PDA

View Full Version : Margarita speckled trout on the grill...

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
OK, I love to make up my own recipes and did a KILLER one yesterday...and keep in mind that one thing I have to deal with is a family that's not crazy about fish...even fancy and expensive restaurant fish...

This is gonna sound crazy buy I actually dreamed this recipe...I was "cooking in my sleep" when I came up with the idea...

The last few years I have used cedar planks when I grill fish with good results...

I also grow LOTS of fresh basil and mint and other herbs in pots for cooking.

First, I made the basting sauce...it was simple, but dynamite...

I took a small can of frozen margarita mix and let it thaw...it's essentially concentrated lemon and lime juice with sugar...

I added about 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil and 3/4 cup chopped fresh mint and let it sit for several hours...

I put down one layer of foil on the grill and then set two of the (already water soaked) cedar planks on the foil and rolled the edges of the foil up to the edges of the plank to make a "boat".

I lightly wiped the fish down with olive oil and gave them a liberal coating of Tonys on both sides and laid them out on the planks where they were just touching.

I turned the fire on medium (about 350 on my grill) and let it warm while I liberally basted the fillets with the margarita mop sauce (just spooned it on and spread it with the backside of the spoon)...what ran off stayed in the foil boat and steamed along with the water in the planks...but the fillets weren't sitting in the juice...

I basted several times with the margarita mop sauce and after the fillets turned "white" I poked some holes in the foil to let the juices drain off so it wouldn't steam TOO much and basted again...total cooking time was probably 30 minutes.

WOW!

It turned out awesome! The fillets were firm and flaky but still super moist...the flavor had a real zing to it...kind of a smokey lemon/lime earthy minty flavor that was knock your socks off good...

sorry no pictures...I was busy cooking but trust me guys..this is a GOOD one...

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm a renaissance Duke.

I can ride, rope, shoot, fuck, AND cook.

marini martini
07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm a renaissance Duke.

Well yeeeeehawwwwww to that, and amen brother!!!:toast

Last night in Olympia, Wa. I had fresh King Salmon with tomato caper sauce and steamed clams, Alfredo pasta, and fresh steamed vegetables bought from the produce market that day. A glass of vintage chardonnay from a local winery, and a fresh blackberry torte to end the meal.

Plus the temp. right now is 72. Have fun grillin an sweatin' at your "ranchito" by the dried up Frio, drinkin' your Shiner, baby!!!:toast

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Well yeeeeehawwwwww to that, and amen brother!!!:toast

Last night in Olympia, Wa. I had fresh King Salmon with tomato caper sauce and steamed clams, Alfredo pasta, and fresh steamed vegetables bought from the produce market that day. A glass of vintage chardonnay from a local winery, and a fresh blackberry torte to end the meal.

Plus the temp. right now is 72. Have fun grillin an sweatin' at your "ranchito" by the dried up Frio, drinkin' your Shiner, baby!!!:toast

LOL...

you are obviously living large...:toast

A toast to you darlin...:toast

I actually did yesterdays at the house...we actually had a norther come in and the temps were in the 90's. No big deal whippen out good eats on the grill.

BTW, salmon sucks unless it's smoked. Don't go all pretentious on me darlin...salmon might be cool but that shit is oily fishy tasting nasty. I don't care if that oil is supposed to be good for you.

Have a great time! :toast

marini martini
07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I am:toast

And it wasn't:toast

See ya when I get back, and BTW my BD is Thurs., we can celebrate when I get back:toast..........if I get back!!!:lmao

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I am:toast

And it wasn't:toast

See ya when I get back, and BTW my BD is Thurs., we can celebrate when I get back..........if I get back!!!:lmao

hmmmmm...*putting Thursday on my calendar*

Maybe lunch with you and Mrsmaalox?

marini martini
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
hmmmmm...*putting Thursday on my calendar*

Maybe lunch with you and Mrsmaalox?

Wow!!!! I can hardly wait!!! You can watch while we "talk"!!!:toast

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

mrsmaalox
07-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Wow!!!! I can hardly wait!!! You can watch while we "talk"!!!:toast

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

What? We're having Cowboy for lunch? :hungry:

mrsmaalox
07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Where did you eat in Olympia? Did you actually get the stuff at the Farmer's Market there;
that's the best one I've been to. Funny I had salmon last night too---took a little road trip up to Dallas. Don't listen to CC, alder planked salmon is muuuuuch better than smoked. ;)

07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Foil under the plank? That's interesting. Did the plank smoke up?

nacho
07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
:ttiwwp:

thispego
07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
dude, no pics? this recipe thread fails.

tlongII
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a nice recipe, but I wouldn't go for the olive oil. Olive oil sucks ass.

marini martini
07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Where did you eat in Olympia? Did you actually get the stuff at the Farmer's Market there;
that's the best one I've been to. Funny I had salmon last night too---took a little road trip up to Dallas. Don't listen to CC, alder planked salmon is muuuuuch better than smoked. ;)

LMAO.............Don't worry, I ain't listening!!! It was a place called Gardner's. Looks like a dump on the out side, but inside was casual, earthy, meticulously neat and clean. No linen table cloths, one table off to the side with a partitioned sheer curtain for a special romantic event ie. proposal, anniversary, etc. Incredible wine and beer selections. Just a few blocks from the f.m. IMO the Chef was a genius. Very creative and artistic. Prolly alot like CC, but not horsey smellin!!!:lmao

mrsmaalox
07-20-2009, 01:30 AM
:lol Not horsey smellin!!

Summers
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm going to try this recipe!

mrsmaalox
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM
It turned out awesome! The fillets were firm and flaky but still super moist...the flavor had a real zing to it...kind of a smokey lemon/lime earthy minty flavor that was knock your socks off good...

I don't know CC, I have a rather basic palate and this sounds like too many flavors to deal with at once. Did it taste like trout at all?

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't know CC, I have a rather basic palate and this sounds like too many flavors to deal with at once. Did it taste like trout at all?

each to his own...I like big bold cooking and building multiple levels of flavor into dishes...with this one you get the smoky citrus taste initially then the fish taste and texture with the basil/mint kind of rounding out the aftertaste.

BacktoBasics
07-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Fish is one area that I typically neglect. I grill shrimp and lobster tails but I've failed to capitalize on fish.

This might serve as some motivation to try and put out something different.

CosmicCowboy
07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Fish is one area that I typically neglect. I grill shrimp and lobster tails but I've failed to capitalize on fish.

This might serve as some motivation to try and put out something different.

You should...living at the coast you have access to cheap fresh fish all the time...

Sportcamper
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I can ride a bicycle, shoot & cook…Not very good at that other stuff…

Fpoonsie
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm a renaissance Duke.

CC and DarkReign should have some kinda alpha-male showdown.

Winner gets a set of new steak knives and a gift card to Lowes.

mrsmaalox
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
CC and DarkReign should have some kinda alpha-male showdown.

Winner gets a set of new steak knives and a gift card to Lowes.

And a free consultation with Back-to-Basics :tu

Fpoonsie
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
And a free consultation with Back-to-Basics :tu

:toast

Outta curiosity, though, who's footing tha bill for B2B's medical expenses when he fails to follow his own advice and forgets to "omit" while giving some "constructive criticism"?