PDA

View Full Version : Sir Charles talk about spurs on radio

nbaman99
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Sir Charles was on am570 here on la and talked about the spurs. he was asked " do u think the spurs is a contender or they still on the edge"?

his comments
i think spurs still on the edge. its all depend on the lakers and lamar odem. if lakers don't sign him lakers on and done team and if lakers sign him, lakers have a good chance to win another title but adding Richard Jefferson wont make spurs a championship team, they still on the edge.

SonOfAGun
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
same shit different year.

They don't pay attention to the Spurs, therefore they are not capable of giving an intelligent take on the Spurs the following year after multiple moves have been made.

rayray2k8
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
We'll see how things work out.. Still need to see if the roster will gel.

Extra Stout
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
If Tim Duncan is the 15 and 8 guy he was in the last third of the season, then there are no roster moves that can make the Spurs a contender.

If Tim Duncan goes back to being Tim Duncan, the Spurs are stacked.

Big P
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
He will be kissing our ass around the All Star break.

Nothin new.

bishopospurs
07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
It is funny he ignores Blair when Blair is one of the most similar players to him playing wise to come along in a quite a while.

tmtcsc
07-17-2009, 03:52 PM
The single most important thing that will put us back in contention is the health of Manu and Tim. The other pieces are very important but don't mean as much without us being 100%.

If we're healthy, we are right there with the Lakers, if not better. They took a step back with Artest IMO. He can be great and he can be awful. The Lakers don't need GREAT obviously. They just need someone to be consistent. I don't think Artest is capable of that.

EricB
07-17-2009, 03:52 PM
It is funny he ignores Blair when Blair is one of the most similar players to him playing wise to come along in a quite a while.

He is doing like all the rest of us should be doing.

Seeing how he stacks up to NBA level talent.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
It is the truth imo. Right now the Spurs have a lot of question marks (health, how will the new guys fit, how good are other teams...). Spurs are not the favorites by any stretch so right now they are on the "edge" of being a contender.

EricB
07-17-2009, 03:56 PM
It is the truth imo. Right now the Spurs have a lot of question marks (health, how will the new guys fit, how good are other teams...). Spurs are not the favorites by any stretch so right now they are on the "edge" of being a contender.

That being said, if LO signs with Miami like expected, their depth and overall team will take a huge hit.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 03:59 PM
That being said, if LO signs with Miami like expected, their depth and overall team will take a huge hit.

I agree. If LO is not back in LA, and LA does not make any other major moves ( a trade...) to fill that void, the Spurs will automatically move up into the contender status. But as of right now Bos, Cleav, Orlando and LA are all ahead of them with LA on the top assuming Odom is back.

If Odom leaves, I think keep the 3 east teams ahead, but the Lakers and Spurs are deadlocked. Spurs have the most question marks with regards to health though, so you never know.

nbaman99
07-17-2009, 04:02 PM
kobe said adding rj would be a huge problem for them on espn radio

jack0fspeed
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
You gotta love Charles Barkley / John Hollinger threads. If Barkley or Hollinger say your team sucks, you get post after post saying they are biased idiots. If they say your team is good there is post after post taking it as gospel.

iggypop123
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
what? isnt sir charles one of the biggest spurs lovers out there?

PDXSpursFan
07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
He's right on that "adding Richard Jefferson wont make spurs a championship team" However, if you add a healthy Manu and TD to the mix then the Spurs are contenders.

SA210
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Maybe when the Bucks cut Bruce the Laker's sign him and problem solved. I'd love to see Pop's face if that happened.

elbamba
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
We are closer to a championship trophy at this point than we were at the same point last year. A really strong showing in summer league of four players, two of which will have a key role in the rotation and the other two that will get a chance to prove themselves and earn playing time later in the year.

We signed a bigger name free agent than last year in Dice. And we pulled off an unSpur like trade. Instead of trading at 12th man at the trade deadline we went after an all-star caliber player.

The last time out team looked so different after one year was 2003. Lets hope for a better ending.

elbamba
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe when the Bucks cut Bruce the Laker's sign him and problem solved. I'd love to see Pop's face if that happened.

Why? Bowen is done. A team might pick him up but Bowen, as great as a defensive player as he was, was very much a product of Pops defensive schemes. He was an excellent defender, but he was even better because the Spurs played 8 years of solid team defense with guys that knew the system. Bowen would not be as effective for the Bucks or the Lakers. The only team I could see him really having an impact on would be a team like Utah, the Cavs or the Bobcats.

ffadicted
07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
That doesn't sound like barkley, he's always been one of the few who've given the spurs legit credit.

Link?

Supergirl
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
LOL at the idea that Odom puts the Lakers over the edge as a championship team, but RJ doesn't do the same for the Spurs.

SonOfAGun
07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Part of the reason Tim and Manu were wearing down was because outside of the big 3, the team was PATHETIC!!!

The tide has been risen.

Muser
07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
LOL at the idea that Odom puts the Lakers over the edge as a championship team, but RJ doesn't do the same for the Spurs.

Yes he does, he's a matchup nightmare for any team not named the Bobcats.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Kobe is not Terry. He is not going to say, ya we are better than them no matter what. He knows how to interview. He does not believe that RJ will be enough.

Adding RJ+McDyess (which Charles did not speak about) does get us closer, but did not put us over the top. Plenty of things still have to go right (Lakers lose Odom, Artest not mixing well, healthy...) for the Spurs to win. But they gave themselves a good shot if things go well.

hater
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
that greaseball stopped being "sir" when he called the Spurs cockroaches!

ElNono
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
If Tim Duncan is the 15 and 8 guy he was in the last third of the season, then there are no roster moves that can make the Spurs a contender.

If Tim Duncan goes back to being Tim Duncan, the Spurs are stacked.

I will add that if Ginobili is not healthy, I don't know if we have enough either.

jag
07-17-2009, 04:38 PM

No.

Do you even remember Barkley with the Sixers?

GSH
07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
If Barkley could pick winners, he wouldn't lose his ass in Vegas.

Chieflion
07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
If Barkley could pick winners, he wouldn't lose his ass in Vegas.
This post is full of win.

raspsa
07-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I like it when the so-called experts put the Spurs down and all the focus is on the other glamor teams. All the attention only serves to distract.. the Spurs will make their statement and grab the limelight come the play-offs.

callo1
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Charles has shown plenty of love to the Spurs in the past guys, it isn't a big deal if he has an opinion that the spurs are not quite there yet. He has the right to be wrong:)

mytespurs
07-17-2009, 09:51 PM
The single most important thing that will put us back in contention is the health of Manu and Tim. The other pieces are very important but don't mean as much without us being 100%.

If we're healthy, we are right there with the Lakers, if not better. They took a step back with Artest IMO. He can be great and he can be awful. The Lakers don't need GREAT obviously. They just need someone to be consistent. I don't think Artest is capable of that.

I agree about the health issue. The health of Manu & Tim throughout the season plus the time for this lineup to gel will play a big role in how far the Spurs will go in 2009.

I like what was done during the offseason but I, for one, am not ready to predict the Spurs NBA champions or even WCF champs.

As much as some here refuse or can't accept, the Lakers are still the favorites and the team to beat. If Odom re-signs, which I think is a strong possibility despite the recent rancor, then that has to cement them as the favorites in the West even though the season is months away. Still, anything can happen......

I like our team though despite all the naysayers and smacktalkers. :king

tmtcsc
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I am perfectly happy with the Lakers as the front runners for the West. There hasn't been a back to back champion in 8 years and I expect that trend to continue. The Spurs will be right there in the thick of it at the end of the season.

Spurm
07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Sir Charles was on am570 here on la and talked about the spurs. he was asked " do u think the spurs is a contender or they still on the edge"?

his comments
i think spurs still on the edge. its all depend on the lakers and lamar odem. if lakers don't sign him lakers on and done team and if lakers sign him, lakers have a good chance to win another title but adding Richard Jefferson wont make spurs a championship team, they still on the edge.

Sir Charles as always right on the money!!

I don't know when these dumbasses spurm fans are going to understand they are not contenders and definately not in the same level as the Lakers..

Get it in your stupid heads idiots!! You are DONE!!!

Assholes!

bishopospurs
07-18-2009, 01:25 AM
No.

I was thinking Charles Barkley at Auburn. Since you appear to have followed Barkley from Day 1, I am sure you predicted he would be one of the greatest basketball players of all time when he was weighing over 300 pounds and rebounding at Auburn.

Baseline
07-18-2009, 01:27 AM

It is a huge problem. But the bigger problem for Bryant is that he'll be exposed this year. Without Odom and Ariza, Bryant will lose two selfless players who always let him get all the glory.

Now Bryant will be in aspotlight struggle with Artest. Artest will throw up bad shots, Bryant will throw up bad shots, and then Gasol will get even more irritated than he was in the playoffs. Gasol should get a touch every trip down the court, but he doesn't because it's Bryant's team.

Nobody will say it, but even without Bryant the Lakers still would have been in the Finals last year. The Spurs were hurt, so we weren't going to scare anybody last year. The Lakers were 100% healthy in the playoffs, so they won it because everybody else was injured - Boston, Spurs, Orlando (Jameer).

Sean Cagney
07-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Sir Charles as always right on the money!!

I don't know when these dumbasses spurm fans are going to understand they are not contenders and definately not in the same level as the Lakers..

Get it in your stupid heads idiots!! You are DONE!!!

Assholes!

Yeah and your team never was azzhole........ FUKK YOU your team never was.

elbamba
07-18-2009, 03:18 AM
No.

Who could forget those short shorts?

celldweller
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Barkley is an idiot. Why people value his opinion is beyond me. The man is famous not so much for his basketball play but for his stupid outrageous off the court comments and antics. Sure he's liked the Spurs a couple of years in the past, but a couple of years ago if you didn't pick the spurs you would have looked foolish. Especially when the big three were playing healthy. Remember this is the idiot that picks Utah every year to win it all. Sure I like watching Barkley, but to laugh at not to value his expert analysis. :rolleyes

21_Blessings
07-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Nobody will say it, but even without Bryant the Lakers still would have been in the Finals last year.

You know absolutely nothing about basketball. Congrats.

Gervin44Silas13
07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
What Sir Charles says is nothing new....he's bitter because David got TWO Rings and said that San Antonio would never win a title.....

...Hey charles tell me how the Spurs ass tastes!!!!!!!!

all_heart
07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Kobe is not Terry. He is not going to say, ya we are better than them no matter what. He knows how to interview. He does not believe that RJ will be enough.

Adding RJ+McDyess (which Charles did not speak about) does get us closer, but did not put us over the top. Plenty of things still have to go right (Lakers lose Odom, Artest not mixing well, healthy...) for the Spurs to win. But they gave themselves a good shot if things go well.

Time out there chief.. that's not entirely true. Spurs got a legit chance of taking it all next year if things go right for us regardless of what other teams do. Lakers may be good, but they definitely not unbeatable. No team is.. we all know this. Your statement says that the Lakers with Odom and a well adjusted Artest makes them untouchable.. Yes they are the champs right now, but beginning game 1 of this year, that won't mean shit anymore... Every team will have to put the work in and every (good) team will have a legit chance. Don't forget we got a smart bunch (Tim, Manu, TP and Pop) to rely on along with the ability to grind it out when needed. So far on paper, we got a huge chance to take it all next year. Let's just hope our guys are motivated and stay healthy for the long haul. :ihit :flag: :lobt2:

Go For Tree
07-18-2009, 10:54 AM
that greaseball stopped being "sir" when he called the Spurs cockroaches!

he meant it as a compliment. honest! we just dont die.... we will always be around.

anyway, no big deal about chucks comments. the truth is no team is truly over the top unless they win it all. lakers are the team to beat (which the spurs can do) and will remain the team to beat until they are eliminated.
wih that said i leave you with this.......

FTL