PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fight Taste Loss?

Hook Dem
04-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Quit Drinking Miller Lite! :lmao :lmao :lmao

Bandit2981
04-06-2005, 08:51 PM
bud and miller are awful(although i do like the high life on occasion)...my favorite domestics are shiner bock and sam adams! :)

IX_Equilibrium
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Yeah, the popular American beers are the worst. The oonly American beers I drink are more of regional beer like Shiner or Abita.

Otherwise, I am drinking beer from the UK, Mexico, Holland, or Belgium.

GoldToe
04-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I like my Bud. Red, White and Blue!

tsb2000
04-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Sam Adams. Always a good decision! :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2005, 12:20 AM
I like my Bud. Red, White and Blue!

Anyone remember Red, White and Blue beer? That stuff was nasty! But at $5.99 a case it was great for a bunch of 17 year olds looking to catch a buzz.

Hook Dem
04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Point being........those Miller Lite commercials are just about the most stupid thing to come along in a while! Can you lose taste from a foosball table? :rolleyes

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Budweiser is one of the best domestic brews... nice taste. the lights of all domestics pretty much suck..

gophergeorge
04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Point being........those Miller Lite commercials are just about the most stupid thing to come along in a while! Can you lose taste from a foosball table? :rolleyes

Really.... they need to fire that advertising firm... at least they got rid of the stupid Ref commercials....

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't typically enjoy light beers, but Shiner Light actually has flavor. Otherwise I prefer Guinness, Young's Oatmeal Stout, Young's Chocolate Stout, or Dos Equis. The big brewers in America have convinced most beer drinkers that beer actually doesn't have much flavor. That's why Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bud Light, and the rest of that ilk sell so well here.

Ironically, more Budweiser is consumed in Ireland than Guinness and more Guinness is consumed in Texas than Ireland. Go figure.

Jimcs50
04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
beer blows

bigzak25
04-07-2005, 11:13 AM
i drink beer for the alcohol, not for taste...so bud and coors original are good for me...go down like water and i like water....

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2005, 11:14 AM
How to fight beer taste loss?

http://www.alanjust.com/images/LSR-12bt-and-cans.jpg

Lone Star has LOTS of taste...

of course...I didn't say it had lots of GOOD taste...:lol

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't typically enjoy light beers, but Shiner Light actually has flavor. Otherwise I prefer Guinness, Young's Oatmeal Stout, Young's Chocolate Stout, or Dos Equis. The big brewers in America have convinced most beer drinkers that beer actually doesn't have much flavor. That's why Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bud Light, and the rest of that ilk sell so well here.

Ironically, more Budweiser is consumed in Ireland than Guinness and more Guinness is consumed in Texas than Ireland. Go figure.

interesting statistic, but do you have any links to back it up.. i can see how we drink more guiness... ireland is a small country.. as far as the more bud though that is the one i see as maybe not being true... it could be though.. bud is just about everywhere in the world except the czech republic..

Slomo
04-07-2005, 01:58 PM
interesting statistic, but do you have any links to back it up.. i can see how we drink more guiness... ireland is a small country.. as far as the more bud though that is the one i see as maybe not being true... it could be though.. bud is just about everywhere in the world except the czech republic..
Actually Budweiser beer in Europe is the original budweiser from the Czech brewery. I remember there was a law suit which was settled so that budweiser will sell under the name Bud in Europe (outside US?).

Shelly
04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
As for light beers, Amstel Light rules!

I cannot stand regualr Sam Adams, but the light version is pretty damn tasty.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Amstel light isn't bad, and neither is shiner light. But I prefer dark beers. Bring on Pete's Wicked Ale, Newcastle, Shiner, and the like for me. But I also like Dos XX and Shiner Blonde.

I don't think I've ever tried a Shiner brew I didn't like, but their Winter Brew is incredible.

tlongII
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Micro-brews rule!

Shelly
04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
The only dark I like is Dos XX.

Tsingtao is also good. My favorite is Bohemia.

desflood
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I stick with good ol' Corona, especially with some good enchiladas :)

BuffMacchio
04-07-2005, 04:13 PM
How Do You Fight Taste Loss?

i add a little whip cream to her sweetspot, oooyyysh.

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I've got a friend that runs an Irish pub here in Austin. The Guinness distributor here in town told him the stat on Budweiser in Ireland and Guinness in Texas. I found it a bit interesting as well. I think Guinness does well in college towns and Texas has few of them.

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 04:43 PM
My wife and I visit the Spoetzle Brewery (Shiner) about two or three times a year. An interesting fact about Shiner Blonde: it is the exact same recipe of the original Shiner beer or Shiner Premimum. When I was kid only old folks drank Shiner Premimum and the cool kids drank Bock. Shiner changed the name to Blonde and marketed it a younger audience and now it sells really well. I didn't used to like it when it was Premimum, but somehow amazingly I liked the Blonde. It's interesting what a new label, name, and maketing plan will do for your taste buds.

Another reason to drink Shiner is it is the last independently owned brewery in Texas. I love to root for the underdogs.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Amen on the underdog thing. It's nice to support local business.

jalbre6
04-07-2005, 05:49 PM
When I lived in Chicago about seven years ago, I would load up six to seven cases of Shiner in my hatchback every time I came home for my fellow misplaced Texan buddies. I was always terrified of getting pulled over in Missouri by some townie cop that thought I was bootlegging.

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Actually Budweiser beer in Europe is the original budweiser from the Czech brewery. I remember there was a law suit which was settled so that budweiser will sell under the name Bud in Europe (outside US?).

No, that is Budvar. There is still an ongoing lawsuit in Europe over who can use the Budweiser name. However, in Europe you still have the American Budweiser AND the Czech Budvar.

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 06:47 PM
oh yeah, American Budweiser was started in 1876 and the CZ version in 1895... That is probably another reason that US BUD has been winning most of the court cases over rights to the name all over the world.

Slomo
04-07-2005, 06:47 PM
No, that is Budvar. There is still an ongoing lawsuit in Europe over who can use the Budweiser name. However, in Europe you still have the American Budweiser AND the Czech Budvar. I wasn't aware that the lawsuit is still going on (It's probably a very important $$$ issue to both parties)

I am pretty sure that the american Budweiser is sold over here under the name of "Bud" and the Budvar made beer under the name of "Budweiser" (http://www.budvar.cz/budvar/budvar-web/product/cms//budvar-produkt/katalog_vyrobku/katalog_vyrobku/Lezak_0.3l_en.cms) which is IIRC the name of that beer from way back.

Actually google to the rescue: it seems that Anheuser Busch can again use the name Budweiser in EU. But it's a fairly recent decision. (http://www.washtimes.com/business/20050316-120119-5042r.htm)

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah, it is definitely the money. But like the article states, American Bud has made the brand global with their advertising. CZ BUD is trying to ride the coattails.

St. Louis -- Anheuser-Busch (NYSE: BUD), brewer of Budweiser, the best-selling beer in the world, successfully enforced its rights to the "Budweiser" and "Bud" trademarks in Italy.

The Italian Supreme Court ruled Czech Brewer, Budejovicky Budvar, must stop use of "Budweiser" and "Bud" as trademarks for its beer, securing Anheuser-Busch's exclusive right to use "Budweiser" and "Bud" as trademarks in Italy. The Court's decision is effective immediately. In addition, the Court dismissed Budejovicky Budvar's claims against Anheuser-Busch.

"The Italian Supreme Court's ruling to cancel Budejovicky Budvar's appellation of origin claim for Budweiser and Bud affirms that there is no geographic significance for beer," said Steve Burrows, president and chief executive officer, Anheuser-Busch International, Inc. "Anheuser-Busch began using the Budweiser trademark in 1876, 19 years before Budejovicky Budvar was established. Anheuser-Busch is the brewer that has successfully built the Budweiser and Bud trademarks around the world."

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=90911

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 07:06 PM
The best Czech beer is Pilsner Urquell. In the summer after mowing the lawn, there is no better beer to quench your thirst to.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Red, White, and Blue was the SHIT. (Literally.)

One time I had a layover in Pittsburgh. The only beers on tap were Iron City and Iron City Light.

baseline bum
04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Guiness is always my #1. Among light beers (my definition of light beer is beer that's not dark... lite beer isn't beer) my fav is prob Becks, followed by Dos XX, Heinneken, Corona and Modelo Especial. Newcastle and Negro Modelo are favs too. I've never tried a Shiner in my life, beacuse when I lived in Texas my drink was the 8-Ball (Olde English 800). Now I can't stand that crap... what an ass beer.