PDA

View Full Version : did the European game hurt The Gist????

hater
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
what the fuck? Gist last year was beasting in the Summer League. Now is a shell of himself.

I blame the European game. he has regressed.

Too much spaghisti done fucked up my boy!!!!

:bang:bang:bang:bang

JiggaWhat99
07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
damn, i dont think he will make the team

SenorSpur
07-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Gist's underwhelming start is surprising. While there is still time for him to redeem himself, if he doesn't pick it up soon, he may have earned himself another 1-yr stint in Europe.

naico
07-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I think it was wrong to try and turn him into a 3. Speculating about him not being tall or physical enough to be a 4 in the nba or having to be a 3 because of the Spurs roster..Last year he had a good Summer League as a 4 mainly. He and the Spurs should have built on that and although it may have been hard to be succesfull at the 4 in the future it was worth the shot (more than it is developping him into a 3).

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Maybe last year's SL was just a fluke and the Gist just isn't that good.

spursfan1000
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Maybe summer leagues mean nothing...

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
There's no maybe about it. Summer league means nothing.

anakha
07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
After seeing how Marcus Williams's entire game was transformed in his D-League stints, I'm wondering if giving Gist time on the Toros isn't the best choice possible for all concerned parties.

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
After seeing how Marcus Williams's entire game was transformed in his D-League stints, I'm wondering if giving Gist time on the Toros isn't the best choice possible for all concerned parties.

Does Gist want to go to the Toros without an NBA contract though? IIRC D-league contracts only pay like $30-$40 grand. I'm not sure what Gist got overseas last year but I would think it would be more than that.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Gist was playing in a mid level Italian club. Stupid Spurs fans don't know shit about European game. A star player on a mid level Italian team is about 3 levels from making a big Euroleague club roster.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Does Gist want to go to the Toros without an NBA contract though? IIRC D-league contracts only pay like $30-$40 grand. I'm not sure what Gist got overseas last year but I would think it would be more than that.

D-League is 24-30 thousand a year.

MB20
07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
He played PF in Italy, and he is "trying" to play SF in summer league.

urunobili
07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Maybe this year is a fluke... i have read some of the experts around on this board that if the Spurs want him to be a 3, he would need to go to Austin to get that done and if they want him as a 4.. probably another year in Europe on a more competitive league should help...

Bruno
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Gist plays PF with the SL. It's not a position problem.

Gist was good in last year SL mainly because he played with a lot of energy. this year he hasn't played with that energy. The question is why ?

I don't think it's because of an injury so it should be a mental thing. My guess is that it's a motivation problem. He had great hopes for this season after a good SL last year and a good year in Italy. He was very confident about his future (he said "I’m going to play for the Spurs this year." during the draft). In one week, Spurs have drafted Blair and sign Haislip. Gist is now quite out of the picture and it's not a reach to think that he isn't motivated knowing that he hasn't a fair chance to make the team.

Spursmania
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Gist was playing in a mid level Italian club. Stupid Spurs fans don't know shit about European game. A star player on a mid level Italian team is about 3 levels from making a big Euroleague club roster.

Stupid Greek fans don't know shit about American game. Ugly Greeks.:sleep

Come on, get with it KBP and you wonder why posters kick your ass when you post.:lol

loveforthegame
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Is it possible they've already told him they'd like for him to play another year in Europe? Or go on the Hairston/Williams plan with the Toros?

Dex
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM

http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

buttsR4rebounding
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I just don't see the Spurs w/ a need for Gist as an undersized 4. He would definitely by the 7th big and the Spurs just aren't going to carry him as the 7th big. It is unlikely that they will carry 7, but if they do it will be a guy like Oberto or someone who can block shots. Gist's only chance is at the 3. There is an opening for a 3rd SF. It may be that the Spurs took a flyer on him on the chance that he could work out as a SF and we are seeing that he will never be an NBA caliber 3. I bet Gist ends up back in Europe this year and maybe for his whole career. Right now it looks to me that Hariston is earning that opportunity.

samikeyp
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Kill_Bill_Pinked.

Awesome.

lol Comcast

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I just don't see the Spurs w/ a need for Gist as an undersized 4. He would definitely by the 7th big and the Spurs just aren't going to carry him as the 7th big. It is unlikely that they will carry 7, but if they do it will be a guy like Oberto or someone who can block shots. Gist's only chance is at the 3. There is an opening for a 3rd SF. It may be that the Spurs took a flyer on him on the chance that he could work out as a SF and we are seeing that he will never be an NBA caliber 3. I bet Gist ends up back in Europe this year and maybe for his whole career. Right now it looks to me that Hariston is earning that opportunity.

+1

I feel for Gist, but it's just the reality of the situation. It sucks being a 3-4 tweener when you're on a team that has a bunch of guys who can play the 4 better than you can and a bunch of guys who can play the 3 better than you can.

Manufan909
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Aren't RJ, Hairston, and Fin all SFs? Unless Fin gets traded, Gist will end up playing behind Pop's boy toy. With what Hairston has shown on the Toros/Spurs/SL this year, he deserves 15-20 minutes behind RJ, Manu, and Mason.

EricB
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
the pinking to me doesn't do anything.

He can still post his usual tripe.

biziofromdowntown
07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a motivation problem...Whn he played regular season he did a good job, but when pressupre pumped on he blow up too much times...i saw him durin' italian PO and on 9 matches he did only 2 or 3 decent...maybe same ting is happening now...last year he did a great SL cause he was without expetation on his shoulder, this year his going down...and another point: in Italy he was use to play against smaller PF or C, and physical plays aren't admitted, so now Gist is set up with a sort of "slow motion"...

rayray2k8
07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
D-League is 24-30 thousand a year.

Pink suits you well, fake ass greek.

So lets not bring out the Gist? :lol

raspsa
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
He played PF in Italy, and he is "trying" to play SF in summer league.

Yeah, that's a recipe for disaster.

angelbelow
07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Another horrible take.

Gist is still an athletic freak. But its obvious hes lost cause hes not sure how to play the 4. Europe definitely hones his fundamentals but his confidence seems shot.

kace
07-18-2009, 03:30 AM
bad timing for this thread now that both Pop and Brown just stated how the european game was better played.

Brown also aded in his french interview that the european game was good for NBA players and that Ajinca and Noah were better and doing things they weren't doing in the NBA.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2009/20090717_215840_sous-l-oeil-de-larry-brown.html

Brazil
07-18-2009, 08:53 AM
bad timing for this thread now that both Pop and Brown just stated how the european game was better played.

Brown also aded in his french interview that the european game was good for NBA players and that Ajinca and Noah were better and doing things they weren't doing in the NBA.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2009/20090717_215840_sous-l-oeil-de-larry-brown.html

Kace I read the interview I'm quite confused when he said:

«Mon équipe est sur le point d'être vendue, j'ai une vie de famille et la saison est longue.»

My team is on the edge to be sold ? I didn't follow that

kace
07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Kace I read the interview I'm quite confused when he said:

«Mon équipe est sur le point d'être vendue, j'ai une vie de famille et la saison est longue.»

My team is on the edge to be sold ? I didn't follow that

The Bobcats owner has lost a lot with the financial crisis and was looking for selling the franchise. There were some rumors about it some weeks ago and some about Jordan being interested.