PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Spurs v Bullets Conference Finals on ESPN2

bigbendbruisebrother
04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
ESPN2 will show the 1979 Eastern Conference finals, Spurs versus Bullets game seven at 2:30 pm today (I'm on Dish Network, so check your local listings). The game is a heartbreaker from a Spurs standpoint, but caps what many consider the greatest series turnaround in NBA history. I was a 12 year old at the time, and worshipped Ice. The Spurs weren't supposed to make it that far, but when they did, the town went nuts. This is in many ways my favorite Spurs squad, and saw the rise of the Bruise Brothers. The team then was composed of: Ice, Kenon, Silas, Paultz, Olberding, Gale, Green, Dampier, Bristow, Sanders and Mosley.

Here's ESPN's take on the game and series:
Underdog Spurs push Bullets to the limit
Eastern Conference, 1979
The Bullets became the third team in NBA history to recover from a 3-1 series deficit when Bob Dandridge hit a 15-foot jumper with eight seconds left in Game 7 for a 107-105 win. The Bullets had trailed by 10 points earlier in the fourth quarter against San Antonio, led by George Gervin. In the final possession, Elvin Hayes blocked James Silas' short jumper that, if it had fallen, would have sent the game into OT. The Bullets' three straight wins came by a combined victory margin of just 14 points.

whottt
04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Won't be able to catch the game...please lemme know who wins.

Jimcs50
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Watch the end where the phantom call is made that cost the Spurs the EC championship.

I still have nightmares about it.

:cuss

Solid D
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Bobby Dandridge was awesome in that game. Doug Moe really ripped the refs afterward, particularly on the Paultz screen foul-call and Gervin's touch foul out on the floor.

I may DVR it. Things aren't always as you think you remember it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Too painful to watch. . .again. The first time my heart was broken was from a Bullet.

wildbill2u
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
ESPN2 will show the 1979 Eastern Conference finals, Spurs versus Bullets game seven at 2:30 pm today (I'm on Dish Network, so check your local listings). The game is a heartbreaker from a Spurs standpoint, but caps what many consider the greatest series turnaround in NBA history. I was a 12 year old at the time, and worshipped Ice. The Spurs weren't supposed to make it that far, but when they did, the town went nuts. This is in many ways my favorite Spurs squad, and saw the rise of the Bruise Brothers. The team then was composed of: Ice, Kenon, Silas, Paultz, Olberding, Gale, Green, Dampier, Bristow, Sanders and Mosley.

Here's ESPN's take on the game and series:
Underdog Spurs push Bullets to the limit
Eastern Conference, 1979
The Bullets became the third team in NBA history to recover from a 3-1 series deficit when Bob Dandridge hit a 15-foot jumper with eight seconds left in Game 7 for a 107-105 win. The Bullets had trailed by 10 points earlier in the fourth quarter against San Antonio, led by George Gervin. In the final possession, Elvin Hayes blocked James Silas' short jumper that, if it had fallen, would have sent the game into OT. The Bullets' three straight wins came by a combined victory margin of just 14 points.

We wuz robbed by the officials on that game and the following. Conventional wisdom was that the league didn't want any upstart ABA team coming into the league and going to the finals. Doug Moe got a huge fine for comments on the officiating and Spur fans took up a collection to pay it--in pennies.

We had a huge crowd at the airport to greet the team when they came back despite the loss, maybe one of the largest ever. We knew in our hearts that the Spurs were the champs. :drunk

Taco
04-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Won't be able to catch the game...please lemme know who wins.
:lol

Jimcs50
04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
what is the score?
I can not find the score on ESPN.com

:)