PDA

View Full Version : Question: Tim Duncan and Matt Bonner

Ace9
07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
This may be a stupid question but.... Matt Bonner was our starting center last year. Then how could Tim Duncan have been the center? I'm just a little confused on this, seeing as though I thought Timmy was still in the PF position. Also, everyone hates on Matt Bonner saying that he should not have been the starting center, which only confuses me further.

Could someone clear this up for me? Thanks. :lol

DPG21920
07-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Because when on the floor, even though someone is listed as a position, they often do not play like it. PF/C are interchangeable with Duncan.

anakha
07-18-2009, 10:55 AM
There's difference between 'listed as' center and 'plays' center.

Ace9
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
That makes sense, kind of.Thanks.

all_heart
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Timmy was a PF last year. To me Bonner is not a traditional C, at least not on a Spurs team. A traditional C for the Spurs is one that plays strong D, rebounds.. etc.. ala D. Rob (not Bonner that looks like some sort of practice dummy out there.) It wasn't really his fault, he shouldn't have never been put in that position... All he really does for you is stretch the floor allowing TD to operate down low, but sometimes that isn't enough or just doesn't go as planned.. obviously. Timmy needs to avoid the double team next year and go start his move quicker. This coming year we should have more threats out there on the floor both in scoring and rebounding. If it works out we will be dangerous!

What Gasol did for the Lakers (besides being a good player for them) was allow Kobe to operate out there on the floor. That's the same effect our new guys will have to have for TP, Manu, and TD (RJ too).