PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Hill Enjoying Summer With A Swagger

duncan228
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Spurs' Hill enjoying summer with a swagger (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Hill_enjoying_summer_with_a_swagger.html)
Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS — In the most superficial of ways, the George Hill who walked into the UNLV basketball complex for this year's NBA Summer League was the same George Hill who showed up last year.

He's still 6-foot-2, still weighs 190 pounds. He's still got the same freak-show wingspan and the same impish smile.

Yet in the manner that counts most in his quest to be a No. 2 point guard the Spurs can count on, this George Hill is nothing like that George Hill.

“He's got a swagger,” said Spurs assistant coach Don Newman, who is running the summer league squad. “When a guy comes out and starts having success, they get that swagger back. That's what you're seeing from George.”

Entering his second year in the league, Hill was bent on proving he could be a capable backup to All-Star Tony Parker at the point.

Three games in, his point is taken.

Hill scored 20 points on 7-of-11 shooting and had nine assists Thursday as the Spurs defeated Oklahoma City 85-76 at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Arena, producing his third consecutive stellar outing.

It was a showcase night for several Spurs players, including newly signed rookie forward DeJuan Blair (20 points), swingman Malik Hairston (16 points) and Ian Mahinmi (13 points).

But Hill again stole the show. He's averaging 20.3 points in three games in Vegas and shooting 52.8 percent from the field. He has been one of the top guards in the summer league and, arguably, the best point guard.

In short, he is a far cry from the rookie who infamously shot 8 percent — 2 of 25 — during his first summer league foray last season.

“A year has done wonders for me,” Hill said. “I came back here with more experience, more confidence. I'm just more comfortable.”

Confidence and comfort are much easier to come by when you've been through all that Hill has in the past 12 months.

He's already played in big NBA games and on big stages. He's gone toe-to-toe with reigning Rookie of the Year Derrick Rose. He's guarded Kobe Bryant in the clutch. He's played in playoff games, albeit belatedly.

After that, Vegas doesn't faze him anymore.

On Thursday, Hill turned in the best July game of his life. Afterward, he had a one-on-one powwow with coach Gregg Popovich in the arena bleachers, which Hill characterized as a productive, positive meeting.

Hill's goal for the summer has been a straightforward one.

“I want to earn Pop's trust,” Hill said. “When the game's on the line, I want him to be able to put the ball in my hands.”

So far in the summer, Hill has passed the test with flying colors.

All three of the Spurs' victories here have come down to the fourth quarter. Two of them have come down to the final minutes.

Hill has had the ball in his hands on each occasion. He punctuated Thursday's victory, easily the most lopsided yet, with a soaring dunk down the middle of the lane.

“You come to summer league, you want your guys to get tested,” Newman said. “We wanted George to be in situations like this, where he has to make decisions in crunch time. The more often he's in those situations, the better he's going to get.”

Teams can go broke reading too much into summer league performances. Hill knows this better than anyone.

Still, he would like to think his summer league redemption counts for something.

“You always want to play well, and get your confidence up,” Hill said. “Hopefully, I can carry some of this with me when I leave.”

If he does, the Spurs will have found their backup point guard.

timvp
07-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Good article. It'd be interesting to hear what Pop had to say to Hill after the game.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
All aboard the McDonald train...whooooooooooo whooooooooooo :lol

montgod
07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Good article. It'd be interesting to hear what Pop had to say to Hill after the game.

I bet it had a little to do with those 6 turnovers :)

angelbelow
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
You can easily tell that he indeed does have a swagger.

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
George "Havoc" Hill

This upcoming year, he earns that nickname.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
George "Havoc" Hill

This upcoming year, he earns that nickname.

To bad as of now our Jack Bauer nickname is out the f'ng window.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Stupid McDonald. Everybody knows its George Bell.
Journalism at its finest.

bigdog
07-17-2009, 12:20 AM
I was trying to find somewhere that McDonald messed up, but good article. I'd also like to hear what Pop talked to Hill about after the game. If he keeps playing anywhere near this level for the rest of the SL, the backup PG spot is locked up. George is playing damn well.

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 12:26 AM
To bad as of now our Jack Bauer nickname is out the f'ng window.

:lmao

Have some faith, bro..

It never looks good for Bauer.:smokin

jag
07-17-2009, 12:26 AM
McDonald should have just compared and contrasted George Hill and George Bell.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:27 AM
:lmao

Have some faith, bro..

It never looks good for Bauer.:smokin

Hot damn, I never even thought about that :toast

This is shaping up to be a helluva season...no pun.

Thompson
07-17-2009, 12:44 AM
What about Ian's nickname? All I could think of was "The Joker" because he's grinning ear-to-ear every time they show a close up. Otherwise not terribly appropriate, but better than the previous "Mr. Glass."

And they did mike Pop for his comments to George. He said " ...(faint/muffled) ...Saturday (muffled) ...Bavarian cream-filled.. (muffled) ...get my drink on... my honeys... (muffled) ...ee you in October."

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Hill just took a look in the mirror and said whats up.

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 12:53 AM

No you didn't...

DPG Tell 'em?:lol

phyzik
07-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Hill has been impressive this summer league. That said, he was impressive last year when Tony went out and again being a consistant contributor against Dallas in the playoffs when he actually got a chance to play. If he can continue that progression and not hit the "Beno" wall, he will be a GREAT backup point for the Spurs.

timvp
07-17-2009, 12:56 AM

That was so bad it was :lol-able

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I just say the things everyone else thinks. You love it.

DJB
07-17-2009, 01:01 AM
:toast

timvp
07-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I just say the things everyone else thinks. You love it.

I know a lot of y'all thought I wasn't coming back, yeah, yeah
I had to prove 'em wrong
Got back in the summer league came up wit another hit, yeah, yeah

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 01:02 AM
No you didn't...

DPG Tell 'em?:lol

Man....

I might just have a name for my new weekly thread on ST.

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 01:04 AM
I had to prove 'em wrong

:lol

Damn, that dude is a lyrical genius.

I mean, the depth..:downspin:

ss1986v2
07-17-2009, 01:05 AM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7569/clapi.gif

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 01:06 AM
I had to prove 'em wrong

I hit'a jumpa why they hatin on me
I hit'a jumpa why they hatin on me

I told the world my story, IUPUI is where I'm from
took a look in the mirror said whats up. Yeah.

Blackjack
07-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Man....

I might just have a name for my new weekly thread on ST.

I expect royalties.:hat

And something to the effect of:

DPG Tell 'em
presented by Blackjack:greedy

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2009, 01:13 AM
how would you compare his jumper to the likes of players parker, ginoboli, mason, finley...efficiency wise and stroke/release??

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 01:17 AM
I expect royalties.:hat

And something to the effect of:

DPG Tell 'em
presented by Blackjack:greedy

After reading DPG Tell 'em presented by Blackjack, be sure to check out the new season of:

Ko89hiGLUS8

DBMethos
07-17-2009, 07:19 AM
He's played in playoff games, albeit belatedly.Is that a dig at Pop? :wow

raspsa
07-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Hopefully he brings that swagger into the regular and post-season.. slow and steady improvement is fine and he will help take some of the load off Parker. I'm betting that he will win Pop's confidence if he continues to improve at this rate.

Ghazi
07-17-2009, 07:33 AM
bubois > hill

urunobili
07-17-2009, 07:50 AM
bubois > hill

Barea > Hill already :wakeup

Beaubois > Parker :stirpot:

mikeyc
07-17-2009, 08:08 AM
“When the game's on the line, I want him to be able to put the ball in my hands.”

? hold on there, partner.

Interrohater
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
“When the game's on the line, I want him to be able to put the ball in my hands.”

yea, for real... it's going to be Bell with the ball in his hands... what a clown

L.I.T
07-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Good article by Mcdonald.

It's as if as the ownership group has stepped up, he's been under pressure to produce as well. Guy's coming through. I've almost been tempted to log on to the Express News website...almost.

Yes, because having multiple end of game options is a bad thing.