PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the Gregg Popovich Interview

timvp
07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
In the second quarter of the latest Spurs summer league game, Eddie Doucette (the longtime broadcaster for the Milwaukee Bucks) interviewed Pop. Doucette apparently loves to hear himself talk and didn't do a very good job of asking Pop any interesting questions. Thankfully, Pop was in a good mood and offered a few interesting tidbits.

-The Spurs were fortunate and very thrilled that DeJuan Blair was still on the board.

-Blair is a wonderful guy and will be getting minutes pretty quickly.

-As Blair learns, he's going to be a valuable player. Playing with Tim Duncan and Antonio McDyess, he is going to mature more quickly and understand what the game is all about.

-Pop has known RC Buford for over 20 years so it's easy to sit down and be on the same page. In a lot of organizations, the owner, general manager and the coach aren't always on the same page. For the Spurs, it's been easy and has allowed the franchise to make moves that are good for the club rather than making moves to make the coach look good, or make the GM look good or to save money. The Spurs figure out what fits on the team, what they need and then go out and get it.

-The summer league is about finding kids who fit into certain situations, complement your ballclub and fill in the gaps.

-George Hill is the main reason for the summer league. The Spurs want Hill to develop and play the backup point guard position. Also, the Spurs want him to play some shooting guard -- he's a great defender. He just needs to be out there in the pick-and-roll situations, which is now seen so much in the NBA. The summer is huge for Hill.

-Playing behind Tony Parker helped Hill a great deal. At IUPUI, he was a scorer and a shooting guard -- he didn't play point guard at all. This is something that is totally new for him.

-The Spurs look for two things in summer league. The first thing is development in certain people, like George Hill. The other thing is evaluation -- both your guys and the other guys in the league. There's so much talent and who knows where that certain individual is going to come from that can complement your team.

-Pop really likes what he's seeing from the summer league team. George Hill is important, as is getting DeJuan Blair indoctrinated. Watching Ian Mahinmi, who has been hurt a lot of the time he's been with the Spurs in the last two years, is important and the Spurs want to see him develop. Malik Hairston is a perimeter player that the team is really high on and they want to see how he does in summer league.

-Stephane Lasme is a really hard worker -- like a Carl Landry or a Luis Scola. Not as good or not as talented but that sort of a player who is going to hustle all the time. Lasme is a great rebounder for his size and he's really mature. He should find a place on a team. If not with the Spurs, then he'll likely get a good contract in Europe.

-Hairston had a great year in the D-league last year. The Spurs will keep an eye on how he's developing.

-Letting go of players after summer league is one of the toughest parts of Pop's job. He might be the first person in the kid's life to tell him, "No, you're not good enough right now." It's devastating to a lot of kids and it's really the first time that they start to see how tough a road making the NBA might be. Pop always gives these players the Avery Johnson example about how long it took him and how many teams he played for before he was able to settle in. It's a difficult thing to do but it's also a responsibility because the player needs to have an evaluation. Then it's up to the player to either take it to heart or kiss it off, but hopefully the player takes something with him to make him better for the next team or the next situation.

-Some players can't handle the let down of not making it right away -- they'll blame other people. The players the Spurs try to find are the players who have bounce around, stick with it and then break through when the light bulb finally comes on.

-The Spurs have had a lot of foreign players and the main positive with foreign players is that they don't feel entitled. They come in, they are really happy to be here and they really want to learn. Their work ethic is impeccable. The Spurs try to find players who want to prove something. There's a lot of talent all around the world. The foreign kids have been fundamentally sound for the last eight or nine years. Their coaching has been fantastic and they spend a lot of time in the gym. A lot of them practice twice a day for their whole careers so they are really well drilled.

-Pop hopes and thinks that the injury situation has cleared up with the team. If the Spurs are going to win an NBA championship, they have to be the healthy team. Kobe Bryant can't do it by himself, he needs to have Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. That holds true with the top nine or ten teams in the league.

-Tim Duncan is not running up hills and doing the things he usually does in the summer. The Spurs are holding him off. Manu Ginobili is healthy again. Pop hopes that adding Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess puts the Spurs back in the ballgame.

-The Spurs have been working on the Jefferson trade since last year's trade deadline. RC Buford stayed on top of it and continued the communication with the Bucks. When Milwaukee finally decided they were willing to do the deal, the Spurs felt the same. The trade makes the Spurs a better team on both ends of the court. Jefferson is a good defender and his addition makes the Spurs a younger, more athletic team. The Spurs needed those things at this point in the team's progression.

-McDyess can score, he's a pro and he's a good defender. He's a Kurt Thomas-type player, but he has more scoring ability in a variety of different ways. McDyess' experience will really help the Spurs but mostly his offensive potential is something the Spurs needed in the frontcourt.

-McDyess is a wonderful human being and everyone really respects him. He commands respect very naturally -- he doesn't have to overwork it. Jefferson will keep the team loose due to his great sense of humor and will be a wonderful addition to the lockerroom as well.

-Duncan is thrilled about the additions. He was excited both when the Spurs traded for Jefferson and signed McDyess.

-Duncan needs a little bit more help. Getting older, he needed more help just like how Kobe Bryant needed Pau Gasol -- it makes life easier.

-Gasol is a wonderful player in every facet of the game. He thinks the game, he understands what's going on, he's smart and he adjusts as the game goes along both defensive and offensively. He knows what's necessary and he plays off of his teammates well. Gasol is a special player.

-After missing the first two games of the summer league due to being in France at Tony Parker's camp, Pop is excited to come watch the last three games. He was excited like a little kid just to get a chance to see how the team plays, who does well, who's nervous and who's not.

-Summer league is a huge advantage. It's like taking a crash course in another language. The players can go out and focus on what the Spurs want them to improve in their individual games.

-This is the first chance the Spurs are getting to really see what Mahinmi can do and see if he knows how to play.

-RC Buford, Dell Demps and Dennis Lindsey do the brunt of the scouting work. They have regional contacts but they are the ones who go back and fourth to Europe. Once they pinpoint someone, then they have Pop take a trip.

-Scouting has changed drastically. Back in the 1980s, Pop was in Cologne, Germany watching their Final Four and watching Sarunas Marciulionis and Vlade Divac. Back then, the only other pro coach that was in the room was Don Nelson. The rest of the NBA didn't believe in foreign players for a variety of reasons. Nowadays, there's no player that is hidden. Everyone knows where the players are -- know it's a matter of who you want to pull the trigger on.

-Pop doesn't believe it's true that there is a shortage of talent in Europe. Not only in countries like Italy but also in Eastern Europe in countries like Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Poland -- who produced Marcin Gortat. The European prospects are going to keep coming.

-In Europe, they have done a great job of teaching the fundamentals and the players are grounded. They are well-schooled and their sense of team basketball, ball movement, people movement and spacing on the court is really excellent. The NBA has gained from that.

-The Lakers are still the best team in the Western Conference and the entire NBA. They're the team that has to be beaten. There are probably five or six other teams that are going to make a good run at a championship. Now there are more capable teams in the Eastern Conference. A few years ago, there were only one or two contenders in the East. Now, the top three or four teams in the East and the top six or seven teams in the West will just beat the hell out of each other. No one is really better than anyone else depending on how they are playing come playoff time -- except for the Lakers.

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the recap timvp

-Tim Duncan is not running up hills and doing the things he usually does in the summer. The Spurs are holding him off.

I hope it helps TD knees

CubanMustGo
07-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Shit, Pop said more in this interview than any five previous.

it's me
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Shit, Pop said more in this interview than any five previous.

Than in his whole life as a head coach.

duncan228
07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks, really appreciate your time to do this.

Tim Duncan is not running up hills and doing the things he usually does in the summer. The Spurs are holding him off.

I'm thrilled. It's not easy to keep Duncan down, he wants to be doing everything he can. I'm glad the Spurs got their way. The season's success starts with Duncan's health.

Duncan needs a little bit more help. Getting older, he needed more help just like how Kobe Bryant needed Pau Gasol -- it makes life easier.

The organization has put their money where their mouth is. Anything that makes Duncan's job easier will bring good results.

I'm so stoked for this season. After '07, when little change was made, I began to wonder if I'd see Duncan win another one. I always felt he had more in him, but he needed help. He's got it now. It's going to be a fun year.

CubanMustGo
07-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Doucette must have shared a very fine bottle of wine with Pop before all that came spilling out.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I just find it strange that the Spurs brass act like they have never seen Ian play??? He played for the Toros and played in SL last year....I know they want to see certain things, but they act like he just showed up and introduced himself.

Spur|n|Austin
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Remember the shape Timmy was in after last grueling summer? I like him resting, but man he had a great 1st half of the season last year.

Zarko
07-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Pop seemed extremely relaxed. The goofball announcer asked some stupid questions and Pop just went with the flow and was extremely courteous. If this was the middle of the season, he'd have taken that guys head off.

Mark in Austin
07-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Tim Duncan is not running up hills and doing the things he usually does in the summer. The Spurs are holding him off.

If it's true that only rest or surgery will help clear up Tim's condition, I guess they are going the rest route.

It is worh noting though that at the start of last season, Tim's new summer workout routine (throwing tires, etc.) was credited for him being in such great shape; and before the injury flared up he was moving better than he had in years.

Obviously a summer of light / no activity will help the knees. I just wonder how it will effect everything else...

duncan228
07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Remember the shape Timmy was in after last grueling summer? I like him resting, but man he had a great 1st half of the season last year.

He did have a great first half. But I think we paid for it when there was too much demand on him. I like the steady approach at this point in Duncan's career. I'm sure he'll be working in August, he'll come into camp ready. If he can play managed minutes and rest on back-to-backs we'll reap the benefits come Playoffs.

Death In June
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
[I]Duncan needs a little bit more help. Getting older, he needed more help just like how Kobe Bryant needed Pau Gasol -- it makes life easier. So, does this mean there are plans for adding another big? Or was he referring to McDyse.

Solid D
07-17-2009, 05:49 PM
That's a great post of what Pop said to Doucette, timvp. Thanks for leaving out the bulk of the interview.....Eddie Doucette's comments, that is. :smokin

Regarding Timmy's knees...I've always been concerned about the "John Lucas hill" in the back of the Spurs practice facility. Running hills can help build up your leg and lower back mucscles but it's tough on the cartilage and ligments in the joints. Call me an unnecessary worrier, but I've disliked that hill ever since Lucas had it built over there on Broadway by Incarnate Word.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I used to run that Hill when i played soccer at the word.

Solid D
07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I used to run that Hill when i played soccer at the word.

How is the Chondromalacia in your knees, now?

JGrice02
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
That's a great post of what Pop said to Doucette, timvp. Thanks for leaving out the bulk of the interview.....Eddie Doucette's comments, that is. :smokin

Regarding Timmy's knees...I've always been concerned about the "John Lucas hill" in the back of the Spurs practice facility. Running hills can help build up your leg and lower back mucscles but it's tough on the cartilage and ligments in the joints. Call me an unnecessary worrier, but I've disliked that hill ever since Lucas had it built over there on Broadway by Incarnate Word.

You guys are brutal. I thought it was a really good interview, especially considering the Spurs are not the team Doucette normally covers. That was the most I have ever heard Pop talk to someone. Who cares how much Doucette talked -- he also got Pop to talk a lot. You may not like the route Doucette took but he got more out of Pop than I have ever seen. Heck, look at the freakin interview notes! There was some good stuff in there...

timvp
07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I just find it strange that the Spurs brass act like they have never seen Ian play??? He played for the Toros and played in SL last year....I know they want to see certain things, but they act like he just showed up and introduced himself.

Yeah, Pop was weird about it. Douchette asked him what he thinks about Mahinmi and Pop deflected the question and just made a joke.

timvp
07-17-2009, 05:58 PM
So, does this mean there are plans for adding another big? Or was he referring to McDyse.

Pop was comparing the additions of this summer to the Lakers' addition of Gasol.

easjer
07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
timvp, as always, THANK YOU for posting these. I hate missing out and your recaps are so thorough and interesting.

I assume Duncan is doing some conditioning that won't strain his ligaments or joints - is that an incorrect assumption? Surely swimming and underwater training could be continued without damaging anything?

duncan228
07-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I assume Duncan is doing some conditioning that won't strain his ligaments or joints - is that an incorrect assumption? Surely swimming and underwater training could be continued without damaging anything?

I think it's a safe assumption.

Duncan's usual summer program includes swimming. I would think he's working in anyway he can with as little risk to his knees as possible. Usually he kicks it up in August, by himself and with the player only practices he runs. Maybe we'll get some official idea of how he's doing then.

peskypesky
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM

:lmao

peskypesky
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Is Pop on Prozac?

raspsa
07-17-2009, 06:38 PM
He was terrific early in the season. I think he may have overdone his training a bit though, flipping truck tires and running those hills.. his dedication can never be questioned. My guess is they have him doing a lot of low-impact exercises in the pool.. maybe some upper body strengthening.. and I hope shooting 500 FTs a day.

DPG21920
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
How is the Chondromalacia in your knees, now?

My knees are fine, but I am not 6'11 and carrying the weight of Duncan around.

urunobili
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
damn thanks so much... from not being able to watch the game yesterday the interview is what i wanted to hear the most...

johngateswhiteley
07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the recap timvp

I hope it helps TD knees

he needs to do heavy deadlifts...seriously. i wish i was his trainer.

Phenomanul
07-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Pop is just as giddy as the rest of us... all these new additions have unwound him quite a bit... compared to this point last year Goucette was probably much less imposing than the grizzly bear that made Pop go a little cookoo... anyways, in all his anxiousness, we got to see an extended version of what goes on in Pop's head...

Brazil
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice read. Thank timvp.

not sure about

Brazil
07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
sorry not sure about that quote :

-Hairston had a great year in the D-league last year. The Spurs will keep an eye on how he's developing.

Does he mean that Hairston could stay one more year in D-league ?

picnroll
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
sorry not sure about that quote :

Does he mean that Hairston could stay one more year in D-league ?

Unless they move Finley or Mason he should go to Austin. No point in spending the year at the end of the bench.

ElNono
07-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Who are Hill and Hairston?
No comments about Bell and Harrison?

tp2021
07-17-2009, 08:32 PM
-Duncan is thrilled about the additions. He was excited both when the Spurs traded for Jefferson and signed McDyess.

When The Franchise is happy, then :lobt2:

elbamba
07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont think it was the training that did him in. It was the first half of the season making up for the Manu injury, plus the early part of the season when Parker was out as well.

itzsoweezee
07-17-2009, 09:19 PM
seems to me that popovich is still not as up on hairston as he should be. what does the guy need to do to get a shot at some legit PT with the spurs?

Danny.Zhu
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
[I]

-Gasol is a wonderful player in every facet of the game. He thinks the game, he understands what's going on, he's smart and he adjusts as the game goes along both defensive and offensively. He knows what's necessary and he plays off of his teammates well. Gasol is a special player.

If you know that, why didn't you offer anything better than Kwame plus some picks?

Ice009
07-17-2009, 11:00 PM
If you know that, why didn't you offer anything better than Kwame plus some picks?

Who are you replying to here with that? Timvp or the Lakers?

loveforthegame
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Timvp, thanks for the recap. :tu

They not only want Hill to play backup pg but he'll get some minutes at sg as well. Won't Mason and Ginobli eat up most those minutes?

Mr. Body
07-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Hairston would dominate the D-League if he played there this year. They need to find NBA time for him.

Russ
07-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Hairston would dominate the D-League if he played there this year. They need to find NBA time for him.

Hairston should be in the rotation.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2009, 02:12 AM
-Pop doesn't believe it's true that there is a shortage of talent in Europe. Not only in countries like Italy but also in Eastern Europe in countries like Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Poland -- who produced Marcin Gortat. The European prospects are going to keep coming.Did you notice he deliberately left out Greece?

Bruno
07-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Tim Duncan is not running up hills and doing the things he usually does in the summer. The Spurs are holding him off. Manu Ginobili is healthy again. Pop hopes that adding Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess puts the Spurs back in the ballgame.

Good news. It isn't at all a big deal if Tim isn't in top shape for the start of the season. I'm quite convinced that what Tim did last summer was a big reason of the tendinosis.

The Spurs have had a lot of foreign players and the main positive with foreign players is that they don't feel entitled. They come in, they are really happy to be here and they really want to learn. Their work ethic is impeccable.

http://www.kzs-zveza.si/kzs/slike/udrih_beno.jpg

angelbelow
07-18-2009, 02:56 AM
lol Beano

kace
07-18-2009, 03:01 AM
- Pop : "In Europe, they have done a great job of teaching the fundamentals and the players are grounded. They are well-schooled and their sense of team basketball, ball movement, people movement and spacing on the court is really excellent. The NBA has gained from that".

In the same idea, Larry Brown, who is helping the french NT, has said today in an french interview: "the game is better played here (in Europe) and i know i will have some problems for saying that"

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2009/20090717_215840_sous-l-oeil-de-larry-brown.html

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2009, 08:19 AM
When The Franchise is happy, then :lobt2:

Tony said something?

Brazil
07-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Tony said something?

:rollin

Ocotillo
07-18-2009, 11:31 AM
lol the Beno post from Bruno. I was going to post after reading this thread that Pop must have blocked Beno out of his memory.

Russ
07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, Pop was weird about it. Douchette asked him what he thinks about Mahinmi and Pop deflected the question and just made a joke.

The Spurs brass has been uniformly noncomittal in their public statements about Mahinmi -- as if repeating talking points. RC volunteers that they don't know what to expect of him. In response to a question about Ian's great potential, Lindsey hestitates and replies "that's what we would hope."

They clearly want to get Mahinmi's attention and they appear to have it -- he's playing with urgency. Kremlinologists can read the tea leaves until October 31 when the Spurs must decide upon his '10-'11 option.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the notes LJ, excellent reading! :tu

Shit, Pop said more in this interview than any five hundred previous.

FIFY. :)

Summers
07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
timvp, as always, THANK YOU for posting these. I hate missing out and your recaps are so thorough and interesting.

Blair mentioned seeing him lifting weights and of course they have the pool (or lane or one of those magic wave thing) in the practice facility for him, so I hope he's being easy on his knees.

Summers
07-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Oh, and thanks to timvp for typing up the summary. Much appreciated! :tu

duncan228
07-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Spurs Coach Pop, "If we don't win it, I should probably be fired" (http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Spurs-Coach-Pop-If-we-dont-win-it-I-should/fMAazroCy0u66BH0XV0k7A.cspx)
by: David Chancellor

LAS VEGAS, Nevada - Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't say much during the off-season, so when he does, its big news -- even when he's joking. At least, it sounds like Pop's sense of humor.

In an interview with Art Garcia from NBA.com on the Spurs recent makeover, Coach Pop quipped, “If we don't win it, I should probably be fired.”

Pop made those comments while visiting his summer league team in Las Vegas. He said he's thrilled with the off-season moves. They've reloaded through trades, the draft and free agency.

The Spurs were able to add Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, two players with plenty of post-season experience, without compromising the Tim Duncan-Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili core. The team also did well in the draft with second-round steal DeJuan Blair.

Even with all these positive additions, Pop says the Spurs will only go as far as the health of Tim and Manu allows next season.

Video: Coach Pop, "If we don't win, I should probably be fired" (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected]&navCatId=15)

The Garcia article:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131457

Spurs Brazil
07-19-2009, 03:05 PM
DeJuan Blair recorded his second double-double of the week. Gregg Popovich on what he's getting in Blair: "A rebounder and someone who has a high effort level all the time on the boards, and running the floor. He enjoys playing, which is probably his main gift."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-97/Day-Nine-Summer-League-Roundup.html

Sisk
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Who are Hill and Hairston?
No comments about Bell and Harrison?

i'm wondering the same thing

thanks a lot for this timvp didn't get a chance to hear it