PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Summer League Notes Part IV: The James Gist Saga

duncan228
07-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Summer League Notes Part IV: The James Gist Saga (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/summer-league-n-1.html)
By Jeff McDonald

LAS VEGAS -- The Spurs' summer league juggernaut finally went down tonight, losing to previously winless Portland 91-74 in the late game at Cox Pavilion. Those of us watching from a Spurs-centic point of view didn't observe much we didn't already know.

Yes, DeJuan Blair is a beast. The rookie had another summer double-double, 16 points and 11 rebounds, and would have scored more if he had been more efficient around the basket. Malik Hairston, who has been the Spurs' most accurate perimeter scorer in the summer, again played well in limited minutes. George Hill was OK; Ian Mahinmi was OK.

The play that stood out to your intrepid scribe at courtside, however, didn't show up in the Spurs' half of the box score. In fact, it resulted in two points for the Trail Blazers.

Midway through the fourth quarter, with the Blazers ahead by 20 and most players already on cruise control, Portland's Pooh Jeter went slicing along the lane. He seemed to have a clear path to the basket. James Gist had other ideas.

The 6-foot-9 forward came barreling from one side of the lane to the other to emphatically goaltend the shot, landing on his back and sliding a foot or so across the floor.

It was a classic hustle play, at the point in the game when hustle had long since left the building. Gist has no give-up in him. And it is the kind of thing that still makes him an attractive option for the Spurs, even after a summer league that, statistically speaking, wasn't overly impressive.

"I always feel like I can do something more," Gist said. "The first three games, it was not where I wanted to be. I feel like I've got two games left, I wanted to leave it all on the court."

Gist had eight points and five rebounds against Portland. Though he worked hard last season in Italy expanding his range, he was 0-for-4 from the 3-point line. While bigger numbers would be nice, they aren't what is going to put Gist in a Spurs uniform in the season to come.

What Gist has that separated him from similiar players at summer league is an extra gear on his motor. He's kind of Ginobili-esque in that department. Playing harder than everyone else is his NBA skill.

The Spurs have 14 players under contract heading toward training camp, with room for one more. Gist's goal is to force the Spurs into handing the spot to him, even though they already have seven big men under contract. If he doesn't earn it, it won't be for lack of trying.

"I've just got to keep pushing," Gist said. "You never know what's ahead for you. You have to make sure you put yourself in the best position when the opportunity comes. That's probably the biggest thing in my mind."

PM5K
07-19-2009, 12:22 AM
So can someone less lazy than me list the fourteen players under contract?

timvp
07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
The Spurs have 14 players under contract heading toward training camp, with room for one more. Gist's goal is to force the Spurs into handing the spot to him, even though they already have seven big men under contract.

Duncan, McDyess, Blair, Mahinmi, Bonner and Haislip. By my count that's six.

AFBlue
07-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Gist is definitely the biggest loser in the numbers game, but with his work ethic, endless motor and god-given athleticism he's still a very attractive prospect for the Spurs. And though I'd have liked to see more balls go through the hoop, I'd say he's progressing as far as understanding his role in the system.

I would love to see Gist playing for the Toros this year with a chance to make the squad full-time next season.

ffadicted
07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Blair and Haislip made Gist's chances of making the team slim, and his summer league play brought them down to none.

Danny.Zhu
07-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Unless they trade Bonner and Finley for a backup SF.

crc21209
07-19-2009, 02:36 AM
So who are the 14 players under contract? Lets see:

Duncan
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Dice
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi
Mason
Hill
Blair
Hairston
Haislip

Who am I missing? Is it Marcus Williams?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2009, 02:37 AM

You forgot Finley.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2009, 03:46 AM
:lol

fleggy2k2
07-19-2009, 07:42 AM

blair's so beast, he counts as two roster spots :downspin:

spurs opsman
07-19-2009, 08:02 AM
So who are the 14 players under contract? Lets see:

Duncan
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Dice
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi
Mason
Hill
Blair
Hairston
Haislip

Who am I missing? Is it Marcus Williams?
Marcus Williams is the one missing.

45 bank shot
07-19-2009, 08:51 AM
c'mon cut Williams, and give the spot to the Gist

coyotes_geek
07-19-2009, 09:35 AM

Why? Gist hasn't done anything to show that he's deserving of that roster spot.

DAWixard
07-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Put Gist on the Toros and let him develop with team using the Spurs playbook. It worked for Ian, Malik and Marcus it should help Gist.

Taking it to the Hole
07-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't know if the Spurs give the roster spot to any of the summer leaguers, if they only have one left. I haven't seen anything out of McClinton and Gist to warrant that the Spurs would sign either of them just because the spot is available. We are assuming since there is a spot, that the Spurs will use it to sign someone on their summer league team, but they may just leave that spot open.

Gino2882
07-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't know if the Spurs give the roster spot to any of the summer leaguers, if they only have one left. I haven't seen anything out of McClinton and Gist to warrant that the Spurs would sign either of them just because the spot is available. We are assuming since there is a spot, that the Spurs will use it to sign someone on their summer league team, but they may just leave that spot open.

However, that final spot should be used to keep one of the youngsters with potential. Gist or McClinton. I would prefer to keep Gist, and let him play in Austin all year.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
He looked better to me after watching last night's game, his work inside has potential..his defense has been horrible though..

coyotes_geek
07-19-2009, 01:54 PM
However, that final spot should be used to keep one of the youngsters with potential. Gist or McClinton. I would prefer to keep Gist, and let him play in Austin all year.

The Spurs are in a win-now mode. If Gist or McClinton aren't going to contribute this year and the Spurs can still control their rights by having them play overseas then there's no reason to waste a roster spot on them. Between Hill, Blair, Mahinmi, Hairston and Williams the Spurs have enough youngsters with potential to deal with. Better to use that last roster spot on a veteran.

EricB
07-19-2009, 02:30 PM

What the hell has Gist done to warrant a spot?

Taking it to the Hole
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I see Gist going back overseas and I really don't see McClinton making the team this year. I am starting to believe that Gist is too much of a "tweener" to be able to effectively play the 3. I see Gist as a younger version of Haislip that with time will improve his game to be an effective role player but he isn't ready for the NBA right now.

whottt
07-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Gist should get a spot as a big small ball 4. The guy showed what he could do last season and his athletecism is NBA ready...his struggles this year are from attempting to make the Spurs roster based on the weakest aspect of his game.

Cut the kid some slack...he's got something to contribute whether he sucks on the perimeter or not.

Players with little or no perimeter game don't turn into NBA All Star Small Forwards after 1 season in Europe. It's really not that complicated of a situation.

GSH
07-19-2009, 05:42 PM
There's more than just a spot at the end of the bench at stake. With the Spurs being in the lux tax, a first-year player is going to cost about $900K. Any player who has been on a team during the regular season, even for 1 game, is considered a second year player and will cost about $1.5 Million.

If I was paying the bills, and there was a player that I didn't expect to see on the court, I'd have a hell of a time pulling the trigger on a contract. Especially for a player who hasn't shown me anything in summer league. If one of those guys does get a contract, it will be a real vote of confidence that the team thinks they are better than how they have performed.

BackHome
07-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I think Williams and Harriston will both be on the Spurs roster and Gist will be the one player assigned to the Toros. I think McClinton is going to have to play in Europe and will see how that goes......

mookie2001
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
So can someone less lazy than me list the fourteen players under contract?
of course spurstalk posters love to list the roster

its their main hobby, besides lineups

George.W.Bush
07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
The gist of it is, Gist is superman.

50 cent
07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Gist sucks and is not making this team.