PDA

View Full Version : Ime Udoka Looks For The Right Fit After Contract With Spurs Expires

duncan228
07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Ime Udoka looks for the right fit after contract with Spurs expires (http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/07/ime_udoka_looks_for_the_right.html)
by Geoffrey C. Arnold
The Oregonian

This summer will likely be a season of change for Ime Udoka.
Three weeks into the summer free-agent season, Udoka does not have a contract. But Udoka's agent said the former Portland State star could know where he will play next season by the end of the week.

"We're talking to a lot of teams," agent Mark Bartelstein said, though he declined to name the teams. "I think within the week, there's a really good chance we'll probably do a deal."

Udoka completed his two-year contract with San Antonio and would have liked to stay with the team, but the Spurs have yet to offer him a new contract. That puts Udoka on the free agent market after an inconsistent year last season, though there's still a chance he could return to the Spurs.

"We'll see what teams step up and make an offer," Udoka said. "Whoever comes up with the best offer and the best situation, that's what it will come down to."

Udoka's production dropped off last season compared with his first season with the Spurs. The 6-foot-5 swingman's minutes declined to 15.4 minutes a game -- down from 18.3 minutes during the 2007-08 season. With less playing time, his numbers dropped in every significant statistical category last season compared to his first season (2007-08) in San Antonio.

Udoka, who played one season in Portland before signing with San Antonio, hoped his contract season would be good, particularly after Manu Ginobili was sidelined for the first 12 games of the regular season while recovering from off-season left ankle surgery. But it was Roger Mason, not Udoka, who took advantage of Ginobili's absence and gained the confidence San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich and earned extra minutes.

Udoka played sparingly in December, but his minutes gradually increased for the remainder of the season. Udoka played better toward the end of the season, but when the Spurs were eliminated in the first round (their earliest exit since 2000), changes were inevitable.

"I had an inconsistent year and our team had an inconsistent year," Udoka said. "When you get (knocked) out in the first round, changes are gonna be made. That's just part of the deal, especially for a franchise like San Antonio, where championships are expected."

The Spurs biggest move of the summer was acquiring Richard Jefferson in a trade that sent Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen to Milwaukee. Jefferson plays small forward, the same position as Udoka.

"I'm not sure what my percentage is in coming back," Udoka said. "The (trade to acquire) Richard Jefferson -- I kind of saw what direction they were going in."

Udoka, knowing he could be parting from San Antonio, hired Bartelstein, a high-profile agent, to represent him. Bartelstein replaced Udoka's former agent Erin Cowan, who remains a close friend. Bartelstein said Udoka's versatility and "team-first" attitude are positive attributes.

"He's a terrific defender and he brings great toughness to a team. His character is a huge piece of who he is. He's a guy you can play 30 minutes a night and he'll help you win big games like he did with San Antonio," Bartelstein said. "He can play a more limited role, and he's still gonna be a terrific teammate. There are a lot of things he can bring to a team."

Udoka said Mason suggested Bartelstein would be the right agent for him, because he specializes in representing players who are not necessarily stars.

"His track record is proven -- a guy who is able to find mid-level guys good deals," Udoka said. "He looks for certain types of clients and I fit that mold."

Udoka has dialed back his usual off-season conditioning program, making sure he remains injury-free during the negotiating period. Meanwhile, he is keeping himself occupied with his Portland-based AAU basketball team that will compete in Las Vegas this week and preparing for his week-long basketball camp, scheduled to begin August 3 at Portland State University.

"I always want to give back to the community," Udoka said. "And it helps take my mind off the basketball business for a little while."

45 bank shot
07-20-2009, 05:53 PM
good riddance ime, and good luck

Spurs Brazil
07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I hope Ime can find a team but not the Spurs

Obstructed_View
07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Good guy, bad fit for the Spurs.

weebo
07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Ime will be remembered as an underachiever with the Spurs. When he first signed, everyone had high hopes for this guy. I can't say he can or can't play at an NBA level, but what I do know is this guy wasn't a right fit for the Spurs system of play. Good luck to Ime, at least not aganist the Spurs.

dbestpro
07-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Would like to see Portland resign him, but they already seem to have too many position players.

afireinside20
07-20-2009, 06:23 PM
See ya later Ime! Maybe the Lakers will pick him up and ruin their team lol

mando6599
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It was a miracle if he could jump 2 inches off the floor. He couldn't finish at the rim as he would always attempt a layup and it would get blocked everytime. And he made poor choices with and without the ball too. He's just not very athletic and right now the direction the Spurs are going is young and athletic. Cya Ime.

mando

Thompson
07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Good luck Ime. Hope you do well somewhere.

z0sa
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
The right fit was never SA, sadly, though I will never forget him all of a sudden making some bigtime plays/shots against NO in 08.

spurs opsman
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Good Bye! Ime and good luck, it just did'nt work out for some reason here. I can see him signing with Miami if they end up losing Moon.

SenorSpur
07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Best of luck to Ime. He was a warrior, and a consummate team player. He was an underachiever, yet surprisingly not as good of a defender as advertised. He simply didn't pan out the way many of us, and the Spurs, would've liked. If only he were about 3 inches taller and a tad bit more athletic. Still, he's a good guy and I hope he lands on a team that can really use him.

completely deck
07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
He played good one playoff series but thats about it. Really was a bust, and it sucks because he seemed to always play hard.

duncan228
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I had high hopes for him last season after he'd had time in the system. I'm disappointed that he couldn't rise, he seemed to be a good character fit for the team. I wish him the best, hope he lands somewhere that he can contribute.

bigdog
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
He had his moments with the Spurs, but overall he wasn't that great here. Good luck to him, and I hope he finds a team.

peskypesky
07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Good luck, Ime!

He was a decent fellow and he tried, but he just didn't have a lot of innate skills. If I were him I'd go to Europe, make some sweet money and have a blast.

BOHOLANO#21
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
goodluck ime. hope things work out with another team.

rjv
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
a tough defender who was just a couple of inches too short.

and he can always go to into MMA.

angelbelow
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
If Ime could hit his damn shots, he would have been a great fit. But he didn't shoot well, didn't defend well, just wasn't effective at all.

alchemist
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
When he arrived everyone was excited to have another defender to throw at teams with Bruce, unfortunately like in Kurt's case injuries really hampered what role players provided. I appreciate everything he did, wish him the best.

DMX7
07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
good guy, bad fit for the spurs.

+1

DJB
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Thank god this guy won't be on our team anymore.
:danceclub

ManuTP9
07-20-2009, 09:11 PM
good luck ime!

http://i28.tinypic.com/fktbuu.jpg

ManuTP9
07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
it would be funny if ime returns back to the spurs

timtonymanu
07-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Best of luck to you, Ime! Sorry it didn't work out. Hopefully you'll find a team where you can be contribute.

hater
07-20-2009, 09:17 PM
let's be honest. dude blows

elbamba
07-20-2009, 09:35 PM
The problem with Ime is that we all expected Bruce and when we didn't get that we wrote him off as an underachiever. He posted some good offensive numbers on a bad Portland team, he really played for us about as good as he could play. That said, I will not mind missing his presence on the team this year.

Solid D
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Spurs will miss Ime's toughness. Ime struggled to hit his shots but Pop used him at 3 positions last year including playing the 4 at 6'-5". He stayed late for practices and put in his work, seemingly without complaining.

Malik Hairston is the new Ime.

pawe
07-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Goodluck Ime!
I always mistake him as TP when they're on the floor together.

SouthTexasRancher
07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
So much potential gone south. The guy really needs to get with the program with his new team.

jimo2305
07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
ime wasn't all THAT bad as some ofy'all are painting him out to be..

Udokafan05
07-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Udoka>Hairston. He was playing well in Dallas series, and then pop pulled him for no reason. Hopefully he resigns due to a trade of finley.

Danny.Zhu
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Good luck. But his defense sucks.

loveforthegame
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I can see him ending up in Dallas. They had interest in him the same time we did and the Mavs just struck out on Barnes.

Good luck but I'd rather see Hairston get his roster spot.

DJB
07-20-2009, 11:14 PM
let's be honest. dude blows

:tu

rayray2k8
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Just be glad that we don't have to see that arm stain anymore. XD

ploto
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Never quite understood how quickly the excitement over signing Ime turned to hate. People were gloating at the Spurs getting Ime two years ago.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73847&highlight=sign+udoka

As far as unrestricted free agents, the two I like most for the Spurs are James Posey and Ime Udoka. Posey for a starting salary at around $3M would be nice. However, he probably gets more.

Udoka would be an absolutely perfect Bowen replacement ... except for the fact that he's 6-foot-5. Udoka can defend, rebound a little bit, decent pass, doesn't turn the ball over and is a +40% three point shooter. He's had the same type of career that Bowen had before joining the Spurs and he's the same age that Bowen was when the Spurs signed him.

Portland has said they want him back but after they drafted like 38 players, I'm not sure they have the room. If the Spurs could get him for a couple million, he'd be a pretty decent signing. His only drawback is his height, but if he were 6-foot-7 he'd cost two or three times as much.

Another thing about Udoka is he shoots most of his shots from the corner threes just like Bowen ... and Udoka hit those shots at a 42% clip this past season.

Although the Spurs still need a long three, I think the search for a replacement of what Bowen does ends if the Spurs sign Udoka.

crc21209
07-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Sorry Ime....your time is up here. We have Jefferson, Fin, and Hairston at your spot already.

whottt
07-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Ime played pretty well at times, and he also played pretty poorly at times. He lacked consistency more than anything else.

He has a sneaky way of being able to change the momentum of a game that not many NBA players have. There were some times where he legitimately pulled the Spurs out of tailspins in big games, pretty much single handedly, the problem is the next night he might be just as likely to come in and play completely clueless when it came to decision making and ball handling.

Overall though, I think he played well under pressure when given the opportunity. That's probably when his best moments as a Spur came.

He never plays afraid...he's just inconsistent. Probably because he doesn't have a lot of NBA level talent.

Overall though I wish him well. I wouldn't mind him being resigned for the min but I doubt it will happen.

GL Ime, you had and have a great attitude and sorry things didn't work out :tu