PDA

View Full Version : NBA Defends Age Minimum To Congress

duncan228
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
NewsBreak: NBA defends age minimum to Congress (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-congress-nba&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Frederic J. Frommer

The NBA defended its minimum age requirement to Congress, but a critical lawmaker was unmoved and is asking to meet with top league officials to discuss it, according to letters obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The rule, which is part of the league’s collective bargaining agreement with the players union, requires that players be at least 19 years old and a year out of high school before entering the league. Last month, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., urged the league and union to scrap the requirement in the next collective bargaining agreement, calling it unfair.

NBA President Joel Litvin told Cohen in a recent letter the purpose of the requirement is to promote the league’s business interests by “increasing the chances that incoming players will have the requisite ability, experience, maturity and life skills” to perform at a high level. The policy also helps teams make informed hiring decisions, he wrote.

In addition, he said, players get an extra year to mature and develop, making it more likely they can handle the challenges of being an NBA player.

Litvin said the policy is motivated by “business considerations,” not a desire to force players to attend college against their wishes.

He wrote that many employers require job candidates to have post-high school experience, and that the U.S. Constitution sets minimum ages for House members, senators and the president. Given that, “we do not understand your objection” to the rule, Litvin wrote.

In a letter sent to Litvin Monday, Cohen maintained that players should have the “economic freedom” to make their own decisions. He said he understood that the policy may help the league in its scouting and hiring decisions.

“However, my concern is that the players who must abide by this rule are harmed by the league’s pursuit of these business interests,” the congressman wrote, adding that the “age discrimination” prevents players from supporting their families.

The policy increases the chance that such players will be injured before getting the chance to play in the NBA, he added.

“I am concerned that the careers of young men who possess all the skills necessary to succeed in the NBA,” Cohen wrote, “may be sacrificed in favor of the bottom lines of the teams on which they hope to play.”

Cohen, a member of the House Judiciary Committee, asked for a meeting with Litvin and Commissioner David Stern. Cohen has said that that he’d consider both hearings and legislation if the requirement remains.

Neither the NBA nor the union immediately responded to requests for comment Monday.

xellos88330
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I am somewhat 50/50 on this. I think the NBA will have better quality players coming from this law. But I do not like this law because at the same time, it allows Euro clubs to potentially steal the talent.

DPG21920
07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
NewsBreak: NBA defends age minimum to Congress (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-congress-nba&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Frederic J. Frommer

The NBA defended its minimum age requirement to Congress, but a critical lawmaker was unmoved and is asking to meet with top league officials to discuss it, according to letters obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

The rule, which is part of the league’s collective bargaining agreement with the players union, requires that players be at least 19 years old and a year out of high school before entering the league. Last month, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., urged the league and union to scrap the requirement in the next collective bargaining agreement, calling it unfair.

NBA President Joel Litvin told Cohen in a recent letter the purpose of the requirement is to promote the league’s business interests by “increasing the chances that incoming players will have the requisite ability, experience, maturity and life skills” to perform at a high level. The policy also helps teams make informed hiring decisions, he wrote.

In addition, he said, players get an extra year to mature and develop, making it more likely they can handle the challenges of being an NBA player.

Litvin said the policy is motivated by “business considerations,” not a desire to force players to attend college against their wishes.

He wrote that many employers require job candidates to have post-high school experience, and that the U.S. Constitution sets minimum ages for House members, senators and the president. Given that, “we do not understand your objection” to the rule, Litvin wrote.

In a letter sent to Litvin Monday, Cohen maintained that players should have the “economic freedom” to make their own decisions. He said he understood that the policy may help the league in its scouting and hiring decisions.

“However, my concern is that the players who must abide by this rule are harmed by the league’s pursuit of these business interests,” the congressman wrote, adding that the “age discrimination” prevents players from supporting their families.

The policy increases the chance that such players will be injured before getting the chance to play in the NBA, he added.

“I am concerned that the careers of young men who possess all the skills necessary to succeed in the NBA,” Cohen wrote, “may be sacrificed in favor of the bottom lines of the teams on which they hope to play.”

Cohen, a member of the House Judiciary Committee, asked for a meeting with Litvin and Commissioner David Stern. Cohen has said that that he’d consider both hearings and legislation if the requirement remains.

Neither the NBA nor the union immediately responded to requests for comment Monday.

Owned.

LnGrrrR
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Weird hobbyhorse for a politician to have. Is his son a highly touted prospect? :lol

Culburn369
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Lobbyists for team owners will prevail again. Forcing the kids to give their talent away for a year, even for a moment without just and open wage bargaining is despicable and without merit.

LnGrrrR
07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Lobbyists for team owners will prevail again. Forcing the kids to give their talent away for a year, even for a moment without just and open wage bargaining is despicable and without merit.

How is it despicable? If it produces a better product for the NBA, then they can and should do so.

The open wage bargaining is acceptable because, while they are technically 30 different companies, the NBA is considered one company/league/whatever as a WHOLE, meaning they can get away with things businesses normally can't.

Culburn369
07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
How is it despicable? If it produces a better product for the NBA, then they can and should do so.

The open wage bargaining is acceptable because, while they are technically 30 different companies, the NBA is considered one company/league/whatever as a WHOLE, meaning they can get away with things businesses normally can't.

Getting away with it, Ln, doesn't make it right.

sabar
07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Boohoo, they don't have a chance to make more money in a 2 year contract out of high school than I'll make in my entire life.

v2freak
07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Right, sabar. Aside from what many people see as a job market necessary of restructuring so that athletes are not so overpaid, I think the age minimum is a good idea. Maybe it will end up encouraging some players to go to college where they'll have something to fall back on if their dreams of playing in the NBA don't pan out. I've seen the talk parents have with their kids a million times, right after the 'you can do anything you put your mind to' talk. Should the US encourage so much ambition of playing in the NBA?

manufan10
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Owned.

Agreed.

LnGrrrR
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Getting away with it, Ln, doesn't make it right.

I disagree. I think the NBA is within its rights.

Did you hear about the Supreme Court case that might be coming up, with the clothing manufacturer against the NFL? If taken, it will have long-term ramifications on all sports leagues, as it will decide this very question.

jag
07-20-2009, 09:00 PM

This is what people refuse to accept. The NBA has the right to look out for its better interests.

Pistons < Spurs
07-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I'd be all for them increasing it to a 2 years removed from high school.

BRHornet45
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
sons I always laugh whenever people bring up the argument that "these kids need college to fall back on" ... as if college is going anywhere?

Put yourself in their shoes. you're an 18 year old kid straight out of high school and coming from a very poor family ... or hell, even a middle class family. you are able to go into the NBA draft and guaranteed to be a top 15 pick or at least in the first round ... which in return is also guaranteeing you financial security for the rest of your life (if you have enough sense to poke piss out of a boot).

So what if 2-3 years down the road the player becomes a bust or has a career ending injury? he has already made at least 4-5 million dollars or more in those first 2 seasons. that is more money than most people in this country will earn in their entire lives and he is only in his early 20's. the college excuse is lame. let em do what they want.

exstatic
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM

+1 Too many of these extreme early entry cases are coming up with knee injuries from the pounding of the 82 game season. A young man's bone plates don't completely close until he is 25. Give it a few years.

I don't think young players need college, per se, but they need college basketball as a springboard between the too too easy comp of HS and the crucible of the NBA. Most of these kids have no idea how to play basketball in HS. They just dominate athletically, and they can't do that when they hit the NBA. They need fundamental coaching and practices, two things in short supply in the NBA.

Amaso
07-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Most of the players that want to go to the NBA straight out of high school are at least as good as some of the bench players in the NBA, at the very minimum, some like Lebron James are good enough to be all-stars their first years.

It's a stupid rule the NBA implemented, and it really has no benefits for the basketball player at all. The NBA claims they want the player to go to college so he can have an education to fall back on, because the NBA isn't "guaranteed" for everyone. Think about it this way, that high school kid signs a 3 year, $9-10 million dollar contract, which assuming he retires at the age of 65, is approximately over $200,000 of annual salary in 3 years of work. That's more than any of these kids would've made with some sort of education.

kromediablo
07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
daym gina looking real good there ^^^^^

daslicer
07-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Most of the players that want to go to the NBA straight out of high school are at least as good as some of the bench players in the NBA, at the very minimum, some like Lebron James are good enough to be all-stars their first years.

It's a stupid rule the NBA implemented, and it really has no benefits for the basketball player at all. The NBA claims they want the player to go to college so he can have an education to fall back on, because the NBA isn't "guaranteed" for everyone. Think about it this way, that high school kid signs a 3 year, $9-10 million dollar contract, which assuming he retires at the age of 65, is approximately over $200,000 of annual salary in 3 years of work. That's more than any of these kids would've made with some sort of education.

I agree hundred percent with you on everything you said thats pretty much how I feel about that issue. I will just add this the crap about the kids needing a college education to fall back on is mainly a marketing PR move by Stern to please the average fan and consumer. On this board has a lot of yuppies that keep on insisting that these kids need to go to college even though the top talent is nba ready which makes no sense. Logically if you can do the job at 18 then why wait for age 19 or 20 it makes no sense.

PM5K
07-21-2009, 01:20 AM
I said this on ESPN and I'll say it here, if the NBPA agrees to it, and the owners agree to it, congress can go suck an egg.

v2freak
07-21-2009, 02:18 AM

Okay but how many players make it to the NBA? Then give me a number of how many people in the world have only one goal, and that goal is to play in the NBA? Divide the answer to question 1 by the answer to question 2 and that's the percentage of folks who have their dreams of playing in the NBA realized. And if it's not 100% then it's gonna mean young kids with little to no skills, representing a leakage in the economy.

I agree hundred percent with you on everything you said thats pretty much how I feel about that issue. I will just add this the crap about the kids needing a college education to fall back on is mainly a marketing PR move by Stern to please the average fan and consumer. On this board has a lot of yuppies that keep on insisting that these kids need to go to college even though the top talent is nba ready which makes no sense. Logically if you can do the job at 18 then why wait for age 19 or 20 it makes no sense.

Similarly you could argue the law of not being able to join the military until 18 is just as bogus. The average person's white matter does not finish developing until he or she is 25. So if you can "do the job" in the NBA at 18, why not 17, or 16? or 15? The door swings both ways.

TDMVPDPOY
07-21-2009, 02:23 AM
alot of athletes go broke anyway in this case nba players, either stay back 1 year take financial classes to better deal with their shit or end up in the nba for 3yrs with money only to be a busts and kicked out of the league and living on that money then to waste it all with poor money management.

LnGrrrR
07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Look, I'm not saying kids who are NBA-ready couldn't cut it at 18. I'm just saying the NBA has a right to make rules regarding who they hire, and restrictions on their hiring policies.

ElNono
07-21-2009, 08:06 AM
You can't even compare a basketball player career with that of the President, Senators or House speakers. A basketball player also has a natural upper limit on age. You average NBA player ends his career at age 35 (and I'm being generous here). Very rare cases make it to the 40's. Not to mention there's a possibility that an injury can end their career even earlier. So every extra year you keep this person out can make a big difference.
None of these things really apply to the government positions. They're just two completely different realities.

Chieflion
07-21-2009, 08:31 AM
If you can fight for the army at 18, why can't you join the fucking NBA?

LnGrrrR
07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
If you can fight for the army at 18, why can't you join the fucking NBA?

Because the NBA can say you can't? *shrug*

I don't see why the NBA shouldn't have the right to determine who they will employ.

Chieflion
07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Because the NBA can say you can't? *shrug*

I don't see why the NBA shouldn't have the right to determine who they will employ.
The previous policy of allowing high school phenoms to join were fine and generated a lot of hype and revenue for the NBA. See Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Amar'e Stoudamire, LeBron James and maybe even Andrew Bynum. There is not as much hype in recent drafts as before 2005. Although you might point out names like Kwame Brown, at least he is still a decent center.

resistanze
07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't care either way. But really, the whole "college to fall back on" seems like an excuse. Most kids who are destined for the NBA aren't in college for school. They take one year of communications, get preferential treatment, and are groomed for the NBA. Only a few highly touted players per year were even being selected from high school in the first place.

Hell, how many players stay in college the entire four years anyways?

Chieflion
07-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't care either way. But really, the whole "college to fall back on" seems like an excuse. Most kids who are destined for the NBA aren't in college for school. They take one year of communications, get preferential treatment, and are groomed for the NBA. Only a few highly touted players per year were even being selected from high school in the first place.

I could name you one that the Raptors would regret passing over. Brandon Roy.

v2freak
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
You can't even compare a basketball player career with that of the President, Senators or House speakers. A basketball player also has a natural upper limit on age. You average NBA player ends his career at age 35 (and I'm being generous here). Very rare cases make it to the 40's. Not to mention there's a possibility that an injury can end their career even earlier. So every extra year you keep this person out can make a big difference.
None of these things really apply to the government positions. They're just two completely different realities.

True. I guess keeping a player from joining the NBA could mean a difference between 80 million dollars and 70 million dollars, or something to that effect.

daslicer
07-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Thats another reason I hate it because the majority of these kids have no desire to be in college. Hell I live in ACC country in NC and I know plenty of stories and know a few nba players who have told me about their playing days at UNC and how they would skip and cut class all the time knowing the professors would bend the rules along with giving them passing grades for not doing shit. It really makes a mockery of the education system when these guys are going to these top schools but not taking the classes seriously and thats why I prefer they have the right to go to the NBA at 18.

Chieflion
07-22-2009, 06:54 AM
There was a video with Roy and Amar'e talking about the age limit some time back on youtube. They personally feel that the age limit is crap.

ElNono
07-22-2009, 08:01 AM
True. I guess keeping a player from joining the NBA could mean a difference between 80 million dollars and 70 million dollars, or something to that effect.

Or if he gets a career ending injury playing college ball the year he had to sit out, it could very well mean a difference between some millions (considering rookie scale contract and endorsements) and absolutely zero.
Plus my point was that comparing athletes and government positions is completely nonsensical.

SpuronyourFace
07-22-2009, 09:50 AM

I'd love to see that, just so college basketball can matter more.

diego
07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
as i understand it, a large part of the problem is that there is no comparable alternative to the NBA. In other countries you have the pro league and several semi pro and amateur leagues all affiliated under the same FIBA umbrella, but in the US you have the NBA, Dleague, and college, and the differences in income from one to the other are very steep.

for a young player its NBA or bust, literally. if the college teams paid them to play instead of giving them a scholarship they cant tangibly value, I'm sure you'd see the players recognize to which segment they belong- straight to the NBA (I'm ready), go to college for a while (I need to develop) or go to college for good (I'm not going to cut it). In fact, you could have the college teams pay the players, say 100.000 each. of that 100.000, say 15% is kept by the school in a player's fund. (they are not going to class during this time, just training all day). if the player leaves school to go pro, he can collect the accumulated 15% the college has been keeping 3 years after leaving. and if things dont work out, either because of injury, bust, doesnt get drafted, whatever, he can forfeit that money and use it as tuition. you could finetune the numbers but that seems fair to me, its not like the colleges would lose money and that way the players get a fair shake.

now as others have said this is an agreement between owners and players union so others opinion dont really matter. but I think that, if the issue is improving the opportunities of young players and trying to minimize the number of kids who dont make it and have nothing else to fall back on, that you need to reform the intermediate / lower levels (college) before going to the highest level (nba).

jacobdrj
07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Companies can have policies... But each franchise is a different company. These companies WANT TO HIRE THESE PLAYERS... Therefore the NBA as an organization is blocking adults from being hired... It is wrong. If the NBA wants to avoid this problem, let them have a real farm system. Nobody is bitching at baseball or hockey about this.

Why should big schools get paid on these players' dime (sans a fake education) when they don't want to be there, and in reality, they are hurting the school, and the potential for real 'student athletes' who have no chance of making it to the 'pros' from being able to seek an athletic scholarship...