PDA

View Full Version : Pacers won't match offer for Jarret Jack

ploto
07-20-2009, 12:35 AM
The Indiana Pacers will not match the four-year, $20-million offer the Toronto Raptors made to restricted free agent Jarrett Jack.

“It took a minute, but I was able to secure a contract for four years,” Jack said in a phone interview Sunday night. “I’m looking forward to playing with Chris (Bosh) again. It will be like our freshman year (at Georgia Tech) all over again.”

Jack said he’s scheduled to fly to Toronto Monday and there’s a press conference scheduled for Tuesday.

The decision by the Pacers not to match the offer isn’t surprising.

The Pacers are financially strapped and they want to avoid going over the league’s $69.9 million luxury tax threshold. Matching the offer would have put them in a tough position to make other roster moves.

The Pacers have already agreed to a deal with Jack’s replacement.

Guard Earl Watson, who was recently released by the Oklahoma City Thunder, will sign a one-year deal with the Pacers once he clears waivers later this week.

Jack, who will back up starting point guard Jose Calderon and also play some shooting guard, averaged a career-high 13.1 points and 4.1 assists last season.

“I wanted to be a Pacer come next season,” Jack said. “I’m indebted to coach (Jim) O’Brien for what he did for me last season. Not only him, but also (team president) Larry Bird and (general manager) David Morway. They put me in the position to play well and get a long-term contract. I’ll always be indebted to them."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090719/SPORTS04/90719014/1004/SPORTS/Pacers+won+t+match+offer+for+Jarret+Jack

iggypop123
07-20-2009, 12:58 AM
wow they are giving long term deals to questionable players.

angelbelow
07-20-2009, 01:56 AM
They're deep at the pg again though.

velik_m
07-20-2009, 02:21 AM
The Raptors are putting together a nice team. Not a contender, but should make the playoffs.

spursfan1000
07-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Don't the Pacers still have TJ Ford? They are set if so.

Chieflion
07-20-2009, 05:15 AM
They're deep at the pg again though.
No shit. Marcus Banks and Roko Ukic? No thanks. And Jack can play small ball 2.

JamStone
07-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Pretty slick of Colangelo bringing in Bosh's old college teammate onto the team. But, pro athletes these days are better with taking emotion out of business decisions... except Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza lol.

duncan228
07-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Raptors introduce newly acquired G Jack (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-raptors-jack&prov=ap&type=lgns)

The Toronto Raptors have officially introduced Jarrett Jack after signing him to a $20 million deal over four years.

The Raptors signed the restricted free agent to an offer sheet on July 13, giving the Indiana Pacers a week to match the offer. They opted not to, clearing the way for Jack to land in Toronto Tuesday as general manager Bryan Colangelo remakes the Raptors’ roster.

Toronto also acquired forward Hedo Turkoglu in a four-way deal and signed center Andrea Bargnani to a $50-million, five-year deal.

Colangelo also picked Southern California swingman DeMar DeRosan with the ninth pick in last month’s draft.

“After having a breakout season last year for Indiana, we are very pleased to have Jarrett Jack join the Toronto Raptors organization,” Colangelo said in a statement. “Jarrett’s size and strength, coupled with his playmaking instincts and ability to defend both guard positions make him a perfect addition to our roster.”

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Jack, who played with Raptors star Chris Bosh at Georgia Tech, averaged a career-high 13.1 points last season, along with 4.1 assists and 3.4 rebounds. He was acquired by the Pacers in a five-player trade a year ago.

picc84
07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
If Indy is trying to save money to go after the FA pool next year to pair someone up with Danny Danger, they are in for a big surprise. I dont see anyone wanting to play in Indiana when more appealing cities with just as much money are going to be calling. They're going to end up missing out on every big name FA and then losing Granger when his contract expires.