PDA

View Full Version : Yao’s Absence Looms As Giant Loss For League

duncan228
07-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Yao’s absence looms as giant loss for league (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-yaorockets071809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

As soon as he bought the cash-strapped Shanghai Sharks, Yao Ming was pressured into a most defensive declaration: This wasn’t done as a retirement toy, but born of obligation to his hometown team. That’s how it goes for him now. That’s the reality of his every move. All across the world, the fears that Yao never plays basketball again are real and justified.

The Houston Rockets are counting on an innovative and complicated surgical procedure to repair the hairline fracture in his left foot. They hope it’ll ultimately create a base for his body that’ll withstand the unprecedented pounding delivered beneath his 7-foot, 6-inch frame. Nevertheless, Yao will miss next season and Houston officials operate with private doubts he’ll ever be a sturdy player again.

They won’t say this, because it does no good for Yao’s rehabilitation and the psyche of the Rockets faithful. Whatever happens, this has turned into one of the sport’s saddest stories. Yes, it’s reminiscent of Bill Walton’s saga, but Yao is a far bigger, far more important figure in basketball history. Yes, Walton could’ve been one of the most accomplished centers in history, but Yao’s powers have been truly transformative.

He changed everything for the NBA and David Stern, for China and the Far East. Together, they all conspired to use him, wear him out and ultimately toss him aside. For years, the Rockets played him too many minutes, and China played him too many summers for the national team.

As the global game goes, he’s basketball’s most important player since Michael Jordan. He’s the reason the world’s most populated country grew smitten with the NBA. He’s the reason that the NBA makes hundreds of millions of dollars out of the Far East, why its American players were treated like rock stars in the Beijing Olympics.

A lot of NBA players and commentators treated Yao with disdain upon his arrival, an overhyped stiff they promised to embarrass. Truth be told, there was a racial element to the criticism. Perhaps they didn’t want to believe an Asian could become an NBA star. Perhaps they feared an impending wave of Chinese 7-footers to gobble up jobs. Whatever the genesis, the criticisms of Yao pushed beyond legitimate basketball doubts and were nasty and needlessly personal.

Perhaps, there’s never been a modern athlete with the burden that belonged to Yao. For the Chinese sports machine, his birth to accomplished, athletic parents was treated like a science experiment. Brook Larmer’s magnificent book, “Operation Yao Ming,” told it all. He won the respect of his peers in the NBA. He worked relentlessly, and became an unstoppable force when his body was well. Three years ago, Yao was the NBA’s MVP until breaking his leg two months into the season.

His blessing turned out to be his curse: His deftness and mobility at 7-foot-6 could’ve been his undoing. His lower body couldn’t support the agility and crumbled beneath him. The Rockets believed they could’ve surrounded Yao with players and won multiple NBA championships.

Now, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey told Yahoo! Sports, “We feel like with Tracy [McGrady] healthy we can be a playoff team next year. Without T-Mac and Yao, we were 2-2 against the Lakers in the playoffs. One thing is for sure: We have players who will fight all season long. We sure aren’t giving up on this season.”

Morey has been too savvy of an executive to let the Rockets bottom out, and the Trevor Ariza signing could be a bargain for the next five years at $34 million. McGrady is nothing but an expiring contract now, and Yao could be remembered as the greatest what-could’ve-been story the sport’s ever seen.

Basketball has had a lot of folk heroes who never met their promise, but make no mistake about Yao Ming: He met his destiny. He brought the NBA to the world, and the world to the NBA. There are Hall of Fame players with MVP trophies and championship rings who never gave so much to the game. Yao Ming goes away for a year now, maybe more – maybe for good – but his legacy is untouchable.

baseline bum
07-18-2009, 03:46 PM
'Eh, what can you expect? Anything made in China breaks easily.

Bob Lanier
07-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Like the American economy?

Amarelooms
07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
There is only one person that looms genius and that's Amare :elephant

Dunc n Dave
07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
The NBA better keep Yao COMPLETELY off the ASG ballot, or else he'll still get voted as the starter without ever playing a game this season.

This should allow Duncan to keep his streak as a starter alive, since he'll probably be a center this year, with guys like McDyess and Blair playing alongside him.

Roxsfan
07-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I love Men.

fixed

baseline bum
07-18-2009, 05:10 PM
fixed

Why project your sexual desires on to me? And fuck China.

Roxsfan
07-18-2009, 05:12 PM
I love wearing women's clothes.

fixed

baseline bum
07-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Once again, get your mind off of Montrose, little puto.

Roxsfan
07-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Once again, get your mind off of Montrose, little puto.

I love wearing lipstick.

calm down hoto. Get on your hotocycleta and go for a ride.

http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Corbis_RF/p_2481076.jpg

btw, I'm just messing with you bro. Don't be so sensitive.

baseline bum
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
calm down hoto. Get on your hotocycleta and go for a ride.

http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Corbis_RF/p_2481076.jpg

btw, I'm just messing with you bro. Don't be so sensitive.

It's not hoto, you fucking dumbass joto. :lol

Roxsfan
07-18-2009, 05:33 PM
It's not hoto, you fucking dumbass joto. :lol

Oh, snap. OWNED.

:wgaf:

duncan228
07-18-2009, 06:05 PM
The NBA better keep Yao COMPLETELY off the ASG ballot, or else he'll still get voted as the starter without ever playing a game this season.

This should allow Duncan to keep his streak as a starter alive, since he'll probably be a center this year, with guys like McDyess and Blair playing alongside him.

Duncan will stay listed as a Power Forward for the All-Star game, no matter what he does on the court. He's always listed as the Power Forward for Spurs games. When the league tried to list him as a Center on the ballot for the '08 All-Star game it was changed. He'll be listed as a Power Forward this year, and I'm sure his starting streak will stay alive.

Indazone
07-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Just replace Yao with the next best starting Center...uhhh who is that exactly???? Oden?? Bynum??? :lmao

BadOdor
07-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Lol, no one cares about the communist.

Chieflion
07-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Lol, no one cares about the communist.
Apparently, those Communists you were talking about were helping USA's economy to recover.

BadOdor
07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Apparently, those Communists you were talking about were helping USA's economy to recover.

They planning on takin' over. Be prepared for the overlord masters. Yao will be the king-emperor.

Dunc n Dave
07-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Duncan will stay listed as a Power Forward for the All-Star game, no matter what he does on the court. He's always listed as the Power Forward for Spurs games. When the league tried to list him as a Center on the ballot for the '08 All-Star game it was changed. He'll be listed as a Power Forward this year, and I'm sure his starting streak will stay alive.

That was done for A.S. votes in the past. Everyone knew Duncan was the real center last year, despite what the lineup card said. Pop may change his mind this year though. No Yao @ center = no competition for votes.

Reasons to Play Center:
-ZERO competition for AS ballot (whose gonna beat him out this year, Bynum??? Griffin??? Oden???)
- He will defend the other teams center each night
-He will be the primary low post option each night.
-PF will be tougher to win if his stats go down because of fewer minutes (Jefferson taking scoring load, McDyess and Blair taking rebounds)

Top PFs in West competing fro ASG votes:
Gasol (LA)
Jefferson (Min)
Amare (Phx)
Dirk (Dal)
D.West (NO)
----------------
Aldridge (Por)
Boozer (Utah)
Nene (Den)

If the Spurs start him at Center, he's a shoe-in for ASG starter. No so much if his stats take a hit this year at PF. I'm just sayin...

duncan228
07-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I understand your thinking, but I stand by Duncan staying listed as the Power Forward for Spurs games this season, as well as the All-Star ballot. I don't see Pop changing it. It has nothing to do with what Duncan actually does on the court.

Thompson
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
What would happen if Duncan switched to center because they didn't have to worry about Yao this year, and then the year after had to switch back to power forward because Yao recovered to some degree?

If Yao was the only thing keeping Duncan from being listed at center, it would still be a bad idea to switch only to have to switch back. It's a little too transparent. Besides, even if Duncan is effectively the center, what difference does it make what we call him?

duncan228
07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Duncan came into the league as a Power Forward and it's what he's always wanted to be called. He feels it's his more natural position.

This debate comes up a lot, most recently today in the Spurs Forum. I think timvp summed it up the best.

The only two things he cares about is winning championships and being labeled a power forward. Considering that he might be the lowest maintenance superstar in sporting history, I think the least Spurs fans can do is support his lone wish.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131546

Danny.Zhu
07-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Just replace Yao with the next best starting Center...uhhh who is that exactly???? Oden?? Bynum??? :lmao

Gasol can also play C I think.

iggypop123
07-18-2009, 10:32 PM
if he is a pf. he is the best ever. if he is a C he might not even be top 5 . smart move

Dunc n Dave
07-18-2009, 10:48 PM
if he is a pf. he is the best ever. if he is a C he might not even be top 5 . smart move

Point taken iggypop123 and duncan228...

The argument of being the greatest power forward of all time gets a little muddy if he becomes a center for the last few years of his career.

OK, so let the man keep his PF label if that's what he wants... fine by me...

KidCongo
07-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Amare got 1st Team C a couple of years ago. He can be listed as a C now Shaq is gone.

spursfan1000
07-19-2009, 07:30 AM
:repost:

Spurtacus
07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I hope this isn't the last we've seen of Yao. He's one of the few non Spurs players that I respect on and off the court.

iggypop123
07-19-2009, 10:19 PM
even if he pulled a paul pierce he is still a great player and deserves to play at a high level again