PDA

View Full Version : Question on Malik Hairston

spectator
07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what is your opinion on Malik's ability to contribute next season as a back-up SF, assuming Pop looks to the future and plays him before Finley.

I watched Malik in the first 2 SL games and I like his overall stats, but how good is he as a defender vs NBA caliber perimeter players?

These are his SL stats: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/players/index.jsp?player=malik_hairston

These look good enough as he'll get plenty of open looks. My only concern is his defense, which has been praised by some for the past year, but no consensus has been reached. What do you think?

Muser
07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Definitley make the squad and get decent backup minutes.

Darkwaters
07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Hes a very good prospect that will probably be able to help us soon. But I'm not sure if he'll really get much burn on this squad unless we move a guy like Finley. With Ginobili, Mason, Jefferson, Finley and Hill all getting minutes on the wing in front of him (most likely) I'm just not sure where he fits. As frustrating as it seems, he very well could be Austin bound for one more season.

angelbelow
07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I believe he is already an upgrade over Ime. His combination of youth, athleticism, potential, improvement over the past season further shows this.

spectator
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Hes a very good prospect that will probably be able to help us soon. But I'm not sure if he'll really get much burn on this squad unless we move a guy like Finley. With Ginobili, Mason, Jefferson, Finley and Hill all getting minutes on the wing in front of him (most likely) I'm just not sure where he fits. As frustrating as it seems, he very well could be Austin bound for one more season.

That's what I'm afraid of. I believe Finley still has an edge over Malik and Pop might play him at backup SF. However, Finley has never delivered well coming from the bench, so this season is still an unknown. I want the best player in there, but I'm also thinking of the next 2-3 years when Fin is gone, which makes me lean towards supporting Malik more.

ILoveOranges
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Didn't he have a good defensive game against lebron?

xellos88330
07-20-2009, 03:21 PM
He definitely made a case for himself during Summer League. In my book he would have earned early season playing time as backup SF. If he performs he sticks in the regular rotation.

AussieFanKurt
07-20-2009, 04:26 PM
i want to see Malik over Ime,
Maliks athletism and scoring ability is what takes him just that little bit over Udoka because otherwise they are similar

Ocotillo
07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Isn't he like 6'4"? If so, he likely would spend more time at back up shooting guard except in small ball lineups.

Austin would make sense because of where he likely ends up on the depth chart. At back up two, Manu, Mason and GHill are likely ahead of him in the rotation. At the three, RJ and Finley are likely to get more burn which means he is a practice player barring injury.

A lot of folks are ready to ship Finley off somewhere but with all the youth potentially ending up on the roster this year, Pop is likely to covet Fin's experience and veteran leadership.

benefactor
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
6'5.25 in shoes.

Ocotillo
07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
^^ He can play three but he will be smallish by NBA standards. That is the one thing I am beginning to be concerned with the Spurs line up is how small it is.

07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
^^ He can play three but he will be smallish by NBA standards. That is the one thing I am beginning to be concerned with the Spurs line up is how small it is.
hairston will be fine at third string SG/SF. udoka is 6'5 too but i think hariston has a longer wingspan. i'm guessing finley (6'7) will be the primary backup to jefferson who is 6'8 in shoes.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Hairston has a longer wingspan, better hops and has good shot-blocking ability. That makes up for the two inches in height he gives up to Fin.

dbestpro
07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Hairston is not tall enough or quick enough, which are two points he will never fix. He is nothing more than a more inexperienced version of Udoka. If Pops has to make a call between a healthy Marcus and Malik, Malik will be gone.

The Truth #6
07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Hairston is not tall enough or quick enough, which are two points he will never fix. He is nothing more than a more inexperienced version of Udoka. If Pops has to make a call between a healthy Marcus and Malik, Malik will be gone.

That's ludicrous. They're both solid prospects from the D-league with their own strengths and weaknesses. How is it that clear cut? Neither have done anything yet in the NBA. They both should be kept if possible.

BackHome
07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I think he is saying "IF" they have to make a choice they go with Williams. I like Harriston but Williams can play mutliple positions..pg,sg,sf...so I think his point is if they have to make a choice it will be with Williams who has more upside at this point.

dbestpro
07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I think he is saying "IF" they have to make a choice they go with Williams. I like Harriston but Williams can play mutliple positions..pg,sg,sf...so I think his point is if they have to make a choice it will be with Williams who has more upside at this point.

You read my mind.

ffadicted
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM
No way he's not with the spurs all year this season. He'll start slow with limited minutes, but could be seeing 10 - 12 MPG if he works hard and performs well

mystargtr34
07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Hes only 6'5" but he has a reach of 8'7.5" and wingspan of 6'9". Both are above average for his size, When you also factor in his strength and athleticism, he has good size and tools to play as a SF in the NBA.

mystargtr34
07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
For comparisons sake, last year Danny Green, who a few people wanted in this years draft in the second round as the long 3, measured slightly taller than Hairston, but Malik had a 3 inch vertical reach advantage. Both were measured in the evening. In this years draft camp however, everyone was measured in the morning so they were an inch taller than they really are, which is why Danny Green grew by and inch but his wingspan stayed the same :lol.

He also has the same reach as Mbah a Moute and Ronnie Brewer despite being 2 inches shorter than both, and a slightly better reach than Jeff Green and Corey Brewer, who are both in the 6'7" - 6'9" range.

exstatic
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM

It's funny that you appear to support Williams, then. One of the biggest knocks on him is limited athletic ability, on the NBA level. He's not quick, front to back or laterally.

Hairston has better athletic ability, and a more ready NBA body. Floor to head height is one of the more over rated attributes in a player. As has been stated here many times, you don't block shots, rebound, release your shot, or deflect the ball with the top of your head. If he has the proper vertical reach and wingspan, he can play the position.

VivaPopovich
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
ideally i want him right off the bench with george hill but i think pop is going to try to split backup SF minutes between him and finley

malik is athletic and he's strong, but i wouldnt say he has good D yet

jag
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Hairston is much, much more athletic than Udoka. He's also quicker than Udoka ever was.

HarlemHeat37
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Have these doubters actually watched Malik play?..he wasn't a liability at all defensively last season when he was playing in the NBA, even with his inexperience..he might not be as tall as you want your SF to be, but people still actually doubt his athletic ability?..that's the same mistake defensive players make against him..Spurs fans should know better, since we've actually seen this..he clearly has very good athleticism..he isn't as quick offensively, but that's due to his lack of ball-handling ability..he's clearly quick defensively..

I don't know what people are watching..all he needed to do was improve his shooting ability, and he clearly did that..

There isn't anything he's lacking to be a successful bench player in the NBA this season..

Hairston has some significant flaws..his ball-handling ability needs a lot of work, especially in traffic..same with his passing..not surprising at all though, since those are 2 of the main flaws you see in raw, athletic swingmen..

silverblackfan
07-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Have these doubters actually watched Malik play?..he wasn't a liability at all defensively last season when he was playing in the NBA, even with his inexperience..he might not be as tall as you want your SF to be, but people still actually doubt his athletic ability?..that's the same mistake defensive players make against him..Spurs fans should know better, since we've actually seen this..he clearly has very good athleticism..he isn't as quick offensively, but that's due to his lack of ball-handling ability..he's clearly quick defensively..

I don't know what people are watching..all he needed to do was improve his shooting ability, and he clearly did that..

There isn't anything he's lacking to be a successful bench player in the NBA this season..

Hairston has some significant flaws..his ball-handling ability needs a lot of work, especially in traffic..same with his passing..not surprising at all though, since those are 2 of the main flaws you see in raw, athletic swingmen..

Agreed. Malik is surprisingly athletic. He makes moves that have you checking the number on the jersey to be sure it was him. He looks pretty solid but can really get off the ground. He blocked a shot in the last SL game by jumping faster than the opponent could release.

SenorSpur
07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Malik has that "sneaky" athleticism. He's very deceptive in that, even when moving slowly, he can suddenly explode to the rim for a flush, or to contend a shot, or rebound the basketball. He looks to have good upper body strength and really gets up into guys when he wants to. He's certainly demonstrated some degree of physicality.

Let's not forget that he earned some spot minutes guarding both LeBron, Kobe and Josh Howard last year. Even though these were short stints, the kid demonstrated some moxie and he held his own. As was stated earlier, he's probably a better defender at this point, than he is an offensive player. However one year later, he clearly is a much better shooter than he was last year.

Fingaroll44
07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Hes only 6'5" but he has a reach of 8'7.5" and wingspan of 6'9". Both are above average for his size, When you also factor in his strength and athleticism, he has good size and tools to play as a SF in the NBA.

that makes 3 guys i know of in our camp w/ a wingspan above avg for his size. Malik, Georgie Porgie & DeJuan. Well at least we can say we'll have 3 guys make first team all-wingspan.:nerd

Obstructed_View
07-22-2009, 01:42 AM
that makes 3 guys i know of in our camp w/ a wingspan above avg for his size. Malik, Georgie Porgie & DeJuan. Well at least we can say we'll have 3 guys make first team all-wingspan.:nerd

Gist also has freakishly long arms. I'd bet that guys like Duncan and RJ do too. That said, virtually everyone in the NBA probably has pretty long arms. Josh Howard's got a longer wingspan than all those guys.