PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Summer League Notes, Take 3

duncan228
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Summer League notes, Take 3 (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/summer-league-n.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

OK, Spurs fans, you can officially start to get excited about your summer league team. The guys are 3-0, on the way to a mythical summer league championship sure to pack the river for another title parade.

Or maybe not.

But, after the Spurs won their third straight game here in Vegas tonight, besting Oklahoma City 85-76, there are legitimate reasons to celebrate what it all might mean in the games that count later this year.

For instance ...

* DeJuan Blair. President Obama was right. The guy is a beast. In his first summer-league start, the newly signed Blair went for 20 points to go with five rebounds. Yes, the rebounding numbers are low, but let's not quibble. The guy flashed an offensive game tonight most of us didn't know he had. Even though most of his points in the NBA are going to come on putbacks, he showed tonight he can be crafty in the post-up game. His first basket of the night came on a dribble drive. The guy can play. He's the Spurs' third-best big, right now.

* George Hill. Three games in, he's making us forget about the 2-for-25 last year in Vegas. He's been one of the best guards here at summer league, and possibly the best point guard. Another 20-point night, this time complemented with eight assists. It was easily the best game he's ever played in July.

* Malik Hairston. The guy looks like a cheaper, younger, more athletic version of Ime Udoka. Which can't bode well for the actual Ime Udoka.

* Ian Mahinmi. He's played exactly three games since November, all of them here in Vegas. Two of them were good, one was not so good. He's beginning to show signs that he can be a helpful NBA big. If nothing else, he is tall and athletic enough to alter shots in the lane. The Spurs really don't have one of those guys on the roster, unless you count Tim Duncan. Mahinmi doesn't have a very diversifed offensive game, but he's adept at getting to the line and making free throws (he's hit 17-of-20). He could be a rotation player for the Spurs yet.

* Marcus Williams. Williams isn't playing in Vegas, having undergone offseason wrist surgery. But he is here, and he is under contract with the Spurs for training camp. The Spurs brass loves him, so he will have every opportunity to make the roster in the fall.

angelbelow
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
What do you guys think about Joey Dorsey? He's been tearing it up so far.

MaNu4Tres
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
What do you guys think about Joey Dorsey? He's been tearing it up so far.

Depending on his work ethic, could be the next Ben Wallace.

thekingrobert
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
good good good good and ok for Marcus Williams

Jahivah
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Roster seems to be taking shape nicely. I like this mix of crafty vets and energetic, skilled young guns. Lets Go SPurs. I'm pumped for the season.

AFBlue
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I know this comment is more about the writer than the content, but McD seems to feel much more "at home" when doing blog-type entries like this one. Because in this case, I think his analysis was spot-on.

These are exciting times for Spurs fans.

Libri
07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
* Malik Hairston. The guy looks like a cheaper, younger, more athletic version of Ime Udoka. Which can't bode well for the actual Ime Udoka.

I thought that Ime was already on the out.

bigdog
07-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree that Mcdonald seems more comfortable doing these blog instead of articles.

EricB
07-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Malik Hairston. The guy looks like a cheaper, younger, more athletic version of Ime Udoka. Which can't bode well for the actual Ime Udoka.

Yeah Ime is toast.

spursbird
07-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Malik>>>>>>>>>>Udoka

Darkwaters
07-17-2009, 04:36 AM
I thought that Ime was already on the out.

Last I heard they told Ime to stand by and take all instructions from the tower. They're supposedly in a holding pattern while they evaluate talent already on their roster and, presumably, looking at the available free agents.

The assumption was that if they struck out everywhere else they could use Ime like a security blanket and go back to him. But it seems that he'll simply be on the outside looking in at the end of the day.

At best he'll probably sign with some team late in free agency to sit deep on their bench and to fill out a roster.

DBMethos
07-17-2009, 07:04 AM
He's the Spurs' third-best big, right now.So Duncan and Dice are 1 & 2. Jeff's put Blair ahead of Bonner already? :hat

timvp
07-17-2009, 07:05 AM
So Duncan and Dice are 1 & 2. Jeff's put Blair ahead of Bonner already? :hat

:lol

MoSpur
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I am not too excited about the Spurs front office being excited about Williams. I just didn't and haven't seen anything out of him. Oh well, the Spurs FO knows more so we'll see.

Darkwaters
07-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I am not too excited about the Spurs front office being excited about Williams. I just didn't and haven't seen anything out of him. Oh well, the Spurs FO knows more so we'll see.

Agreed. I really just don't know where he fits.

dbestpro
07-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Williams has improved in three areas that make him very valuable. His offensive consistency, his defense and his ball handling. So much so that he will be the third point guard. Many think of Williams as the guy who got cut a few years ago. He is now much better than that.

Pop will use him in matchups like Barera and post him to dealth until Carlisle has to take him out of the game. At 6-7 it allows one more weapon for Pop to dicate how the game will be played.

in2deep
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
hasta la vista Bonner

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Williams could fit with Hill, playing the 1 on offense and guarding the 2 on defense while Hill takes care of the opposing 1. Yes, the Spurs want Hill to develop his point guard skills, but he wouldn't be bad as the 2 at times.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Williams, with his wingspan, handles, overall size, and rebounding could be a nice part of the swingman rotation.

SPURadic
07-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Hard to expect anything from Williams considering he played the point-forward in the D-League. Playmaking is something that I don't think easily translates from the D-League to the NBA.

Hopefully Malik is able to keep his play up for the rest of the SL, get in the rotation, play solid defense and shoot the corner 3's. That's something I'll be looking forward in the coming season! :D

zepn
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think anyone expects Williams to be anything special immediately and he doesn't have to be. We're talking third string here, which would normally not get much playing time at all, but he can play third string 1, 2, and 3. So he could get a fair amount of minutes to help him develop if you add up all three. And they wouldn't have to rotate him to the toros so he remembers what a basketball feels like either.

zepn
07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, it puts Hairston in a suit though...