PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog's Salary Slot

SenorSpur
04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
By signing Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson, does that mean the Spurs also assume his existing contract, which expires at the end of this season?

whottt
04-06-2005, 09:39 AM
No, the Hornets have his existing contract.

He signed with us for the min, pro-rated.

wildbill2u
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Let's suppose he has something left in the tank and does well in the playoffs. What do you think are the chances the Spurs will bring him back next year with a new and more realistic contract?

kskonn
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Let's suppose he has something left in the tank and does well in the playoffs. What do you think are the chances the Spurs will bring him back next year with a new and more realistic contract?

they won't sacrifice signing Devin and Scola to bring him back. He is temporary. besides if he gets a ring this year he will prbobably hang up the sneakers and go out on top. Atleast that would be the smart thing to do, it would be the Robinson thing to do.

xcoriate
04-06-2005, 07:11 PM
He is only 32 he still has some solid years of the bench as a vet if he wants them. Whether here or somewhere else I guess we will see.

Brodels
04-06-2005, 07:47 PM
they won't sacrifice signing Devin and Scola to bring him back. He is temporary. besides if he gets a ring this year he will prbobably hang up the sneakers and go out on top. Atleast that would be the smart thing to do, it would be the Robinson thing to do.

That's the thing. The Spurs won't bring him back unless they decide they don't want Scola and Brown or Glenn agrees to play for the minimum.

It wouldn't surprise me if Devin gets some decent offers in the offseason, and I think the Spurs will wisely pull out of the running if he commands very much money. So even after bringing Scola over, it's possible that the Spurs could have another #2-3 million to play with if they decide to let Devin walk.

dougp
04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
That's the thing. The Spurs won't bring him back unless they decide they don't want Scola and Brown or Glenn agrees to play for the minimum.

It wouldn't surprise me if Devin gets some decent offers in the offseason, and I think the Spurs will wisely pull out of the running if he commands very much money. So even after bringing Scola over, it's possible that the Spurs could have another #2-3 million to play with if they decide to let Devin walk.
How many vet's have we had take the minimum to play with us? :drunk

whottt
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
If he shows he can still shoot and helps the Spurs win a title he will be way out of our price range...

I think this is very much a 1 year deal...and it's probably for the best...

I think he will be happy in a bench role and minutes for this season...but I don't see him wanting that longterm...I also see him wanting a big contract...he's playing for a contract right now...and that's good thing for the Spurs...because the questions about him have nothing to do with his shooting and everything to do with his attitude...

Hopefully we'll win a ring, Robinson will turn his career around, mutual thanks and goobyes will be exchanged and Robinson will go down in Spurs lore as one those fondly remembered shorterm Spurs like Willis and Jax.....

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2005, 10:12 PM
If he shows he can still shoot and helps the Spurs win a title he will be way out of our price range...

he's playing for a contract right now...

exactly

Thats why he's going to hit big shots unlike any other in the playoffs for us.

ducks
04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
if he shows he can shoot
spurs should try to dump barry for draft picks and resign bigdog

do they have bidrights for big dog?

smeagol
04-06-2005, 10:25 PM
if he shows he can shoot
spurs should try to dump barry for draft picks and resign bigdog

do they have bidrights for big dog?
Yeah Ducks. Good move!

Good thing you are know where near the decision makers of the Spurs FO.

ducks
04-06-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah how dare a player contribute from day one
big dog has
barry has not
spurs can not and will not keep both long term

whottt
04-06-2005, 10:36 PM
yeah how dare a player contribute from day one
big dog has
barry has not
spurs can not and will not keep both long term

Barry's first game as a Spur:

6-9 FG
16 points
667%
3-6 3P FG
500%
3 assists
2 rebounds
1 steal
2 blocks

You were saying, hating duck?

ducks
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
he had begginners luck and then sucked donkeys tell 15 games left and his name is not even horry

whottt
04-06-2005, 10:48 PM
He shot 500% from 3 for the entire month of January

And how do you know this wasn't beginners luck for GRobinson?

ducks
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
good
his job is to hit outside shots
his assist are gravy
he shot well before he had a guy like duncan to give him open looks
he should have lead the league in three point % this year

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Only if you say you're my bitch GIG.

Anyhow, I can't see many long term scenarios where Robinson will pass up his last possible big payday in favor of staying with the Spurs. However, anything can happen. If he works out, and is willing to stay on for a limited amount of money, I have no problem keeping him aboard.

However, next season is still a long way off and many things can happen before then. We'll see.