PDA

View Full Version : Did Odom inspire the Haislip signing?

Interrohater
07-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm curious as to what you guys think about this. Is the FO trying to get us our own Lamar Odom? These guys are pretty similar and are ultra-athletic for their positions. They're both 6'10", 230. Last year Odom avg 29 MPG, Haislip 28 MPG. In 31 games with ACB, Haislip had a FG% of 49.6, Odom avg'd 49.2% last season. Haislip avg'd 1.1 Blocks, Odom, 1.3. And judging from the youtube vids, Haislip has pretty good handles as well.

There are diff though, Odom rebounded better with 8.2, Haislip 5.2. Haislip avg'd 16.5 ppg, Odom 11.2.

It seems like the Spurs were trying to get their own version of this immensely versatile player. We can only hope that Haislip creates the same kind of matchup nightmares that Odom does!

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Well Odom's numbers are on the NBA level, while Haislip is completely unproven..

I don't think it has anything to do with that..the FO just likes him, so they're giving him a shot..I don't think they're trying to emulate other teams, the circumstances are different from team to team, so that wouldn't work..

Darkwaters
07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Haislip seems to be the long awaited response to mobile 4's.

Odom, Dirk, David West

Sure, the possibility for him to create a similar mismatch is there. But I'm sure the front office was thinking more along the lines of containing those guys.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Haislip isn't known for his defense from what I read..

I think he was simply signed because they liked his combination of game..an athletic PF that can stretch the floor..sounds like a guy Pop would love, so it makes sense..

Ace9
07-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Inspire? Hardly. The Spurs saw a good player that filled a need and got him for the vet min. Simple.

Darkwaters
07-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Haislip isn't known for his defense from what I read..

I think he was simply signed because they liked his combination of game..an athletic PF that can stretch the floor..sounds like a guy Pop would love, so it makes sense..

You're right, hes not. But still, with his athletic gifts they might think that they can make him a passable defender on guys like that. And if his range translates to the NBA then hes obviously got a role in the offense as well.

Chief
07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Well Odom's numbers are on the NBA level, while Haislip is completely unproven..

I don't think it has anything to do with that..the FO just likes him, so they're giving him a shot..I don't think they're trying to emulate other teams, the circumstances are different from team to team, so that wouldn't work..

I agree, you canīt really compare a guyīs nba stats to someone lower league stats, itīs completely different when your in the NBA.

Bruno
07-19-2009, 04:42 PM
First, sorry to say it, but comparing Odom and Haislip is quite stupid.

One of the reason why Haislip has been signed is to defend on mobile PF. RC said it before the SL. It's not because Haislip isn't known as a defender in Europe that he can't be a good one in NBA. A lot of players have to changed their games to make it in the NBA. When Bruce was playing in France, he was a big time scorer and not a defender.

Muser
07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
No, it was to just upgrade the roster.

DAF86
07-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd give Haislip the nod before Bonner as a rotation player.

Solid D
07-19-2009, 05:00 PM
If Haislip earns meaningful minutes with the Spurs this season, other than via injury in the front-court, I will be surprised.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 06:18 PM
First, sorry to say it, but comparing Odom and Haislip is quite stupid.

One of the reason why Haislip has been signed is to defend on mobile PF. RC said it before the SL. It's not because Haislip isn't known as a defender in Europe that he can't be a good one in NBA. A lot of players have to changed their games to make it in the NBA. When Bruce was playing in France, he was a big time scorer and not a defender.

I never said he can't be a passable defender in the NBA, and I realize that the games are completely different..he still wasn't known as a defender though, so I highly doubt that was a more important reason than his offense, which is clearly the attraction that our FO would have towards him, considering the skill-set our coach likes..

Bruno
07-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I never said he can't be a passable defender in the NBA, and I realize that the games are completely different..he still wasn't known as a defender though, so I highly doubt that was a more important reason than his offense, which is clearly the attraction that our FO would have towards him, considering the skill-set our coach likes..

You should listen at what RC said about Haislip before making some guesses:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090709_buford.html

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2009, 06:32 PM
You should listen at what RC said about Haislip before making some guesses:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090709_buford.html

I've already seen that..again, I never said that they don't believe that..my point is that I'm sure they put the aspects of his offensive game ahead of his potential ability to defend the perimeter, specifically his ability to stretch the floor while being athletic..GMs and coaches always play up their players abilities in interviews..

My point is that I doubt that they signed a guy that isn't known for his defense, with their main attraction being that he could potential chase guys on the perimeter..

Bruno
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I've already seen that..again, I never said that they don't believe that..my point is that I'm sure they put the aspects of his offensive game ahead of his potential ability to defend the perimeter, specifically his ability to stretch the floor while being athletic..GMs and coaches always play up their players abilities in interviews..

My point is that I doubt that they signed a guy that isn't known for his defense, with their main attraction being that he could potential chase guys on the perimeter..

Well, I take what RC said over your guesses.

You're free to have your opinion about why Spurs sign Haislip and I fully disagree with it.

completely deck
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
inspire? Hardly. The spurs saw a good player that filled a need and got him for the vet min. Simple.

+1

DPG21920
07-19-2009, 06:45 PM
So Bruno, judging by those comments, how do you think Haislip will be used? Do you think he will be a rotational player against the "mobile 4's" R.C. spoke about? If so, how many minutes and when because the mobile 4's that R.C. seems to be referring to are all top notch offensive options/starters?

Or is it a case of "we hope" not "we are expecting".

blizz
07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I just saw a new mix on youtube....this guy looks good. I'm excited about what he can bring us.

ffadicted
07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I feel like Haislip will be our best big outside of McDyess and Duncan. Sorry Blair fans, I just have a good feeling about this guy, and I always love making risky predictions lol

Bruno
07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
So Bruno, judging by those comments, how do you think Haislip will be used? Do you think he will be a rotational player against the "mobile 4's" R.C. spoke about? If so, how many minutes and when because the mobile 4's that R.C. seems to be referring to are all top notch offensive options/starters?

Or is it a case of "we hope" not "we are expecting".

Duncan, McDyess, Blair and Bonner aren't well suited to defend players like Dirk. So Spurs best options are Haislip, Mahinmi or small ball with RJ on Dirk.

Haislip minutes will depend on his level and Mahinmi's one. If he is better than Ian at defending a player like Dirk, I can see Haislip playing about 20mpg against Mavs.

VivaPopovich
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
i'm not sure haislip is the next lamar odom yet

i still have my hopes on malik hairston

scottspurs
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
No

BackHome
07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
You know with all the PF it is going to be real difficult to get set and get comfortable for the new guys. When you look at the position...Timmy, Blair, Dice, Haisilip, Bonner, that is alot of players at one postion and offcourse understanding that PF and Center are interchangilble on our team.

The guys was a first rounder and being a big we all know that they take longer to develop ie..Ian. So he has potential and one thing that I admire is the kid didn't give up he went overseas and played in a foreign country for two years. That is a tough thing to do to leave your family and stay in a foreign country all alone shows his dedication to getting better and at least shows he has work ethic.

ejay82
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
For sure we tried to get a Rashard Lewis/Lamar Odom/Hedo Turkoglu type of player. We been needing this on our team im just mad it took so long to find one. Im also glad we got athletic i the frontcourt i got tired of seeing slow white boys like Nesterovich and Oberto getting dunked on. Overall this team is as talented as the 1999 team. We easily can go 9 deep in rotation. And i watched Haislip in college he can jump higher than Odom and is alot more physical in the the post than Odom, which means he will be great for us and should start if he out lasts Blair.

Danny.Zhu
07-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Agreed.

On the other hand, the RJ trade should be a backup solution for not getting Batum.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Haislip makes plenty of sense as a Bonner replacement. Bonner, yes, does give you a 3 point threat at the 4 spot, but otherwise he's rather limited and is a liability defensively. I will give him credit for last regular season, because without him stepping up the team would have fared worse.

Haislip gives you the prospect of an athletic 4 man who can shoot the 3, run the court, and stay with quicker, athletic bigs. We'll see if he pans out, which means that he can step out and defend perimeter oriented bigs. While the Spurs other acquisitions garner a lot of attention among Spurs fans (rightfully so), Haislip could end up being one of the biggest acquisitions this summer if he is able to defend the perimeter. That's been the Spurs' glaring weakness for some time now.

raspsa
07-19-2009, 11:08 PM
He was the closest the SPurs could come to a Horry replacement.

z0sa
07-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Haislip makes plenty of sense as a Bonner replacement. Bonner, yes, does give you a 3 point threat at the 4 spot, but otherwise he's rather limited and is a liability defensively. I will give him credit for last regular season, because without him stepping up the team would have fared worse.

Haislip gives you the prospect of an athletic 4 man who can shoot the 3, run the court, and stay with quicker, athletic bigs. We'll see if he pans out, which means that he can step out and defend perimeter oriented bigs. While the Spurs other acquisitions garner a lot of attention among Spurs fans (rightfully so), Haislip could end up being one of the biggest acquisitions this summer if he is able to defend the perimeter. That's been the Spurs' glaring weakness for some time now.

Matt Bonner + an average team D held Dirk down pretty damned well last playoffs. If Haislip buys into the system early, the Dirks and Okurs of the world could be less of a threat.

I'm more worried about improving our presence in the middle still. Ian and Blair must make waves. If they can live up to their potential, we won't have many issues with the frontcourt.

SpurCharger
07-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I think Haislip Will match up well With Dirk, David West, and Odum.... Those Guys Kill the Spurs.... I dont think Haislip Is Better then Any of those guys, But He does matchup Well with all of them.

Interrohater
07-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I think Haislip Will match up well With Dirk, David West, and Odum.... Those Guys Kill the Spurs.... I dont think Haislip Is Better then Any of those guys, But He does matchup Well with all of them.
Thats exactly my point, plain and simple. I'm not saying that we were trying to copy the Lakers, I'm saying that we needed a guy like Odom to defend a guy like Odom.

thOOdee
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
atleast he has the height...tired of seeing the likes of IME UDOKA defending the DIRKS of the nba!

kromediablo
07-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I think haislip will be the first person off the bench this year. seriously the spurs lacked so much point scoring TP and timmy ship ran aground vs the mavs.

holcs50
07-20-2009, 02:26 AM
so let me get this straight-haislip is definitely making the team???

GSH
07-20-2009, 02:52 AM
A lot of players have to changed their games to make it in the NBA. When Bruce was playing in France, he was a big time scorer and not a defender.

There's something you don't hear every day, but it's true. Bruce was known as a scorer. And he could have put up a lot more points in the NBA, playing for a different team. But playing for Pop, it's all about the defense.

I can just about guarantee you that the Spurs didn't sign Haislip for his "ability to stretch the floor". First, because he's not that damned good at it. For a big, he does reasonably well. But even shooting from the European 3-point line, his 3P% isn't high enough to be anything but a liability in the NBA. He's athletic enough to do some damage in the paint. But there's no way in hell that Pop is going to stick him outside the arc and let him jack 3's, to spread the floor.

On the other hand, he's long and he has good leaping ability. He's pretty quick, and he has a good first step and lateral quickness. Which means that he has they physical attributes to be a decent defender in the league. And he's smart enough to know that's what the Spurs expect from him.

I still think he's better suited for someone like Golden State. I think he could put up 15-16 a night, playing under Don Nelson. But the Spurs are looking for him to be a taller Trevor Ariza type of player, and not a taller Stephen Jackson. Playing for Pop, it's about the defense. We'll see whether he can handle the system or not.

HarlemHeat37
07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
I understand the point you guys are trying to make, but I really have to disagree..

I don't believe that they've signed a guy that isn't known for his defense, in the hope his defense will translate better in the NBA(it's worth mentioning that he wasn't a good defender during his NBA time either) and allow him to defend great players like Dirk and West, or even any impact player..

RC can say it all he wants, it still doesn't make any sense to me..it might turn out to be a good move, that's why they're paid the big $, but it doesn't make sense to me right now..

if that's specifically what they were looking for, there wasn't any more logical alternatives?..why not just use Gist?..

holcs50
07-20-2009, 04:52 AM
I understand the point you guys are trying to make, but I really have to disagree..

I don't believe that they've signed a guy that isn't known for his defense, in the hope his defense will translate better in the NBA(it's worth mentioning that he wasn't a good defender during his NBA time either) and allow him to defend great players like Dirk and West, or even any impact player..

RC can say it all he wants, it still doesn't make any sense to me..it might turn out to be a good move, that's why they're paid the big $, but it doesn't make sense to me right now..

if that's specifically what they were looking for, there wasn't any more logical alternatives?..why not just use Gist?..

i think they believe haislip is a much better player than gist. That's probably why

HarlemHeat37
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm sure they do, based on his all-around game in comparison..

hater
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
yup, and the Gist is our Dominique

z0sa
07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Why not use Gist? Because he's an unproven scrub at this point.

Haislip played real NBA minutes and won't be scared of the spotlight - he's here for the minimum because he wants to garner attention. Besides that, Pop is all for 2 way players now it seems. The days of having defensive stalwarts are over for us. We put great pressure on their defense, and oppositely we must play great team D to survive.

SpurCharger
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Duncan
Mcdyess
jefferson
mason
parker
ginobili
hill
finley
blair
Mahinmi
Haislip
Hairston

thats My 12 on the Roster.....
Bonner, and Marcus Williams on the Ir or practice squad......