PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: 'If We Don't Win, I Should Be Fired'

jdev82
07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes the moves the team has made so far this offseason.

"If we don't win it, I should probably be fired," Popovich told NBA.com.

However, he added that the Spurs will only go as far a healthy Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili next season.

what do you think?
i know he's quirky, and a known press bullshitter and joker, but do you think he could be serious?

ChumpDumper
07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I think I need to see a link.

anakha
07-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Fabbs is praying to all his gods Popovich was serious.

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Spurs Coach Pop, "If we don't win it, I should probably be fired"

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't say much during the off-season, so when he does, its big news -- even when he's joking. At least, it sounds like Pop's sense of humor.

In an interview with Art Garcia from NBA.com on the Spurs recent makeover, Coach Pop quipped, “If we don't win it, I should probably be fired.”

Pop made those comments while visiting his summer league team in Las Vegas. He said he's thrilled with the off-season moves. They've reloaded through trades, the draft and free agency.

The Spurs were able to add Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, two players with plenty of post-season experience, without compromising the Tim Duncan-Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili core. The team also did well in the draft with second-round steal DeJuan Blair.

Even with all these positive additions, Pop says the Spurs will only go as far as the health of Tim and Manu allows next season.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Spurs-Coach-Pop-If-we-dont-win-it-I-should/fMAazroCy0u66BH0XV0k7A.cspx

duncan228
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Some conversation here:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131514&page=2

ducks
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes the moves the team has made so far this offseason.

However, he added that the Spurs will only go as far a healthy Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili next season.

what do you think?
i know he's quirky, and a known press bullshitter and joker, but do you think he could be serious?
I think he should quite being stupid

injuries are part of the game
and already he is giving the players an out if someone is hurt
spurs should be able to beat most teams in playoffs without one of their big 5 if they play perfectly

without duncan it will be harder then without either rj,mason, tp or manu

ChumpDumper
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the lin.

If AJ is free, sure.

DAF86
07-19-2009, 07:47 PM
So he thinks the Spurs are bigger contender than LA? I don't know about that.

whottt
07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Pop should not be fired, even if we don't win.

If he attempts to go through another Mav playoff series with Michael Finley as a bigman however, I do think it's an option that should be on the table...

phyzik
07-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Im sure it was said as tongue in cheek.

ffadicted
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Sweet, let's get Avery Johnson

mytespurs
07-19-2009, 08:05 PM

No. It sounds like Pop being Pop. He has said numerous times that the Lakers are the team to beat in the NBA.

mytespurs
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
"Even with all these positive additions, Pop says the Spurs will only go as far as the health of Tim and Manu allows next season. "

I think that one sentence says it all as far as the Spurs go in 2009-2010.

Let's hope not only that our main guys are healthy but that they hold up for the season. If that is the case, who knows.....................:king

SenorSpur
07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
"Even with all these positive additions, Pop says the Spurs will only go as far as the health of Tim and Manu allows next season. "

I think that one sentence says it all as far as the Spurs go in 2009-2010.

Let's hope not only that our main guys are healthy but that they hold up for the season. If that is the case, who knows.....................:king

A sentence, which really goes without saying, yet has been overstated many times so far this offseason.

EricB
07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Fabbs, Sequ and Aggie Hoopsfan just giggled like school girls at this thread.

Parker2112
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I guess this thread from about a month ago was credible after all.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130902&highlight=pressure

:wow

Thompson
07-19-2009, 08:50 PM

timvp
07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Spurs fans actually think Pop is being serious?

duncan228
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Coach Pop quipped, “If we don't win it, I should probably be fired.”

DAF86
07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Spurs fans actually think Pop is being serious?

Not about the "i should be fired" thing but he might actually think that the Spurs are the favorites to win it all.

timvp
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Not about the "i should be fired" thing but he might actually think that the Spurs are the favorites to win it all.

Link?

ElNono
07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

injuries are part of the game
and already he is giving the players an out if someone is hurt
spurs should be able to beat most teams in playoffs without one of their big 5 if they play perfectly

without duncan it will be harder then without either rj,mason, tp or manu

You should quite while you're ahead...

DAF86
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Link?

If a coach says that if his team doesn't win he should be fired is 'cause he thinks his team is the favorite to win it all.

timvp
07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
If a coach says that if his team doesn't win he should be fired is 'cause he thinks his team is the favorite to win it all.

He was joking. As in not being serious. You can't make conclusions from a joke. He said about a dozen times that the Lakers are the favorites in his summer league interview.

Chillen
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I like it, he is showing the fire needed to win a ring. He is putting his own ass and his players butts on the line. He is confident that this team as constructed if all healthy should win the NBA title in 2010.

I like the fire...this team needs to step it up and win it all. That is what they did when they won the championships, they had the mentality that they could beat anyone, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

The Spurs need that mentality to win a 5th NBA title in 2010.

DAF86
07-19-2009, 09:27 PM
He was joking. As in not being serious. You can't make conclusions from a joke. He said about a dozen times that the Lakers are the favorites in his summer league interview.

I know that he was joking but every joke holds some truth in it (or behind it or whatever)

In this case that truth could be that Pop thinks this Spurs team (when healthy) is the favorite to win the 'ship. Even though if he never admits it in a serious tone.

ejay82
07-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I take it as he means he will be hurt from a coaching stand point if he doesnt bring home the finals. He hasnt had this much talent ever maybe except in 1999 but i think we are more talented than that team. RC had us short handed the past few years and we have been close to winning the championship. But now we are easily top 3 best teams in the nba on paper. So i see a 62+ win season and a number 1 seed because Duncan can play less min during the season with this level of talent and be a 30 and 10 guy in the playoffs.

Russ
07-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Apart from Pop's smart ass remark, I do believe this Spurs team should win at least 60 games. (And for that matter, Pop's sense of humor sometimes perks up when he's feeling good.)

wisnub
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM

what do you think?

I agree with Pop. If everyone healthy and gel together..Spurs should win it. If not, I dont see any problems that Pop may enjoy early retirement...every time you see Popovich face its looks like he needs some vacation time

mytespurs
07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I agree with Pop. If everyone healthy and gel together..Spurs should win it. If not, I dont see any problems that Pop may enjoy early retirement...every time you see Popovich face its looks like he needs some vacation time

"Should" does not equal "will". Even if everything falls into place (Blair, the offseason free agent signings, Tim & Manu 100%) doesn't guarantee that the Spurs will win a championship. So many things can happen in a 82 game season and the playoffs......

iggypop123
07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
not good news for the popovich family

Spursfan092120
07-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Everybody settle down..dude's got a sense of humor..

jag
07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm more surprised by the amount of people that were down to stick Avery in the HC spot.

angelbelow
07-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Haha

Man In Black
07-20-2009, 03:41 AM
A) He is still the Executive Vice-President Of Basketball Operations. He'd have to fire himself to get fired.

B) Pop would never ever let his team go in thinking that "It's in the bag." Remember, his players, for the most part, are players who have gotten over themselves. Team guys who understand that they have a defined role to play and need to stick to that role.

C) "Appropriate Fear." It's a term that Pop uses on his team to get them to understand that if they don't respect the capabilities of the opponent, that could undermine their chances at victory. Instilling the Lakers as the best, gives the Spurs are target. And for whatever reason, the Spurs are better hunters than they are at being hunted.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2009, 04:49 AM

A joke it most certainly was. However, Pop doesn't make jokes like that without some message behind it.

Seventyniner
07-20-2009, 07:21 AM
A joke it most certainly was. However, Pop doesn't make jokes like that without some message behind it.

This.

It was a double-edged statement. To the players, it will come off as a joke, because Pop is sarcastic like this all the time. However, it also tells the players that Pop believes that this is a championship-level squad.

JudynTX
07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Hey Pop, how about just a fine? :lol

SpursFan0728
07-20-2009, 09:23 AM
A) He is still the Executive Vice-President Of Basketball Operations. He'd have to fire himself to get fired.

I think he is the President of Basketball Operations.

Fabbs
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
not good news for the popovich family
http://www.oliviamunn.com/wp-content/header-images/newbanner3.jpg
iggypop who is this girl?

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM

popovichs daughter :wakeup

lotr1trekkie
07-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree--- if the Big 3 are healthy- the Spurs now have the horses to go all the way. We have a nucleus of Tim, Tony, Manu, RJ, DICE. Add subs Hill, Mason, Bonner and Finley. Add young guns Blair, Hairston, Mahimni. Haislip and Williams. Pop has a much deeper, talented, althletic team than last year.

Sisk
07-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm more surprised by the amount of people that were down to stick Avery in the HC spot.

that's what i was thinking

i wouldn't want aj here coaching duncan who he played alongside with..

Lakers999
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
cya later pop....

vander
07-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Spurs vs. LA
2009 vs. 2010

SA
in 2010
Hill will be better, Pop will stop misusing him and sabotaging him
Mason will be better, Pop will stop misusing him and sabotaging him
Manu will be MUCH better, being that we didn't have him playoffs, which is all I'm concerned with here
RJ will be MUCH better than Finley/Bowen/Ime
TD will be a little better as long as his tendon thing heals and stays healed
Bonner could potentially be better, with a healthy Manu and RJ, his looks should more open, and his confidence should build after last season.
Blair should easily replace Gooden, could even be better
McDyess will be better than KT/Fabs

we will be better at almost every position in 2010

LA
in 2010
Kobe has peaked, will be the same or start to slow down
Gasol has peaked
Fisher is fading
Ariza/Artest is a wash
Odom 10 < Odom 09, attitude problem will get worse
Bynum should be better
Farmar, Walton, Brown, Vujucic: there could be some improvements here, but I doubt it.

LA will only be better if Bynum finally starts living up to the hype, other than that they will be no better than last year, perhaps worse.

iggypop123
07-20-2009, 01:54 PM

son that is Olivia Munn

roycrikside
07-20-2009, 02:45 PM

If the Lakers don't resign Odom, then I don't know how in all seriousness they could be seen as favorites. They've lost Ariza, they might lose Odom, and they added Artest, which in my mind is like losing three players. Anyone seen Artest actually play? He hasn't been an asset since he started fancying himself an offensive player back in his Sacramento days. The guy takes more awful shots than anyone in the league. Wasn't he like 4 for 20 in every game against the Lakers in the playoffs?

The more the ball is in his hands and not in Kobe's or Gasol's, the better it is for everyone else in the league.

Fabbs
07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
popovichs daughter :wakeup
She does bear a slight resemblance to Michael Finley.

iggypoop
son that is Olivia Munn
Googled her pics. This one you posted here on ST is by far her best pic.
The rest of hers i saw, meh.

rayray2k8
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
He was obviously joking, but if the spurs do come home empty handed next season, should they consider it? (Yes, I am joking)
Then again, if Bonner and Finely somehow end up with the same minutes and Mason becomes the backup PG again...
I don't think considering it, would be a bad idea because of the bonehead moves..

ChumpDumper
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
So are you joking or not?

haoxiao
05-08-2010, 06:06 AM
well

MultiTroll
10-07-2021, 02:34 PM

what do you think?

well
yep.

Btw Duncan and GNob were healthy and played 38 minutes a game as Popped got swept 0-4 by Alvin Gentry.
Porker too.

cd98
10-07-2021, 05:03 PM
Pop overrated Jefferson. But somehow Jefferson was a decent player with the Warriors and the Cavs. Not sure what that tells us.

CapitalEmm
10-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Pop overrated Jefferson. But somehow Jefferson was a decent player with the Warriors and the Cavs. Not sure what that tells us.

Jefferson would have been serviceable for us in the ball movement era, but Spurs we’re still real reliant on 4-down back then so they basically just wanted him to stand in the corner and be Bruce Bowen 2.0 with the ability to slash to the basket. Granted for how much we were paying him he should have been a good 3 point shooter and opened up the floor, but it just wasn’t a good fit.