PDA

View Full Version : Spurs X-Factor for this upcoming year?

longlivefinley4
07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Who will be the guy in the shadows this year for the Spurs, that no one is expecting to have a breakout year but they actually have a season in which really helps out the spurs in making a run for the title.

My player is none other than Finley. Coming off a season of his best 3pt shooting, but overplayed minutes. He's no longer good for 30 mpg a game but I think he can provide a much needed offensive boost off of the bench and get us 8-10 ppg in about 10-15 mpg. The guy has proven he can shoot and coming off the bench this year with limited minutes I think will prove good for the Spurs this year.

WHO IS YOUR X-FACTOR?

MaNu4Tres
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Health......Period.

xellos88330
07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Mahinmi for me.

silverblackfan
07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
I think it is a good bet, but don't remember Finley coming off the bench shooting so well.
My money would be on George Hill. Of course, we are all hoping all the rookies are going to have a breakout year, but Hill would seem to be in the right position for being an X-Factor. Backup PG and getting better every game.

Juanobili
07-20-2009, 03:42 PM
DeJuan!

Muser
07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Health......Period.

sonic21
07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
findog

slick'81
ginobili if hes healthy and ready to go watch the fuck out

urunobili
Finely's minutes

SamoanTD
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
im lookin for haislip

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2009, 03:45 PM
McDyess.
People are getting so caught up with the youngins, some are forgetting that McDyess will be our starter and will probably be most depended on to resurrect any sense of a frontcourt when Tim isn't there.

hater
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
My player is none other than Finley.

:lmao

hater
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Dejuan no doubt

Guajalote
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Good health for the playoffs

weebo
07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Finely was a meager 9pts.-3 boards in 28 mins last year. What makes you think he can do as much or more in less minutes of playing time?

Finely is a class guy, but I just don't see how he will help much. Let's just hope Hairston/ Willams can be the primary back ups for RJ.

Juanobili
07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
The more I think about it... yeah... Hill could just have a breakout year. That'd be pretty sweet.

skervy
07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm split right now between Hill/Blair.

EmantheSpursFan
07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Haislip- if he can bring energy and a few blocked shots he will help us tremendously with mobile bigs.
Hill- if pop just trust hill as back up pg then thats already an upgrade over last season.
Blair-trying not to get myself to worked up over a rookie but man this guy is a beast.
But on top of all that is health!

SCdac
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Spurs haven't had such a deep team of legitimately talented players in awhile..... I feel like anybody can be an X-factor on any given night.

If Finley was putting up 9 points as a 4/5 option, imagine what Richard Jefferson will be able to do. I could very well see him being an X-factor when Duncan/Ginobili/Parker garner alot of attention.

sonic21
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM
scola?

Sausage
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Stop being a Finley homer.

He's a good guy, but your obsession with Michael Finley is a bit over the top.

If I were Michael Finley, I'd put a restraining order on you.

SonOfAGun
07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
George Hill

I remember one of the Laker games last reg. season where he definitely showed he can step up and be an impact guy against top level teams.

angelbelow
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Ggggggginobili!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudyez
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
even if you will kill me for that:
I think Bonner should be a X-factor
...just as some of you wrote about Finley, I think, if he can step in und hit some shots, that would be great...unless with Finley (where we have Mason, Manu, Jefferson, Hairston, Hill), we don't have another player on his position who can do that (not with so much range)...and sometimes we will just need it!

SpursWench21
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
im lookin for haislip

+1 I am looking for Haislip to break out as well. After seeing one or two of his videos (i know its not much) and reading about him on ST it seems like this guy is waiting to use his athleticism and explosiveness that was refined in Europe to show the league he can play...not to mention if he hits a decent amount of 3's/jumpers, hell become very important to our rotation very quickly. Heres to a hopeful future for Mr. Marcus Haislip :toast

I think both Jeff and Dyess will be consistent, but if any of them were to prove even more than they have, i would put Jefferson as my second x-factor. I really just believe that our overall improved athleticism is going to put us at a whole new level! :flag:

xellos88330
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
X-Factor: Whoever starts the game blog!

lotr1trekkie
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Without a doubt---George Hill. If he can't handle being Tony's backup then the Spurs need to go shopping again for a point guard again. We really haven't had one since Speedy. A backup PG who can contribute not just hold on to a lead. George is the man for this job.

wildbill2u
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Haislip could be the biggest surprise because no one knows much about him.

benefactor
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
My player is none other than Finley.

I think Bonner should be a X-factor

Correct on both. They will be packaged in a trade for Jeff Foster, who will prove to be the final piece in our front court puzzle.

Agloco
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Manu

/thread

z0sa
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
health health health.

Outside a healthy team and big 3, jefferson/mcdyess. Both these guys need to step to the plate and keep their hands full anytime they're on the court. We won't win a title without them doing so.

peskypesky
07-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Dejuan no doubt

yup.

concken
07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
health......period.

+1

antimvp
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Health......Period.

:toast

NRHector
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll say Pop, if he doesn't start his stupid experiments like last season:bang

bishopospurs
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I would say Blair, but there are high expectations for him this year so I don't see him as a sleeper. I think Ian will exceed the expectations alot of people have for him.

Sean Cagney
07-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Ian, I hope he stays healthy and gets some good mins over time. He is very athletic and young, and it appears can block shots and board too, hopefully that translates to the NBA.

SouthTexasRancher
07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Camby, once we trade Bonner, Finley and one of our 12-15 guys or a future 2nd round draft pick. We will then kick ass all the way through the playoffs.

peskypesky
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Camby, once we trade Bonner, Finley and one of our 12-15 guys or a future 2nd round draft pick. We will then kick ass all the way through the playoffs.

jesus christ, if we added Camby, i mean holy shit!
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

BuzzerBeater
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
'Scuse me for being simplistic but I think the "X" factor will be the TEAM.
Like the '99 team.
A unified force once again cutting through, scissors where one blade is lockdown defense and the other blade offensive firepower, once again cutting the opposition into little shards.
YEAH!!!!!!!

SouthTexasRancher
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
jesus christ, if we added Camby, i mean holy shit!
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

I realize it's a pipe dream but, he wants to hook up with a Championship team and Boston & LA don't have a place for him especially if they get Odom signed.

:flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::flag::ihit

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Bonner is definitely the X-Factor this year.. It will be important for him keep the teams morale up the whole game. You also don't want to underestimate his ability to quickly pass out Gatorade and water which will be essential during time outs and late game situations.

Danny.Zhu
07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Definitely Blair.

Come on, he is not a proven NBA player yet. If he can continue his rebounding performance in the college, he's our X factor.

OrEmuN
07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Malik Hairston. He may turn out to be a solid back up at 3

Interrohater
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
not enough people are talking about Haislip and I really think that he's gonna be a big part of our run this year. When a lot of posters here talk about our bigs, they forget Haislip, which is exactly what a X-factor is. The forgotten piece that ends up making a difference

bigdog
07-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Pop's beard.

Seventyniner
07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Manu

/thread

Spursfan 87
07-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Haislip

Spur|n|Austin
07-21-2009, 01:00 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZKtd6VWWbWg/SeqIKzrMRXI/AAAAAAAAKFY/9O5fjOoZRE0/s320/SpursFan7.jpg

I think we need to see more of him in the regular season.

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-21-2009, 01:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZKtd6VWWbWg/SeqIKzrMRXI/AAAAAAAAKFY/9O5fjOoZRE0/s320/SpursFan7.jpg

I think we need to see more of him in the regular season.

:lol Yeah I always see that guy on TV, he rocks! I live in AZ and my friend and I were wondering who he is? Anyone know?

SamoanTD
07-21-2009, 01:50 AM
not enough people are talking about Haislip and I really think that he's gonna be a big part of our run this year. When a lot of posters here talk about our bigs, they forget Haislip, which is exactly what a X-factor is. The forgotten piece that ends up making a difference
:toast

EmantheSpursFan
07-21-2009, 01:52 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/<object width=Matt Bonner=X factor

HarlemHeat37
07-21-2009, 01:56 AM
other than health..

#1. Ian Mahinmi's ability to produce and fill a clear need off the bench..
#2. Richard Jefferson's ability to play good defense..can he bring it back to his NJ days?..
#3. Malik Hairston..can he be our athletic slasher off the bench?..
#4. Marcus Haislip..

Rogue
07-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Who will be the guy in the shadows this year for the Spurs, that no one is expecting to have a breakout year but they actually have a season in which really helps out the spurs in making a run for the title.

My player is none other than Finley. Coming off a season of his best 3pt shooting, but overplayed minutes. He's no longer good for 30 mpg a game but I think he can provide a much needed offensive boost off of the bench and get us 8-10 ppg in about 10-15 mpg. The guy has proven he can shoot and coming off the bench this year with limited minutes I think will prove good for the Spurs this year.

WHO IS YOUR X-FACTOR?

I think Fin will be the most surprising x-factor next season. We have got so much expectation on the new gangsters like Dyess and Jefferson, that we almost take granted they will perform at high levels next season, but it remains a big question if they can fit well in. Plus, both dudes have histories of injuries and may miss plenty of games for that reason. Fin has been a spur for years and gets pretty well along with this team, probably he will find his role off the bench and continue to make great contributions next season despite the deprecation he received last season.

Rogue
07-21-2009, 05:09 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/%3Cobject%20width=Matt Bonner=X factor
Matt may be the x-element in some games by dropping some fluky 3 pointers, but definitely not for the whole season. And Matt will simply be a crap in the postseason when toughness and defense are required, checking his poor performances earlier in the series against Mavs this season for example.

benefactor
07-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Haislip and Ian are the major question marks on this team, but even if everyone else is healthy I don't see the Spurs going anywhere without Manu being Manu.
Indeed. If we are being honest with ourselves the other role players are insignificant on the grand scale. RJ and Dice are both perfect additions to this team and will bring things to the table that have been needed for quite some time...but at the end of the day the engine that pushes this ship to the Finals is Manu Ginobili.

BuzzerBeater
07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
:lol Yeah I always see that guy on TV, he rocks! I live in AZ and my friend and I were wondering who he is? Anyone know?

That is a vet of many a Spurs playoff game. He's known around these parts as
THE VALVOLINE MAN.:lol

He's the manager rep of the local Valvoline distributorship here in SA
and used to wear his Valvoline tshirt first couple of playoffs but then stopped.

I want to be seeing him onscreen come May and June for obvious reasons. If you've noticed, he doesn't "get into the camera" like a lot of other fans. Prob why they don't change his seating.

superbigtime
07-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I think everyone is sleeping on Malik Hairston. If he gets the minutes, he will produce. Also I think that George Hill will have an improved year and will be a solid player this season. There are so many new players who will have an impact...pretty exciting time to be a Spurs fan.

Chieflion
07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I think the Spurs X-Factor is Gregg Popovich. His decisions during game time is very important.

Spursmania
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.bballone.com/manug/spurs/images/spurs14.jpg

To Health! :toast

mountainballer
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
...but at the end of the day the engine that pushes this ship to the Finals is Manu Ginobili.

totally agree. we can talk about other players as much as we want (even some naive hopes that Ian or another rookie becomes the x-faktor), but no other player could ever be a real x-faktor like Manu is.

spursfan1000
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
On this 1 im going to have to go with George Hill. If he does good on the backup PG position it wil be great if not POP is going to not trust him and its going to cause some problems, and we would still be making rotations come playoff time.

DaBears
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I expect to see combination of breakout preformances from GHILL, Ian Mah, and hope Haslip, Blair just would like to see him not turn out to be a bust, hope his game improves and can contribute but dont expect him to be any kind of savior right away. Marcus Williams hopefully can help out when called upon. More than anything just want the big 3-4 now to stay healthy......... Finley not sure what to expect maybe just have him active is all that should be asked at this point in career.... Bonner well i see him not having as much playing time this yr and might be a trading peice later on.....

spursfan1000
07-21-2009, 09:32 AM
totally agree. we can talk about other players as much as we want (even some naive hopes that Ian or another rookie becomes the x-faktor), but no other player could ever be a real x-faktor like Manu is.

I think no matter what Manu would be good so I wouldent really call him the X-factor, unless you said his injuries were the X-factor which I could agree on.

DaBears
07-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Spurs have plenty of bigs this yr. Not to include TD: Blair, Ian, Mcd, Haslip, Bonner

Rogue
07-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I think no matter what Manu would be good so I wouldent really call him the X-factor, unless you said his injuries were the X-factor which I could agree on.
Spurs will still have only big 3 rather than big 4 if Manu get demoted to an x-factor instead of a big one as he used to be considered. I don't have any doubt a healthy Manu is still a superstar and could have helped Spurs beat our Mavs earlier in the playoffs, but his own injury has become the biggest enemy in his way rather than any defender or stopper.

all_heart
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
great thread..
there are many x factors this coming season (beyond health), I think everybody listed so far could be an x-factor on any given night and throughout the season, one could argue for spots 6-12 being x-factors and be right. I think any x-factor for the Spurs would have to play at least 18+ minutes a game, somebody that could have a significant impact on both offense and D. So if I had to narrow it down to 3, my choices would be (not in any specific order)...
RJ- getting paid the big bucks, expected to provide plenty of offense and will have to learn the Spurs system.
Blair- rookie with something to prove, rebounding machine, something the Spurs lacked horribly last year.
Manu- he understands the team needs him to be healthy and effective and this is a contract year. So his future value is riding on how effective he is this season.

Ian was also a possible top 3 for me. Hairston and Haislip could be serious X-factors, but we just don't know how many minutes they'll get to show their skills and become X-factors. Hill and Mason, both in second years, I'm sure Hill will have a better showing if given the minutes and Mason will like to redeem himself after last years burnout. I'm sure he wants Hill to be on top of his game, that means he won't have to play any PG.