairston and Williams learned how to play new positions on the Toros as well.

barbacoataco
07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Hairston and Williams learned how to play new positions on the Toros as well.

I think that would be better for Gist than returning to Europe and continuing to play a position that won't translate to the NBA.

TheProfessor
07-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Ehhh...I'm not convinced he can play the three at this point. If there's an extra roster spot just sitting there, then yeah, bring him over. I assume Hairston will be in SA with Williams. Just not sure how many roster spots there will be to go around...

AFBlue
07-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Can he play in Austin with the Toros while not being signed to the team, or do they have to waive their rights to him first?

Even doing so wouldn't be a bad idea...he could really benefit from playing a year in the Spurs system, and since he's clearly not ready I don't think there would be much chance of him getting scooped up by another team.

Last year he just went out and hustled his ass off, but he's clearly overthinking his role and second-guessing himself this summer. Again, finding his niche in the Spurs system could greatly benefit his long-term prospects with the club.

raspsa
07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
He has to be a 3 or a 4 and not something in between. This probably explains his tentativeness unlike last year when he was just playing his natural game at PF. The question is if he has the skills and quickness to transition to SF.. the Spurs are loaded at PF now and maybe the FO saw this coming when they signed Haislip who is a more proven player.

elbamba
07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
We need to wait until the Rocky Mountain tournament. That is the better one in my opinion. If he can play well there he has a shot of sticking around and maybe seeing some limited playing time. However, no matter what happens, I do not see him getting serious minutes with as deep as this team has gotten. He is not better then Harriston or Blair

ChumpDumper
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
We need to wait until the Rocky Mountain tournament.We're going to be waiting a very long time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
We're going to be waiting a very long time.

:lmao

BackHome
07-16-2009, 10:26 PM
You got that right...lol:rollin

SouthTexasRancher
07-16-2009, 10:31 PM

Yeah, I'm going along with this.

Too bad he has faltered so badly so far but, when everything is on the line, you gotta bring it. Gist & McClinton have a long, hard, uphill climb if things don't change drastically.......and in a hurry!

elbamba
07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
We're going to be waiting a very long time.

Just saw that. That sucks, I always liked the Rocky Mountain Revue.

ohmwrecker
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I never really understood the hype on Gist. I don't really care where he plays because he not going to help the Spurs any time soon.