PDA

View Full Version : Duncan and Bill Russell talk?

Crazymaddopeyo
07-18-2009, 11:25 AM
I remember seeing a little part of it online, but was there more to see and if so where can it be viewed?

bigdog
07-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe the 2nd half of it was supposed to be aired during the Finals, but the NBA pulled it and decided to show some other bullshit.

Solid D
07-18-2009, 11:35 AM
4YUWC7Jd2_c
This one is brief...but really cool.

raspsa
07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
My two favorite players of all time.. it will be a great shame if this isn't shown in its entirety at some point in the future. Its great seeing TD being so communicative and showing genuine emotion.. and Russell, a real multi-faceted personality and all-time great. Both very proud men yet humble in their achievements. What a great evening it would be to just listen to Russell's stories, and not necessarily limited to basketball. Russell is the world's biggest trekie so he's a nerd just like Timmy.

YODA
07-18-2009, 12:08 PM
I believe the 2nd half of it was supposed to be aired during the Finals, but the NBA pulled it and decided to show some other bullshit.

So there is videa out there of it somewhere???

ffadicted
07-18-2009, 12:08 PM
This NBA wide Bill Russell obsession has gotten old

duncan228
07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
The piece Solid D posted is all they've released. They shot the interview in San Antonio in March. There were a few teases that we would see it all, it was never aired. I'm watching for it, and Spurs.com will have it if/when it airs.

There are pics of Duncan with Russell from the day it was shot in the Duncan Mini Forum. They're back several pages.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
March 21, San Antonio.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/Russelltemp4.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/Russelltemp.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/Russelltemp2.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/Russelltemp3.jpg

Vic Petro
07-18-2009, 01:05 PM

I disagree...when players transcend the game, you have to honor them while they are still alive. Posthumous glory is nice but Russell derserves all the credit and praise he receives. The younger generations coming up can learn a lot about the game by reading up on Bill Russell.

xtremesteven33
07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/zvjhi.jpg

Duncan looks stoned....haha

SonOfAGun
07-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Russell makes you feel happy for some reason. Probably because the KG's and Amare's have taken over this sport.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Everyone should email the NBA and get them to air it already.

Solid D
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Well, lots of obsessions get old for people. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Brett Favre, Wayne Gretzky, etc. Lots of the greats have had obsessive-like coverage and rememberances by their fans.

Bill is much like Willie, Babe, Michael, Wayne and Tiger. Hyping a player can get old for some people but it doesn't mean their contributions and high level of competitive play were not worthy of honor.

Having seen Bill and Timmy playing in person in their eras is special for me and I assure you, both are worthy of the highest of honors.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Duncan and Bill Russell talk? Yes, they do.

bishopospurs
07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I disagree...when players transcend the game, you have to honor them while they are still alive. Posthumous glory is nice but Russell derserves all the credit and praise he receives. The younger generations coming up can learn a lot about the game by reading up on Bill Russell.

I absolutely agree with you, well said

Sec24Row7
07-18-2009, 02:04 PM
4yuwc7jd2_c
this one is brief...but really cool.

w o w !!!

bishopospurs
07-18-2009, 02:08 PM
4YUWC7Jd2_c
This one is brief...but really cool.

Did I misunderstand what Bill Russell said in this conversation or did he tell Tim that he is Bill's favorite athlete and would ask him to be a pallbearer at his funeral?

duncan228
07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Did I misunderstand what Bill Russell said in this conversation or did he tell Tim that he is Bill's favorite athlete and would ask him to be a pallbearer at his funeral?

He said Duncan is his favorite athlete, but I don't think he asked him to be a pallbearer. He used the Jackie Robinson story to lead into telling Duncan how he felt about him.

Tully365
07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
To me, Bill Russell is similar to John Wooden in this way: if you take away all of their accomplishments on the basketball court, you are still left with incredibly intelligent & admirable men of great character, conviction, and courage. This is the type of character that an entire program can be built around, and that is also the reason (IMO) why the Spurs have been so successful in the Tim Duncan era, and the primary reason I root for them.

Sec24Row7
07-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Say what you want... but when MY favorite basketball player of all time sits in the chair next to him in unbridled childlike awe... it makes me reflect on how great the man is.

Chillen
07-18-2009, 05:36 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/zvjhi.jpg

Duncan looks stoned....haha

It looks more like father and son hanging out. You can tell that Timmy D has such huge respect and admiration for Bill Russell, he is a true NBA legend.

Mark in Austin
07-18-2009, 05:56 PM
^^

If there's a version of that picture that is signed by both men, it would be one of only a handful of sports memorabilia items I would want to own.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
If there's a version of that picture that is signed by both men, it would be one of only a handful of sports memorabilia items I would want to own.

Wouldn't that be nice.

I have a couple more from that day if anyone's interested, they're all similar to the ones I posted.

Mark in Austin
07-18-2009, 06:05 PM

you're showing your age with that comment. Russell deserves as much respect as any basketball player in history. The man is a giant for what he accomplished on the court, and a hero for what he accomplished off the court.

I'm sure after hearing that Russell considers Tim his favorite athlete, Tim felt more honored than after receiving any MVP award or all-star game selection. I know I would.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm sure after hearing that Russell considers Tim his favorite athlete, Tim felt more honored than after receiving any MVP award or all-star game selection.

I think it was a big honor for Duncan. It's pretty obvious how much respect Duncan has for him, you can see it even in the short piece we've been shown.

Duncan said he wants another Finals MVP trophy with Russell's name on it, the three he has don't have it.

Libri
07-18-2009, 06:29 PM
J6MAkzsMY2A

This is the original sneak peak. At the end it said that it would air in its entirety April 5, 2009, during the Spurs/Cavaliers game. I can't remember what they showed but it was probably something about Lebron.

manu_maniac
07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
J6MAkzsMY2A

This is the original sneak peak. At the end it said that it would air in its entirety April 5, 2009, during the Spurs/Cavaliers game. I can't remember what they showed but it was probably something about Lebron.

If I remember correctly, it was worse than a Lebron video and was instead about Mo Williams. :wtf

raspsa
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
IIRC an article a couple of years past, the City of Boston surprisingly has never even dedicated a statue or named a street or a bridge for BR. I wonder if that has changed and if not, what does it say about the city that they fail to honor their greatest athlete?
Also, has BR ever forgiven ESPN for its mistake in one of its stories decaes ago? Does he still refuse to appear on ESPN?

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2009, 06:40 PM
If Tim threw his teammates under the bus and made a video about DeJuan Blair, asking for him to be traded..and then refused to shake hands with the opposing team after they beat his team in a series, followed by getting dunked on at his camp and having Adidas confiscate the tape..

they would have shown the entire interview on ESPN, and probably made it longer..

Libri
07-18-2009, 06:59 PM
If I remember correctly, it was worse than a Lebron video and was instead about Mo Williams. :wtf

Now that sucks!

Jahivah
07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Bill Russell is the epitome of competitive greatness and sportsmanship. All he did was win. He also faced alot of racism and hatred during his time in Boston. Unlike many of us (myself included) he handled it in the way that he does everything else. A cool head.

duncan228
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Didn't Russell also say that Garnett was his favorite athlete?

He says he's his 'favorite player to watch' at the .54 mark.

90MtenZBABM

Slydragon
07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Also, has BR ever forgiven ESPN for its mistake in one of its stories decaes ago? Does he still refuse to appear on ESPN?

What happen?

I also wanted to see this badly and they never showed it :bang

Sean Cagney
07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I swear Tim will get that #5 this year over the Celts, I just see it!!!! I seriously tihnk he gets another one before he retires.

duncan228
07-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I seriously tihnk he gets another one before he retires.

I've always believed Duncan has more in him. And now that the organization has gotten him some needed help I think we'll see an incredibly motivated Duncan. He knows better than any of us that his window is closing. He'll bring everything he can, and if he (and the team) stays healthy I like our chances against anyone.

raspsa
07-19-2009, 04:56 AM
What happen?

I also wanted to see this badly and they never showed it :bang
I think ESPN wrote a story and got some fact wrong.. nothing major, I think it was a wrong date or some minor detail and Russell felt that they should have been more professional and checked their facts before they published.. so in his mind ESPN was an unprofessional organization..if true, he didn't suffer fools lightly.

symple19
07-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Great post:tu