PDA

View Full Version : Can we call Tim Duncan a PF already?

nikegirl
07-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I know that some argue he plays like a center blah blah, which has its own merit. But for everything that Timmy has given the Spurs, can we just respect his preference of being called a power forward? I know it's just a petty thing but I'm kinda getting annoyed at people insisting on calling him a center. Like I said, it does have some merit to it, but it's not like it's not arguable that he's a pf as well.

So just out of respect to the greatest Spur and greatest pf of all time, can we just call him a pf? Regardless of whether we think he's a pf or not.
:toast

spursbird
07-18-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't care if he's a pf. I just know he's GREAT.

nikegirl
07-18-2009, 07:53 AM
I know, but just out of respect for what he wants to be called can't we just do it? When people make hypothetical line-ups why can't they just put Timmy at pf and McDyess or whoever at c? Timmy has already said he's a pf and that's what he wants to be called. He said he feels he has more moves than "limited" centers which makes him think he is a pf.

Darkwaters
07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I don't care if he's a pf. I just know he's GREAT.

:tu

Interrohater
07-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I'll call him Grandma if he wants me to.

nikegirl
07-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I'll call him Grandma if he wants me to.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Cmon guys! Let him be a pf if he wants to.:lol

Solid D
07-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Can we call Tim Duncan a PF already?

Sure, you can call Timmy a PF. You can call A-Rod a Shortstop too.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Duncan is listed as the Power Forward for every game. No reason to call him anything else, regardless of what he does on the court.

Bruno
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I find Duncan's wish of being called a PF while he plays C quite ridiculous.

spursfan09
07-18-2009, 01:07 PM
So are you disrespecting Tim when you call yourself "nikegirl" instead of "adidasgirl"?

WildcardManu
07-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Timmy is a PF

Dice
07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
With there being so few true centers in the league these days I'd think he'd find it a compliment to be labeled a center.

Call him a center and then ask where he stands as far as active true centers in the league and he's easily in my top 3.

ffadicted
07-18-2009, 01:18 PM
This topic is worse then the trade ginobili threads.

Gino2882
07-18-2009, 01:22 PM
He is a PF. Always will be. In reality, doesn't matter. Let it go.

SonOfAGun
07-18-2009, 01:23 PM
The label is meaningless.

Duncan has so many skills that your average Centers don't even dream about.

If the Spurs didn't put so many god awful "big men" next to Tim Duncan, Duncan would not be forced to carry the team and look like a center.

The truth is Shaq was this era's center, so Duncan must be this era's power forward in order to have just as powerful a legacy.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I find Duncan's wish of being called a PF while he plays C quite ridiculous.

I don't. He came into the league as a PF, and playing with Robinson, PF was what he was. Duncan is consistent in everything he does, staying with the PF label isn't surprising.

On a side note, when he started to play he wanted to be a point guard. Maybe we should call him that. :lol

Bruno
07-18-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't. He came into the league as a PF, and playing with Robinson, PF was what he was. Duncan is consistent in everything he does, staying with the PF label isn't surprising.

On a side note, when he started to play he wanted to be a point guard. Maybe we should call him that. :lol

I would be surprised that you find something Duncan related ridiculous. :)

I don't care about how Duncan want to be labeled. If he wants to be called a PG to match his youth wish, I have no problem with that. I just find that wanting to be called a PF while he doesn't played this position for 3 years quite odd.

timvp
07-18-2009, 02:06 PM
The only two things he cares about is winning championships and being labeled a power forward. Considering that he might be the lowest maintenance superstar in sporting history, I think the least Spurs fans can do is support his lone wish.

Darkwaters
07-18-2009, 02:11 PM
The only two things he cares about is winning championships and being labeled a power forward. Considering that he might be the lowest maintenance superstar in sporting history, I think the least Spurs fans can do is support his lone wish.

I do think it's kind of funny that a guy that really doesn't publically seem to care about much is so adomant about that. Duncan keeps quiet and to himself but for whatever reason has always been unwavering on that.

Interesting.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I would be surprised that you find something Duncan related ridiculous. :)

I might be a little biased. :lol :)

Agreed. After how Duncan conducts himself and what he's brought to this team there shouldn't be any problem supporting him. It's just not that big a deal.

Muser
07-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't care what he wants to be called, he's earned the right to be called whatever he wants.

RodNIc91
07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Duncan 228, When you went to your first game did you manage to get to know Timmy?

duncan228
07-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Duncan 228, When you went to your first game did you manage to get to know Timmy?

I got to watch him for his entire pregame workout amd got his autograph as he left the court when he was done.

My story, and more pics, is here:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090305_myfirstspursgame.html

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/3-2-09%20temp/3-2-0913.jpg

Sharing it with ST made it even sweeter.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116579

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118712

BadOdor
07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Because he wants to be called the "best-ever" in his position. No chance in hell if he was a center.

Libri
07-18-2009, 08:09 PM
He wants to be called Merlin.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
He wants to be called Merlin.

November 1997.

Duncan's unusual hobby and more unusual request

Tim Duncan has a couple of obsessions not usually equated with today's hip-hop NBA: Renaissance fairs, samurai swords, and most importantly, Dungeons and Dragons. Known as "D&D" among afficinados, the fantasy role playing game engages players' imaginations as they trek through the imaginary world of GreyHawk. Along the way, players encounter friendly and hostile dragons, elves and a variety of otherworldly beings.

"It's a great escape from the rigors of the NBA," Duncan said while rolling his lucky 20 sided die while casting a spell of invisibility.

"I got hooked on D&D at Wake (Forest). Me and some buddies would play for hours at a time until I had to go to practice. My character is a 13th level lawful evil sorceror named Merlin (after the magician from Arthurian legend). Today, he has 98 hit points and an armor class of 2. My Charisma is 21. That's perfect."

The game's jargon aside, Duncan has made a more permanent commitment to his love of D&D.

"I have a tattoo of Merlin. He's like my alter-ego."

D&D's traditional player community is often labelled as "nerdy," but that doesn't faze Duncan.

"If playing D&D and dressing up in my purple sorcerors hat, velvet cape and magic wand is nerdy, call me a nerd. Though I'd prefer you called me Merlin," he grinned.

His obsession with Merlin and the black arts led to Duncan's quiet feud with the NBA this off-season. Wanting the back of his jersey to read, "Merlin," instead of his last name, Duncan sought the help of the NBA Players Association. Citing the NBA uniform code, Duncan's unusual request was rejected by the league.

Though the NBA and Duncan officially have no comment on the situation, sources close to Duncan say that this is not a closed matter.

TIM DUNCAN!
07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
November 1997.

Duncan's unusual hobby and more unusual request

Tim Duncan has a couple of obsessions not usually equated with today's hip-hop NBA: Renaissance fairs, samurai swords, and most importantly, Dungeons and Dragons. Known as "D&D" among afficinados, the fantasy role playing game engages players' imaginations as they trek through the imaginary world of GreyHawk. Along the way, players encounter friendly and hostile dragons, elves and a variety of otherworldly beings.

"It's a great escape from the rigors of the NBA," Duncan said while rolling his lucky 20 sided die while casting a spell of invisibility.

"I got hooked on D&D at Wake (Forest). Me and some buddies would play for hours at a time until I had to go to practice. My character is a 13th level lawful evil sorceror named Merlin (after the magician from Arthurian legend). Today, he has 98 hit points and an armor class of 2. My Charisma is 21. That's perfect."

The game's jargon aside, Duncan has made a more permanent commitment to his love of D&D.

"I have a tattoo of Merlin. He's like my alter-ego."

D&D's traditional player community is often labelled as "nerdy," but that doesn't faze Duncan.

"If playing D&D and dressing up in my purple sorcerors hat, velvet cape and magic wand is nerdy, call me a nerd. Though I'd prefer you called me Merlin," he grinned.

His obsession with Merlin and the black arts led to Duncan's quiet feud with the NBA this off-season. Wanting the back of his jersey to read, "Merlin," instead of his last name, Duncan sought the help of the NBA Players Association. Citing the NBA uniform code, Duncan's unusual request was rejected by the league.

Though the NBA and Duncan officially have no comment on the situation, sources close to Duncan say that this is not a closed matter.

This has to be a fake article. Right? Call me a naive Houston Rockets fan but if it's real then I have a new best friend.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
It's real. From the Express-News, November 30, 1997. The Merlin tattoo is true too.

nikegirl
07-18-2009, 09:01 PM
This topic is worse then the trade ginobili threads.
Then don't open it.

nikegirl
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM

This is exactly what I've been trying to say.:toast
And it's not ridiculous considering this is Duncan we're talking about.

sabar
07-18-2009, 11:40 PM
He's a Forward/Center

DAF86
07-18-2009, 11:51 PM
He's a Forward/Center

He's a bigman.

Instead of guards, forwards and centers the NBA should start categorizing players among Point guards, wings and bigmen.

Spursmania
07-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Duncan can be called whatever he damn wants. He's Duncan.:toast

RodNIc91
07-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I got to watch him for his entire pregame workout amd got his autograph as he left the court when he was done.

My story, and more pics, is here:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090305_myfirstspursgame.html

Sharing it with ST made it even sweeter.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116579

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118712

How awesome was this? I became a spur fan mostly because of Tony, but Ive grown so much on Timmy! The best PF ever

How is it that you know so much about him?

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Duncan can be called whatever he damn wants. He's Duncan.:toast

Exactly.:toast

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 01:18 AM
How awesome was this? I became a spur fan mostly because of Tony, but Ive grown so much on Timmy! The best PF ever

She's like the biggest Duncan fan ever. And that's saying a lot coming from me as most of my friends know me as the biggest Duncan fan where I'm from. :toast

duncan228
07-19-2009, 01:21 AM
How awesome was this?

It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

Duncan is my specialty. I was in Rhode Island when he was considering Providence College before he decided to go to Wake. He was on my radar early. I don't miss much on him. I respect who he is on, and off, the court.

I'm going to take the opportunity to pimp:

For anyone that doesn't know, or hasn't joined: SpursTalk has a Duncan Mini Forum. We're all Duncan, all the time. Click on 'Mini Forums' in the navigation bar at the top of the page and join us. :)

SamoanTD
07-19-2009, 01:34 AM
this thread:deadhorse

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 01:41 AM
this thread:deadhorse
If you don't like it don't open it. And this is not a debate on whether he is a center or pf (in reference to the beating the dead horse emoticon). It's really trying to make people just respect his preference.

duncan228
07-19-2009, 01:45 AM
She's like the biggest Duncan fan ever. And that's saying a lot coming from me as most of my friends know me as the biggest Duncan fan where I'm from. :toast

From one Duncan fan to another. :toast

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 02:04 AM
From one Duncan fan to another. :toast
:toast
Also, can I just say what a great piece that article you wrote about your first Spurs and Tim Duncan encounter is? Congrats!

It's also my ultimate dream to get to see him play but I don't think it's ever gonna happen as I am from somewhere else. Hoping to come visit the US and watch him before he retires but seems impossible at the moment. I'll just watch him on youtube and on TV. :lol

SamoanTD
07-19-2009, 02:09 AM
If you don't like it don't open it. And this is not a debate on whether he is a center or pf (in reference to the beating the dead horse emoticon). It's really trying to make people just respect his preference. i can post watever i want 2 and to the beating of the dead horse emotion this thread has really been dne like litrally thousands of times and i get wat u mean bt i think everyone already respects mr.duncans wishes

slick'81
07-19-2009, 02:13 AM
what mr.duncan wants he gets.

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 02:36 AM
i can post watever i want 2 and to the beating of the dead horse emotion this thread has really been dne like litrally thousands of times and i get wat u mean bt i think everyone already respects mr.duncans wishes

Nope, what's been done numerous times is the c/pf argument. So this is a first in which I ask people to be united in respecting Duncan's wishes. If you look at some of the threads, people are always divided where some call him a center and some call him a power forward. Just wanted to make that clear.
:flag:

duncan228
07-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Also, can I just say what a great piece that article you wrote about your first Spurs and Tim Duncan encounter is? Congrats!

Thanks. It was a special night.

It's also my ultimate dream to get to see him play but I don't think it's ever gonna happen as I am from somewhere else.

Hold on to your dream. I never thought I'd get to see him play. Things can happen.

SamoanTD
07-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Nope, what's been done numerous times is the c/pf argument. So this is a first in which I ask people to be united in respecting Duncan's wishes. If you look at some of the threads, people are always divided where some call him a center and some call him a power forward. Just wanted to make that clear.
:flag: i got u bt think even if they argue about that theres no doubt that he is the greatest PF ever and everyone respects that and respects him cuz he is da GREATEST

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Agreed. That's why I want everyone to be on the same page. We all have to agree he's a PF in order to call him the greatest PF right?

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 03:47 AM
He wins the title in 2010, and he'll be known as the undisputed "greatest player of his generation"..much better than "greatest PF" IMO, since he isn't a pure PF..

nikegirl
07-19-2009, 04:22 AM
He wins the title in 2010, and he'll be known as the undisputed "greatest player of his generation"..much better than "greatest PF" IMO, since he isn't a pure PF..

I dunno, for me it seems like these two are equal in terms of magnitude. greatest pf of ALL TIME is as great as greatest player of HIS GENERATION for me.. get what i mean? but i do respect your opinion.

rayray2k8
07-19-2009, 12:39 PM
What the fuck? He's always been a PF, you dumbass.

45 bank shot
07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
PF: the greatest
C: one of the greatests

Solid D
07-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Ernie Banks, known affectionately as "Mr. Cub", has been widely considered for years to be the "greatest power-hitting shortship" in Major League Baseball. Banks played for the Chicago Cubs for 19 years, from 1953-1971 but he played the position of shortstop for less than half of those years, moving to first base in 1961. Yet, Ernie Banks is still remembered as one of the greatest power-hitting shortstops of all time with over 500 home runs.

There is nothing wrong with calling someone the best at their position, even though they played multiple positions during their careers in sports.

ploto
07-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I have no problem with calling Duncan the Greatest PF of all time for the time during which he has actually played PF.

If he wants to blame anyone for being called a center, let him blame RC for assembling the team and Pop for choosing the line-up that has clearly had him playing more as a center and less as a power forward in recent years.

It went too far for me when the Spurs whined and got him moved to PF on the NBA All Star ballot so he would not have to compete with Yao Ming for a starting spot. Before that, it was simply semantics.

booonkers
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
I have no problem with calling Duncan the Greatest PF of all time for the time during which he has actually played PF.

If he wants to blame anyone for being called a center, let him blame RC for assembling the team and Pop for choosing the line-up that has clearly had him playing more as a center and less as a power forward in recent years.

It went too far for me when the Spurs whined and got him moved to PF on the NBA All Star ballot so he would not have to compete with Yao Ming for a starting spot. Before that, it was simply semantics.

Yeah, although before recently, the FO did get centers to play alongside him (not so good though). Here's to hoping Mahinmi stays healthy and produces :downspin:

About the All-Star ballot, I think primarily the reason they complained is because they've clearly stated he's a PF and has always been profiled as one then all of sudden he was put in the Center ballot. Part of it is Yao surely getting the starting spot but if you think about it, it wasn't fair for Duncan as well it's like the committee was trying to get him out of the forward ballot so that other forwards can potentially start.