PDA

View Full Version : what are doing with matt bonner?

AceProfits
07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
has anybody heard anything about bonner? what exactly are the plans for him? we do not have any room in the rotation for this guy. With Ian coming up this year, blair and dice. Whats up? Is he getting traded or what?

Dr. Gonzo
07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
My inside source said he will be on the team.

Muser
07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Contrary to all the hate he gets his shooting is a great thing to have coming off the bench.

BillMc
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
If some trade comes along, they'll move him. But I think he'll be a nice bench player this year.

But it's all guess work, we're just guys posting on a message board! :)

anjlbitz
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Bonner gets a lot of flak but in very limited minutes he is valuable as a big who can stretch the defense.

jag
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
He's a quality big when he isn't asked to do too much. Last year he was asked to do way too much.

dbestpro
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
has anybody heard anything about bonner? what exactly are the plans for him? we do not have any room in the rotation for this guy. With Ian coming up this year, blair and dice. Whats up? Is he getting traded or what?

My inside source says he is being fitted for a coyote costume.

Cheddz
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Wasting money?

DBMethos
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
He's a quality big when he isn't asked to do too much. Last year he was asked to do way too much.

This.

Cheddz
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
My inside source says he is being fitted for a coyote costume.

Hilarity.

buttsR4rebounding
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Also, we have so many new faces already--RJ, Blair, McDyess, Haislip, Ian (in a sense) plus maybe Williams or Hairston. You can't be trading Bonner and Finley like so many are pushing for without risking the loss of too much "institutional knowedge" as Pop puts it. As starters they both were below average. As back ups they can both be very good. Finley as the primary back up to RJ and Bonner as maybe the 5th big used in the righ situations can be very effective.

ohmwrecker
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Bonner will be coming in with limited minutes and depending on match-ups, hitting some threes and getting a couple of boards. He needs to develop his inner thug. I'd love to see him knock some people on their ass this year.

slick'81
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
yeah as long as hes not starting and is placed in a reserve role he should be good.

With dice and hopefully blair in the mix hell be better suited as a situational or matchup type player

Spursmania
07-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Hopefully he's at Tony Robbins', "be confident, you can do it" seminars.:cheer

ohmwrecker
07-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Hopefully he's at Tony Robbins', "be confident, you can do it" seminars.:cheer

Maybe Danny Ferry has some kind of "Tough, White Boy" self-help program.

Darkwaters
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Hopefully they leave him outside on trash day.

You just don't start Matt Bonner but, hes incredibly capable in the right role. I'm all for keeping him around. Hes proven in the past that he can ride the bench for months and then be ready at a moments notice to contribute. And his shooting was sensational last season.

You just don't start Matt Bonner. Hes not that kind of player. Hes the kind of guy you sign to round out a roster and you toss into a salary dump trade to make the salaries match (like all those Finley+Bonner for _____ trades or even Eric Williams+Matt Bonner for Rasho Nesterovic).

You just don't start Matt Bonner.

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
A couple of boards? It takes him 20 minutes of game play to get 3 boards. He has no inner thug, he's a red haired white guy that likes Canada. I can't believe this love for Bonner. I bet it's the same people that liked Rasho's 2 1/2'' vertical and missed putbacks.

Let me guess, you're someone who would rather have Pops Mensa-Bonsu or some other d-league scrub who can dunk.

slick'81
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
i dont think having finley/bonner, especially with their experience starting last season coming off the pine a problem

ohmwrecker
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey, Init2nitwit. It was a suggestion for him to toughen up. I support Bonner as long as he is a member of this team and I want him to do well.
That being said I could have filled a mayo jar full of quarters with the number of times I cursed Bonner's existence last year.

Spursfan092120
07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Contrary to all the hate he gets his shooting is a great thing to have coming off the bench.
exactly..he'd be great to spread out the offense.

off the bench

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I think in his one game(Raptors) he had more boards than Bonners entire season. :lol

Right. He had one game and Bonner actually got to play for a whole season.

jb4g
07-17-2009, 12:42 PM
despite all the hate there are much worse options than bonner and finley to have coming off the bench. Despite their defensive liabilities they can still knock down some shots. I think the team waits to see how some of the young guys pan out early in the season and then maybe they get shipped out near the trade deadline.

It also wouldnt shock me if Fab comes back for the vet mimimum.

mudyez
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
yeah, Bonner should have a spot in the rotation...not sure if Pop even thinks he is behind Blair at this point...for sure he is ahead of Ian (but Ian sould be more of a Duncan replacement, than a complement)

Bonner ust gives you that spacing PF, which teams need today, especially if they have a good inside presence or a quick guard to drive and kick (don't have to tell you, that we own both).

ask yourself a question: with Timmy beeing gefen the ball or Tony driving, who would you rather have: Blair cloaking the lane or Bonner at the 3Pt line?

dont get me wrong: Blair is great and everything. he will give us plenty to cheer for and should be a nice fit too. I just think that Bonners skillset is absolutely undervalued, even though I have to admit, that he would be a better player if playing less than last year.

Here is how I think the frontcourtrotation will look like:

C: Timmy 30 / Dyess 26 / Bonner 16 / Blair 14 / Ian 6 / Haislip 4

(a lot will depend on matchups...sometimes Bonner will see a lot of time, sometimes it will be Blair)...not 100% sure Ian and Haislip will make the roster full time at this point

as much as everyone likes to joke about Bonner...He had a nice year in 08/09...Its just, that you rather bring someone like him from the bench...at least if you are a contender

jag
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
He always plays 100%, he absolutely hustles his ass off and shoots 50% from downtown. In limited minutes, he's capable of pulling down 3 or 4 boards and dropping 7 or 8 points off the bench. He's also capable of stretching the floor and allowing TP or Hill more room to drive, and allowing the C more room to operate 1 on 1.

There are a lot of positives to Bonner if he's used for the right role.

Sigz
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Victory cigar

jag
07-17-2009, 12:45 PM
yeah, Bonner should have a spot in the rotation...not sure if Pop even thinks he is behind Blair at this point...for sure he is ahead of Ian (but Ian sould be more of a Duncan replacement, than a complement)

Bonner ust gives you that spacing PF, which teams need today, especially if they have a good inside presence or a quick guard to drive and kick (don't have to tell you, that we own both).

ask yourself a question: with Timmy beeing gefen the ball or Tony driving, who would you rather have: Blair cloaking the lane or Bonner at the 3Pt line?

dont get me wrong: Blair is great and everything. he will give us plenty to cheer for and should be a nice fit too. I just think that Bonners skillset is absolutely undervalued, even though I have to admit, that he would be a better player if playing less than last year.

(a lot will depend on matchups...sometimes Bonner will see a lot of time, sometimes it will be Blair)...not 100% sure Ian and Haislip will make the roster full time at this point

as much as everyone likes to joke about Bonner...He had a nice year in 08/09...Its just, that you rather bring someone like him from the bench...at least if you are a contender ditto

mudyez
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I just don't see how Bonner could get minutes behind McDyess and Blair(if he pans out). If he's 3rd string back up, yeah keep him but we all know Pop's going to start is sorry ass.

no he wont...not over Dyess

btw.: do you remember how Bonner did great in terms of rebounding for the first few games he started? Pop called him a "natural rebounder"..."something you cant teach"...that was when Bonner obvisiously thought: "hey, the rebounds will find me, and I dont have to get them!"

Spurs_210
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Bonner gets a lot of flak but in very limited minutes he is valuable as a big who can stretch the defense.
+1

Only way I say to trade him is if the deal is a real good one. Off the bench he could provide some value. Bonner is a good role player and not a starter.

slick'81
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah bonner and natural rebounder dont mix HA

ohmwrecker
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
no he wont...not over Dyess

btw.: do you remember how Bonner did great in terms of rebounding for the first few games he started? Pop called him a "natural rebounder"..."something you cant teach"...that was when Bonner obvisiously thought: "hey, the rebounds will find me, and I dont have to get them!"

Pop was obviously hitting the vino pretty hard when he said that.

mudyez
07-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Bonner averaged 20mpg last season and you want it reduced to 16? It needs to be reduced to 5... seriously.

I think Timmys and Dyess' minutes should be cut a little...leaving basically Blair to take theirs and Kurts+Fabs minutes.

And as I said: he gives us something the others cant: OK, Dyess has a nice midrangegame, but if you want real spacing, you have to go with the "Bo"! He is great at what he is doing...Give him about 1 1/2 quarters to do just that and he will be a nice asset!

pull the shotblocking PF's out of the lane!
give Tony some more room to operate!

of Tony is hot, we dont need the offensive rebounds, coz there wont be any...give him the space!

I like how the rotation complements each other:

Duncan: the star
Dyess: kind of the Robin to Duncans batman: doing something of everything: some spacing, some rebounding, some defense
Blair: the worker...if things dont go well, he is the guy who will simply overpower the other team and do it the ugly way
Bonner: the oposite of Blair..he gives you the shhoting power and room for teammates
Haislip: kind of the speedy guy (maybe playing even some SF)...good for run and gun style, which we should play more with Tony and Jefferson at the helm
Ian: the simply atheltic dude, which is jumping around, giving energy, blocking a shot nobody expected to be blocked

=perfect...I wouldnt trade anyone of them for a player on a similar level but with a different skill set

mudyez
07-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Pop was obviously hitting the vino pretty hard when he said that.

at that point it seemed to be true (I remember him having some nice rebounding games in limited minutes)...just as I said: it went downhill after he said that!

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Let's keep in mind that the Spurs aren't going to totally abandon small ball next year. A Parker-Mason-Manu-RJ-Duncan lineup can cause some serious havoc on teams. So I don't think there's actually 96 minutes per game to spread around those 6 guys. Jefferson will be getting some of them.

I also don't see Pop committing to regular playing time 6 deep at the bigs. It's probably going to be Duncan & McDyess starting, with Blair & Bonner as the 1st guys off the bench and Ian & Haslip having to beat out someone if they want anything more than garbage minutes.

mudyez
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
btw.: I think some of our wings look more redundant...I could imagine a Finley or Mason trade, which are basically giving us the same skillset (if you dont count on Mason playing PG)...a defensive stopper or kind of a hard nosed rough neck would be great...if we could just swap Finley for Bowen (heck I would do a Mason for Bowen swap)

mudyez
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Let's keep in mind that the Spurs aren't going to totally abandon small ball next year. A Parker-Mason-Manu-RJ-Duncan lineup can cause some serious havoc on teams. So I don't think there's actually 96 minutes per game to spread around those 6 guys. Jefferson will be getting some of them.

I also don't see Pop committing to regular playing time 6 deep at the bigs. It's probably going to be Duncan & McDyess starting, with Blair & Bonner as the 1st guys off the bench and Ian & Haslip having to beat out someone if they want anything more than garbage minutes.

agree, but i think those minutes will come from Ian and Hasislip, which I'm not totaly sold as regulars...you also have to figure in, that there will be injuries and so on (hopefully nothing serious), which will give you actually more minutes as game averages

buttsR4rebounding
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I see him being the 5th big behind Duncan, Dice, Blair, Ian. It seems that Haislip has much of the same positives with more atheticism so I could see Bonner being the 6th big by the end of the season. This would be ideal IMHO.

ohmwrecker
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
In all fairness, Blair and Mahinmi will have to earn their spots ahead of Bonner. However, that should not be too difficult.

Ginnoobbllee
07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I think you need more frontline depth this year.

You want to save Timmy's knees by limiting his minutes, and with Dice's age, you want to limit his minutes, too. I would not be surprised if on Back - 2 - Back's, they pretty much sit Timmy. Then, you have to fill up 80 - 85 minutes of play time for the 4 & 5 between Dice, Ian, Blair, and Bonner.

Bonner you need to fill-in minutes when you rest Timmy and Dice.
:flag:

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.englishrussia.com/forum/files/blank_facepalm_224.gif

scottspurs
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
If we trade him, thats Great. If we use him as a shooter, thats Great. I'm not going to be mad if he is or isn't on the team.

spurs_till_I_di
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Also, we have so many new faces already--RJ, Blair, McDyess, Haislip, Ian (in a sense) plus maybe Williams or Hairston. You can't be trading Bonner and Finley like so many are pushing for without risking the loss of too much "institutional knowedge" as Pop puts it. As starters they both were below average. As back ups they can both be very good. Finley as the primary back up to RJ and Bonner as maybe the 5th big used in the righ situations can be very effective.

I agree with this completely because you don't know exactly what you're going to get out of Haislip or Hairston. Haislip looks like he can hit three's and Hairston has always shown he could play in summer league and D-League but it's time to prove it in the clutch on the pro level that why Finley and Bonner should stay, I even heard Haislip had some kinda record for 3's made in summer league after he was drafted but I doubt it, the proof is in the performance.:flag:

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
If we trade him, thats Great. If we use him as a shooter, thats Great. I'm not going to be mad if he is or isn't on the team.

finley + bonner + mason = nearly 10m in contracts....

all 3 dont offer anything on the table, they have alot of weaknesses and pop ask them to take on duties they never had b4 and when they did like last season, fail.

superbigtime
07-17-2009, 02:41 PM
You just don't start Matt Bonner but, hes incredibly capable in the right role. I'm all for keeping him around. Hes proven in the past that he can ride the bench for months and then be ready at a moments notice to contribute. And his shooting was sensational last season.

You just don't start Matt Bonner. Hes not that kind of player. Hes the kind of guy you sign to round out a roster and you toss into a salary dump trade to make the salaries match (like all those Finley+Bonner for _____ trades or even Eric Williams+Matt Bonner for Rasho Nesterovic).

You just don't start Matt Bonner.

Unless you're the belligerent stubborn head coach.

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
finley + bonner + mason = nearly 10m in contracts....

all 3 dont offer anything on the table, they have alot of weaknesses and pop ask them to take on duties they never had b4 and when they did like last season, fail.

So what do you propose we do? Thin out the bench by trading the three of them for one high salary guy who hasn't proven that he can succeed in Pop's system? Then fill out the rest of the bench with a bunch of guys who haven't even proven that they're NBA players? What player with proven playoff credentials do you want to go get with those 3 guys?

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
So what do you propose we do? Thin out the bench by trading the three of them for one high salary guy who hasn't proven that he can succeed in Pop's system? Then fill out the rest of the bench with a bunch of guys who haven't even proven that they're NBA players? What player with proven playoff credentials do you want to go get with those 3 guys?

3 of those guys you can at least trade for 1 guy who can do all those things they bring....

stephen jackson can do all of that...can play/defend multiple positions...even DIAW is a nice compliment player....

4RINGS
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Pop likes the RED ROCKET, he will be our starting center, with Dice and Manu coming off the bench to add some spark from the bench.

EricB
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
A couple of boards? It takes him 20 minutes of game play to get 3 boards. He has no inner thug, he's a red haired white guy that likes Canada. I can't believe this love for Bonner. I bet it's the same people that liked Rasho's 2 1/2'' vertical and missed putbacks.

No inner thug?

Kill yourself.

4RINGS
07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.englishrussia.com/forum/files/blank_facepalm_224.gif

http://www.nba.com/media/act_matt_bonner.jpg
MATT BONNER, STARTING CENTER, SPURS

EricB
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Unless you're the belligerent stubborn head coach.

Who the fuck should he have started?

Kurt Thomas?

Oberto?

and........?!?

coyotes_geek
07-17-2009, 03:02 PM
3 of those guys you can at least trade for 1 guy who can do all those things they bring....

stephen jackson can do all of that...can play/defend multiple positions...even DIAW is a nice compliment player....

So you want a bench of Stephen Jackson, George Hill, and seven guys who collectively have less than 50 games of NBA experience between them? No thanks.

Sisk
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
No inner thug?

Kill yourself.

What he said

Kori Ellis
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
People need to stop blaming Matt Bonner for the situation he was in. He isn't a starting center. He was in the role because the Spurs basically had no other choice. If Oberto was healthy, that likely would have been his job. Now with McDyess on board, Bonner can go back to the bench, come in the game to spread the floor and bring some enthusiasm.

If Mahnimi/Blair are awesome, then they'll probably look to move Bonner at the trade deadline.. but it doesn't hurt to have a big man that can shoot on your bench. If someone wanted Bonner in a trade package right now, they'd trade him but that goes for everyone on the team (outside the obvious).

objective
07-17-2009, 03:23 PM
wait wait wait wait wait . . .

We are talking about Matt Bonner right?

Because if I remember right, summer 2007, maybe half the posters were raving about re-signing Bonner instead of signing Scola. Because Scola 'wouldn't fit' and that there would be no room for him next to Duncan.

AND

Bonner was the NEXT HORRY !

McDyess, Blair, and the other scrubs like Haislip and Mahinmi better sit their asses down.

It's Bonner time!

rayray2k8
07-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't know "what are doing" with Booner...

HarlemHeat37
07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
the thing people seem to forget about Bonner..dude was shooting an unreal 50% from 3-point range all the way until March..that's a ridiculous number..he shrunk under pressure, but like others have said, he could be a bench player this season..

I wouldn't mind seeing him get 10-15 MPG at all off the bench..

I hope Ian and Blair outplay him and earn a spot in the rotation, because it would be better for our interior, but Bonner can be a valuable player with his great 3-point shooting..he's also a guy that teams could be calling about at the deadline..

Drom John
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
IMO, Bonner will be the starting center. Bonner does not see the bulk of the 4th Q in a close game. Yet, Bonner does make the last possession of a game if trailing by 2 or 3.
McDyess gets the Thomas minutes off the bench (plus some of Bonner's.)
Blair gets the Oberto minutes off the bench (plus some of Bonner's.)

A second unit of McDyess, Blair, Ginobli, Mason and Hill could cause nightmares for the opposition. Those nightmares are scarier Bonner's time with the starting unit are for us.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2009, 03:48 PM
IMO, Bonner will be the starting center. Bonner does not see the bulk of the 4th Q in a close game. Yet, Bonner does make the last possession of a game if trailing by 2 or 3.

A second unit of McDyess, Blair, Ginobli, Mason and Hill could cause nightmares for the opposition. Those nightmares are scarier Bonner's time with the starting unit are for us.

I think McDyess is starting. You don't throw a 10/10 guy to the bench.

Also, you want to start Finley?

jb4g
07-17-2009, 03:59 PM

no way, second units gotta be bonner,blair, ginobili, finley, and hill....mason has to start, hes gonna get tons of open looks with the first team now that RJ is in the mix

even if Ian doesnt take matts spot, that second team is still very strong IMO.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Bonner did fine as a starter during the regular season imo. I would not be heartbroken if he started again. Bonner is efficient with his scoring and his defense (especially the perimeter) is not that bad.

If you put Bonner in the starting line up with Duncan/TP/Mason/RJ that would make him more effective imo. No one would be able to double Tim and there would be slashers on the court as well in TP/RJ.

Then you get to save McDyess and manage his minutes, plus add more potency to your bench with Hill/Blair/Manu/McDyess.

I would not mind that at all and I think you would maximize what you get out of Bonner.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
The problem with Bonner is that he needs a significant amount of regular minutes (over 20 a night) to be most effective offensively, while he's not that great of a defensive player. Playing him 15 to 20 minutes a night will ensure that your defense is not up to standard Spurs' defensive levels (circa 1999-2007). If you want an outside shooting threat in a bigman, it's best to go with someone like a Haislip who can potentially give you a different dimension if his shots aren't falling.

It's no coincidence that the Spurs' defense sucked hard last season and Bonner was getting heavy (for him) minutes.

anakha
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
It's no coincidence that the Spurs' defense sucked hard last season and Bonner was getting heavy (for him) minutes.

How much of the degraded Spurs offense can be attributed to Bonner and how much to the heavy minutes played by Mason and Finley?

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with that in theory, but Haislip is still a question mark. At least early on, we know Bonner can hit at a high clip. I do not want him to start, I just think it would not be the worst thing, especially early on if it happens.

vander
07-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Bonner played almost 2000 minutes last year on a very good Spurs team, and other than the few extra minutes he got when TD missed games, there's no reason to think his role will be significantly reduced this year.

There are 2400 other minutes from KT, Fabs, and Gooden that can be given to Dyess and a little to Ian, and there was close to 1000 minutes of small-ball last year. IMO Blair on the court can easily be considered "small-ball", and he could take a lot of minutes from that instead of from other big men.

I don't see Bonner playing less than 1400 minutes next year

TD . - 31
McD - 23
Bon - 18
Blair - 14
Ian - 6
Small Ball - 4

see? plenty of minutes to go around, who's getting shafted in that scenario? no one!

SCdac
07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
At least Bonner's $3.2 million or whatever it is comes off the books this season. If we have to give him run in the regular season to raise his value a bit, I'm fine with that, but he shouldn't be relied upon in a big way come the playoffs. He has proven to be able to stretch the defense as efficiently as any PF in the game during the reg. season, but was like 0-9 3FG in the last three games he played. Doesn't lack toughness and effort by any means, and we'll need him in a long regular season where injuries can occur. His ceiling is too low though, and I agree with Marcus Bryant in that our defense isn't up to par with him getting heavy minutes. Bonner shouldn't, and won't have to, be a starter this season... Haislip signing for the VET MIN can't look good for Bonner either, especially when he's talking up his outside shot... And here's to hoping DeJuan Blair and our 2005 first round pick can average at least 25 MPG combined going into march.

Mr. Body
07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
IMO, Bonner will be the starting center.

NO!!

You might have missed when we signed McDyess. He's the PF, Duncan is the C. Whatever, however you want to call them.

I don't mind Bonner anymore, now that we have real talent, starting quality talent. IMO, reflecting what others have said here, you keep him and Finley around to make sure the young players are covered. Trade at the trade deadline if anything. There may be some bargains.

anakha
07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
You hipster doofus, I was responding to a guy that said he needs to bring out his 'inner thug'. Wasn't my word.

You'll have to forgive T Park's occasional head-in-assness.

raspsa
07-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Bonner is the only Big with proven 3-point range. Haislip still has to prove that he can hit from long-range. Bonner can still serve a purpose in certain situations.

JustinJDW
07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't care about Bonner. I care about McDyess and Blair. I see it as a win-win situation. If Bonner starts, then we will have McDyess coming off the Bench along with Ginobili to kick more ass while the Starters rest.

If Bonner is on the Bench and McDyess starts, then we can have someone that can rebound a lot better and play much better D on the Starting Lineup, and Bonner can have limited minutes and play with Ginobili and Blair.

Either way, I want McDyess to get more minutes than Bonner and I don't want Bonner to slow down the development of Blair. I just don't want Bonner screwing anything up. Just do your role and get out, and while you are at it, why don't ya grab some rebounds?

spurspokesman
07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Yup. And he was still tops for three point shooting in the league. He will play way better with a heavily reduced role

Indazone
07-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Start him!!! Bonner is Spurs Gold!!

K-State Spur
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Bonner is the anti-Claxton. Where as many on this board will always remember Speedy as being much better than he was, many will minimize the accomplishments of Bonner (not that he is/was great, but he's far from garbage).

We've upgraded over Bonner because we've added a couple of quality post players. Guys off the street (or Austin) would not have been an upgrade.

Seventyniner
07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't understand the 1st string/2nd string arguments. All five starters will be on the floor together at the beginning of the game, but we all know the crunch time lineup will be Tony/Manu/RJ/Tim/McD, and it's somewhat rare to have five subs in all at the same time. Also, a quintuple substitution is rather rare as well. There are far more than two lineup possibilities, even with only ten players.

IMO, Bonner as Tim's sub works pretty well. Tim is basically going to be a center anyway, and that allows McD or Blair to man the paint while Bonner spots up behind the arc.

YODA
07-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Come on people, Think about it for min before you post.
Bonner will obviously be the first person off the bench at start of year with blair right behind him. Like someone said, you dont bench a 10 and 10 guy in Dice.
As the year goes along and Blair learns, which Im sure he will, He will slowly take away minutes from Bonner. Bonner willl still be usefull versus certain teams and situations.

This talk of 4 bigs coming off the bench is hilarious. You really think Hiarston is gonna get any minutes on a regular basis? Ian is basically a rookie and will probably get less minutes then Hill got last year. He will get his chances, but I dont think he will see consistent playing time unless he has a break out games. Do you see that happening?
I hope for it, but realistically think not. I think Pop wants to slowly bring in Blair and using Bonner ahead of him is perfect. Pop's long range plan is to have
Blair playing alot, but just not right off the back. Bonner will be 1st option off bench and then blair with Ian getting isolated minutes here and there.

Pop normally likes to use 2 big men off the bench and for now, it will be Bonner and Blair.
Anyone else getting limited minutes.

Was thinking over some nice scoring lineups. Can you see RJ, TP, Manu, Blair, Hill on floor? wow,,,I see TP's assists going up because he gonna have a field day runnig with these guys.

I also the D just improving greatly from last year. Interior D was horrible last year, but with Dice and a pounder in Blair,,that should improve....SHOULD that is.

Its gonna be a great year.

angelbelow
07-18-2009, 12:09 PM
He won't play much. But should we try to hold onto him? he is an expiring that could be valuable come Feb.

will_spurs
07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
He is going to help coming off the bench, and in the meanwhile is keeping a roster spot and an expiring contract for Tiago Splitter next summer.

Obstructed_View
07-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Bonner will be much better if he's brought in to shoot, and not to play heavy defense against bigger more skilled players. Without all the banging and without any of the pressure, he's likely to have a good year in a role reduced to what he's supposed to be on the team for. If he's not dealt, there will be many that are pleasantly surprised with his performance. If he is dealt, there will be many more that are downright giddy that he's gone.

spurs opsman
07-19-2009, 07:58 AM
The latest rumor is Matt Bonner to the Pacers for an unprotected 1st round pick!:rollin

45 bank shot
07-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately , BOnner is going nowhere

45 bank shot
07-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Start him!!! Bonner is Spurs Gold!!

actually BOnner is Rockets' best player

The Truth #6
07-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't expect much because he faded when Gooden showed up. With even more competition, I can't see him responding well. If a trade presents itself, it should be taken. If not, we'll hope for the best.

There is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. If he wasn''t that productive in his lengthy minutes on the court last year, I don't see how we should assume he'll be productive just because he's getting less minutes. It's not like he's Manu that excels in quick bursts. Bonner stands out by the 3 point line and waits for something to happen.

It's true he's learned the rotations and doesn't make as many bad mistakes as he used to. He made great strides last season, but it was all about not making mistakes. He didn't do enough positive things on the court. We need a player who can contribute on his own without just being a role player that feeds off the Big 3. He's seems superfluous with the addition of Haislip.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.