PDA

View Full Version : Lets end this Blair ACL BS, mmmkay?

holcs50
07-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Saw the other thread and just wanted to add to it but make sure this info can be seen and all the BS about ACL shit can be done.

First of all, my cousin-32-has been functioning with no ACL's for a long time. I think he was young 20s when he messed them up but didn't want to do surgery. For the last 10 years I've been skiing and snowboarding with him once a year for a week-this is in Vail-and on doubles and extreme terrain, not once has he felt pain or had the "slip", and the kid has no ACLs. He is completely 100 % athletically.

I got my ACL reconstructed two years ago after a football injury because I didn't want to take the chance of never being able to do sports i love like bball, fball, skiing, surfing, snowboarding, etc. Any sport you plant your foot and make cuts or twists are risky for ACLs. I got unfortunate, planted wrong on a post play and boom. (just for insight, you don't know at first, it hurts, but i ran it off on the side, the thing with acl's is you can run fine in a straight line, jog, etc...so i got back out there and made a cut for a post pattern, instant fail, ha, and fall to the ground-it gives out. i completely tore it, so swollen next day, but didn't officially know till mri). Anyways there was a choice, A. to take a while off from sports, let the swelling go down, and there IS a significant amount of people who can function just as well without ACLs...FACT, one of the best ACL docs who did mine in SD told me. I didn't want to take the chance so i had the surgery because a lot of people won't be able to function without acl(s). Was an awful , awful recovery period, but it works-my leg is stronger and more agile than its ever been...

I guess I just wanted to give some info on ACL's from personal experiences, people are different, some people like my cousin and it seems like blair can do amazing things without acls. Leave it at that, blair will be fine for awhile, lets just enjoy how badass he's going to be next year. He has obviously shown he can perform at a very very high athletic level without them. The tendon isn't like a heart, you don't need it, nor is it a necessity, for him his mcl, lcl and surrounding tendons i bet are strong as hell. /thread :toast
:flag:

spursbird
07-18-2009, 07:27 AM
But Blair is a professional basketball player, and no ACLs will certainly affect his career. No one knows how long he can play efficiently. But no problem, with only two to three years left for Spurs to have a good chance at winning the championship, it really doesn't matter. And who care that much considering he's just a 37th pick.

holcs50
07-18-2009, 07:34 AM
But Blair is a professional basketball player, and no ACLs will certainly affect his career. No one knows how long he can play efficiently. But no problem, with only two to three years left for Spurs to have a good chance at winning the championship, it really doesn't matter. And who care that much considering he's just a 37th pick.

This is true spursbird, no one tests knees day in and day out like a basketball player. But, like I said about my cousin, he snowboards/skiis, and a LOT. He doesn't just go that week with me he goes quite a few times in the winter and does hard impact landings, hard jerks, hard changes of footing each year and has been fine. I just wanted to point out its soooo possible he does great without anything wrong till he even wants to retire...People just are so negative about it and they now nothing about the ligament or the injury and that's what makes me mad. He will be great, i have a lot of confidence knowing his history and relating it to what ive seen personally

Darkwaters
07-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Couldn't resist...mmmkay.

HXnUZBD_qV4

Interrohater
07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Blair FTACL!

4down
07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
At least we don't have to worry about him tearing his ACL in the middle of a game, am I right?

holcs50
07-18-2009, 09:33 AM
LOL thats a good way of looking at it-though i cant ever think of an nba player who tore their acl in game besides livingston who did a hell of a lot more than an acl-he pretty much took out his mcl, lcl, acl and knee in the same blow

Chieflion
07-18-2009, 10:23 AM
LOL thats a good way of looking at it-though i cant ever think of an nba player who tore their acl in game besides livingston who did a hell of a lot more than an acl-he pretty much took out his mcl, lcl, acl and knee in the same blow
I think of Al Jefferson and Michael Redd. I think Gilbert Arenas also blew out his knee in a game too.

Darkwaters
07-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe not his ACL, but something like a torn meniscus becomes a higher risk

I'm more concerned for the health of guys that try and get rebounds over DeJuan. It could get ugly and painful.

Doctor J
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm more concerned for the health of guys that try and get rebounds over DeJuan. It could get ugly and painful.

Ditto! That's the feeling I've got, too. :toast

Pucho!!!
07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I've been tryin to tell people it aint as bad as they make it out. Ur friend, just like Blair, lost his ACLs at a young age allowing his body to compensate and adjust for the lack of. Blair had his removed right around puberty, everyone knows how fast u used to heal around those days, so I have confidence that Blair will be fine esp since he's converting the lito bit of fat he got into ripped muscle! Guy is a beast and hasn't shown otherwise! :toast

holcs50
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe not his ACL, but something like a torn meniscus becomes a higher risk

a lot of times when acl's are torn meniscus's are too. luckily i didn't. Meniscus's are important tho. The knee is such a complicated joint. You have 4 pretty important ligaments, the knee, meniscuses. All are important, but people still have been known to excel without a one or two of them. There's so many things going on there that if one maybe gives out there's enough support to help out. See above, lol. There's a reason there's a lot of ligaments, tendons-it connects two of the biggest muscles in the body. In certain cases the body adjusts to what it has-blair, my cuz. Blair will be completely fine

angelbelow
07-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear that you're all better.

holcs50
07-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear that you're all better.

thx, and yea my knee is great, but the point was just to explain to people how ACLs work and how injuries like that affect the knee so we don't get anymore of this "blair-no ACL BS". But yea I mean I definitely know all about ACL's and anything knee injury related...and just to anyone out there in spurstalk, if you do it, it aint the end of the world, surgery is like 2 hours, recovery sucks, but in the end i guarantee if you have a good surgeon you'll be as strong as you were before...or stronger.

cherylsteele
07-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I am not sure but maybe Bernard King?

Mr Bones
07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Rick Kamla was one of the announcers for the SL game tonight and said he talked to people with inside knowledge of the situation and that Blair has both of his ligaments but they are thinner than normal.

sexinthatsx
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Saw the other thread and just wanted to add to it but make sure this info can be seen and all the BS about ACL shit can be done.

First of all, my cousin-32-has been functioning with no ACL's for a long time. I think he was young 20s when he messed them up but didn't want to do surgery. For the last 10 years I've been skiing and snowboarding with him once a year for a week-this is in Vail-and on doubles and extreme terrain, not once has he felt pain or had the "slip", and the kid has no ACLs. He is completely 100 % athletically.

I got my ACL reconstructed two years ago after a football injury because I didn't want to take the chance of never being able to do sports i love like bball, fball, skiing, surfing, snowboarding, etc. Any sport you plant your foot and make cuts or twists are risky for ACLs. I got unfortunate, planted wrong on a post play and boom. (just for insight, you don't know at first, it hurts, but i ran it off on the side, the thing with acl's is you can run fine in a straight line, jog, etc...so i got back out there and made a cut for a post pattern, instant fail, ha, and fall to the ground-it gives out. i completely tore it, so swollen next day, but didn't officially know till mri). Anyways there was a choice, A. to take a while off from sports, let the swelling go down, and there IS a significant amount of people who can function just as well without ACLs...FACT, one of the best ACL docs who did mine in SD told me. I didn't want to take the chance so i had the surgery because a lot of people won't be able to function without acl(s). Was an awful , awful recovery period, but it works-my leg is stronger and more agile than its ever been...

I guess I just wanted to give some info on ACL's from personal experiences, people are different, some people like my cousin and it seems like blair can do amazing things without acls. Leave it at that, blair will be fine for awhile, lets just enjoy how badass he's going to be next year. He has obviously shown he can perform at a very very high athletic level without them. The tendon isn't like a heart, you don't need it, nor is it a necessity, for him his mcl, lcl and surrounding tendons i bet are strong as hell. /thread :toast
:flag:

dude I think you're misunderstanding the whole point. The reason they said he doesn't have any ACL's is because in the initial MRIs taken which was released to the team physicians before the draft, it was noticeable that Dejuan Blair didn't have them. The reason for this is because the scar tissue has covered the whole anterior cruciate ligament causing the MRI to be misread. So technically, Dejuan Blair did, in fact, have both of his knees surgically repaired and his ligaments are still there, it's just that it's stronger because of the scar tissue that has developed around it. So in conclusion, YES HE DOES HAVE BOTH HIS ACLs INTACT.
I tore my ACL on my right knee too... I'm in like my 4th month of rehab and i think i have a long time to go still before i can participate in any cutting sports.

Tully365
07-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Unless someone on spurstalk has sat down with an actual surgeon who specializes in knee surgery and looked at and discussed Blair's actual MRI, there is no possible way to know what the specific and exact situation is. Anything else is complete guesswork based on internet rumors and articles written by sports journalists.

:lol This thread only adds to the BS. Mmmkay?

sexinthatsx
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Unless someone on spurstalk has sat down with an actual surgeon who specializes in knee surgery and looked at and discussed Blair's actual MRI, there is no possible way to know what the specific and exact situation is. Anything else is complete guesswork based on internet rumors and articles written by sports journalists.

:lol This thread only adds to the BS. Mmmkay?

Umm, actually... no. It was confirmed that Dejuan Blair tore both his ACL's during his high school career, and it was confirmed that he did have them surgically replaced. The scar tissue that has developed around his ACL's further prove that he did tear it. So even if we do not know the SPECIFIC and EXACT situation, we still have a pretty good idea of the infrastructure of Blair's knees.

Sigz
07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
mmmmmmmkay?

Tully365
07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
It was confirmed that Dejuan Blair tore both his ACL's during his high school career

That's true.

it was confirmed that he did have them surgically replaced

That's true.

The scar tissue that has developed around his ACL's further prove that he did tear it.

Do you have a link for this?

we still have a pretty good idea of the infrastructure of Blair's knees

Cool. Could you sum it up for me? Two days ago he had no ACLs. Today he has two intact thinning ACLs. :lol

honestfool84
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Lets end this Blair ACL BS. Let's start a new thread, mmmkay?

George.W.Bush
07-19-2009, 10:14 PM
ACL?

No.. it goes A, B, C, D...

holcs50
07-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Lets end this Blair ACL BS. Let's start a new thread, mmmkay?

Mmmmmmkay!!! Its easy mmmkay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXch0X6-tQo

step 1 instead of ass say buns
step 2 instead of shit say poo
step 3 with bitch drop the t
step 4 don't say fuck anymore cuz fuck is the worst word you that can say so just say MMMM KAY!!

sexinthatsx
07-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Tully, for the scar tissue, it can only develop around his knee if he had a tear of some sort, more noticeably something called a meniscus tear, which is the tissue that surrounds the anterior cruciate ligament. This tissue helps protect the ACL, and since the media said that Blair's MRI showed no ligaments, it was because of the scar tissue that already surrounded his surgically repaired ligaments that caused this statement.

However, I did not know that as of now, he has two intact THINNING acl's; I was unaware the scar tissue buildup could cause the ligaments to become thinner. I was only under the impression that the scar tissue buildup is stronger than the ligaments themselves and help prevent them from further damages.

Tully365
07-20-2009, 04:26 AM
My point all along has been that none of us know, and whether or not the new thin ACL angle is correct or not, it is silly of people to post comments telling others to shut up because the situation with Blair has already been discussed and finalized. All of the statements about him having no ACLs and other muscles compensating for them is nothing more than a wild guess based on a rumor, and as we saw the other day with the rumor about Sean Elliott being shot and killed, internet rumors are pretty lame things to base one's opinions on, and a really stupid foundation for calling other people uninformed. The only "Blair ACL BS" going on here is coming from posters who claim to know what the situation with his knees is-- they don't.

holcs50
07-20-2009, 04:42 AM
dude i take what i've read and applied what I knew about ACLs. No reason to get all testy. A lot of people don't know about the ACL ligament and I thought giving a little personal experience and knowledge would help people understand. I stand by what I said about him, and feel people put too much into the knee situation with him. all im saying is knowing what we know I feel confident he'll be fine-of course injuries can happen to anyone/anytime but considering his situation i don't think his previous injuries will play a part in his play.

And bro remember just say mmmmmkay! lolll

DMX7
07-20-2009, 08:37 AM
bump

honestfool84
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Mmmmmmkay!!! Its easy mmmkay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXch0X6-tQo

step 1 instead of ass say buns
step 2 instead of shit say poo
step 3 with bitch drop the t
step 4 don't say fuck anymore cuz fuck is the worst word you that can say so just say MMMM KAY!!

mmmkay.

:wakeup

sabar
07-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Spurstalk needs more ACL and Odom threads